Urban Outfitters

Getting the Interview

249 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Leeds, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2013.

Interview Details I sent off my cv and cover letter to the email and got a call within a few days to arrange an interview. I went down and of course it was a group interview with about 9 of us and 2 managers in a room. We were asked to introduce ourselves and then fill out a form with our details and availability on. Then we were asked 4 questions
- if you could be an animal what would you be and why
- what is your claim to fame
- if we gave you £100 in store what would you spend it on
- what has been your best job
I was expecting it too be more formal, they just told us to shout out whenever we had an answer and the questions were unexpected too. I guess they wanted to see what our personalities were like. After a few days of the interview I got a call saying I didn't get it but they will keep my cv on file if anything else comes up in the future.

Interview Question – if you could be an animal what would you be and why   View Answer

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and got an email the next day asking me to come in for an interview. The interview was really disappointing. It was a group interview were we were asked three questions: Why do you want to work for UO? What are you passionate about? and Describe a time when you had to deal with a bad customer. The interviewer told us to keep our answers short and simple which was, again, very disappointing.

Interview Question – All were typical interview questions but I guess "what are you passionate about?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I realized that I actually did not want to work there at all and I only applied because I need a job. Additionally, many of the employees were a bit too "weird" for me.

Columbia, SC (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details First you fill out an application online that includes a resume and answering some short answer questions. Then they call you in for a group interview and tell you to dress like you would dress coming to work at Urban. The group interview is very laid back and basically you sit around a table and go around answering various questions about where you are from, prior job experience, prior retail experience. A couple days later you get an email asking you to answer a short series of questions about drug use, shoplifting, etc. (very simple and easy) A few weeks later they call you and tell you whether or not you got the job and then you start work soon after that (if you got the job).

Interview Question – "Do you know what LP means?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No opportunity to negotiate.

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details I had one interview, it was a large group interview

Interview Question – who is your fashion icon   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in January and didn't hear anything until March. First they sent me an online "opinion" survey to complete which had many questions about morals and ethics and drugs. It was really easy and only took 10 minutes. Then I went to the group interviews. There were 5 others in my group and one interviewer. It was super relaxed and was way more like a conversation than an interview. I'm usually terrible at interviews and I get really nervous but this was completely different. They asked 4 questions: why urban outfitters? Give an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is your biggest passion? what was the last concert you went to? This phase was really to learn about your personality. You don't have to answer every question, but make sure you answer most and try to be first, but don't seem too pushy. They requested a second interview for me which will be one on one and it's tomorrow. Just be yourself, dress the part, and be friendly and you will get it.

Interview Question – why urban outfitters? Give an example of a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is your biggest passion? What was the last concert you went to?   Answer Question

Pasadena, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2014.

Interview Details Took a week to hear back from Urban Outfitters for an interview. First interview was a group one. Super chill and actually spent most of the interview laughing. Answers were pretty easy to answer. Make sure you sound and are confident when you answer. I was emailed and asked to come back for a second interview which surprised me because most interviews here said they were offered a job after the first interview. Came in for a second interview and it was one-on-one which is my WEAKNESS. Questions were more into detail. Easy but I felt inexperienced and felt they were looking for fashion majors or people who were serious about a career in the fashion industry. I didn't get offered a position, but I really felt this was a good experience and would reapply again (since I'll be knowing what kinds of questions they will be asking).

Interview Question – What do you plan on taking from your experience working at Urban Outfitters?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details I applied online. They emailed me 2 weeks later scheduling an interview and to also take a survey. I went to a group interview. Then 1 week later I got a second email scheduling a second interview. This time it was one on one with the store manager. A few days later I got a call saying I got the job.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult questions. It was basically a personality test.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in March 2013.

Interview Details Applied online. Process took about 2 weeks. Straight forward group interview. About 6-7 people. Asked about knowledge of UO, personal style & behavioral questions. 20 minute interview.

Interview Question – None. Everything asked was pretty much straight forward you just have to think on your toes.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in October 2012.

Interview Details You are invited to a group interview, in which they will take turns questioning the group in general. The vibe of the interview is very relaxed and comfortable. Each person is given an ample amount of time to respond, and all of the questions being asked are for the most part atypical of the average retail interview. The added people around you help to take the pressure off the review and can play an important role in allowing you to shine.

Interview Question – - What would you do if the EAS goes off?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, was contacted through the phone

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in January 2010.

Interview Details I applied for the job in January of 2010 via an online application. It took them a while for the store to call - to be honest I had forgotten that I'd applied. Anyway, arranging the interview was very straightforward - I got a call from the SM, he told me the date of the interview and I just had to confirm. I only did one interview - group - though I've heard that there are two interviews now? Anyway, the interview was pretty straightforward and laid back. A lot of questions from the application "why do you want to work here" "who are your style icons" "what can you bring to the team" etc. Got a call about a week later that they wanted to hire me.

Interview Question – As stated, most of the questions are pretty easy though the guy I interviewed with asked "When were you last late for work, why, and what did you do." I told him that I'd overslept, noticed the time, threw on the nearest article of clothing and ran to the train, calling my boss in the process. Basically they don't want you to say "I had a thing and just didn't call" etc you know don't be a dummy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No opportunity to negotiate

Interviews for Top Jobs at Urban Outfitters

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Urban Outfitters Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 249 interview reviews posted anonymously by Urban Outfitters employees and interview candidates.