Yelp

Average Difficulty
241 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp in April 2013.

Interview Details Applied through Monster and Yelp's career section. I got a response within a week to arrange a quick telephone chat/screen. I spoke to someone in HR who was very nice and jolly. We chatted about my resume a bit, and briefly about why I would want to work at Yelp and in Sales.

About 10 days later (I followed up the phone interview by email and phone after 1 and 7 business days respectively). I was invited to come in for an interview at their office on Baker Street. It's a funky office with all the gimmicky stuff and toys to attract a young crowd and (try to) take some of the edge off of what is a slog like day for most people there I imagine. Boiler Room-esque et all minus the scamming.

Here I met the HR person, but was then interviewed by four people (two of them came in together) who I believe were all Sales Managers. Three of them had transferred from US offices to start the London office last year.

They asked mostly run-of-the-mill questions (Why Sales? Why Yelp? Last Job?) and made it quite clear that they were hiring a lot of people with no sales experience for these rolls, and that the interview was more of a personality check and to see how comfortable you are talking under pressure, and I think they deliberately gave me four women interviewers as some sort of test. Odd, but reasonable I suppose

I asked the same few questions about territory, average performance, quotas, compensation to all of them and got different answers each time when it came to performance and quotas which was worrying, with the figures dropping with each subsequent interviewer. Lowering quotas means people have had trouble keeping to the old ones, which is a bit alarming for me when I already know it's going to be a tough job.

In case you don't know, the Account Executives basically cold call 60-100 calls a day to SMEs and work on short sales cycles with no account management. Small closing to prospecting ratios makes for a tough grind.

Interview Question – In two of the interview sessions I had to do a brief role-play mock phone-call with no script or prep time. I was expecting some kind of role-play from reading other reviews. One was for a new business, one was for an established business, and in both cases the 'business owner' had no idea who Yelp was.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really any room for negotiation as far as I could see. It's entry level and there are plenty of people applying.

Accounts Executive Interview

Accounts Executive
London, England

I applied online and interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details Sent cover letter and got a telephone call to arrange a phone interview for the next day. I prepared well, but must have made a bad impression as the interview started describing the role and asked me if I had any questions after around 3 minutes.. The interview was hard to hear clearly and seemed uninterested from the start.

Interview Question – Why sales?   Answer Question

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details I got skype interview, and you have to role play. There were three managers, and asked you to role play. It's not difficult but preparing yourself. They are pretty nice and after you role play, and they will give you feedback. You can learn a lot and skills from their feedback.

Interviewed at Yelp

Interview Details Applied on Yelp. Filled out a survey and within 2 days was called to schedule an initial phone interview. First interview went smooth, just wanted to make sure I was interested in Yelp and explained in full disclosure what the position was and salary (no negotiation, but good commission structure). Went into the SF office for in-person interview and met with 3 different people. Make sure to know your stuff about Yelp, but more specifically be prepared to tackle three different situations as explained here.

Interview Question – Try to convince a business owner to schedule a time with you to talk about what Yelp can offer   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in August 2014.

Interview Details Was referred by a friend, so I was contacted within a few days, and they set up a phone interview for a day after. The phone interview is more of a make sure you're not completely incompetent and can hold a basic conversation over the phone than anything strenuous. Afterwards they set up an in person interview at Yelp in SF 3 days after the phone interview. They put you in a room and 3 different people come in and ask you questions and role play with you. They told me they'd get back to me within 2-3 business days. Hasn't been that long yet so no clue if i got accepted or not. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Question – Had to role play and get past the "gatekeeper" to speak with the business owner and set up a phone meeting for 7:30 pm.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details Initial phone call is easy, they want a feel for who you are. After that you have an hour long skype interview where you meet with 4 account managers, they do role play and ask a lot of behavioral questions. Make sure you ask a lot of questions during the role play, and take their feedback and use it.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you won   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details As other interviewers have said, you are interviewed by 3 sales managers. The first impression I had of the place was that it was extraordinarily casual. They were "running late" the day I was there and they rushed us into our respective interview rooms. The first person to interview me asked me why sales, why yelp, and where else I had interviewed/applied. I think this was my major downfall, it threw me off and I honestly wasn't sure how to answer it. We did a role play where I was trying to get a meeting with a business owner. They told me I was too passive and needed to he assertive. That's fine, I knew I could get that down. Next person asked me the exact same questions, but she seemed very uninterested in me. She was looking out the window and at the door the entire time and didn't even seem to be listening to me. Then, she left. No role play. This completely threw me off for the remainder of the interview. The last person came in and asked me the same questions, then did a role play where I had to sell him something. I was very thoroughly explaining the benefits of the product and thought I did quite well. After the interview I sent a thank you to the people who interviewed me. I received an email 3 days later saying they were going with other candidates, which in the end was a good thing for me because I don't think it was a good fit. The job is basically a telemarketing position and you're just expected to make the company money. Pay is not good for a college grad. If you love sales and working for commission, this is for you. Additionally, if you want a laid back college-like environment, this is a great place for you.

Interview Questions

Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied to Yelp for the New Grad AE position in AZ at like 9 AM one day. By the afternoon, I already got a reply asking to set up an initial phone call. The initial call was just a little bit about me, my current location, and why Yelp. I was then asked to set up a Skype call later that week. The Skype video conference took about 50 min (each of the two role plays took 20 min with a 2 or 3-min break in between them). I thought they went well, but I got a rejection email a few days later. Oh well.

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Yelp in July 2014.

Interview Details 15 minute phone call where I explained my understanding of the role (a day in the life of an account executive), talked about a time that I'd competed and won and a time I'd competed and lost.
A few days later I had an hour long skype session where I spoke with three different employees, did some sales role play and answered some behavioral questions.

Interview Question – convince a client to sign the dotted line   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in August 2013.

Interview Details First, they call you on the phone and it's very casual. They just make sure you sound good enough. Then they schedule a Skype or in person interview where you meet with 3 people from Sales upper management. All 3 of the guys who interviewed me had different styles, and we all did a lot of role play.

Interview Question – The first guy acted as a pretty difficult gatekeeper. He also mentioned that a lot of people we call don't know what Yelp is which I found interesting.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took an offer elsewhere.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!