Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 27 Mar 2015
Updated 27 Mar 2015

Processing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied online and after about a week they reached out the me. I scheduled an interview for a few days later. Afterwards they invited me to come out to the Philadelphia campus.
    Schedule:
    1. Group presentation
    2. 1:1 interview
    3. 1:1 Case study
    4. 1:1 Mock Phone call( done by the same person who did the case study

The process was fair.

None, offer was solid

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard.

Overall very friendly, asked questions to get to know me and then went onto "life experience questions". "Tell me about a time...." Asked a couple of minor technical questions, if you can't answer them off the top of your head, this probably is not the company for you or you walked into the wrong interview.

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

The interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one onsite interview. From the time I first learned of the role, to the point of an offer, lasted about five months.

When traveling to the on-site interview, the location was hard to reach. It's about 40 minutes pass downtown Philly. It's relatively easy to reach by car, although I heard there is a train station (Amtrak) nearby. The campus is amazing and huge (like you need a map to get around huge). Security was weird. I had to talk thru an intercom for about 10 minutes before they could confirm my appointment and let me in the building.

My interview started 15 minutes late. I met with two people and both were very nice. They had a list of questions they wanted to ask, but eventually we had a very natural conversation about the work. The interviewers toggled between the canned question and their own follow questions, but didn't necessarily keep to their script.

The interviewers took lots of notes and the in-person interview lasted about one hour. Following this, I thought I would hear something right away. It took a little while before I did hear back, but as soon as they confirmed they wanted me, things moved along very quickly.

As for compensation, they met my salary expectation and no negotiations were needed. The onboarding process is quite thorough. There is lots of paperwork. Also, there is the traditional background check, also fingerprinting and a drug test.

I plan to post a 90-day and 120-day post as a follow up to this. Still organizing my thoughts about the actual work experience.

Interview Questions
    • The questions seems less about technical expertise and more about soft skills (ability to partner, dealing with difficult personalities, communication style, time management)   Answer Question
    Not needed

Customer Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

Recruiter set up a phone interview. STAR based scenario questions based off previous work experience. They seem to be looking for someone who has a lot of knowledge in finance but doesn't actually have to have a finance background. You should definitely read an article on finance to talk about that with her. Also, study basic financial terms. ETF, Bond, Stock, Mutual Fund, Index Fund. Also, read up on Vanguard and it's background and what they are really passionate about. SUPER important. Definitely have personality or they won't be interested in you.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you had to think outside the box?
      Talk to me about a time you had to build rapport/relationship with a customer?

Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through campus career site. Heard back in just a few days. Received a phone interview, the phone interview lasted 30 minutes and focused on resume and behavioral questions. Understand the STAR method.

Interview Questions
    • Walk through resume. Behavioral questions answer in STAR format...ex: can you provide an example of a time when you had to build a relationship with a costumer   Answer Question

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2015.

Applied through their website and was contacted by a recruiter about a week later. Pretty standard phone interview that's expected to last at least 30 minutes. Be sure to know basic financial terminology such as Mutual and Index Funds, Stocks, Bonds and ETF's. I thought I did pretty well during the interview and the recruiter told me he felt comfortable passing me on to the next stage of the interview process which include them flying me out to Scottsdale. He told me it would be 1-5 days before I heard anything, but I still haven't received a call and it's been about a week. I even sent him a courtesy email thanking him for the phone interview and he didn't even reply back, so there's my confirmation that I won't be moving forward. Also if someone is selected for this position you MUST obtain your licensing by FINRA to permanently stay on with Vanguard. The first 30 days will be training and studying then you'll have two attempts to pass the exam. If you don't pass, you don't have a job so anyone moving from out of state, you should be fully
    aware of this.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2015.

I found the job posting online and submitted my resume and was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview. That interview lasted about an hour. It was, overall, organized and pleasant. The HR person with whom I spoke was VERY nice and was upfront about salary expectations as well as benefits. It was definitely an interview, not an informal conversation (with questions that were HR-based and some that clearly came from the hiring team).

I was offered another job as I was in the process of interviewing for Vanguard. I called my HR contact and she was wonderful. She contacted the hiring team and found out that, while I was a strong candidate, there were stronger candidates. I withdrew from the process and felt good about accepting the job I was offered at another firm. While I did not get an offer, I can say that I was treated more than fairly during the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • All STAR (behavioral) questions. To prepare, go through questions (you can find them on websites) and have answers ready. My question was: What was a challenge you overcame?   Answer Question

Vanguard Accelerated Development Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.

After applying I was notified within a week that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. It was a brief phone interview- STAR format. Then I was invited in person for a day long interview at headquarters in PA. Two individual interviews with employees, lunch with management. Overall good experience

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter on a Friday to set up a time for a phone interview. We had agreed to set up the interview for the Tuesday afternoon. The recruiter was extremely nice and easy to talk to. We had spoke on the phone for about an hour going over basic behavioral questions and why I wanted to work about Vanguard. Once she was finished with her questions for me she had asked if I had any for her. I had asked about the opportunities at Vanguard and how they would help me advance and move throughout my career. She had launched into a lengthy but highly informative speech about all of the opportunities, departments and resources that Vanguard had to offer to its employees, or crew members as they call them. I wasn't sold on the company before that, I was after that speech. She had then invited me into the office at Malvern for an in-person interview that Friday afternoon.

The interview process at the Malvern office was a four hour long process. The first hour was bringing myself and three other candidates into a room and giving us a presentation about how the company was set up, how they conduct business, all of the different departments there are and so on. The next two hours were the actual interview. The interviews took place in the Galley, or the cafeteria, which I felt was a nice touch and helped us relax so that the interview could flow more like a conversation and less like an interview. The first part of the interview was asking basic behavioral type of questions as well as questions pertaining to current events in the finance world. I would suggest doing a little reading on the Wall Street Journal or Bloomberg so that you are not blindsided by this. Once that was over they gave you a 5-10 minute break to use the restroom or regroup and then there was a case study. The first part of the case study was giving you a summary of a customer with a problem and discussion questions on the back that you are going to go over with the interviewer after reading over the information for about 10 minutes. This part is meant to get a better understanding on how you would deal with a customer who was having basic customer service problems. Be empathetic!! They are all about serving the customer first and foremost!! The second part they gave you financial information where you are supposed to advise the customer on how they are supposed to handle their accounts. Just have a basic knowledge of finance information and make sure when you are advising the customer (interviewer) that you are showing that they come first. After those interviews were over they brought us back into the room we were first in an gave us another presentation on benefits packages and basically all of the perks of working at Vanguard, which are A LOT!!

I must have done really well on the interview because by Monday morning they had called me and offered me the job. I said I needed a day to review the offer letter materials but I already knew that I was going to accept because Vanguard is an extremely great company to work for and I am looking forward to starting.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you typically find news pertaining to the finance industry?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an article that you read recently that pertains to finance that you found interesting and how would that affect business for Vanguard?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.

It was pretty standard for a finance interview. I started with a phone screening, then went into Scottsdale for a face to face. I met with two individual interviewers. Process was actually enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you were asked to show leadership.   Answer Question