University of California Berkeley

2.5

66 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Metrics and Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

interviewed at University of California Berkeley in September 2014.

The interviewers really focuses on the role's required specific skills. They asked intelligent questions and were focused on what you can bring for the group.

The interview started on time and was roughly about an hour. 4 people interviewed me and each one asked questions in relation to what group they represented.

Interview Questions
    • When asked to provide specific examples, hard to choose which scenario would best represent the question at hand.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Applied to an online job posting. Got a call for a phone interview approx. 2 weeks later. Phone interview was with two people who worked in department. It was a 30 minute interview and they asked me several questions about my past experience and how I would handle situations that came up. If you are well prepared it should be smooth.

Interview Questions
    • What is the greatest challenge facing the UC Berkeley community?   Answer Question

Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

I sent in a resume and cover letter online. The manager immediately replied and said he would be interested in scheduling a phone interview. The interview was brief, easy and fun. I believe the manager wanted to make sure I was sociable on the phone. Afterward, a similar 1:1 live interview. I later heard back that I could come to a training on "getting in the door" and other sales techniques (paid to attend training). Once the training ended, I was brought on as a caller.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation where someone wanted to give to Cal, but simply "did not have the money"?   Answer Question

Outreach Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Easy application process of handing in your resume online. Recruiter will call you randomly (mine was in the evening) and ask you a series of questions related to UC Berkeley, customer relations experience, and scenario questions. If you are selected to go on to the next round, you will have a group interview with about 5 other people.

Interview Questions
    • Would you feel comfortable asking a very low income family for a donation to UC Berkeley?   Answer Question

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

This was an entry level position and therefore the questions focused on my experience. My most applicable experience was my volunteer experience, so I expanded on how that would translate to the job and my love of connecting people.

Interview Questions
    They offered a salary and I was able to easily raise it by $2K just be asking on the phone.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied after seeing an ad on NatureJobs and was contacted about a week later to come in and give a presentation. The presentation and subsequent interviews lasted about 6 hours, although this process differs dramatically from lab to lab. I chatted with the PI after interviewing with everyone in the lab and she offered me a position right away. In my case, this was a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. The postdoc pay scale is based on NIH guidelines.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in February 2014.

Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
    • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Fairly standard. Phone interview, scheduled interview with panel, one on one with hiring manager. Then references and background check.

Interview Questions
    Yes - but there was not much room for movement.

Front-End Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of California Berkeley in December 2013.

The process consisted of a traditional in-person interview at the CET's headquarters (located at the 11th floor of the Chase Bank building outside the Berkeley BART station). Since I interviewed for the Front End, I was mainly asked design questions about how I'd improve certain features of their layouts, followed by a slightly unexpected more technical question about text formatting. Before making their decision, they followed up by making me code up a static page about showcasing a company, which also wasn't that bad. Overall the process took less than 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement a "see more" functionality in Javascript if all you're given is a long string from the backend?   View Answer

MFE Applicant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at University of California Berkeley in November 2013.

After applying, they keep on contact and are very quick to respond to any queries. About 4 weeks after applying I got invited to interview. It was a skype interview with a past student who immediately sets you at ease. Started with some standard for questions like why finance as opposed to background, asked 1 or 2 things about the resume and then straight into 2 brain teasers. One was bizarre with tigers and sheep on an island, other was a probability one. Then moved onto some portfolio management questions and stats questions. Next was black scholes, more concentrating on intuition, and then time to ask questions and a casual chat. Overall pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions
    • One of the Black Scholes questions that came up was about the risk neutral pricing measure which isn't impossible but, if you aren't fresh on it, was difficult to convey verbally off the cuff and unclear how much theory to go into or intuition.   Answer Question