Urban Outfitters

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Interview Details Received an email saying I had an interview at UO 2 days before the interview. Was v excited as at the time it was my favourite shop ad always loved going in. Email said to bring in an item I felt described me, and be prepared to talk about it for at least 5 minutes. Turned up to interview, was situated on the shop floor whilst customers were in and it was a group interview - i wasnt informed of that in the email so instantly felt intimidated. Felt like the other candidates kept going on about their experience with art and their "art degrees" yet had no retail experience at all - i think it was more a personality test rather than an interview for a sales job - very disappointed at the way UO select staff. Didnt hear anything back from them at all.

Interview Question – Describe in one word what you could bring to Urban Outfitters if you worked here?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
London, England

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2009.

Interview Details Gave in my CV to one of the managers and after scanning my resume, they instantly told me there was a group interview the next day. The interview consisted of 2 interviewers and 5 prospective candidates for a few positions within the store.

Interview Question – What makes you suitable for the job   Answer Question

Leeds, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2013.

Interview Details I sent off my cv and cover letter to the email and got a call within a few days to arrange an interview. I went down and of course it was a group interview with about 9 of us and 2 managers in a room. We were asked to introduce ourselves and then fill out a form with our details and availability on. Then we were asked 4 questions
- if you could be an animal what would you be and why
- what is your claim to fame
- if we gave you £100 in store what would you spend it on
- what has been your best job
I was expecting it too be more formal, they just told us to shout out whenever we had an answer and the questions were unexpected too. I guess they wanted to see what our personalities were like. After a few days of the interview I got a call saying I didn't get it but they will keep my cv on file if anything else comes up in the future.

Interview Question – if you could be an animal what would you be and why   View Answer

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Merchandise Assistant
London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2009.

Interview Details More casual than I expected--as it was quite a junior role (but still very competitive) I was expected to display depth of knowledge and understanding of the brand, past achievements and future aspirations in addition to skills and experience required at past work placements.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no negotiation--most people I went to uni with are still looking for jobs. I felt fortunate to land an interview, let alone a job! Although I tried negotiating salary but I think they could sense my desperation and didn't budge.

Cashier Interview

Studio City, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details My experience was first done on a day of a mass interview. We were set up in groups with great conversation. The communication was clear and the interviewing manager payed great attention and interacted as a friend. I like the fact the manager rated each person with a letter grade based on how well he liked us. I had an A.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in the future with the company?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and got an email the next day asking me to come in for an interview. The interview was really disappointing. It was a group interview were we were asked three questions: Why do you want to work for UO? What are you passionate about? and Describe a time when you had to deal with a bad customer. The interviewer told us to keep our answers short and simple which was, again, very disappointing.

Interview Question – All were typical interview questions but I guess "what are you passionate about?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I realized that I actually did not want to work there at all and I only applied because I need a job. Additionally, many of the employees were a bit too "weird" for me.

Columbia, SC (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details First you fill out an application online that includes a resume and answering some short answer questions. Then they call you in for a group interview and tell you to dress like you would dress coming to work at Urban. The group interview is very laid back and basically you sit around a table and go around answering various questions about where you are from, prior job experience, prior retail experience. A couple days later you get an email asking you to answer a short series of questions about drug use, shoplifting, etc. (very simple and easy) A few weeks later they call you and tell you whether or not you got the job and then you start work soon after that (if you got the job).

Interview Question – "Do you know what LP means?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No opportunity to negotiate.

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details I had one interview, it was a large group interview

Interview Question – who is your fashion icon   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in January and didn't hear anything until March. First they sent me an online "opinion" survey to complete which had many questions about morals and ethics and drugs. It was really easy and only took 10 minutes. Then I went to the group interviews. There were 5 others in my group and one interviewer. It was super relaxed and was way more like a conversation than an interview. I'm usually terrible at interviews and I get really nervous but this was completely different. They asked 4 questions: why urban outfitters? Give an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is your biggest passion? what was the last concert you went to? This phase was really to learn about your personality. You don't have to answer every question, but make sure you answer most and try to be first, but don't seem too pushy. They requested a second interview for me which will be one on one and it's tomorrow. Just be yourself, dress the part, and be friendly and you will get it.

Interview Question – why urban outfitters? Give an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is your biggest passion? What was the last concert you went to?   Answer Question

Womens Accessories Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details It was well conducted by a very competent District manager.

Interview Question – "What do you expect from me as your district manager?"   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Urban Outfitters

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters interview questions and advice. All 329 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees and interview candidates.