Vanguard

Average Difficulty
340 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details Application to final interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter immediately after completing application. We set up a time for a 30 min phone interview. Phone interview is basic: questions about background, current job duties, Vanguard knowledge, etc. I was offered an in-person interview over the phone after our discussion.

In-person interview consisted of 4 one hour segments. First hour: discussed Vanguard's history and openly asked candidates what they knew about the company. Second hour: behavioral interview discussing background and experience. Expect about 8-10 STAR interview questions and was asked to describe the difference between a mutual fund and a ETF. Additionally, I was asked about current events in the financial industry. Third hour: case study with 4 follow up questions and then a follow up role play. They are looking to see how you handle problems and your steps to resolve issue. My case study involved a angry customer who needed a new closed fund set up before the end of the day. He had worked with another associate a couple weeks prior and they had overlooked a missing signature required and had not informed the customer. You must remedy the situation. Role play was a play-off from the case-study: same customer, trying to set up IRA for daughter including prior year tax contributions however daughter did not sign required paperwork. Last hour: group lecture about benefits and your of campus

Interview Question – Typical STAR questions and know the difference between a mutual fund, index fund, ETF, etc.   Answer Question

Fund Financial Associate Interview

Fund Financial Associate
Malvern, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details They are driving to drive 5 skills out of you - Time Management, Teamwork, Initiative, Communication and (I forget). You must be able to demonstrate these skills through STAR based questions. the interviews are 2-1 but the interviewers are friendly and down to earth. They are workers in the department, not interviewing professionals.

Interview Question – STAR based format. They will ask you question trying to get the skills above out of you. They will want specifics. I was asked "When working on a project, name a time a group member was troublesome and how did you handle it?" < This question was asked so that the employees could determine whether you had good "Teamwork" skills.   View Answer

Client Service Specialist Interview

Client Service Specialist
Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details Vanguard uses the STAR system for interviews. STAR is: Situation/Task: Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event. Action: Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. Don't tell what you might do, tell what you did. Results: What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn? Be sure to have results be reflective and robust. A lot of interviewers say that people get to S-T-A and then just a short result. Make result have an impact.

Interview Question – Every difficult questions must be spun in a positive way.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was there one?

Brokerage Associate Interview

Brokerage Associate

I applied through another source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details Initially a telephone interview. Next, you were called in to meet with a manger and supervisor. If everything went well you got the job. The onboarding was interesting. You were inundated with the Vanguard mantra through team building exercises. You were pretty much free to leave early if you finished the book assignments they gave you.

Interview Question – Questions were in the star format. Not too complicated.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything. Either you work for us or not. We do not care. We have over 2000 applicants a day.

Investment Analyst Interview

Investment Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2014.

Interview Details Behavioral based interview. They want STAR answers. Interviews are highly structured by HR and managers may stick to the script. You must interview well to have a chance. It was a multi interview process and I was alerted within 1 week if I advanced to the next interview. No interview exceeded 1 hour.

Interview Question – Name a time you encountered conflict with a coworker and how did you resolve it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied through another source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2010.

Interview Details They contacted me by email from some internet job site. First a phone interview then a panel interview with STAR questions. The interviewers were a team leader and a principal, the team leaders boss.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you disagreed with your boss? Explain how you answer a question you do not know the answer to? Where do you get you business news from?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, fixed offer

Malvern, PA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

Interview Details Referred through a contact who set me up with the interview. Behavioral questions on the phone, took about 30 minutes or so. Use the STAR method when answering the questions, as this is what they're looking for.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed necessarily. How did you handle it and make sure that the task was still carried out in the best manner possible.   Answer Question

Project Administrator Interview

Project Administrator

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details This process happened awhile ago, so not relevant to types of interviews being used in today's job market. I was very well qualified for this position. I contacted an internal recruiter via LinkedIn. Sent my resume. Had a hour prequalifying interview. The interviews with the hiring managers occurred the next week..

Interview Question – One of the hiring managers remarked that I looked very young for the amount of experience I had.   Answer Question

Financial Processing Associate Interview

Financial Processing Associate

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details I received an e-mail regarding the position. I responded and a day later I received a phone interview. It lasted about 30 mins. We talked about my past job experiences and she asked me questions in the STAR format. Afterwards, we setup a face-to-face meeting at the headquarters. The interview process was basically the same in the phone interview. There were a lot of STAR formatted questions. So be prepared for that aspect of the interview.

Interview Question – What are your goals in life?   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details They will schedule a phone interview first. They will ask you "what is a bond,eft, mutual fund?" "What are vanguard values?" "What makes vanguard different?" "How do you build rapport with clients" "what's going on in the financial news today?" "How do you keep up with the financial news/ what kind of financial literacy do you read?". If you do good, then they will call you in for an in person interview. There is 2 parts and it will last 4 hours. 1 part is the behavioral questions part. BEWARE. Vanguard likes the STAR FORMAT. Make sure you plan out what you are going to say. Next part is the mock phone call. They will give you a scenario can leave out of the room for 15 minutes. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHOW EMPATHY. They want to know that you can be diplomatic to an upset client or even a happy client. Normally it takes about 1 wk until they let you know if they want to hire you or not.

Interview Question – How do you build rapport with a client.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. It pays $40,000 for the client relationship specialist position.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!