Yelp

Updated 10 Dec 2014
Updated 10 Dec 2014

283 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Starts off with a phone interview that is fairly simple and asks what you are currently doing and what you are wanting to do. Pretty much a test to see if you can communicate and have an interesting background and ambition. Then there is 2nd interview where you have three different sections that ask about yourself and general interview questions followed by role play. The role play is not the easiest because they put you on the spot so be quick and keep it simple. After that you should await a phone call the next few days.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in April 2013.

Applied through Monster and Yelp's career section. I got a response within a week to arrange a quick telephone chat/screen. I spoke to someone in HR who was very nice and jolly. We chatted about my resume a bit, and briefly about why I would want to work at Yelp and in Sales.

About 10 days later (I followed up the phone interview by email and phone after 1 and 7 business days respectively). I was invited to come in for an interview at their office on Baker Street. It's a funky office with all the gimmicky stuff and toys to attract a young crowd and (try to) take some of the edge off of what is a slog like day for most people there I imagine. Boiler Room-esque et all minus the scamming.

Here I met the HR person, but was then interviewed by four people (two of them came in together) who I believe were all Sales Managers. Three of them had transferred from US offices to start the London office last year.

They asked mostly run-of-the-mill questions (Why Sales? Why Yelp? Last Job?) and made it quite clear that they were hiring a lot of people with no sales experience for these rolls, and that the interview was more of a personality check and to see how comfortable you are talking under pressure, and I think they deliberately gave me four women interviewers as some sort of test. Odd, but reasonable I suppose

I asked the same few questions about territory, average performance, quotas, compensation to all of them and got different answers each time when it came to performance and quotas which was worrying, with the figures dropping with each subsequent interviewer. Lowering quotas means people have had trouble keeping to the old ones, which is a bit alarming for me when I already know it's going to be a tough job.

In case you don't know, the Account Executives basically cold call 60-100 calls a day to SMEs and work on short sales cycles with no account management. Small closing to prospecting ratios makes for a tough grind.

Interview Questions
    • In two of the interview sessions I had to do a brief role-play mock phone-call with no script or prep time. I was expecting some kind of role-play from reading other reviews. One was for a new business, one was for an established business, and in both cases the 'business owner' had no idea who Yelp was.   View Answer
    Not really any room for negotiation as far as I could see. It's entry level and there are plenty of people applying.

Accounts Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Sent cover letter and got a telephone call to arrange a phone interview for the next day. I prepared well, but must have made a bad impression as the interview started describing the role and asked me if I had any questions after around 3 minutes.. The interview was hard to hear clearly and seemed uninterested from the start.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Yelp.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. First I had a phone screen type of interview that was basic. Then a full phone interview, again not too difficult just getting to know me. Then finally a Skype interview that was one hour. There were two role playing scenarios. Know how to talk to a client and pitch the product

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Interview with three different people. Each time you must perform a make believe sales pitch regarding a product of your choice, yelp itslelf. Different behavioral and basic interview questions.

Account Executive Interview

After sending in my resume I was contacted about 2 weeks later to set up a 20 minute phone interview. During this first interview you are asked basic questions about information sent to you weeks prior and are told immediately after if you'll be interviewed again. The second is either in person or through skipe and you meet with 3 separate people. they ask a variety of typical interview questions as well as role playing setting an appointment with a small business owner to discuss advertising.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you faced challenges and overcame those challenges.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview is first and then in person/skype interview with three current employees that rotate every 20-30 mins. Overall around an hour and hour and half.. Very fast hiring and interview process all within 2 weeks you will interview and hear back

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview very simple, simple personal questions and ending with one role play with feedback
      In person/skype .. all role-playing and why Yelp? IMPLEMENT FEEDBACK. You don't need to know the right answer as long as you implement feedback

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall good experience. During the interview process the sales department has you go through a phone interview and then Skype or in person interview (I'm assuming based on location). During both they give you role play scenarios where you have to cold call someone. It's not hard, but you do have to practice and take their advice seriously.

Interview Questions
    • Call a local business and convince them to subscribe to yelp (the business however doesn't want the product or care about it).   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in December 2014.

I applied through my college via a recruiter. I followed up with her after an on-campus event, and she took my resume and uploaded it to their database. About a week later, I received an email regarding a phone interview.
    The interview process starts with an initial phone screening, lasting roughly 10 minutes. The phone interview is nothing crazy, just want to make sure you can hold a conversation and talk a little bit about yourself. Afterwards, I received an email to schedule a Skype Interview two weeks down the road.
    Had my Skype interview and I met with 2 sales managers. The whole interview lasted roughly 50 minutes. The first sales manager got right down to business, asking questions about my past experiences, biggest success, weakness, etc. Then we did a role play. I did poorly the first time, but she gave me feedback and asked me to do it again. I improved the second time, and she was very happy I IMPLEMENTED HER FEEDBACK. About 5 minutes later, I met with the second sales manager. She, too, was very serious and wanted to get right down to business. She asked me what feedback I had received from the previous manager, and asked me a bunch of standard questions (name a stressful time in your life, a time where you wanted to give up, etc.) Then we did another role play, which I did rather well on. All in all, take their feedback seriously and be conversational. If for the role play, you come out guns blazing pitching all the benefits of Yelp, you'll sound too much like you're selling advertising and they won't dig it.

Interview Questions
    • Schedule a phone appointment with a client
      Convince a client to use Yelp instead of other advertising

View Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

First Contact after applying: seems to check if you are not crazy and you know about the job.
    Second contact: panel interview. Mine was on skype, so one person interviews you and then they leave the room, then the next, then the next. (3 people total) be prepared to do some role plays of cold calling especially closing... He was a tough cookie and would not budge. Be mildly aggressive with getting the deal.
    Third Contact: Background check, and webinar explaining pay structure.

Interview Questions
    • Role play: You have a business owner who you presented to last week and he said he needed some time to think. You are calling to close the deal.

Interviewer: will be subborn says no, says he will put a local print ad, says he does not have the money

Interviewee: Must close, be more confident, flat out say we need to sign you up basically for advertising with us.

Answer Question

PAY my first year is too low compared to other companies