Urban Outfitters Interview Questions

2.2

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manchester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Handed CV into the store, was called the next day to attend a group interview.
    Interview was very straight forward and relaxed, and it the manager + store manager conducting the interview.
    The whole process took around 20 minutes.
    They asked me questions like:
    Who/what influences your sense of fashion?
    Describe a time where you received or gave excellent customer service.

Interview Questions
    • If you could spend £300 on items in store, what would they be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2014.

I left my CV in the store near Oxford Circus and received a call with an invitation to come in for a group interview. I was asked to bring something that would tell something about me and come up with 4-5 sentences why I chose this particular thing. None of us in the group was actually asked about the thing we have brought - some people have taken huge sketchbooks just for nothing.

Interview Questions
    • What would you take to a lonely island with you and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Received an email saying I had an interview at UO 2 days before the interview. Was v excited as at the time it was my favourite shop ad always loved going in. Email said to bring in an item I felt described me, and be prepared to talk about it for at least 5 minutes. Turned up to interview, was situated on the shop floor whilst customers were in and it was a group interview - i wasnt informed of that in the email so instantly felt intimidated. Felt like the other candidates kept going on about their experience with art and their "art degrees" yet had no retail experience at all - i think it was more a personality test rather than an interview for a sales job - very disappointed at the way UO select staff. Didnt hear anything back from them at all.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in one word what you could bring to Urban Outfitters if you worked here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2009.

Gave in my CV to one of the managers and after scanning my resume, they instantly told me there was a group interview the next day. The interview consisted of 2 interviewers and 5 prospective candidates for a few positions within the store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leeds, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2013.

I sent off my cv and cover letter to the email and got a call within a few days to arrange an interview. I went down and of course it was a group interview with about 9 of us and 2 managers in a room. We were asked to introduce ourselves and then fill out a form with our details and availability on. Then we were asked 4 questions
    - if you could be an animal what would you be and why
    - what is your claim to fame
    - if we gave you £100 in store what would you spend it on
    - what has been your best job
    I was expecting it too be more formal, they just told us to shout out whenever we had an answer and the questions were unexpected too. I guess they wanted to see what our personalities were like. After a few days of the interview I got a call saying I didn't get it but they will keep my cv on file if anything else comes up in the future.

Interview Questions
    • if you could be an animal what would you be and why   View Answer

Direct Distribution Campus Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rushden, East of England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East of England, England

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2011.

Very informal but infomative. Great business culture

Interview Questions

Better offer elsewhere, but it was close

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2009.

More casual than I expected--as it was quite a junior role (but still very competitive) I was expected to display depth of knowledge and understanding of the brand, past achievements and future aspirations in addition to skills and experience required at past work placements.

Interview Questions
    • What are you thoughts on our arrival in the UK? (testing brand perceptions)   Answer Question
    • Tell us about our customer   View Answer
    no negotiation--most people I went to uni with are still looking for jobs. I felt fortunate to land an interview, let alone a job! Although I tried negotiating salary but I think they could sense my desperation and didn't budge.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in September 2014.

I applied online and then about a 2 days later they sent me an email to do a video interview. It was unexpected but kind of fun. Then about 4 days later I completed there survey. Then I got an email 2 day later about a group interview. The date on the interview was wrong, it said Wednesday 9/9 instead of Wednesday 9/10.If I didn't see the email I wouldn't have made it, because they sent it the day before one the 9th. The interview was okay, the manager didn't have any information about use. So mentally I'm thinking how can you hire two people when you don't have any of their information. Nor did she ask for our information afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • One the video interview they asked me to draw a picture representing myself and that threw me off because you only have a certain amount of time to prepare for the video and then shoot it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2012.

Hiring occurs now through their online database, but previously you applied either online or in store and then were called in for an interview depending on job openings. Interviews happened in stages, and usually only happened seasonally (before Black Friday or before summer). The first interview was a preliminary group interview meant to weed out people who didn't seem outgoing or didn't take initiative.

Questions were presented to the entire group and it was up to each individual to respond. People who answered promptly were often given higher consideration than those who went towards the end. Of course, each answer was also taken into consideration, but the main purpose is whether or not you are quick to respond--just as you would to a customer--or if you appear timid, which would not be conducive to a sales environment.

If you passed the first interview, you were given a code to take a personality test. If you failed this test, you wouldn't be called in for a second interview. The second interview was similar to the first and usually consisted of the same questions i.e. how would you classify your style, how would you describe the Urban brand, what is your biggest weakness, etc. This one was dependent on the number of applicants--the less applicants there were, the more likely you would be hired after the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider your biggest achievement within a work environment and why?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Online interview was odd because you don't talk to anyone but it was easy and quick. In-person, group interview was very relaxed. Questions range from favorite music to what designers you would by with unlimited money.

No negotiation phase.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!