Urban Outfitters Interview Questions

2.2

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Handed CV into the store, was called the next day to attend a group interview.
    Interview was very straight forward and relaxed, and it the manager + store manager conducting the interview.
    The whole process took around 20 minutes.
    They asked me questions like:
    Who/what influences your sense of fashion?
    Describe a time where you received or gave excellent customer service.

Interview Questions
    • If you could spend £300 on items in store, what would they be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2014.

I left my CV in the store near Oxford Circus and received a call with an invitation to come in for a group interview. I was asked to bring something that would tell something about me and come up with 4-5 sentences why I chose this particular thing. None of us in the group was actually asked about the thing we have brought - some people have taken huge sketchbooks just for nothing.

Interview Questions
    • What would you take to a lonely island with you and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Received an email saying I had an interview at UO 2 days before the interview. Was v excited as at the time it was my favourite shop ad always loved going in. Email said to bring in an item I felt described me, and be prepared to talk about it for at least 5 minutes. Turned up to interview, was situated on the shop floor whilst customers were in and it was a group interview - i wasnt informed of that in the email so instantly felt intimidated. Felt like the other candidates kept going on about their experience with art and their "art degrees" yet had no retail experience at all - i think it was more a personality test rather than an interview for a sales job - very disappointed at the way UO select staff. Didnt hear anything back from them at all.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in one word what you could bring to Urban Outfitters if you worked here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2013.

I sent off my cv and cover letter to the email and got a call within a few days to arrange an interview. I went down and of course it was a group interview with about 9 of us and 2 managers in a room. We were asked to introduce ourselves and then fill out a form with our details and availability on. Then we were asked 4 questions
    - if you could be an animal what would you be and why
    - what is your claim to fame
    - if we gave you £100 in store what would you spend it on
    - what has been your best job
    I was expecting it too be more formal, they just told us to shout out whenever we had an answer and the questions were unexpected too. I guess they wanted to see what our personalities were like. After a few days of the interview I got a call saying I didn't get it but they will keep my cv on file if anything else comes up in the future.

Interview Questions
    • if you could be an animal what would you be and why   View Answer

Direct Distribution Campus Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East of England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East of England, England

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2011.

Very informal but infomative. Great business culture

Interview Questions

Better offer elsewhere, but it was close

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2009.

More casual than I expected--as it was quite a junior role (but still very competitive) I was expected to display depth of knowledge and understanding of the brand, past achievements and future aspirations in addition to skills and experience required at past work placements.

Interview Questions
    • What are you thoughts on our arrival in the UK? (testing brand perceptions)   Answer Question
    • Tell us about our customer   View Answer
    no negotiation--most people I went to uni with are still looking for jobs. I felt fortunate to land an interview, let alone a job! Although I tried negotiating salary but I think they could sense my desperation and didn't budge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2009.

Gave in my CV to one of the managers and after scanning my resume, they instantly told me there was a group interview the next day. The interview consisted of 2 interviewers and 5 prospective candidates for a few positions within the store.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Group interview - they sat us down in a circle with 6 other people and asked a series of general sales associate related questions. These ranged from how important is it to know the products, how one would deal with a difficult customer over the phone, when is it acceptable to call your manager, etc. It is important to answer early as everyone answers in a circle, so it's easy for answers to be repeated. Saying something original early is the easiest way to get noticed.

Interview Questions
    • If you were helping a customer find a pair of shoes and another customer asked to you help them with another project, what would you do/ how would you prioritize the needs?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied through an online application. (I don't think UO does paper applications at all anymore) and a week later received an email asking me to complete a video interview through Hirevue. You record your answers to the questions and it was super laid-back. They asked questions like what was the last time I received challenging feedback and they asked me to draw a picture that represents me, my style, or just anything about me. Then about a week later I received another email asking me to complete an ethics survey. It asks really obvious questions like "Do you think it's ok to get high before work" and stuff like that. Make sure you take your time doing this because I messed up and answered a question wrong and I really thought it ruined my chances. I got an email a couples days later saying that UO wasn't going to be moving forward with my application. However, about two weeks later I got another email asking me to attend a group interview a few days later. When I got to the store, everyone was really nice and there was three other people in my group. Although it's not all UO cares about, they are looking for stylish people so dress like you would if you worked there! From what I saw, there wasn't any other groups there at the time. The interview was again, really laid-back. We took turns asking questions like, "What is you dream job?" and "When is the last time you experienced great customer service?". It seemed like they were just looking for people with an out-going personality and who would work hard and enjoy it while they're doing it. I was just myself and although I have no retail experience I felt it went really good! It lasted about 30 minutes and then we were told we'd here back by the end of the week. The next day I got a call and was offered a position as a sales associate :)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected! Pretty standard questions about customer service and personality.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase. I really wanted the job and with no retail experience, I was just happy I got an offer.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Initially I had a phone interview, then came in for face to face interviews with 6 different people. One of the interviews I had to do some math questions, based off of one of the tasks I'd be doing in the role. After I passed that round, I was given a project to create, with minimal instruction, to later present to the same 6 people. I did have a lot of questions and, my soon to be boss, was very helpful in answering and helping me feel comfortable with what was being asked. The people were very nice and thankfully I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • What would you change about our email marketing and why?   Answer Question