Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015
Updated 13 Apr 2015

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Starts off with a phone interview that is fairly simple and asks what you are currently doing and what you are wanting to do. Pretty much a test to see if you can communicate and have an interesting background and ambition. Then there is 2nd interview where you have three different sections that ask about yourself and general interview questions followed by role play. The role play is not the easiest because they put you on the spot so be quick and keep it simple. After that you should await a phone call the next few days.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp (London, England) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied through Monster and Yelp's career section. I got a response within a week to arrange a quick telephone chat/screen. I spoke to someone in HR who was very nice and jolly. We chatted about my resume a bit, and briefly about why I would want to work at Yelp and in Sales.

About 10 days later (I followed up the phone interview by email and phone after 1 and 7 business days respectively). I was invited to come in for an interview at their office on Baker Street. It's a funky office with all the gimmicky stuff and toys to attract a young crowd and (try to) take some of the edge off of what is a slog like day for most people there I imagine. Boiler Room-esque et all minus the scamming.

Here I met the HR person, but was then interviewed by four people (two of them came in together) who I believe were all Sales Managers. Three of them had transferred from US offices to start the London office last year.

They asked mostly run-of-the-mill questions (Why Sales? Why Yelp? Last Job?) and made it quite clear that they were hiring a lot of people with no sales experience for these rolls, and that the interview was more of a personality check and to see how comfortable you are talking under pressure, and I think they deliberately gave me four women interviewers as some sort of test. Odd, but reasonable I suppose

I asked the same few questions about territory, average performance, quotas, compensation to all of them and got different answers each time when it came to performance and quotas which was worrying, with the figures dropping with each subsequent interviewer. Lowering quotas means people have had trouble keeping to the old ones, which is a bit alarming for me when I already know it's going to be a tough job.

In case you don't know, the Account Executives basically cold call 60-100 calls a day to SMEs and work on short sales cycles with no account management. Small closing to prospecting ratios makes for a tough grind.

Interview Questions

• In two of the interview sessions I had to do a brief role-play mock phone-call with no script or prep time. I was expecting some kind of role-play from reading other reviews. One was for a new business, one was for an established business, and in both cases the 'business owner' had no idea who Yelp was.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not really any room for negotiation as far as I could see. It's entry level and there are plenty of people applying.

Accounts Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp (London, England).

Interview

Sent cover letter and got a telephone call to arrange a phone interview for the next day. I prepared well, but must have made a bad impression as the interview started describing the role and asked me if I had any questions after around 3 minutes.. The interview was hard to hear clearly and seemed uninterested from the start.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

So after I applied on online, 15 mins later I got an email about a phone call interview. This was the first time a job posting has replied to me so fast, I felt very confident. After the phone interview went well, I was asked to come into the office for a onsite interview.

So I drove an hour an a half into SF and spent near $50 for food,gas and parking for this interview. It was roughly an hour long, 40 mins of actual time spent with question and the rest was just me waiting for these two managers to speak to me. They both worked role playing stuff with me and then it ended with them saying "you obviously meet the requirement for someone in this position, we're excited to even have someone like you interview" then he discussed benefits and salary. We talked about my future here at the company as he walked me out.

All of this and I get an AUTOMATED email 2 days later that said they decided to go with another applicant.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

It was a lot of role playing questions. You get interviewed with three managers at separate times. Questions are easy. It was a very quick process, in and out in less than 20 minutes.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied directly to Yelp after receiving an email blast from career builder.com about the position. I received a phone interview offer two weeks later. The phone interview lasted 20 minutes. She asked basic questions about my resume and background, and we did one role play scenario (question listed below). I was invited to the next round on-site interview scheduled for two weeks out.

Interview Questions

• A business owner missed his appointment for the third time. Leave him a voicemail.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

3 interviews with 3 different people. A lot of role paying questions. Know facts about the company. First you have a phone interview. If they like your personal skirt, you get a second interview at the yelp office.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Received an email to get set up for a phone screening. The phone screening was about 20 minutes. Make sure you are familiar with the position and what Yelp does. The interviewer will ask you questions about what you know about the position and the company. She also asked me just some background info about myself about examples of when I've worked on teams and why sales and why Yelp. At the end there is a role play. You have to leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times. She told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving onto the next round and since I am out of state, it would be conducted over Skype. She gave me about 4 open times and I had to choose one.

The second interview is on Skype. At first, they require you to log onto Skype about 15 minutes before your interview. The recruiting coordinator will give you a call to test out the connection and just say hi and ask if you have any questions before the interview happens. She will give you a quick overview of what the interviews will be like. I met with 2 sales managers and each asked basic questions and then finished with a role play. Make sure you listen to their feedback because they will allow you to do it again and they are looking for you to make the changes they spoke to you about. They were both super cool and easy to talk to so don't be intimidated by them.

2 hours after my interview ended, the recruiter called me saying I had moved on to the next round which is a 20 minute webinar about the career paths and training and also a background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a typical day as an account executive at Yelp.
      Tell me about a time when you competed for something and didn't get it.
      Role Plays scenarios:
      1. Leave a voicemail for a pizza shop in Brooklyn that has missed your appointment three times.
      2. Sell me Yelp. I am a car repair shop.
      3. You've already met with me and I own a hair salon. I am calling you to let you know that I really enjoyed your presentation, but I am going to advertise in the local newspaper instead. Convince me not to.

Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and arranged a phone interview via email. When the woman called she spoke like an auctioneer and it was pretty clear she was reading from a script. No difficult questions and no follow up questions. I didn't feel she was really listening to me or trying to get to know me. Interview was very rushed and then it was over.