Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated 24 Sep 2014
Updated 24 Sep 2014

256 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yelp.

Starts off with a phone interview that is fairly simple and asks what you are currently doing and what you are wanting to do. Pretty much a test to see if you can communicate and have an interesting background and ambition. Then there is 2nd interview where you have three different sections that ask about yourself and general interview questions followed by role play. The role play is not the easiest because they put you on the spot so be quick and keep it simple. After that you should await a phone call the next few days.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in April 2013.

Applied through Monster and Yelp's career section. I got a response within a week to arrange a quick telephone chat/screen. I spoke to someone in HR who was very nice and jolly. We chatted about my resume a bit, and briefly about why I would want to work at Yelp and in Sales.

About 10 days later (I followed up the phone interview by email and phone after 1 and 7 business days respectively). I was invited to come in for an interview at their office on Baker Street. It's a funky office with all the gimmicky stuff and toys to attract a young crowd and (try to) take some of the edge off of what is a slog like day for most people there I imagine. Boiler Room-esque et all minus the scamming.

Here I met the HR person, but was then interviewed by four people (two of them came in together) who I believe were all Sales Managers. Three of them had transferred from US offices to start the London office last year.

They asked mostly run-of-the-mill questions (Why Sales? Why Yelp? Last Job?) and made it quite clear that they were hiring a lot of people with no sales experience for these rolls, and that the interview was more of a personality check and to see how comfortable you are talking under pressure, and I think they deliberately gave me four women interviewers as some sort of test. Odd, but reasonable I suppose

I asked the same few questions about territory, average performance, quotas, compensation to all of them and got different answers each time when it came to performance and quotas which was worrying, with the figures dropping with each subsequent interviewer. Lowering quotas means people have had trouble keeping to the old ones, which is a bit alarming for me when I already know it's going to be a tough job.

In case you don't know, the Account Executives basically cold call 60-100 calls a day to SMEs and work on short sales cycles with no account management. Small closing to prospecting ratios makes for a tough grind.

Interview Questions
    • In two of the interview sessions I had to do a brief role-play mock phone-call with no script or prep time. I was expecting some kind of role-play from reading other reviews. One was for a new business, one was for an established business, and in both cases the 'business owner' had no idea who Yelp was.   View Answer
    Not really any room for negotiation as far as I could see. It's entry level and there are plenty of people applying.

Accounts Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

Sent cover letter and got a telephone call to arrange a phone interview for the next day. I prepared well, but must have made a bad impression as the interview started describing the role and asked me if I had any questions after around 3 minutes.. The interview was hard to hear clearly and seemed uninterested from the start.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Yelp.

The interview process was great. You are given amazing feedback and all interviews make you feel like they want you to succeed. The questions make you think. I really enjoyed the interview process and felt challenged but treated fair. Definitely seems like an amazing company just from the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp.

I received an email asking to do a preliminary phone interview and we scheduled it for the following day. I spoke to a male but right away, the conversation felt VERY rushed and he didn't seem very personable. I know I'm the one being interviewed but I personally don't like when interviews feel rushed and unimportant. He just asked me basic questions about my knowledge of the company and the services they offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular but like I said, it felt very rushed.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yelp.

I was struggling looking for a post-college job so my friend who works at Yelp mentioned this position and sent me a referral invite. I've never had experience with Sales but hey it would be a great experience and the culture is pretty awesome for someone in their early 20's.

Details:
    Took an assessment which was pretty straight forward and then moved on to a phone screen. That was pretty simple too, just have to be able to hold up a conversation. Then got to the on site interview. This for me was pretty tough, they put you in role playing situations and you have to be able to think on your toes and be personable.

While I didn't get the job, I have to appreciate how relatively quick they made the whole process

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were able to convince someone of something   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

First interview is a phone one. Be prepared for a role playing exercise and perhaps some questions about your biggest success or failure so far. Be confident during this interview and you should make it to round 2.

Interview Questions
    • None really. It's a straightforward process if you've ever done a cold call or been in sales. If you haven't, your best bet is to act more aggressive than usual and don't take no for answer during the interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

It was basically just as everyone on here has explained. Three people with different role play situations.They hire many people at a time, so be prepared to be able to have a pleasant conversation on the spot while trying to make a sale and be sure to use their feedback. Not sure exactly what they are looking for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

3 people interviewed. Scenario questions. Fairly easy scenarios, they just want to see you think and be creative. It was actually a very enjoyable interview. They got a chance to see me talk about my experiences and I got to ask them questions about the position. It felt like a very natural conversation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Yelp in September 2014.

I first had a phone interview with one of the HR people which was fairly simple and they were very nice. Then they had me come into the office for an interview. I spoke to three different people, the first was a few questions about myself and a quick role play. The second was another role play, but a bit more difficult. The third was just kind of a character review and he asked me what I learned from the first two role plays. Nothing crazy. Do not know if I got the job yet.

Interview Questions
    • The second role play was the most difficult part. They want to see how you respond to a tough situation on the phone.   Answer Question

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!