Virgin Atlantic Airways Interview Questions

Updated 16 Apr 2015

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Virgin Atlantic Airways.

Interview

I first got an automated email requesting to chose a date for the interview with no info on what the interview would focus on. I prepared lots of sample examples and a 90 day plan for the role. At the start of the interview I was told that there would be two rounds and the first round would just focus on what i knew about virgin atlantic and any questions i had for them. I had spent a lot of time researching about the virgin group , I even read the book 'The Virgin Way' its values and understanding the strategic decisions that was taken to make the company it is today. I had prepared a long list of questions.

The three that disappointed me about the interview process was
    1. It did not start on time and felt completely rushed specially when it came with a surprise that this was just the first round.
    2. The questions asked had little to do with the actual role or competency or behaviour required for the role.
    3. I was asked to exit from the second entrance so the next candidate could be brought through from the main (felt a bit weird to be honest, things like this tells you something, I realised this only after getting into a wrong taxi at the second exit and being dropped at the airport instead of the train station. My taxi guy was at the other end of the reception and poor guy waited for me for 30 minuets )

Two days later - I received an automated email which stated the below

"After careful consideration, I am sorry to advise you that on this occasion you have been unsuccessful. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are sorry that we are unable to offer you feedback on your interview."

My reaction was:
    1. For a group which takes pride in putting people first and all the fantastic and wonderful things they do in the service industry, an automated email with no feedback just made me feel - Thats Wrong! I can understand if a automated message is sent on a CV submission but not for a face to face interview. I assume they did not interview more than 10 people for just one role or did they
    2. If I could offer one piece of advise to make their recruitment better it would be - pick up the phone and give the applicant some feedback. Not much to ask specially considering the train fare it costs these days just to get to London for a interview. or better, just drop an email with some feedback if its expensive to make a local phone call and be a human being.

Interview Questions

• I felt the questions that was asked was a complete let down !! It not worth mentioning here...   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

One stage process, interview and test. People involved include hiring manager, sometimes another team member, and HR representative who are present. Process is approx 2hours. 1 hour for interview and 1 hour for test. Dress formally.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for salary negotiation. Salary range not clear from advert, as it varied from 10k difference between lower end and higher end of salary, so the top end range of salary is not an option.
    Not real flexible hours, esp as teams are quite small.
    Travel expenses for interview are also not covered.

CSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Heathrow, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Virgin Atlantic Airways (Heathrow, England).

Interview

On-line questionnaire, followed by a telephone interview, followed by a formal interview carried out by 4 management personnel. Interveiw was with other candidates and there was role playing, a written test along with a maths test. It ended with a personal interview with two managers.

Interview Questions

• What have you done in the past to get out of a tricky situation   Answer Question

Cabin Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Virgin Atlantic Airways (Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England) in January 2011.

Interview

First stage is an application form, second is an assessment day. The assessment day is a half day. You will be taken in with a group of people and measured (so its no use lying about your height). Ou are then taken I to a room and told about the company and are asked to fill out forms. The questions on the forms include things like do you have any visible tattoos? You are then split into 2 or more groups and taken i to a room. You are then given a group task and are asked to do a presentation. You will then be asked to read from a card, as if making an announcement. You are then taken into a room for an individual interview. You will then wait between1day and a week for a reply.

Interview Questions

• I had to answer questions on myself and customer service.   1 Answer

EMEA Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gatwick, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Virgin Atlantic Airways (Gatwick, England) in January 2010.

Interview

Couple of phone interviews, then asked to prepare a ppt presentation on how I would hunt new sales leads if I landed the job. I used the VAA template which made a good impression. Was asked to come to their base next to Gatwick airport, but at my own expense (flew from Madrid). Offices are gorgeous and stylish, staff is typically british and nice.

Interview Questions

• The usuals... What would you change in your past, what is your best achievement and how did you get it...   Answer Question

Salary was too low, esp. for the cost of living in London, as most of their offers (but some very senior positions) are from the job offers I receive via email.

GS Team Member Zone I Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Virgin Atlantic Airways (New York, NY (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Interview process took place at a hotel in Queens, New York. Interviewees are then placed in a room and seated at tables forming your group. Process includes ice-breakers (you are seated at a table with a certain amount of people, this depends on how many overall are being interviewed for the day). The interviewers (5 or more) talk about themselves and their experiences at the company etc.. Each group is then given some typical ice breaker questions and you work as a group and do a mini presentation (usual questions relate to YOU and an experience). The groups all present their presentations while the interviewers observe. Then once all groups have presented their findings, you learn about salary, opportunities etc etc related to company and what you expect or want followed by questions. Then ice breaker is over and lead out into waiting area and to be called for individual interviews. You are interviewed and evaluated and observed during this process. Entire interview process from start to finish(ice-breaker - individual screening) may take 4 hours, this all depends on the number of people being interviewed for the day and how long each interview takes. Personally my process took about 2 hours because the groups were small and I was fortunate to be one of the first names called for individual interview.

Application process also included on online application (since some time has passed I think the app. online was 30 mins. to 1 hr or so) that was long as well. Applied for position mid Sept. and by beginning of October got response about position and interview outcome.

Entire process took about 3 weeks which included an online application,phone interview, group interview and individual interview and wait time for results on entire process. Wait time for results from group/individual interview was about 1 week. Not familiar with this style of interview process (group interview) but it was still good to experience.

Interview Questions

• How does previous work relate to the position? Why this company? What do you bring to the table? Were there any policies from your previous employment that you didn't like? How did you improve your environment in your previous job? What sets you apart from the others?   Answer Question

Facilities Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Virgin Atlantic Airways (Norwalk, CT (US)) in August 2010.

Interview

Online Application, Email follow up, Phone Call, Interview and a week later Final Decision.
    Interview was very simple. Basic questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a good fit for this position, and what can you bring to Virgin?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Interna Audit Intern Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Virgin Atlantic Airways in July 2010.

Interview

It was a very informal and easy-goining interview, where they asked me about my past work experience in internal audit, and a few competency based questions.

Sales/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Virgin Atlantic Airways (Norwalk, CT (US)) in July 2007.

Interview

I had a pre-screening interview with HR to verify that it was worth conducting a full interview. The full interview was done in two phases - first they ran through the job function in a casual call. Then we got back on the phone a few days later and did a formal interview where I was asked to frame myself in the context of the job.

A lot of things were promised from their end that I would be wary of when considering an offer. Flex time, work life balance promise, etc are all put on the table, but inside, you'll find that none of these things happen. When you travel internationally, for example, even if you lose part of your weekend for work travel, you are expected back in the office at 9am the day after you arrive back, even if you landed at midnight.

Interview Questions

• From looking at your resume, you don't seem to have any of the experience we are looking for. Why should we bother continuing the interview process with you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer made was lower than what I expected and they refused to negotiate even a dollar of the offer. They refused to pay relocation fees as my job wasn't considered sufficiently senior. I know others have had some negotation success, so I would recommend staying firm. The HR team here works to bring employees in at a rock bottom salary, rather than bringing them in at a compromised level where the employee remains satisfied by compensation. Once inside, there is almost no room for salary improvement.