Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 28 Oct 2014
Updated 28 Oct 2014

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through university. Was scheduled a one on one interview on campus which was behavioral based. Asked specifically what an ETF, Bond, Stock, and Mutual Fund are.

Was called back within a week to schedule an onsite interview. The second interview consisted of a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy, they just want to know that the customer is your first priority. The role play was a mock phone call with a customer who did not know what to do with her investments, and you had to guide her in a direction based on her concerns.

Interview Questions
    • what type of investment should a person make based on risk   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Had an initial phone interview with an HR representative. Discussed my skills and interests as well as job tasks. I was expecting a more technical and less sales oriented role.

Vangaurd Associate Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

I applied online and was contacted about a week later asking to set up an interview time. Set up an interview a couple days later with someone from HR. The interview lasted a little over an hour and was mainly behavioral and background questions. Not the hardest questions but they graded the answers harshly.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume
      Where do you see yourself in five years
      What are your 3 biggest weaknesses
      Tell me about a time that you failed
        Answer Question

Accelerated Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vanguard.

Campus recruitment, next day preliminary interview. Notified one week later of selection for final interview. Specifics of the program were vague, even when I asked in the interview. Vanguard is big on the STAR format, behavioral analysis, and leadership potential. I was told my extracurriculars were what impressed them most.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to motivate someone to do something they did not want to do.   View Answer

Brokerage Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

STAR based questions after initial computer based testing, and phone interview. There were two people, one supervisor and one manager. They asked questions and took notes, and it was very dry and clinical, not warm at all.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were helping a client, and didn't have the answer - how would you handle that?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Very thorough process study all glassdoor questions and for roleplay make sure you show EMPATHY, they will give you a scenario where the client is pregnant or has a loss in the family and they expect you to address it

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to build a relationship with a client?   Answer Question

IT Interview

First Round was phone interview. Then second round was a 2 1:1 interviews. Ending off with a group excercise. The interview was mostly based on behavioral question.

My advice would be to research STAR based questions.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Great relationship built with recruiter and enjoyable process. Group interview over 4 hours which includes one-on-one interview, case study, and quick role play. Detailed overview on company and benefits too. Questions typical, but really looking for firm examples.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example when you had to re prioritize your tasks and how did you figure out/rate tasks in order of importance?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

First round phone interview: Basic knowledge of financial industry is necessary, asks about ETF vs. Mutual fund, index funds, and stocks vs. bonds. Asks typical STAR behavioral questions during second half of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you chosen to seek jobs in the financial industry   Answer Question

VADP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Applied online. Within 2 weeks got a phone call from recruiter to schedule phone interview. STAR based interview questions and went over resume on the phone. 2 weeks later got called to be flown out to scottsdale. All day process where they give presentations and have you talk to employees. lots of talk about company culture and how they are looking for the right "type" of person that fits their mold. 2 interviews 1 hour each all STAR based questions. They are really looking for someone that fits company culture- they don't really care about work experience or knowledge so long as you did something and got above 3.5 GPA. Pay is low, and they try to say they have benefits like a gym, doctors office, food court etc. but you have to pay for all of it if you want to use it.

Interview Questions
    • all typical... tell me a situation where you disagreed with a boss. how did you handle it? need to give all STAR based responses because they write everything down.   Answer Question