Yelp

Updated 14 Nov 2014
Updated 14 Nov 2014

275 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Starts off with a phone interview that is fairly simple and asks what you are currently doing and what you are wanting to do. Pretty much a test to see if you can communicate and have an interesting background and ambition. Then there is 2nd interview where you have three different sections that ask about yourself and general interview questions followed by role play. The role play is not the easiest because they put you on the spot so be quick and keep it simple. After that you should await a phone call the next few days.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in April 2013.

Applied through Monster and Yelp's career section. I got a response within a week to arrange a quick telephone chat/screen. I spoke to someone in HR who was very nice and jolly. We chatted about my resume a bit, and briefly about why I would want to work at Yelp and in Sales.

About 10 days later (I followed up the phone interview by email and phone after 1 and 7 business days respectively). I was invited to come in for an interview at their office on Baker Street. It's a funky office with all the gimmicky stuff and toys to attract a young crowd and (try to) take some of the edge off of what is a slog like day for most people there I imagine. Boiler Room-esque et all minus the scamming.

Here I met the HR person, but was then interviewed by four people (two of them came in together) who I believe were all Sales Managers. Three of them had transferred from US offices to start the London office last year.

They asked mostly run-of-the-mill questions (Why Sales? Why Yelp? Last Job?) and made it quite clear that they were hiring a lot of people with no sales experience for these rolls, and that the interview was more of a personality check and to see how comfortable you are talking under pressure, and I think they deliberately gave me four women interviewers as some sort of test. Odd, but reasonable I suppose

I asked the same few questions about territory, average performance, quotas, compensation to all of them and got different answers each time when it came to performance and quotas which was worrying, with the figures dropping with each subsequent interviewer. Lowering quotas means people have had trouble keeping to the old ones, which is a bit alarming for me when I already know it's going to be a tough job.

In case you don't know, the Account Executives basically cold call 60-100 calls a day to SMEs and work on short sales cycles with no account management. Small closing to prospecting ratios makes for a tough grind.

Interview Questions
    • In two of the interview sessions I had to do a brief role-play mock phone-call with no script or prep time. I was expecting some kind of role-play from reading other reviews. One was for a new business, one was for an established business, and in both cases the 'business owner' had no idea who Yelp was.   View Answer
    Not really any room for negotiation as far as I could see. It's entry level and there are plenty of people applying.

Accounts Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Sent cover letter and got a telephone call to arrange a phone interview for the next day. I prepared well, but must have made a bad impression as the interview started describing the role and asked me if I had any questions after around 3 minutes.. The interview was hard to hear clearly and seemed uninterested from the start.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall good experience. During the interview process the sales department has you go through a phone interview and then Skype or in person interview (I'm assuming based on location). During both they give you role play scenarios where you have to cold call someone. It's not hard, but you do have to practice and take their advice seriously.

Interview Questions
    • Call a local business and convince them to subscribe to yelp (the business however doesn't want the product or care about it).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and was told to take an online quiz. After that, within a few days, I set up an appointment for the phone interview. The total amount of time was within a week or so. Next I have the in-person interview coming up so hopefully, all goes well and I'll get good news from them! The phone interviewer was really friendly and enthusiastic. They seem to be looking for people with more experience even though they said that some employees started off with no sales experience. I think it really depends on how well you sell yourself to make you look like the best-fit candidate.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

I applied online and was emailed within 2 business days abot scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for a few days later. The interview was relatively easy. I was asked what I knew about the company and the position. There was one role playing question.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to pretend to call a prospective client who has been dogding my calls after initially agreing to buy advertising with Yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied on Yelp's website and was e-mailed a few days later to take a quick online test. Then I was called a few days later for a phone interview and then came into the SF office for an in-person interview with 3 hiring managers. They allocated 20min time slots to do a one-on-one interview with each of the hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • A company tells you that they need a few days to think about the Yelp service you are selling them. A few days later you call them back and they say that they still need more time. At this point you know that they are just trying to avoid you but you need to meet your quota. How do you approach the conversation?   Answer Question
    You can't negotiate. You have to take what you get.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

After a phone interview, I was brought into their office. This interview consisted of a lot of role playing. The employees I spoke with were all very friendly and make you feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • You must be okay with trying to sell someone their product when they continuously say no.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied and got an email to fill out a questionnaire that comes off as difficult but it's not. Just want to see what you would do in certain situations. From there, you get a phone interview that just sees why you're interested in Yelp and Sales. Be sure to study up on the position from the information they email you. Then you'll do an in person interview with 3 sales managers.

Interview Questions
    • Role Plays: First is schedule a meeting. tips: be direct and try to schedule the meeting off the bat. Second is that the customer doesn't want to use the service anymore. Tips: Ask a lot of questions. Overall use their advice and if given another chance to try again, take it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Overall, I did not have the best experience with Yelp. The interviewers seemed kind of in a hurry to get through my interview and were not at all familiar with my resume (one thought I had sales experience, but I don't). So the feeling of being rushed, along with the fact that the interviewers were unprepared really put me off.

After the phone interview (which is really easy, honestly I think they just want to make sure you can hold a conversation and are not a psycho), they had me come in for an on-site interview. As far as the structure, it's a 3 part interview with role play (which is a little awkward--googling some cold calling role play scenarios and practicing will help you get over it). They give you feedback after each scenario and the next interviewer will ask you what the feedback was, and expect you to implement it. Each interviewer also asked some standard interview questions. A few that come to mind are why yelp? Why sales? What is something you've had to work hard for? A time you messed up?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about time when you worked really hard for something and didn't get it.   Answer Question

Interviewers' attitudes were off putting.