Whole Foods Market Interview Questions

2.6

Regional Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Applying thru the new "WFM-Employment 2013-Job-Search" process was only informational as I had to apply internally to get the interview, otherwise the response from that chain was fruitless. 1. Phone initial screening by a regional ATL, 2. 5 panel SKYPE interview, 3.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a (blank), discribe what you would be like.   View Answer
    Non-existent, just accepted the status.

Deli Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2010.

Simple interview, just asked questions about my past experience, and went over my CV

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I submitted an online application and was contacted for a phone prescreen. I talked to both the finance recruiter and the department manager. I was called the next week for an interview in whih I met with around 7 people from various areas of finance or accounting. I also had a face to face with the recruiter. A few days later, I was contacted for a second panel interview with around 10 people and sent a homework assignment to present to the panel in which they wanted me to reach out to team members to help complete and I would present the homework would be asked questions by the panel. I decided not to move forward at that point. I thought it was absolutely too much for a lower level accounting position and the pay and benefits was not enough to keep me interested in the position.

Baker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Had two interviews and was told that I'd be recommended for hire. I was supposed to interview with the assistant manager but someone else interviewed me instead. I was not told about the chane in interview until I arrived for it.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

The recruiter over the phone gave me the wrong time for my interview, so I never got a chance to sit down and actually get interviewed. When I called the Whole Foods that was interested in me, they said that I would be later scheduled for another group interview. I had to call the company 3 times to get a hold of them. I never got my second group interview, but I'll still shop at whole foods.

Customer Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Asked behavioral questions that referenced former jobs; asked questions regarding to customer service and how I had implemented it into certain jobs listed on my resume; asked about my knowledge of the store and products

Beer Buyer/Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

I found the opening on Indeed and followed a link to their application portal. It requires you to create a pretty in-depth profile where you upload your resume, and a cover letter if desired, in addition to describing additional departments you are interested in and what skills you have in each of those departments. I enjoyed this part as it allowed me to showcase a variety of skills and interests throughout the Specialty department (which includes beer, wine, coffee, cheese, chocolate and the olive bar) where this position is located. I was contacted by phone about 6 days after applying for a roughly 10-minute pre-screening phone interview with the Assistant Team Leader. I was asked a couple of basic questions like "what do you know about Whole Foods?", "why would you like to work for us?", and questions about my resume and background. Additionally, I was asked questions relevant to the department like what local beers I had recently enjoyed (I had just moved to the state but fortunately I had already had 6-7 different local beers), what my favorite cheese is, what my favorite wine is, etc. The Assistant Team Leader I was speaking with informed me that he was pre-screening candidates and that his boss, the Team Leader, would be making final decisions on who to schedule in-person interviews with so I was informed that I would be contacted within a day or two regarding a further interview. I was contacted the next day by the Assistant Team Leader and scheduled an in-person interview for three days later. The interviews with Whole Foods are panel interviews and there were 4 people present for mine.

Some interview questions I was asked: What makes a Trappist beer Trappist? What is your favorite cheese? What wine would you pair with that? What are three different white wine styles besides Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc? If your manager gives you a long list of tasks and a coworker asks you for assistance doing something and you also notice a few messy areas in your department, how would you prioritize? Describe the difference in taste between coffees from each of the 3 main regions of export? What would you prepare and pair (presumably they were open to pairing with wine or beer) for us if we were coming over for dinner tonight? What changes would you make in the wine department? What would you do to increase single-glass wine sales at the bar? What would you do to create repeat business at the bar? If you received a single case of a rare beer where would you display it within the store?

I was asked what pay rate I am looking for, I had read that the average pay for this position was $12-$13/hour so I opened with saying that my skills and background would like to see me in the range of $14 to which they briefly cringed before I had the chance to add that it was negotiable because I'm passionate about this opportunity and am sure they have a budget. The interviews were tightly packed, presumably I was led into the room right after an interviewee and I was told we were "out of time" about 30 minutes into the interview when one of the managers walked me down so they could also guide the next interviewee up. I was told I would be contacted by the next day at the latest. I was called about an hour and a half after I left with a "unfortunately we aren't selecting you for this position." I was asked if I wanted feedback and was told that my wine knowledge wasn't sufficient, that all of the other candidates already work for Whole Foods at that location and that it came down to another candidate having more knowledge. It's strange, I put a lot of effort into creating a well thought out action plan and having thoughtful and informed responses in my interview. I believe I only answered one wine question incorrectly so either they are very strict about this or that outsiders just really don't stand much of a chance when there are candidates from within who are applying as well. He told me that I was very intelligent, well-spoken and seem very passionate and they would love to have me on their team in another position. He instructed me to apply to any open positions online and that they were looking for part-time cashiers if that interested me.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were relevant to the Specialty department, I would advise refreshing or crash-coursing yourself on coffee, wine, beer, and cheese styles before the interview. Bringing notes into the interview is okay, just try not to look at them frequently, of course.   Answer Question

Customer Service Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

They first conduct a pre screening phone interview (TMs from the store call and ask why you want to work for whole foods, and sometimes ask random personality questions like "what is your favorite movie, and why?", and then candidates usually meet with store leadership, and then the 2nd interview is with leadership from the team they are applying to. Some positions require a panel interview. The panel is usually made up of 6 people from the store: Leadership and Team Members. They also started doing group interviews for cashier positions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Whole Foods Market? Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
    The negotiation phase is pretty laid back. They usually call all candidates the same day that they are interviewed and let them know either way.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I got an initial call about a week after I applied. Was hired right after the interview and offered a Full-Time position. You do about a week of training (watching videos, going over job expectations, exc.), and after that you work as a bagger and do carts (go through the parking lot and round up the stray carts and put them away) for 2-4 months. After that point, you shadow a cashier for about 2 weeks and then you get your own till to work.

Grocery Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

The hiring and interview process is very laid back. Basic questions- What do you know about whole foods? Why do you want to work here? What did you do at your previous jobs? What does organic mean to you? Etc. Be sure to study the company just in case they ask you about it.