Vanguard Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
Updated Aug 25, 2014
346 interviews

Customer Relations Specialist Interview

Submitted an application online through referral. About a week later, got contacted through email in order to schedule a phone interview. Interview was simple and lasted for about 20 to 30 minutes. Quite a few financial questions were asked like what is the difference between a stock and a bond, the difference between an ETF and a mutual fund, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had to think outside of the box.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

I submitted my application online, was contacted about three weeks later. Had a 15 minute phone interview in which I was scheduled to come in for an in person interview. The interview was not high pressure, more of an experiences based conversation with the STAR method behavioral questions thrown in there. Have your answers ready as well as questions I be asked at the end of the interview. Look professional, but don't be too nervous, you want to appear confident and capable in high stress situations. I was contacted after 3 days to accept the position.

I did not negotiate.

Client Relationship Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in October 2010.

Apply online within few days HR phone calls to set up future phone interview. HR phone interview few days later, HR will invite you in for an in person interview within a week or so, they will let you know if you got the job.

none

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Several hour long interview. Require you to cite experiences in which you went the extra mile and thought outside the box if you want to get hired. Customer service experience is a big plus.

Interview Questions
    • A case study regarding an angry high net worth customer. Requires you to think critically and not just say what you think they want to hear (because it's probably not what they actually wanted to hear anyway).   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate for an entry level position at a world class mutual fund institution. Just getting in and getting my Series 7 passed was enough for me to take the job. The experience for your resume is invaluable, and although the salary+bonuses are modest (40-50k), the benefits are awesome. Incredible retirement plan, Medical-Dental-Optical for $62 a month. They pay 88% of insurance costs.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Be ready for two real interviews once you get to Scottsdale. One is behavioral questions and the other is a scenario role play. The behavioral is relatively easy to study for but the scenario is different cause you can't study for it. Review the role play well, be very helpful and personable, and be confident. When in the intro and concluding meetings as a group be sure to make your presence known by asking a lot of intelligent questions while not sounding too annoying.

Interview Questions
    • How did you deal with an unhappy client or customer in the past?   View Answer

Resolution Services Associate Interview

Online application, phone interview with HR contact, 4 or so behavioral questions - looking for the STAR format answers. In person interview with hiring managers. Met with 2 managers at the same time, as they followed a very precise list of questions from a 6 page form and wrote down everything I said. End of interview was case study - 20 min for me to read and prepare. Case study required answering multiple questions on how I would handle the situation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in your recent work experience when you overcame an obstacle and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Application to final interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter immediately after completing application. We set up a time for a 30 min phone interview. Phone interview is basic: questions about background, current job duties, Vanguard knowledge, etc. I was offered an in-person interview over the phone after our discussion.

In-person interview consisted of 4 one hour segments. First hour: discussed Vanguard's history and openly asked candidates what they knew about the company. Second hour: behavioral interview discussing background and experience. Expect about 8-10 STAR interview questions and was asked to describe the difference between a mutual fund and a ETF. Additionally, I was asked about current events in the financial industry. Third hour: case study with 4 follow up questions and then a follow up role play. They are looking to see how you handle problems and your steps to resolve issue. My case study involved a angry customer who needed a new closed fund set up before the end of the day. He had worked with another associate a couple weeks prior and they had overlooked a missing signature required and had not informed the customer. You must remedy the situation. Role play was a play-off from the case-study: same customer, trying to set up IRA for daughter including prior year tax contributions however daughter did not sign required paperwork. Last hour: group lecture about benefits and your of campus

Interview Questions
    • Typical STAR questions and know the difference between a mutual fund, index fund, ETF, etc.   Answer Question

Fund Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

They are driving to drive 5 skills out of you - Time Management, Teamwork, Initiative, Communication and (I forget). You must be able to demonstrate these skills through STAR based questions. the interviews are 2-1 but the interviewers are friendly and down to earth. They are workers in the department, not interviewing professionals.

Interview Questions
    • STAR based format. They will ask you question trying to get the skills above out of you. They will want specifics. I was asked "When working on a project, name a time a group member was troublesome and how did you handle it?" < This question was asked so that the employees could determine whether you had good "Teamwork" skills.   View Answer

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Vanguard uses the STAR system for interviews. STAR is: Situation/Task: Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event. Action: Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. Don't tell what you might do, tell what you did. Results: What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn? Be sure to have results be reflective and robust. A lot of interviewers say that people get to S-T-A and then just a short result. Make result have an impact.

Interview Questions
    • Every difficult questions must be spun in a positive way.   Answer Question
    Was there one?

Brokerage Associate Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Vanguard.

Initially a telephone interview. Next, you were called in to meet with a manger and supervisor. If everything went well you got the job. The onboarding was interesting. You were inundated with the Vanguard mantra through team building exercises. You were pretty much free to leave early if you finished the book assignments they gave you.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were in the star format. Not too complicated.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate anything. Either you work for us or not. We do not care. We have over 2000 applicants a day.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!