Unilever Interview Questions

Updated 18 Apr 2015

3.1

Interview

1. Online Application
    2. Reasoning Tests
    3. Telephone Interview - length around 60 minutes, easygoing and relaxed interview. All competency questions based on their values of leadership (can be found on their webpage). Motivation questions about why Unilever, why the FMCG, why the programme. Additional question about the current economical issues that Unilever is facing.

Interview Questions

• Typical competency based question based on their values of leadership   Answer Question

Scientist Job (R&D) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Unilever (London, England).

Interview

I received a phone interview that lasted for about one hour. The first 30 min was about checking my background and why I was considering moving onto from my current job. Questions were not too difficult regarding personal decisions and career move.
    Then, the next 30 min was about competency and behaviour-based, plus skills-based questions. For behaviours-based questions, think I gave logical answers, being true experience from work life.

It ran into difficulties when asking my research and science skills. The interviewer obviously does not know anything about science. So I was asked to spell out every single technical terms for every single technique I have learnt. It hindered me to truely showcase my resesrch experience. This part of conversation almost paralyzed and it stopped me from telling the interviewer more of my research experience and skills due to the lack of understanding of the interviewer in the resesrch process. I mentioned "literature reviews" when answering one of the behaviour-based questions about "decision making" under Biased for Action. The interviewer did not seem to get what I meant. Then I needed to explain clearly what it means.

Another crap was the interviewer was typing to record what I had said, making the whole conversation less natural and smooth, not like a conversation at all. It was because I needed to speak very slowly to enable the interviewer to have time to type everything, being very disruptive to the point of view of interviewee. It also made me feel a bit unease because of that. Sometimes, the interviewer kept saying "slow down, please". I need to type!!!

In my opinions, recruitment and interviewing of professional science jobs in specialist fields should be carried out by the persons with a relevant science backgrounds, not by those admin people of HR. This kind of bureaucracy could hinder getting the best talents.

All in all, it was a positive experience as at least I have learnt a lesson how to answer questions to admin HR people with no science background at all when applying for professional science jobs in speciality field. It is probably a common practice in industry during recruitment. That is something to bear in mind.

That also means I am also qualified for interviewing an engineer for a specialty engineering job, though I don't have any engineering qualification and background at all.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Unilever.

Interview

Online application followed by a numerical reasoning test and what is basically a comprehension test. Time limits for the tests are very tight, I didn't even get close to finishing. However the actual questions are relatively easy. Following this there was a 30 minute phone interview, completely based around the 5 standards on leadership, one question on each. Following this there is an assessment day held in London. Here there were 3 activities, a face to face interview, a case study and a group discussion activity. The interview was quite informal. The case study was particularly challenging, had to from a collection of documents address 3 main issues a fictional company was having when merging with a smaller company. Particularly challenging due to the time limit of 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time where you had an idea and needed to get the support of others? How did you go about it?   Answer Question
    • Who would you say was the main market rival of Unilever? What is it about Unilever that attracts you over them?   Answer Question

Programmer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Unilever (London, England) in March 2015.

Interview

Online application the form requires a lot of detail but that's actually quite good. I had a phone call and email to arrange Skype interview. After interview didn't hear back and emailed for feedback. Still no response.

Interview Questions

• Questions around their leadership behaviours   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Unilever.

Interview

The interview process follow 4 stage process: Fist of all the CV screening, if you are successful there is the telephone interview. If you are successful the Assessment Day where it will be needed to spend all day in the ofices with different activities and personal interviews and finally, if you are successful you will have the Job offer.

Interview Questions

• Competitors of Unilever, and what Unilever does different.   Answer Question

Future Leaders Program - BTM Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Unilever.

Interview

Online Application
    Online Tests
    Telephone Interview
    Assessment Centre (still waiting to do the ac!)

The telephone interview is just competency based. The interviewer was nice and friendly and it was a positive experience. Waiting to do my ac on Tuesday, wish me luck glassdoor people!

Interview Questions

• What are recent economic trends affecting FMCG companies?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Unilever.

Interview

I received a response for a telephone interview relatively quickly. The interview itself was difficult, with difficult questions. The interviewer was very friendly though which made the interview less daunting.

Interview Questions

• 'State a time that you come up with an innovative solution to a difficult problem?'   1 Answer

Interview

Applied online and immediately invited to take online tests. Application process quite long, lots of detail required on the phone. Got invited to a phone interview. Questions about why Unilever, what differentiates them from competitors. Competency questions were tricky, lots of detail within them, for example 'Describe a time when you came up with an innovative idea to solve a problem when others' ideas were not innovative enough'.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Unilever in January 2015.

Interview

I did a lot of prep on competency questions, and had a lot to say on that. Had also done some prep on Unilever itself of course, but slightly less as I thought the whole interview would be competency-based.

In fact, the first thing she said was that the interview would be 3-part. 10 mins on competency, 10 mins on the specific position (marketing) and 10 mins on Unilever. This threw me a bit as I expected it to be mostly competency based, is it indicates on the pdf that is emailed to you when you are invited to a phone interview.

Doesn't really matter, as I now have pages and pages of typed up notes for any competency question that could ever be thrown at me! Worth going through the motions of doing anyway for future interviews, you only have to do the hard work once.

Interview Questions

• Please explain how you think Marketing speaks to other departments in a business (I'm not a business management student so had to kind of make this one up)   Answer Question

Spring Week Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Unilever in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted my application and wasn't asked to do any tests. Booked a phone interview through their webpage when asked.

The interview seemed outsourced, which was really disappointing. The lady was really uninterested and even sighed a few times (plus called me with a delay of 25 minutes). Got about 15 general competency question about teamwork, innovation, leadership and also about Unilever, its competitors etc.

She did not ask me if I have any questions, but said goodbye straight away.