Unilever

Updated 5 Dec 2014

3.1

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Unilever.

I had a telephonic interview. It was a behavioral interview with competency based questions.
    Describe a difficult situation and how you handled it ? Why Unilever ? What are you looking for in your career at this moment ? Give an example of a situation where you had to show discretion ? an other questions on various situations.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation where you had to show discretion ?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Telephone interview was by lady from HR and took about 30 mins.
    She asked all typical compentancy questions such as examples of teamwork, conflict, communication skills
    Then why I wanted to work for Unilever and how I would fit in.
    Next she wanted to know a current economical factor and to explain the impact on the industry and unilever.

Interview Questions
    • Give a current economical factor and explain the impact on the industry and unilever.   Answer Question

Graduate Future Leaders Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leatherhead, England

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Unilever in March 2013.

They are very accommodating throughout the process, paying up to £100 of your travel costs and putting up in a hotel before the assessment centre. The morning of the assessment centre, you and around 5 other candidates will be taken from the hotel to the Unilever headquarters in Leatherhead.

Here your day will begin, as you are placed in a room and given an unbelievable amount of information to analyse, after which you will have to present the key points for around 20 minutes. My best advice for this task would be: time management.....sift through the waffle introductory information as fast as possible so that you can get to the crux of the matter and time to actually think about it.

Next is the one-on-one interview.....basically the same stupid questions as the telephone interview that you are required to lie about: "please provide an example of a time when you have displayed super powers and single handedly improved relations between North and South Korea........ect"

Finally you are put into a room with all the other candidates and asked to have a group discussion based on more wads of information regarding a business merger. This task should be fairly straight forward as you should basically be active in the discussion, but not overpowering. For me this stage was a complete mystery, as the guy who eventually got the job was completely unwilling to listen to anyone else's point of view.....

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Unilever?
      - you somehow have to seem excited about selling shampoo

Answer Question

Financial Management Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Unilever in March 2013.

All the interview questions were based on the 5 core competences stated on Unilever website. Prepare a detailed situation to showcase each of these competences and you will do fine!

Have a look at the key competences here:

1. Growth Mindset
    Has a passion for winning – asks “how can we be better than the competition; how can we be the best?”

Seeks fresh opportunities – has a healthy dissatisfaction with the status quo, insisting on innovation; never settles for “good enough.

Ambitious for growth – prepared to take on challenging work outside own comfort zone.

Constantly builds capabilities for Growth.

2. Consumer and Customer Focus
    Has a passion for improving the lives of consumers – understands how own work helps to create better futures, everyday.

Brings the voice of the consumer into everything we do – sees things through their eyes, ensuring consumer insights guide all our decisions.

Externally focused – goes the extra mile in order to exceed consumer and customer expectations.

Whatever his/her work is, always looks for better ways to serve consumers and customers.

3. Bias for action
    Brings a sense of urgency to getting things done – avoids over-debating or over-analyzing issues.

Prepared to take tough decisions without delay – then galvanizes people to move forward.

Results-focused, as opposed to just process-focused – keeps the end goal in sight at all times.

Drives simplification in the company – gets rid of non-value-added complexity.

4. Accountability and Responsibility
    Makes commitments and holds self accountable for delivery – sees things through, even when the going gets tough.

Takes pride in delivering work to the highest standards – acknowledges when things are not up to scratch.

Lets people know clearly, on the front end, what he or she expects performance-wise.

Holds people accountable—doesn’t let them off the hook.

Acts with courage – not afraid to step in early or stand his/her ground, even if it’s difficult or unpopular.

5. Builds Talent and Teams
    Inspires through action – leads by example rather than words.

Challenges people to do their best work and will settle for nothing less.

Invests in people – coaches individuals/teams to realize their full potential.

Drives effective teamwork – spots the links and connects the right people to create aligned teams and better solutions.

Always searching for the best talent.

Interview Questions
    • An example of questions asked: "Tell me about the time when you had to inspire others to believe in your idea".   Answer Question

Neuroscience/Pychology R&D Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Unilever in March 2013.

Panel interview asking regular questions:
    Why the company?
    Why the role?
    What do you achieve during the internship?
    Tell me about yourself/interests

And practical questions:
    What's the most important thing about carrying out a literature review?
    Experience with psychology experiments

Human Resources Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Unilever.

online application. 30 minute telephone interview, assessment centre

Interview Questions
    • How does the Human Resources role at Unilever affect our other functions such as finance and marketing   Answer Question

Spring Week Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Unilever in February 2013.

Interview was fine. I answered the questions well and was one of the first to be interviewed. There was an echo and the guy seemed really tired. Quite uncomfortable. I got no offer and the feedback was basically a copy if the answers I gave, no actual improvements.

R&D Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Unilever.

I was applying for the R&D Summer Intern placement in the UK for Unilever.
    Format: competency queestions, motivation questions, questions about Unilever.
    Competency questions: tell me about a time when you offered a good solution, tell me about a time when you had to make a point despite the opposition of others, etc.
    Motivation question: why did you choose this role,
    Additional: do you want to take part in our future leaders programme

Interview Questions
    • Questions about Unilever: Why Unilever, who are our competitors, what makes us special, how doe sthe R&D section interact with the other sections of the company   Answer Question

Operations Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Unilever in January 2013.

I had a very similar experience as another interviewee who has already posted the feedback here. The process itself was very specific - behavioral assessment, examples of previous experience when you had to deal with a particular situation, case studies or case examples and long discussions around these, finance related questions (review your stuff before you show up). I had a total of 5 interviews spread over 4-5 weeks and received an offer. However, my impression of the company for this specific area was rather poor - disorganized, uncoordinated, unclear on who is expecting what, team members seems to have little connectivity with one another or visibility over who does what. The team leader does not seem to spend a lot of time on site and staff management was rather loose. I also had a lot of questions about the long term strategy of the group and how it intends to develop in the future, how are the business performance contracts put together, KPIs established, work assigned and managed, resources allocated, etc - at the end of these discussions, I really wondered how long this set-up will continue running as is. Overall work-life balance for the team was distressing to see and this is partially a reflection of inadequate organization/planning and perhaps questionable staffing/resourcing strategy. None of the people could join the interviews on time and some were excessively late. All in all, very surprising for an FMCG and once again, reminded me that nothing is at it seems at first glance...

Interview Questions

Following so many conversations, I felt that there was no clear operational plan for the function nor was the current mode of operandi sustainable in the long term. Also did not like the fact that the people seemed genuinely ragged and exhausted - working hard is important, but everything should be in balance (this I thought largely comes from limited organization and lack of clarify on reporting lines and accountabilities.

CAE Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Unilever in November 2012.

Interview on phone and was asked the general competency based questions involving leadership and teamworking skills. Also asked about the details of the CV and thats it really.

Interview Questions
    • What are yuor weakness and what have you done about it?   Answer Question

It was not competitive enough for my liking