University of Minnesota Interview Questions

Updated 20 Jul 2015

2.5

Student Residence Hall Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morris, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Morris, MN (US)).

Interview

You must be working for the residential life already as a Community Advisor. You get offered the chance to apply during the latter half of the fall semester. You need to fill out the online application. Once filled out, you will be prompted to sign up online for an interview time during winter training for current community advisors. You are given around 45 minutes for an interview. It is possible to finish the interview in 20 minutes. Expand on your answers using past experiences working in residential life. Once the interview is complete, you will be asked if you have any questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• How would you identify a communication breakdown on your staff and how would you rectify it?   Answer Question

Usability Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty simple. The questions didn't seem difficult and were only asked to assess schedule and interest fit. As a student interested in pursuing the field of technical communications and usability, it seemed as if they were inclined to give me the job based on my appreciation for the position.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

The process took about 5 weeks. I applied online and got a call about two weeks after. Went through two in-person interviews. The first one was with three supervisors, who I would be working under if I was to get the position. The second interview was with a PI and one of the supervisors from the first interview.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

Was lucky to have a connection for the position. I submitted by application and interviewed within the next 2 weeks and was notified of my hire within the next week. Quick turn-around.

Interview Questions

• How would you use what you've learned and apply it to this position?   Answer Question

Program Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

Can take very long since this is essentially working for the state. LOTS of applicants for every job. Applicants are initially screened by Central HR to see if you meet the basic requirements. Then, applicants are sent to the departments for review. I have worked in a few departments at the U now and I noticed that positions that are in the Academic Health Center or Medical School is much more rigorous when it comes to the interviewing process then in the Liberal Arts or something else.

Interview Questions

• What was one thing you did in your old job that demonstrated innovation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Department went through HR so that they did not need to have that "difficult conversation" about salary.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

Few letters of recommendations from former mentors qualified me for this position as they were acquaintances with the PI. It took 2 weeks after initial contacts to receive an offer and paperwork from the HR.

Negotiation

No negotiation regarding the salary-benefits and insurance

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

Applied online through official website, talked to future advisor through Skype before coming. My advisor is quite easy-going and didn't have too many questions since I don't speak English as first language. I received offer within 3 months

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

telephone interview. two professors vs me. questioned about previous research experiences, research interests, how did I know about UofM, long term career goal. very relaxed atmosphere, lasted about 20~30 minutes. get offer letter the next day of the interview.

not ranked as high as this institute

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

Applied through online system. Got an phone interview in 1 month. the phone talk is within 10 mins. Mainly about my previous research experience. The interviewer is pretty nice, no tricky questions, pretty informal talk. I think that the phone interview is mainly about testing my communication skills.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Interview

I was a Masters student when I was asked to apply for an adjunct assistant professor position. I think I was in the right place at the right time because someone else had just given their notice. I was offered the position before it was posted online. It was opened, I applied and the posting was closed.

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate in my department. Everyone who is adjunct makes the same salary. Perks are in the form of lighter teaching loads or release time.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.