Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated 20 Jan 2015
Updated 20 Jan 2015

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

I got an on campus interview through one of our career fairs. The first round interview was about 45 minutes long and contained a few behavioral questions. Like, "Give me a time when you had to get others to follow you, and how did they react?" I did well enough they had me fly out to Scottsdale, AZ for the second round. Obviously this one was a bit more intense. The first interviewer went over some questions about your resume as well as more behavior questions. The second interviewer went through a case with you, regarding a problem with a current client. It's definitely a bit different having to grasp all the information within a time requirement, and making a key decision for the customer. But definitely relates to the job requirement.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you saw an act of cheating/rule breaking occur and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Vanguard.

STAR based half and role play the other. Designed to last 2 hours total but can vary. My department is focused on sales so was a scenario where I was an employee at a retailer and I had to sell the interviewer a laptop.

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interviewed by numerous people, some IT, some HR, some management. Canned interview questions. Team compared notes and made a decision up or down on hiring. Offer was for a specific position. No negotiation.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

The Interview Process Consisted of a phone call, which was simply to see if you'd be a good fit and worth bringing into the office for an interview.
    The in-person interview was with a group of 9 people. First portion consisted with a overview of the company, and benefits review. We split up with different managers and had a 1 hour Case Study and Role Play. Then a STAR based 1 hour interview with a different manager. We came back together and took a tour of the campus and were able to have any last minute questions answered. Total process took 4 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to make a decision without all the information available, and what was the outcome of that decision?   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

First round phone interview- mostly behavioral questions. Second round on site interview- meet with three-four Vanguard employees. One role play scenario which was pretty easy and used to evaluate how you approach and handle the case. Response was very quick- heard back in about a week after second interview.

Interview Questions
    • why did you choose to study business over other majors? how did you arrive at your decision to attend the school you are currently at?   Answer Question

College to Corporate IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

First I applied online and was sent an email to have a phone interview that week. Then after passing the phone interview I was invited to an all-day event at the headquarters. At the event there were two interviews conducted back to back in person.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Two part interview. First part is a 30 minute phone interview and the second is a four hour on-site interview. The phone interview focuses on qualifications and resume. The onsite interview is split into four hour long parts. Two presentations about the company, an hour long behavioral based interview and a case study/role play.

Interview Questions
    • Very important to show empathy during role play. For the behavioral based interview make sure to answer using the STAR method. One question that threw me off was "Explain a recent event in the news pertaining to finance and how it would affect business at Vanguard"   Answer Question

good benefits but low salary and compensation

Employment Coordinator Interview

The ability to achieve an interview for this position is extremely difficult and competitive and the selection process at times seems somewhat ambiguous. It takes a ton preparation in addition going through the overview process is essential but still not a guarantee to receiving an interview. It has become more difficult year to year.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you had to deal with a difficult peer, and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

They had my resume in the system and HR contacted me and asked me to interview for a "client Relationship Specialist" position. They asked me to contact them within a few days and set up a time for a phone screen. The phone screen asked pretty basic questions. After the phone interview, they told me they would be in contact with me within the next few weeks to see what steps to take next if they wanted to consider me further. I am still waiting for a response.

Investment Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview, on site interview (case S.T.A.R. method). Overall very basic and simple, no surprises here. On site interview consisted of behavioral and case. Got a call back within a few weeks with a non negotiable offer that I had to take because I was unemployed at the time.

Non existant