Urban Outfitters

2.2

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2014.

Picked up an application in store, filled it out and handed it back the following day. Got a phone call a few days later to come in for a group interview.

Was the first to arrive for the interview, approached a member of staff who radioed to let a manager know I was there and told me to go take a seat outside the fitting room. A few other applicants began to arrive and in total there was 8 of us. 2 of the managers greeted us all and we moved to the back of the store and sat in a group circle. First thing we did was introduce ourselves to the group (just saying our names) and then came the group activities.

1) Buddy up with the person sitting next to you and find out 3 facts about them and then present them to the group. Hate this particular question in group interviews but I just came up with i'm a blogger, recently moved to the city and have my own clothing company.

2) We got partnered up with someone different and were given a piece of paper to write down 10 things we would take with us on a desert island. Most answers were silly things and the essentials (i.e. lilo, toilet paper, bottle of vodka). Gave us the chance to have a chat and a laugh with each other.

3) Final activity was, again, to buddy up with someone different and to go find a piece of clothing in the store and bring it back and present it to the group - including the price, any offer it may be in, if its in season, what outfit to pair it with etc.

The managers then told us a little about what it's like to work within the company - staff benefits, expectations etc - we filled out an availability form, asked any questions we had and that was the end of the interview. I was very surprised there weren't any questions about the company at all but it's always important to do your research beforehand.

Got a voicemail message the next day to call back and discuss feedback - immediately thought "right..didn't get it". Both interviewers had gone home but the girl I spoke to told me that they were very impressed and would like to offer me the job! No start date is set yet but it'll be within the next week or so.

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Handed CV into the store, was called the next day to attend a group interview.
    Interview was very straight forward and relaxed, and it the manager + store manager conducting the interview.
    The whole process took around 20 minutes.
    They asked me questions like:
    Who/what influences your sense of fashion?
    Describe a time where you received or gave excellent customer service.

Interview Questions
    • If you could spend £300 on items in store, what would they be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2014.

I left my CV in the store near Oxford Circus and received a call with an invitation to come in for a group interview. I was asked to bring something that would tell something about me and come up with 4-5 sentences why I chose this particular thing. None of us in the group was actually asked about the thing we have brought - some people have taken huge sketchbooks just for nothing.

Interview Questions
    • What would you take to a lonely island with you and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2013.

Received an email saying I had an interview at UO 2 days before the interview. Was v excited as at the time it was my favourite shop ad always loved going in. Email said to bring in an item I felt described me, and be prepared to talk about it for at least 5 minutes. Turned up to interview, was situated on the shop floor whilst customers were in and it was a group interview - i wasnt informed of that in the email so instantly felt intimidated. Felt like the other candidates kept going on about their experience with art and their "art degrees" yet had no retail experience at all - i think it was more a personality test rather than an interview for a sales job - very disappointed at the way UO select staff. Didnt hear anything back from them at all.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in one word what you could bring to Urban Outfitters if you worked here?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2013.

I sent off my cv and cover letter to the email and got a call within a few days to arrange an interview. I went down and of course it was a group interview with about 9 of us and 2 managers in a room. We were asked to introduce ourselves and then fill out a form with our details and availability on. Then we were asked 4 questions
    - if you could be an animal what would you be and why
    - what is your claim to fame
    - if we gave you £100 in store what would you spend it on
    - what has been your best job
    I was expecting it too be more formal, they just told us to shout out whenever we had an answer and the questions were unexpected too. I guess they wanted to see what our personalities were like. After a few days of the interview I got a call saying I didn't get it but they will keep my cv on file if anything else comes up in the future.

Interview Questions
    • if you could be an animal what would you be and why   View Answer

Direct Distribution Campus Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East of England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East of England, England

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in November 2011.

Very informal but infomative. Great business culture

Interview Questions

Better offer elsewhere, but it was close

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in August 2009.

More casual than I expected--as it was quite a junior role (but still very competitive) I was expected to display depth of knowledge and understanding of the brand, past achievements and future aspirations in addition to skills and experience required at past work placements.

Interview Questions
    • What are you thoughts on our arrival in the UK? (testing brand perceptions)   Answer Question
    • Tell us about our customer   View Answer
    no negotiation--most people I went to uni with are still looking for jobs. I felt fortunate to land an interview, let alone a job! Although I tried negotiating salary but I think they could sense my desperation and didn't budge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2009.

Gave in my CV to one of the managers and after scanning my resume, they instantly told me there was a group interview the next day. The interview consisted of 2 interviewers and 5 prospective candidates for a few positions within the store.

Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

I applied online and got a job interview via my email in 3 days. I think the process was so fast because it's seasonal right now. It was a group interview, there were 3 other people and me. Everyone in the group was very intimidating but I was feeling very confident of myself and how I was answering the questions. Sadly I didn't get the job though.. Probably because I didn't have no experience unlike the others in the group.

Interview Questions
    • A time you gave good customer service?
      A fashion you like that you see on the street right now?
        Answer Question

Senior Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Applied online, in about two weeks got a call for an interview, this was a group and it clearly made the outgoing stick out. They ask mainly about who you are and situation questions. Very easy and fun!