YMCA Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chorley, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chorley, England

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at YMCA in March 2010.

very quick process apply by standard methods turn up at the store and then you will be notified a few days later if you have got the job or not.

Lifeguard Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at YMCA in April 2011.

Camp America recruitment service, website application and interview, then phone interview with American boss. 10 minutes chatting with her explaining my reasons for going, what I plan to do afterwards and laying down a few rules, and packing requirements

Interview Questions
    • All questions relatively straightforward, why do you want to do it being the main one. My response was: I'd love to experience camp and America, I love working with kids but could do with some practice, loving inspiring youth to be active.   View Answer
    Easy, straightforward, they'd already chosen me by the time we were talking so most importantly be enthusiastic in your application, and explain all your experience working with kids, or a s a lifeguard, overall they take a huge variety of skills though

Housing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woking, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woking, England

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in November 2010.

Why I want to work for YMCA and Young people

Interview Questions
    • why I want to work with youth and vulnerable people   View Answer
    • have ever applied for YMCA   View Answer
    be themselves

After School Site Director Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Wayne, IN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in July 2014.

First: I got a call, asked me about my experience, and asked to come in for group interview.

Group Interview: There was about 15 of us. We did a lot of team builder activities- i.e. charades, name games, if you were stuck on a raft.., etc.

Then I got a call they wanted to offer me a position and do the final interview.

Final Interview: My car broke down so missed my final interview and the next day was training. So, they allowed me to do the training then my interview/fill out paperwork.

Ultimately, after the training I saw I was offered a site assistant job at a pay rate I didn't feel comfortable with. Overall, I loved the experience and wish I was able to take the position. Everyone was so friendly, open, and nice!

Interview Questions

I was offered less hours than initially indicated. The pay rate I didn't feel was appropriate for my specific skill set. (College loans don't pay themselves, unfortunately.) I do however, wish I could have accepted. Great management and co-workers I got to train with.

Member Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA in February 2013.

Easy application. Interview very to the point. If you have former experience with the elderly or children, do mention that. When I interviewed, it was only one interview and lasted 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if put into this situation? Those type of questions, they had very random and awkward situations.   Answer Question
    They start off at a certain pay rate, couldn't talk them into more. I understood due to them being a non profit. I got my first raise within 90 days.

Membership Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norfolk, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in July 2010.

Interviewed by two directors. Easy interview--basic questions. Asked about my background and goals that I had reached in previous job and talked about the expectations of the job they were offering to me. I was asked if I was willing to work hard toward those goals.

No negotiation options.

Day Camp Counselor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in March 2012.

Applied on line in February of 2012. In March, I was contacted for an interview at a Local YMCA branch. They asked a very standard mix of behavior and situational interview questions. It was a very open environment, everyone there seemed very happy and motivated. The cultural environment was beginning to change and the interviewer was asking questions off of two different standard lists because the YMCAs of Minneapolis and St. Paul had just merged.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if one of the children in your group injured themselves?   Answer Question
    They only negotiate if you are an internal applicant. Even then they are unwilling to give you more than a 25 cent raise over what you are currently making.

YMCA Daycare Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jefferson City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jefferson City, MO (US)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at YMCA in July 2014.

I applied by sending in an online application by mail. I was called about a week later for an interview. It was a very quick interview (lasted about 10 minutes). I was called the next day with job offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation needed. The job already came with a free membership.

YMCA Summer Camp Counselor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2014.

After applying online, I was emailed about a week or two later asking that I put my named down to participate in a group interview. I do not do very well in groups, but luckily there was only about five other people there. The interview itself didn't last for that long and the people are really nice. They asked pretty simple questions and the good thing about group interviews is that if someone offers to answer a question first, it gives you more time to think about the answer while other people go ahead. All in all, the process was pretty fast and simple

Interview Questions
    • No questions were that difficult, but this was my second interview at the YMCA so they all ask the same questions (especially if you are going for a counselor position). The only question that trumped me was one about my most creative ideas and me not being the most creative when it comes to certain things, did stump me. That was just me though; others might do fine.   Answer Question

Member Service Representative Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at YMCA.

Pretty basic. You need to know about the company, be ready to talk about why you want to work there and what you can contribute. Know their environment. Be ready to speak about your past experience and your resume and what is on it. Be an outgoing individual, you will be the face of the business and they need to see that you are a relatable person and someone who they would enjoy having around.

Interview Questions
    • Name a weakness or how would you handle a difficult customer   View Answer

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!