VMware

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

3.2

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware.

I was contacted via the recruiter and given a list of items to prepare for. on attending the interview i was made to feel very welcome and could see the great company culture shining even after just a few minutes. I was interviewed by the current intern and after getting past the 1st interview by the division manager. My overall experience was extremely good, never have i had such a relaxed and interesting interview.

VMware Response

Sep 25, 2014Director of University Relations

It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience. We are proud of our culture and I am thrilled to know that came across during your time with us. Thanks for sharing your feedback and ... More

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2012.

I applied for the above role through their website and been screened (with in a week) through the HR team on telephone (around 45 mins), with in few days they setup another telephonic interview with the technical manager. I did really well and explained my skills (presales and technical) and the projects I have worked. The telephonic interview took over 1hr15 mins, which included the technical and standard general questions like why you want to work for VMware, what would be your next career step. With in 2 days I had an email saying that I have not been selected as I'm more on the "delivery side". which is really a joke as I never worked on delivery side and emailed about all the Opportunities I have worked and questioned this. within a day I had response saying that you have some good pre sales experience, however for this particular vacancy we require someone with more experience (standard response)....

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, as answered most of the question with in my domain   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Telephone interview - with the recruitment team in Ireland
    face to face interview with practice manager and technical senior consultant
    Ask questions about - skill sets, product knowledge, life experiences, availability.
    The offlice location was relaxed and free vending machines were available.
    The VMware head office was located in Frimley within the business estate.

Software Engineer Interview

ask some question about system debug and profiling, just do some coding for stack and a tree browser logic. Not very hard, take easy and get the position. the interviewer is quite nice and do not take a long time. This company choose people carefully.

Technical Administrator Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

very good experience and they give you a very warm vibe.Be yourself and don't fake anything because they evaluate you on the basis of your answers and they'll counter check your answers.

PhD Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in December 2014.

I met the recruiter and one of the staffs during the tech talk at my school. He is mainly resposible for recruting PhD student in VMware. We first figure out possible groups that are suitable for my research and then start the interview process.

My interviewer was another staff from VMware. We first went through my resume and I explained my research to him. He seemed not that interested to me but we continued with 2 technical questions: what is context switch, explain hash table implementation. I think I answered most of them. The coding part was translate a sorted list in to a balanced BTree, which is easier than I expected. This interview ended with a simple Q&A.

Interview Questions
    • What if we have no idea the key space of a hash table. How to modify the implementation to avoid collision.   View Answer

Have other plan

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Interview was tough. Highly technical. They gave lot of time to think. It was more then 5 rounds but not bit cool. They don't pressurize on a question, Simply change it if you are stuck.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware.

The recruiter asked me some basic Windows questions after I passed that phase I had an onsite interview. Each Escalation Engineer there were 4-5 people had asked multiple questions based on a scenario to see your troubleshooting methodology. If they asked about a network printer what would you do to get it to work it would start pretty basic and they kept going until your ideas had run out. It differs between each department what questions are asked. There were no right or wrong answers. Windows troubleshooting skills are what they are looking for. If you pass that phase you will meet with the managers. They will discuss & recommend for an yes or no to an offer.

Interview Questions
    • They expanded each question asked which increasingly was more difficult. They wanted to see if you painted yourself into a corner or if you could expand outside of the box.   Answer Question
    They made an offer and I accepted.

Sales Interview

very long and tedious. I had 5 phone interviews and then 4 in person interviews. they sat me down in a small conference room and I had 4 back to back interview all asking the same questions, which took up to an hour.

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in November 2014.

- The shorlisting was done based on the details provided in the Linked in .
    - The first round was a written test where you had to clear the programming test. The program was from Hacker earth.
    - If you clear the programming round then you were called for a face to face technical round of interview,
    - 1st round :
      - Manual testing concepts.
      - Automation testing concepts.
      - Puzzles / Brain teaser .
      - Simple program on the Java.

- 2nd round :
      - Implement Queue.
      - Concepts of Linked List.
      - Programming on strnigs.

- 3rd Round :
      - Linked List
      - Automation testing and details of the project
      - Program about linkedlist. ( Find middle element in one pass) . Find the duplicate element in the list.

- 4th Round :
     - 5 programming questions.
     - Puzzles.

As it was a drive , there was no HR round and we were told we would be given our feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Even though you answer all the questions , there is no guarantee that you get the offer. So wait till you hear from HR. HR does not revert till you ask them for the result.   Answer Question
    • - The interviewer was not well prepared to take the interview. Though the answer to the questions were right the interviewer was pestering me for other solutions and he was satisfied only when it matched his expectation. This was not a good experience.   Answer Question