YMCA

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lincoln, NE (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2010.

Interview Details There was 1 interview where I was asked several questions about lifeguard certification and swimming abilities. I was also asked what I would do in several situations and what kind of a person I am when it comes to telling customers rules.

Interview Question – I was asked specific questions about what I learned in lifeguard certification   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at YMCA in May 2010.

Interview Details Initial planning and interview process was very smooth. There was a skill demonstration section and a behavioral Q&A. After the interview, it took almost a month for them to get back to me, and then another month afterwards before I could start working.

Interview Question – Explain a time in your life where you overcame a struggle or failure   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, this was an hourly part time job.

Richmond, VA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in June 2009.

Interview Details Hiring included a certification process before the interview. This certification process involved learned CPR, the use of the AED, and basic lifeguarding skills, including how to save a drowning victim and the delivery of first aid. Upon passing this portion, which was dependent on the successful completion of a multiple-choice test and fulfilling the subjective requirements of your instructor, you sat for a 1-on-1 interview to determine whether you were a right fit for the YMCA.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to work with a team.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Monroe, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA in December 2009.

Interview Details Be honest, respectful and responsible. Those with a criminal record need not apply.

Interview Question – Have you ever abused a child. Seems like an easy answer but it's basically the only thing they care about and ask over and over through every part of the process.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is none. Everyone starts at the same salary.

YMCA Lifeguard

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details First you have to pass the lifeguard class and get an ELLIS AND ASSOCIATES LICENSE. Once you complete the class then you fill out an application and get an interview and a background check.

Interview Question – Most questions are easy so there's really no difficulty.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Rhinelander, WI (US)

Interviewed at YMCA

Interview Details The interview was very easy, but I had an in with the previous aquatics manager because I was the best in her class.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

YMCA LifeGuard Interview

YMCA LifeGuard

Interviewed at YMCA

Interview Details They now do a practical and skills interview in the pool for safety, situations, first aid, and other related activities. When I interviewed in 2006, we had to do a bunch of behavioural questions. There were two interviewers and three of us in the same interview. They asked a lot of behavioural questions on leadership.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team to do something great.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA YMCA Lifeguard interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees and interview candidates.