Urban Outfitters

Average Difficulty
299 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Leeds, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in February 2013.

Interview Details I sent off my cv and cover letter to the email and got a call within a few days to arrange an interview. I went down and of course it was a group interview with about 9 of us and 2 managers in a room. We were asked to introduce ourselves and then fill out a form with our details and availability on. Then we were asked 4 questions
- if you could be an animal what would you be and why
- what is your claim to fame
- if we gave you £100 in store what would you spend it on
- what has been your best job
I was expecting it too be more formal, they just told us to shout out whenever we had an answer and the questions were unexpected too. I guess they wanted to see what our personalities were like. After a few days of the interview I got a call saying I didn't get it but they will keep my cv on file if anything else comes up in the future.

Interview Question – if you could be an animal what would you be and why   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and received an email inviting me to a group interview. It was relaxed and they ask typical job interview questions, and personal style questions. I received a call back interview and came back for a one on one interview with basically the same questions. It was pretty laid back and they didn't seem too concerned with experience.

Interview Question – Asked how you would deal with a customer who you caught stealing.   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in April 2013.

Interview Details The interview was a group interview. I wasn't called for it, it was a general email just stating the details of the interview. The questions were general, mostly related to the position

Interview Question – If you see someone stealing how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

King of Prussia, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online to four store locations. Three of the four stores never got back to me even after weeks of attempted phone calls I've made inquiring if the position was taken, they repeatedly told me it was still open, but it is taking them a while to get through applications. I never heard back from any of the three stores. The fourth store, and the second one I applied to, responded to my application within two weeks and scheduled an interview for a week from when they called me. I attended the interview and then another two weeks passed by until they contacted me again for a second interview. After the second interview I didn't get a response for nearly three weeks. I received an E-mail with instructions to setting up my W-2's and other miscellaneous information, aka I was hired.
The only annoying thing about this company is how slow they are with hiring people. I applied at the beginning of June and didn't officially start until the beginning of august.

Questions at the interview:

A lot of the questions were behavioral

1)describe a time when you thought you provided outstanding customer service, how did you go the extra mile?

2)describe a time where you had to work together with other people?

3)describe a time where you had to work in a group and you did not get along with other member of the group? How did you handle the situation?

4)What or whom is your fashion inspiration?

5)Why Urban Outfitters?

6)Where do you see yourself in five years?

7)How would you handle an angry customer?

Interview Question – I was given one minute to sketch something on a piece of paper that described who I was   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I didn't even find out what my hourly wage was until my second day of work.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details I applied online, received a email to take a video interview and a week later I received a phone call for a groups interview. The manager did not ask any questions, mostly engaging with us. Try to ask as many questions as possible to the managers so you can make an impression. Everyone filled out a background check form right after the interview. A week after the interview I received a job offer.

Interview Questions

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online back in June for a Sales Associate position at 86th street and about a few hours later I got an email asking me to fill out this questionnaire which was apart of the interview process.

A day later I got another email asking me to attend an group interview the following day. The group interview was conducted by the Visuals Manager and the Men's Floor Manager.
I attended and the interview was pretty simple. It was about 9 of us interviewing and we all got an opportunity to speak (the best thing is try to be the 2nd or third person to speak and make sense of what your saying). It was pretty laid back, but we all wanted the job so we rambled on a lot.

We were told we would receive an email later in the day if they were moving on with the second part. I received an email asking to come in for another interview with the General Manager and I did. This was a 1 on 1 interview and much better than the group. He asked simple questions like "Why Urban", "Do you know about Loss Prevention", "Interesting facts about myself" etc etc.

He had me list my references since Urban calls your references to make sure everything checks out. I gave him 2 references and left. The following day I called the store to give them other references since the ones I listed before had their numbers changed prior. The Manager I spoke with took down my new references and told me I should hear back in a day or so.

It's now July and I haven't heard anything back so its safe to say I didn't get the job, but it was a total waste of time. Why give me a second interview just to not hire me? Ridiculous.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details Group interview was really cool. Questions like, "if you were a borough, what borough would you be and why?" "what is good customer service vs. great customer service," "name an item in this store that you really want to buy," (they're just trying to ensure you are an actual customer of the store with that question) and other general retail stuff.

Interview Question – If a thief came and stole something from the store so quickly, you had no time to react, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They tried to give me $9.50 an hour but I told them that Banana Republic gave me $10.25 an hour so they compromised and are paying me $10 an hour.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Urban Outfitters.

Interview Details Applied online, and about two days later received an e-mail asking to do an interview through an app called HireVue, which is where I messed up. It was honestly such a weird way of doing things, I wasn't used to it, and I just didn't feel comfortable using it. I would've rather did an in-person interview, but oh well. I interviewed through it, and did the best I could.

Interview Question – Name a time where you received constructive criticism, and how you took it.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Urban Outfitters

Interview Details I was reached by email to come in on a certain date for a group interview, and for the second interview was emailed then called. Well, the manager claimed she emailed us, but I didn't get anything. I ended up being called to come in literally a day before the interview. The process overall was laid back but it felt more like they were looking to fit an image rather than find good people.

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online. A few days later, I received an email about doing a video interview on hirevue which was pretty cool because you were just recording your answers so it wasn't like you had to talk to anybody. Two weeks after that I received an email about completing a online survey (the answers were clearly common sense, not hard at all) and then a week or so later I got an e-mail about having an interview. My interview was one on one. The women's manager emailed me about the interview, but she wasn't there so the store manager was supposed to do it, but he got stuck on a conference call so one of the assistant managers did it, and it was like I was having a regular conversation with a friend about our likes and dislikes. The interview was good there weren't any crazy questions I got asked and the questions were pretty much the same as the other people have said: loss prevention, what are your hobbies, what trends are you into, etc. After the interview she told me that she would do a reference check and I would hear back from her soon. I got really excited because she told me I seemed like a good fit (make sure you smile a lot ad engage the interviewer, they love that!) and even though I didn't have any previous retail experience that was okay because they would teach me whatever I needed to know. After six days of me waiting for them to call and refreshing my e-mail every five seconds like a crazy person, I was called with a job offer!

Interview Question – there wasn't any crazy questions, nothing caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, the pay was waay better than any other minimum wage job I had and I really wanted to work there anyway.

Worked for Urban Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!