VMware

Updated 29 Jan 2015
Updated 29 Jan 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware.

I was contacted via the recruiter and given a list of items to prepare for. on attending the interview i was made to feel very welcome and could see the great company culture shining even after just a few minutes. I was interviewed by the current intern and after getting past the 1st interview by the division manager. My overall experience was extremely good, never have i had such a relaxed and interesting interview.

VMware Response

Sep 25, 2014Director of University Relations

It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience. We are proud of our culture and I am thrilled to know that came across during your time with us. Thanks for sharing your feedback and ... More

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2012.

I applied for the above role through their website and been screened (with in a week) through the HR team on telephone (around 45 mins), with in few days they setup another telephonic interview with the technical manager. I did really well and explained my skills (presales and technical) and the projects I have worked. The telephonic interview took over 1hr15 mins, which included the technical and standard general questions like why you want to work for VMware, what would be your next career step. With in 2 days I had an email saying that I have not been selected as I'm more on the "delivery side". which is really a joke as I never worked on delivery side and emailed about all the Opportunities I have worked and questioned this. within a day I had response saying that you have some good pre sales experience, however for this particular vacancy we require someone with more experience (standard response)....

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, as answered most of the question with in my domain   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Telephone interview - with the recruitment team in Ireland
    face to face interview with practice manager and technical senior consultant
    Ask questions about - skill sets, product knowledge, life experiences, availability.
    The offlice location was relaxed and free vending machines were available.
    The VMware head office was located in Frimley within the business estate.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

It was a hiring event scheduled for a new team to be set up in Bangalore. Here's the process:
    1) Pass a programming test online.
    2) 4 round of pure technical interviews. Mainly on linked list, trees, binary trees, maps, scripting, testing related.
    3) 1 HR round
    4) Results.

Interview Questions
    Offered a very good package. Didn't negotiate.

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

From the beginning working with the recruiters to the people I interviewed with my experience was stellar. Vmware handles the process with the upmost of professionalism!
    Paul also was helpful with advice and was very communicative throughout the process. Interviewing while you have a job can be very stressful but this was not the case with Vmware.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate much because the offer was very fair and the opportunity was great.

Engineering Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

I was contacted by a recruiter to see if I had any interest in exploring opportunities with VMware. I'd be contacted previously over the course of a couple years but since I was happy in my existing role I declined. Things changed and I decided to take up the recruiter on her offer to talk.

The first call with the recruiter was the standard set of questions to see where my interests lay and what my past experience entailed. She mentioned that she was sure the hiring manager would be interested in talking with me and within a couple weeks I had a call setup with him.

The call with the hiring manager was approximately an hour, though he was 15 minutes late in calling, so it ran a bit over our scheduled time but since it was the end of my day it didn't conflict with any other appointments I had. He explored my background, talked to me about the role, and asked some basic technical questions related to the role. Things went well and he mentioned that he wanted me to come in for an in-person interview and that someone would reach out to me to set up a time to meet.

For the in-person interview I met with 8 different VMware employees, a smattering of senior engineers (some who would report to me) and managers who would be my peers. The managers generally asked manager-type questions :-) (eg what is your management style, how do you deal with performance issues, etc), the senior engineers explored my technical chops. I've been through some grinding technical interviews where the engineers try to show off their battle wounds or "get your goat," this was definitely not one. I believe the idea was to make sure the foundations were there, not to verify whether or not I knew the specifics of every existing RFC put out by the IETF. Frankly, having been on the interview circuit for a few weeks, it was a fantastic breath of fresh air and was what really sold me on wanting to work with the team. It definitely countered my expectations going into the interview.

The next bit of the process was a bit prolonged. After being told that I was "the guy" they had me speak with some more folks from other offices across the globe. The feedback came back quick from the recruiter and it was all positive. VMware was going through a "soft" hiring freeze and it took a while (more than a month) for my requisition to be formally approved. Once it did, I accepted the first offer since it was in-line with my expectations.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't run into any particularly difficult or unexpected questions. Everything asked was related to the role. There weren't any bizarre brain teaser questions, etc.   Answer Question
    They asked me what I was looking for before their initial offer. I told them, and they gave it to me. Simple!

Immigration Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

The interviewing/ hiring process was very concise. It was super easy on my end. I went through a 45 minute phone screen then that was followed up with an in person interview that lasted about three hours.

Interview Questions
    • How often do you speak to lawyers regarding employment?

I was taken off guard with this question. This isn't usually a standard question for recruiters.

View Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

I actually interviewed more than once for two separate TAM roles. The first round went through a series of 6 phone interviews. From what I understand I was final round but didn't get it. That started off with a technical interview which was a lot of questions surrounding the product stack. Be aware of new products and versions of vCloud, vSphere, vCAC, vCops, etc...

Not sure if that many interviews is typical. The second time I applied was when they called me back after 5 months for another opening. This interview process took around a month and was a few more interviews technical, and scenario type questions. I'd suggest preparing notes with product info, as well as focusing on use case examples of your resume history.

Interview Questions
    • The scenario questions are more of "what would you do in this situation". A lot of high level overview scenarios along the lines of how you deal with business stakeholders, interact with account teams, handle difficult conversations like customer pain points. Again, discuss use cases where you've implemented their products and what business problems you solved with them.   Answer Question
    Very happy with the offer, didn't negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

ask some question about system debug and profiling, just do some coding for stack and a tree browser logic. Not very hard, take easy and get the position. the interviewer is quite nice and do not take a long time. This company choose people carefully.

Technical Administrator Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

very good experience and they give you a very warm vibe.Be yourself and don't fake anything because they evaluate you on the basis of your answers and they'll counter check your answers.