Urban Outfitters Interview Questions

2.2

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Handed CV into the store, was called the next day to attend a group interview.
    Interview was very straight forward and relaxed, and it the manager + store manager conducting the interview.
    The whole process took around 20 minutes.
    They asked me questions like:
    Who/what influences your sense of fashion?
    Describe a time where you received or gave excellent customer service.

Interview Questions
    • If you could spend £300 on items in store, what would they be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2014.

I left my CV in the store near Oxford Circus and received a call with an invitation to come in for a group interview. I was asked to bring something that would tell something about me and come up with 4-5 sentences why I chose this particular thing. None of us in the group was actually asked about the thing we have brought - some people have taken huge sketchbooks just for nothing.

Interview Questions
    • What would you take to a lonely island with you and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Received an email saying I had an interview at UO 2 days before the interview. Was v excited as at the time it was my favourite shop ad always loved going in. Email said to bring in an item I felt described me, and be prepared to talk about it for at least 5 minutes. Turned up to interview, was situated on the shop floor whilst customers were in and it was a group interview - i wasnt informed of that in the email so instantly felt intimidated. Felt like the other candidates kept going on about their experience with art and their "art degrees" yet had no retail experience at all - i think it was more a personality test rather than an interview for a sales job - very disappointed at the way UO select staff. Didnt hear anything back from them at all.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in one word what you could bring to Urban Outfitters if you worked here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2013.

I sent off my cv and cover letter to the email and got a call within a few days to arrange an interview. I went down and of course it was a group interview with about 9 of us and 2 managers in a room. We were asked to introduce ourselves and then fill out a form with our details and availability on. Then we were asked 4 questions
    - if you could be an animal what would you be and why
    - what is your claim to fame
    - if we gave you £100 in store what would you spend it on
    - what has been your best job
    I was expecting it too be more formal, they just told us to shout out whenever we had an answer and the questions were unexpected too. I guess they wanted to see what our personalities were like. After a few days of the interview I got a call saying I didn't get it but they will keep my cv on file if anything else comes up in the future.

Interview Questions
    • if you could be an animal what would you be and why   View Answer

Direct Distribution Campus Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East of England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East of England, England

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2011.

Very informal but infomative. Great business culture

Interview Questions

Better offer elsewhere, but it was close

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2009.

More casual than I expected--as it was quite a junior role (but still very competitive) I was expected to display depth of knowledge and understanding of the brand, past achievements and future aspirations in addition to skills and experience required at past work placements.

Interview Questions
    • What are you thoughts on our arrival in the UK? (testing brand perceptions)   Answer Question
    • Tell us about our customer   View Answer
    no negotiation--most people I went to uni with are still looking for jobs. I felt fortunate to land an interview, let alone a job! Although I tried negotiating salary but I think they could sense my desperation and didn't budge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2009.

Gave in my CV to one of the managers and after scanning my resume, they instantly told me there was a group interview the next day. The interview consisted of 2 interviewers and 5 prospective candidates for a few positions within the store.

Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online and was asked to go in for a group interview. Group interview was pretty chill. I received an email a few days later asking me to do a video interview. The video interview was a little hard and frustrating since you're being timed and only given a few minutes to answer a question.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you have given or have received great customer service   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview - they sat us down in a circle with 6 other people and asked a series of general sales associate related questions. These ranged from how important is it to know the products, how one would deal with a difficult customer over the phone, when is it acceptable to call your manager, etc. It is important to answer early as everyone answers in a circle, so it's easy for answers to be repeated. Saying something original early is the easiest way to get noticed.

Interview Questions
    • If you were helping a customer find a pair of shoes and another customer asked to you help them with another project, what would you do/ how would you prioritize the needs?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Like most people who have reviewed, I applied for the position online. It took about two weeks until I received an e-mail inviting me out for a group interview.

The group I was part of was relatively small (4 people, myself included) and we were each given a mini questionnaire to fill out with simple topic questions like "Tell us a random/interesting fact about yourself" and "What is your spirit animal?" We each took turns reading our responses to the questions to get to know each other, and then the interviewer posed more questions that anyone could jump in and answer.

Overall, the interview was very laid-back and more conversational than anything. The questions weren't anything difficult or unexpected, and the interviewer was very drawn to those who were outgoing and friendly. I definitely had my doubts about landing the position because I have zero prior work experience, let alone retail experience. However, I tried my best to put myself out there as someone who is friendly, easy to get along with, and hard-working. After the interview, we were e-mailed a simple ethics survey to fill out. Two days later I was offered the job!

Interview Questions
    • What do you think makes for a good work environment?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to overcome a difficult problem/obstacle in your life.   Answer Question