Yahoo

Getting the Interview

23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Carlsbad, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2013.

Interview Details There are two phone interviews before the onsite interviews. I made to the second phone interview. The goal of the first interview seemed to mainly be about getting a good feel for the candidate. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and any problems that I had to overcome. The second phone interview was a technical test. He asked me technical questions, many of which I had found online from past candidates. The twist was how well you knew the subject, and not necessarily whether or not you got the correct answer. This interviewer's tactic was to continuously ask me "how can you make that solution better" after each question. He told me I got most answers correct, yet I stumbled each time he asked me to find a better solution. The stumbling, I feel, kept me from the onsite interviews.

Interview Question – How can you tell if a linked list is circular (goes on forever because it connects to a previous node)?   View Answer

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2013.

Interview Details I was asked about circular linked list, quick and merge sort algorithms. Also couple of questions on Hashing and then moved to Sets and Maps. Overall it was easy. Waiting for the interview results.

Interview Question – No questions were unexpected. Most of them on expected lines on algorithms.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Yahoo

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter.
everything was done professionally.
i was challenged by some very smart people.

Interview Question – how to add all the numbers from 1 to N   View Answers (3)

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Yahoo in December 2012.

Interview Details 2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

Interview Question – 2 written test is deciding factor   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no such phase

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in September 2010.

Interview Details The interview process was very straightforward and simple. The first step was the telephonic round. I was interviewed by 2 people over the phone. This was a test of basic technical skills.

After clearing this round, I was contacted by the recruiter who arranged for me to come down to Bangalore for 1:1 interviews.

In Bangalore, I went through 3 interview rounds from 10am to 4pm, with a break for lunch. Within a couple of days, I was contacted with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Using HTML and CSS, code up a three column layout.   Answer Question
  • Typical JavaScript questions, also basic stuff like coding up a Fibonacci Series in JS.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

Interview Details I cleared 5 rounds of interview for a job offer from Yahoo!. There are 2 telephonic and 3 1:1 interview rounds about a span of 45mintues to 1hour. The main focus of interview are on your mentioned skill set and analytical skills. Be strong and confident on basics.

Interview Questions

• How do you sort an array that consists of only zeros and ones in only one pass
    Design a chat server
    Reversed linked list
      Answer Question
  • What is a virtual function, virtual class, pure virtual function?   Answer Question

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in June 2010.

Interview Details Interviewed for backend position.
Phone screening was mostly revolved around servers scalability issues and connection stacking.
Personal interview is mainly based on my previous projects and technologies.
Whole experience was smooth

Interview Question – How to deal with the scenario of connection stacking and number of open connections in a mail server?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in July 2010.

Interview Details provided 360 degree interview with 9 people, from developers, qe, se, re, to project managers, and product managers,
people are very friendly, and encourage for new ideas and comfort.
initially contacted by hiring manager over the phone, described position with clear description, and clear understanding.
HR staff members are considerate, and offered lots of help in answers all job related questions.

Sunnyvale, CA (US)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yahoo in May 2010.

Interview Details Very important: I had 2 interviews for 2 separate positions. In one I was interviewed by random people, and the other I was interviewed by my future team members. Guess which one game offer? The one where team members did interview.
Phone interview consisted mostly of Java core questions and may be be some threading. Was interviewed by my future manager.
On site, got interviewed by many people:
1) Javascript - language knowledge, and I think solve a problem
2) Java - language knowledge, and I think solve a problem
3) Threading, general how would you design a system.

No Google/Microsoft type questions.

When I was already working at Yahoo my team members when did interviews asked to solve real life problems which we had in our product and then saw if that matched our solutions.

Good to know things: design patterns, threading, when you choose your language then tricky things in your language: example: PhP (magic methods), Javascript (closures, vardiac functions), Java (inner classes)

Interview Questions

• Function in Javascript with variable number of arguments, what are closures?   Answer Question
  • How would you deal with multiple threads coming from UI into your middle tear layer of Model-View-Controller architecture   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Yahoo in January 2011.

Interview Details 4-5 technical interviews and one written

Interview Question – How will you design the Google like autocomplete feature on their front page   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Interviews for Top Jobs at Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees and interview candidates.