Yelp

Updated 21 Jan 2015
Updated 21 Jan 2015

302 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Starts off with a phone interview that is fairly simple and asks what you are currently doing and what you are wanting to do. Pretty much a test to see if you can communicate and have an interesting background and ambition. Then there is 2nd interview where you have three different sections that ask about yourself and general interview questions followed by role play. The role play is not the easiest because they put you on the spot so be quick and keep it simple. After that you should await a phone call the next few days.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in April 2013.

Applied through Monster and Yelp's career section. I got a response within a week to arrange a quick telephone chat/screen. I spoke to someone in HR who was very nice and jolly. We chatted about my resume a bit, and briefly about why I would want to work at Yelp and in Sales.

About 10 days later (I followed up the phone interview by email and phone after 1 and 7 business days respectively). I was invited to come in for an interview at their office on Baker Street. It's a funky office with all the gimmicky stuff and toys to attract a young crowd and (try to) take some of the edge off of what is a slog like day for most people there I imagine. Boiler Room-esque et all minus the scamming.

Here I met the HR person, but was then interviewed by four people (two of them came in together) who I believe were all Sales Managers. Three of them had transferred from US offices to start the London office last year.

They asked mostly run-of-the-mill questions (Why Sales? Why Yelp? Last Job?) and made it quite clear that they were hiring a lot of people with no sales experience for these rolls, and that the interview was more of a personality check and to see how comfortable you are talking under pressure, and I think they deliberately gave me four women interviewers as some sort of test. Odd, but reasonable I suppose

I asked the same few questions about territory, average performance, quotas, compensation to all of them and got different answers each time when it came to performance and quotas which was worrying, with the figures dropping with each subsequent interviewer. Lowering quotas means people have had trouble keeping to the old ones, which is a bit alarming for me when I already know it's going to be a tough job.

In case you don't know, the Account Executives basically cold call 60-100 calls a day to SMEs and work on short sales cycles with no account management. Small closing to prospecting ratios makes for a tough grind.

Interview Questions
    • In two of the interview sessions I had to do a brief role-play mock phone-call with no script or prep time. I was expecting some kind of role-play from reading other reviews. One was for a new business, one was for an established business, and in both cases the 'business owner' had no idea who Yelp was.   View Answer
    Not really any room for negotiation as far as I could see. It's entry level and there are plenty of people applying.

Accounts Executive Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Sent cover letter and got a telephone call to arrange a phone interview for the next day. I prepared well, but must have made a bad impression as the interview started describing the role and asked me if I had any questions after around 3 minutes.. The interview was hard to hear clearly and seemed uninterested from the start.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview was 20 minutes. I was first asked about my personal interests, why a wanted to be in sales and why I wanted to work for Yelp. Then I had to leave a fake voice mail for a prospective business owner who had missed a meeting/call we had scheduled.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

1st Round-phone interview, basic questions about your background and why you are interested in working for the company.
    2nd Round-In-person interview with 3 different people at the company all asking different questions. The goal was to see if I could cold sell several different items in the room as well as convince someone to make a different decision than what they originally planned on making.

Interview Questions
    • Strangest question was, If there was someone who didn't want to work here, how would you convince them to take the job?   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Attended career fair where recruiters seemed very interested. Next was a short online "quiz" basically to see if you are competent. Next was a phone interview. The woman who interviewed me was EXTREMELY rude. it was a very unpleasant experience and made me not want to work for the company.

Interview Questions
    • Leave a voicemail for a potential customer who has canceled on you three times   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

The phone interview was pretty straight forward at first. I was asked about my background and my interest in a high volume cold-calling position. I was asked to pretend to leave a voicemail for a business to get them on board with yelp. After receiving feedback, I was asked to do it again.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was asking to leave a business a voicemail, as described above.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied online and had two rounds of interviews. The first round took place over the phone and was a simple connect and roleplay scenario. After that I passed onto the second round which was conducted over Skype. They were quick and courteous with communicating with me over the phone and email. Overall just some basic background questions, being able to roleplay and do the job they asked, it all played out pretty easily and if you have had a job in sales or another client-facing job then it shouldn't be too difficult to get through each interview round.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, all a matter of asking questions to responses. Just implement the feedback they provide during the roleplays and you should be golden if done the right way.   Answer Question

Received job offer from a company I had more interest in.

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Applied Online. Received an email a week later saying that I had been chosen for an interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. The interviewer was nice and professional. Make sure you do your homework about Yelp beforehand (they are looking for someone who already understands the business model). In my case they focussed on identifying my skills not examining my resume. Speak clearly and close. Accepted second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Role Play- How to get someone to talk to you that has been ignoring your phone calls.   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

A few standard phone interviews, followed by a in person interview that involved a good amount of role playing. They want to see you make adjustments based upon their feedback.