VMware

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware.

I was contacted via the recruiter and given a list of items to prepare for. on attending the interview i was made to feel very welcome and could see the great company culture shining even after just a few minutes. I was interviewed by the current intern and after getting past the 1st interview by the division manager. My overall experience was extremely good, never have i had such a relaxed and interesting interview.

VMware Response

Sep 25, 2014Director of University Relations

It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience. We are proud of our culture and I am thrilled to know that came across during your time with us. Thanks for sharing your feedback and ... More

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2012.

I applied for the above role through their website and been screened (with in a week) through the HR team on telephone (around 45 mins), with in few days they setup another telephonic interview with the technical manager. I did really well and explained my skills (presales and technical) and the projects I have worked. The telephonic interview took over 1hr15 mins, which included the technical and standard general questions like why you want to work for VMware, what would be your next career step. With in 2 days I had an email saying that I have not been selected as I'm more on the "delivery side". which is really a joke as I never worked on delivery side and emailed about all the Opportunities I have worked and questioned this. within a day I had response saying that you have some good pre sales experience, however for this particular vacancy we require someone with more experience (standard response)....

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, as answered most of the question with in my domain   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Telephone interview - with the recruitment team in Ireland
    face to face interview with practice manager and technical senior consultant
    Ask questions about - skill sets, product knowledge, life experiences, availability.
    The offlice location was relaxed and free vending machines were available.
    The VMware head office was located in Frimley within the business estate.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

Initial phone interview. I knew this was just a phone screen. Since they bothered to call me, i guess they felt I was worth talking to. However, this phone screen was apparently very valuable to them instead of meeting in person or at least looking optimistically at an applicant's potential for learning on the job. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH LEARNING A FEW THINGS ON THE JOB?

Interview Questions
    • Disgusting phone interview. I didn't get further than that. Job was somewhat low-level and my resume and email clearly stated what I knew. Instead, the interviewer (and would-be manager) headed me off with questions well beyond that. I didn't mind, given that I can learn, but he apparently didn't think so - literally chuckling at me over the phone towards the end of the interview. He apparently couldn't understand that a guy can learn. Instead he treated the work as some unattainable black art, evidently NOT even wishing to see me in person. What, they don't have training materials at VMware? So judgemental and sickening. I was looking forward to working there too, but my hopes were completely dashed by this crummy behavior - of laughing at a job applicant. I wonder how many potentially good employees this company destroyed. A despicable job interview, probably meant to hire someone overseas or something.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at VMware.

it was just a basic questions ..to test basic skills...keep solving basic programming questions and some of the operating system concepts ..which are commonly asked ..since it is based on virtualization ...be focused on virtualization...there were two technical rounds

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

It was a hiring event scheduled for a new team to be set up in Bangalore. Here's the process:
    1) Pass a programming test online.
    2) 4 round of pure technical interviews. Mainly on linked list, trees, binary trees, maps, scripting, testing related.
    3) 1 HR round
    4) Results.

Interview Questions
    Offered a very good package. Didn't negotiate.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at VMware.

Had several rounds of phone interviews with cross teams and in teams. Invited on-site but it was not a great experience. Not sure if I was in the midst of their urgent projects deliverables but the interviewer' minds were on other pressing things. Process took around 3 weeks end to end.

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware in February 2015.

Very straight forward. Dropped the Cv based on job ad seen on a job search website. Had a phone call couple of days after. Phone call is the screening step, very formal and professional. After maybe 30 minutes, we agreed we were heading toward the same direction. Been offered a face-to-face interview on site.
    Second interview was simple straight forward, met a GSS team manager, one team member for the technical assessment, all together 1 hour...
    24 hours after Phone call for final decision...

Interview Questions
    • example of situation where one has to deal with an unhappy user?
      General standard questions... nothing tricky or sneaky.
      Real assessment of the potential, technically, team-player like, friendly, professional,
      I believe that's what they are checking as VMware is very customer satisfaction driven

Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at VMware in February 2015.

Round 1
    Find last 10 lines in a file in most optimized way.

Find prime numbers till 1000 numbers
    And in most optimized way.

Gold bar puzzle to make 7 pieces and need to give it to worker in 7 days with minimum cut.

Wrong labels puzzles.
    A B A+B worngly labeled .find correct label in one way.

TCs for landline phone.

Round 2
    Circular linked list.

Find a loop in linked list and can go to any other element outside loop.

Making triangles from equilateral triangle exposed side and how many triangles will be made for n iterations.

Round 3
    Implement queue using stacks.

Tell Process block elements

Interview Questions
    • Find a loop in linked list and can go to any other element outside loop.   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

From the beginning working with the recruiters to the people I interviewed with my experience was stellar. Vmware handles the process with the upmost of professionalism!
    Paul also was helpful with advice and was very communicative throughout the process. Interviewing while you have a job can be very stressful but this was not the case with Vmware.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate much because the offer was very fair and the opportunity was great.