VMware Interview Questions

3.2

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2012.

I applied for the above role through their website and been screened (with in a week) through the HR team on telephone (around 45 mins), with in few days they setup another telephonic interview with the technical manager. I did really well and explained my skills (presales and technical) and the projects I have worked. The telephonic interview took over 1hr15 mins, which included the technical and standard general questions like why you want to work for VMware, what would be your next career step. With in 2 days I had an email saying that I have not been selected as I'm more on the "delivery side". which is really a joke as I never worked on delivery side and emailed about all the Opportunities I have worked and questioned this. within a day I had response saying that you have some good pre sales experience, however for this particular vacancy we require someone with more experience (standard response)....

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, as answered most of the question with in my domain   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Telephone interview - with the recruitment team in Ireland
    face to face interview with practice manager and technical senior consultant
    Ask questions about - skill sets, product knowledge, life experiences, availability.
    The offlice location was relaxed and free vending machines were available.
    The VMware head office was located in Frimley within the business estate.

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in August 2010.

Hiring process was lengthy for me & I was hired after about 2 months with 3 rounds of interview. Interview was simple & to the point, however there were a lot of applicants which made it look tougher.

Interview Questions
    They did not negotiate on their base pay

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

30 min phone screen and a 4.5 hour full loop interview; mostly technical coding questions and some SOAR stories; The first 3 rounds were full coding and with hiring manager it was mostly explaining projects and design questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Very bad experience with VMware. I took the phone interview on Aug. They gave me an onsite on Sep. 18th. 10 days before the onsite, they send me an email and told me they have to remove me from the onsite since they realize I am a new graduate student. I have to cancle my ticked and reschedule all my other interview

Storage QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Got a call from VMware Bangalore.
    Interview got scheduled, asked to keep laptop with internet along.

In my case:
    Interviewer is not much interested in my previous role.
    He directly jumped to interviewing.
    He is much interested in the logical and analytic questions.
    Interviewer may ask to write one or two programs online (collabedit or something).

Interview Questions
    • • About yourself
      • Previous company’s profile role and other things.
      • SCSI ISCSI NAS SAN FCP real time questions around these.
      • flogi plogi
      • Why fcp?
          Can we use scsi cables in data centers? (cost is not a matter)
          Why add another layer fcp, why not scsi itself?
      • Virtual memory, paging,
          I have a 10GB file on HDD and RAM is 4g
          I want to change first and last bit of that 10GB file.
          Explain how this works?

• WAS ASKED TO WRITE 2 PERL programs
      - Read input from stdin and replace all vowels with upper case except 'u' and print to stdout.
      - I have an array of n elements.
          Find out if array has a sub array whose sum is 0.
          [1,2,2,-3], yes [1 2 –3]
        Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2010.

Two Phone interviews followed by detailed technical interview in person. The interview was typical of top technical companies. Unlike google or facebook who dwell only on CS fundamentals, here they also go in depth on domain knowledge. Some focused primarily on coding questions. Many interviews were focused on what I have done and if I could provide details of my current work and broader picture of technologies used.

Interview Questions
    • Details about exactly how storage systems worked at protocol level
      Many coding questions and solve problems on paper/board
        View Answer
    Back in those days I could negotiate some RSUs

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

I found this job on all the boards (Monster, Brass Ring, etc). They said they had "hundreds" of resumes submitted. I phone interviewed first with a member of the team (who would become my peer). Then I met him in person. Then I had a call with his peer. Then I had a call with the hiring manager. Then I had a call with that manager's manager. I also had a call with the salesperson aligned with the role. Then I had a face to face meeting with the VP of the group, the whole team, and another salesperson.

It was between me and one other candidate, and I took the initiative to meet with the most senior member of the team and a few others. I was told that it pushed me over the edge and got me the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Senior VP asked me detailed questions about where I thought the market for certain products was headed. I had lots to say, and I felt that I nailed it.   Answer Question
    I tried but got nothing more than the original offer. Recruiter said "so should I tell the hiring manager that you aren't exactly over the moon about the offer?". I was convinced to take it when I carefully considered the total offer, including stock, benefits, etc.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at VMware.

I sent my resume in via a friend who worked for the company and was telephoned the next day. They wanted to set up a phone interview. I was called when we had set up our time and it was clear the interviewer was at home. As I could hear dogs barking. However I think that is part of the atmosphere at VMWare. Stay at home to work and laid back.

She asked me if I was interested in the company and what my main goal was. General interview questions nothing hard. She then told me about the rest of the interview process which involved hypothetically selling coffee to a group of VMware employees and then a more on the spot sales presentation with some VMware managers.

She said she would call me to schedule those interviews. I never received a follow up phone call.

Interview Questions
    • What are your goals regarding your career and how you will contribute to this company or any?   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

A vmware recruiter contacted me for a phone interview after I applied online. The recruiter rattled off 10-20 stock questions on her sheet. Very cold demeanor, told me I only had 1-2min to answer each question and cut me off as I was talking. Not surprisingly, my answers didn't fit into whatever stock answers she had and I never heard from anyone at vmware again.

Interview Questions
    • None too difficult, just cliche type program management questions.   Answer Question

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!