VMware Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr 2015

3.2

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frimley, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at VMware (Frimley, England) in November 2014.

Interview

Relaxed, Open, two-way process. Fast process end to end. The best interaction I ever had in my last 11 years of IT career. Just perfect. From screening to technical phone test everything was structured. They all spoke the same language and open to questions.

Interview Questions

• About my passion for the company.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to move - You have a perfect job already!   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

I was contacted via the recruiter and given a list of items to prepare for. on attending the interview i was made to feel very welcome and could see the great company culture shining even after just a few minutes. I was interviewed by the current intern and after getting past the 1st interview by the division manager. My overall experience was extremely good, never have i had such a relaxed and interesting interview.

Interview Questions

VMware Response

Sep 25, 2014Director of University Relations

It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience. We are proud of our culture and I am thrilled to know that came across during your time with us. Thanks for sharing your feedback and ... More

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at VMware (London, England) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied for the above role through their website and been screened (with in a week) through the HR team on telephone (around 45 mins), with in few days they setup another telephonic interview with the technical manager. I did really well and explained my skills (presales and technical) and the projects I have worked. The telephonic interview took over 1hr15 mins, which included the technical and standard general questions like why you want to work for VMware, what would be your next career step. With in 2 days I had an email saying that I have not been selected as I'm more on the "delivery side". which is really a joke as I never worked on delivery side and emailed about all the Opportunities I have worked and questioned this. within a day I had response saying that you have some good pre sales experience, however for this particular vacancy we require someone with more experience (standard response)....

Interview Questions

• Nothing, as answered most of the question with in my domain   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware (London, England) in May 2010.

Interview

Telephone interview - with the recruitment team in Ireland
    face to face interview with practice manager and technical senior consultant
    Ask questions about - skill sets, product knowledge, life experiences, availability.
    The offlice location was relaxed and free vending machines were available.
    The VMware head office was located in Frimley within the business estate.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

It took around 2 weeks to proceed the interview. I am asked to do some online coding test first and later a HR send me an email to schedule a on campus interview.
    2 Software Engineers rotating interview. Pretty intensive and require fast coding skills.

Interview Questions

• Convert string to integer without using atoi and some algorithm problems   Answer Question

Client Success Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO (US)).

Interview

Initial phone screen from the recruiter, then a phone interview with the position manager. After that, one in-person interview--45 minute 2 on 1 with some team members, another 45 minutes with the position manager.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you? Tell me a time you had a problem with a co-worker/manager and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a fair offer--I accepted.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

The interview process at VMWare is arduous but thorough. For me, it was a total of 9 individual interviews...some in person at the office and others over the phone with key stakeholders. They asked me many questions about my experience off of my resume, but also some situational questions pertinent to the job I was applying for at the time. I talked with everyone from Individual contributors to managers to Directors and VP's before the approval was given to hire.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to build your brand and overcome objections at the same time. How did you do it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Global Technical Alliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware (Raleigh, NC (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial interview by the recruiter. Then was told I was a good fit for the position. Recruiter said he would forward my name and resume to the hiring manager. It has been a week and have not been contacted by the hiring manager.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)).

Interview

Recruiter called up sounding very enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions too like what is time complexity of binary search algorithm, what is mutex, what is polymorphism etc. Then he setup a phone interview with an engineer.

The engineer spent nearly 30 mins discussing about my resume and a locking problem in multithreading environment. Then he asked me to write code using collabedit. I was not able to complete coding because the interviewer could not clarify in what form he expected the output to be returned from the function. I discussed my algorithm and different approaches that could be used.

Why ask an interview question about which you yourself are not clear about the type of output you want. Anyways, never heard back from the recruiter about the feedback on the phone screen. Although I knew they would say "no" since I did not complete the coding, don't they have the courtesy to write a one liner email saying we will not be proceeding at this time.

And to the interviewer, make sure at least you know what you really want out of the question. Be ready to give concrete answers for any clarifications to the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given: Binary tree and a target Sum
      Expected Result: All paths where sum of nodes along path is equal to target sum
      Assumption: Path starts at Root and ends at Leaf

Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

I had four interviews consisting of three technical and one behavioral. Great experience and relativity fast for such a large company. In one week I had my first three interviews with the fourth the following week. Interviewers were (and are) very intelligent and can see past any BS, so you must know your stuff and be willing and able to adapt the company's culture and values as your own.