Union Pacific Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014
Updated 29 Oct 2014

2.8

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

I had 2 interviews, one by phone and one on-site. Phone interview was almost purely behavioral. On-site interview started with some easy questions like "What is a garbage collector?" "Describe how you can still have memory leaks with a garbage collector." etc. It got a little harder, some data structures stuff, but it was not super hard if you studied the basics of data structures/sorting algorithms. They contacted me by email with an offer, I asked for an extension and they gave it to me.

Interview Questions
    • Sorting singly linked lists, creating min/max heaps from sorted arrays, etc. At this company I honestly think the behavioral part may have been more important.   View Answer
    I felt the offer was good and didn't really try to negotiate much, I got the signing bonus raised a little though.

Train Crew Interview

Safety checklist first, then a short company video before an information session. 1 HR manager and an Engineer -> Manager for UP attended. Make sure you know the job - the lifestyle of Train Crew - before you go. Dress professionally and ready for an interview, but also look like you're ready to work on the line. You'll be dismissed to a waiting area and then they'll call you back for your individual interviews (by last name... be prepared to wait). Safety, Safety, SAFETY. Experience really doesn't matter, safety is above all. Can you be safe? Good. Do you like being safe? Good.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about heavy equipment you've used in the past.   Answer Question

Lifestyle

Computer Programmer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Found them at my college and interviewed with them on campus the following day. They asked me some simple questions and tried to get a feel for what I am after in my position. Seemed like good people to work for and the guy interviewing me looked to be the supervisor on site as well. 3 panel sitting across from me.

Tankerman Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

first thing is to go online and apply. If you pass the scoring criteria, you will be asked to take a timed test. If you pass hopefully you will be invited to a hiring session. Show up early. Well dressed and prepare for an informative session the first 2 hours. Followed by that, you will get a time slot for a 15 ,i ute interview.

None

Software Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview and it was mostly a behavioral type interview. The duration was about 30 minutes and it was a very pleasant experience. Be prepared to tell why you want to work for Union Pacific. It helps to not have a generic answer and to show sincerity in what they do.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Union Pacific.

I signed up for an interview after talking to the recruiter at the career fair. The interview was a little more than a week later. They asked mostly behavioral questions. They are looking for a person who is flexible and who is a good team member, so think of questions relating to that. They also asked me about my level of experience in things like HTML, Java, javascript, etc. There was only one "technical" question. They'll also ask standard questions like "why do you want to work at UP?" and "what would your ideal internship experience be like?" This was the only step in the interview process.

Operations Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

I applied through my university's career center and was offered the first interview. The recruiter was a great person and did not make me feel uncomfortable or weird. I was asked a lot of behavioral questions and went by quick. No technical questions for the first interview. I was told that I might be extended a second interview if I passed a personality quiz online.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you had to make a quick and major decision.   Answer Question

Train Crewman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

There were a lot of applicants and the interview process was all day long. There are no tests and you have to solely rely on your personal interview and resume to get the job. If you are not safety minded and display that in your interview you will NOT get hired.

Its all over the internet. You receive an email within a few days and have to complete everything in your employment hub online.

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

I was reached out to by a recruiter through Linkedin, then we set up on on-campus interview following meeting again at a career fair. Within 2 weeks I was asked to apply online for the position, where I was chosen in about 48 hours for an onsite interview in Omaha at the UP Center.

Train Crew Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in September 2014.

Applied online a day or two later was sent an email telling me to log back on to the site for a test which had reading and some other easy stuff on it a few days after the test I was sent an invitation though the company site with multiple days to select from for a hiring session. The day of the hiring session has arrived start time is 730am be there like 20 mins early I seen them turn people away being 5 seconds late. First part of the day is videos about the company and job position then they tell you the unpleasant part of the job ie working holidays until you get over 15 years in no vacation time until 120 days of full work not training living out of a hotel every other day no set schedule you will be on call. a lot of people left during the break I stayed along with 20 other people interview was easy make sure you mention how safe of a worker you are when they ask why should we hire you.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you had a disagreement with a supervisor   Answer Question
    No negotiation