University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated 15 Apr 2015

2.5

Security Monitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA (US)).

Interview

Quick interview--they wanted to make sure you were responsible and quick to react to unforseen problems. Asked situational questions and realistic scenarios that you had to decide how to react. You interview with the person who will be your Unit Coordinator--mostly she wanted to see if I would fit in with her team and get along with the rest of the group, since she said there was a lot of email interaction regarding shifts and changing shifts at the last minute. She asked if my plans usually change frequently or if I was usually able to schedule my calendar a month in advance (which was required for this job since we schedule our shifts in month-long blocks).

Interview Questions

• A student is trying to sneak a friend in without showing the friend's ID. What do you do?   1 Answer

Principal Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by an HR person a week after submitting my application online. Set up a six-person panel interview on Wednesday with 4 designers, a developer, and a manager. All very nice and had prepared questions in advance. Got contacted Friday and asked to come in for another round of interviews now with three people: web director, executive director of marketing and external relations, and an editorial director. Also very nice people who seemed genuinely invested in their work. Was told by the executive director that they are looking to fill the position fast and will be contacting me by EOW with next steps and making an offer the following week. However, I have not heard from them by EOW or by mid next week, which was odd because they were very responsive and transparent in the process. Had to call HR to find out that I was out of the race. I was disappointed by the way they handled the situation. I thought they should have let me know either way because I already was pretty far in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with design trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a website that would stay visually-current in 18 months?   Answer Question

Metrics and Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

The interviewers really focuses on the role's required specific skills. They asked intelligent questions and were focused on what you can bring for the group.

The interview started on time and was roughly about an hour. 4 people interviewed me and each one asked questions in relation to what group they represented.

Interview Questions

• When asked to provide specific examples, hard to choose which scenario would best represent the question at hand.   Answer Question

Invertebrate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty chill. Just a meeting with the graduate student you will be working under. I was asked about the classes I have taken and any background I've had working with marine animals.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

It varies by department/unit, so experience can vary; usually a panel.
    Some panelist are better at conducting interviews than other; they must ask the same questions of all candidates, whether or not they appy to you or not. Some panels can be strict and will not let you deviate from what is asked of you. Scheduled time is critical and sometimes without flexibility even if the interview is going well. Follow-up process after the interview can be lingering, depends on the department. Often you apply for a position, you are never informed of application status. Again, it depends on the hiring department.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA (US)).

Interview

Applied to an online job posting. Got a call for a phone interview approx. 2 weeks later. Phone interview was with two people who worked in department. It was a 30 minute interview and they asked me several questions about my past experience and how I would handle situations that came up. If you are well prepared it should be smooth.

Interview Questions

• What is the greatest challenge facing the UC Berkeley community?   Answer Question

Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA (US)).

Interview

I sent in a resume and cover letter online. The manager immediately replied and said he would be interested in scheduling a phone interview. The interview was brief, easy and fun. I believe the manager wanted to make sure I was sociable on the phone. Afterward, a similar 1:1 live interview. I later heard back that I could come to a training on "getting in the door" and other sales techniques (paid to attend training). Once the training ended, I was brought on as a caller.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where someone wanted to give to Cal, but simply "did not have the money"?   Answer Question

Outreach Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA (US)).

Interview

Easy application process of handing in your resume online. Recruiter will call you randomly (mine was in the evening) and ask you a series of questions related to UC Berkeley, customer relations experience, and scenario questions. If you are selected to go on to the next round, you will have a group interview with about 5 other people.

Interview Questions

• Would you feel comfortable asking a very low income family for a donation to UC Berkeley?   Answer Question

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA (US)).

Interview

This was an entry level position and therefore the questions focused on my experience. My most applicable experience was my volunteer experience, so I expanded on how that would translate to the job and my love of connecting people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered a salary and I was able to easily raise it by $2K just be asking on the phone.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

Interview

I applied after seeing an ad on NatureJobs and was contacted about a week later to come in and give a presentation. The presentation and subsequent interviews lasted about 6 hours, although this process differs dramatically from lab to lab. I chatted with the PI after interviewing with everyone in the lab and she offered me a position right away. In my case, this was a very easy process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. The postdoc pay scale is based on NIH guidelines.