Yelp

Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated 20 Feb 2015
Updated 20 Feb 2015

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

Starts off with a phone interview that is fairly simple and asks what you are currently doing and what you are wanting to do. Pretty much a test to see if you can communicate and have an interesting background and ambition. Then there is 2nd interview where you have three different sections that ask about yourself and general interview questions followed by role play. The role play is not the easiest because they put you on the spot so be quick and keep it simple. After that you should await a phone call the next few days.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp in April 2013.

Applied through Monster and Yelp's career section. I got a response within a week to arrange a quick telephone chat/screen. I spoke to someone in HR who was very nice and jolly. We chatted about my resume a bit, and briefly about why I would want to work at Yelp and in Sales.

About 10 days later (I followed up the phone interview by email and phone after 1 and 7 business days respectively). I was invited to come in for an interview at their office on Baker Street. It's a funky office with all the gimmicky stuff and toys to attract a young crowd and (try to) take some of the edge off of what is a slog like day for most people there I imagine. Boiler Room-esque et all minus the scamming.

Here I met the HR person, but was then interviewed by four people (two of them came in together) who I believe were all Sales Managers. Three of them had transferred from US offices to start the London office last year.

They asked mostly run-of-the-mill questions (Why Sales? Why Yelp? Last Job?) and made it quite clear that they were hiring a lot of people with no sales experience for these rolls, and that the interview was more of a personality check and to see how comfortable you are talking under pressure, and I think they deliberately gave me four women interviewers as some sort of test. Odd, but reasonable I suppose

I asked the same few questions about territory, average performance, quotas, compensation to all of them and got different answers each time when it came to performance and quotas which was worrying, with the figures dropping with each subsequent interviewer. Lowering quotas means people have had trouble keeping to the old ones, which is a bit alarming for me when I already know it's going to be a tough job.

In case you don't know, the Account Executives basically cold call 60-100 calls a day to SMEs and work on short sales cycles with no account management. Small closing to prospecting ratios makes for a tough grind.

Interview Questions
    • In two of the interview sessions I had to do a brief role-play mock phone-call with no script or prep time. I was expecting some kind of role-play from reading other reviews. One was for a new business, one was for an established business, and in both cases the 'business owner' had no idea who Yelp was.   View Answer
    Not really any room for negotiation as far as I could see. It's entry level and there are plenty of people applying.

Accounts Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Sent cover letter and got a telephone call to arrange a phone interview for the next day. I prepared well, but must have made a bad impression as the interview started describing the role and asked me if I had any questions after around 3 minutes.. The interview was hard to hear clearly and seemed uninterested from the start.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Yelp in February 2015.

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Yelp.

First interview on phone, then meet two employees in person. Interview was professional, spent about 20 minutes with each individual. Did a couple role plays and general questions about backround. From the time of applying online to interview was one week. You will be making 60- 80 calls per day, looks like they have a comfortable working environment for this type of job .

Interview Questions
    • Ask about a time almost gave up and then ended up doing well.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Yelp.

Applied online via their website. The process took about two weeks. Pretty quick considering the amount of applicants they must be receiving. Long story short, got an email from them asking for availability, provided my available time, confirmed with their HR for the interview, and did a phone interview with HR Coordinator. Nothing Special. Just a typical poking-type interview

Interview Questions
    • Fairly basic questions; notorious role play (Sell Yelp to this pizza place that's passed on the appointment three times in past 2 weeks).   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Yelp.

I initially applied for the position online, which only required a resume and a cover letter. They did specify on the website that they wanted the cover letter to be useful, funny and smart. I was then contacted less than 24 hours later via email for a phone interview. They give you specific time slots and ask you which one works for you. The whole process took about a week.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked some initial personality questions, and then I was asked to discuss a time that I had competed for something and lost. I was also asked to role play leaving a voicemail for a company that has already ignored your call three times. It doesn't really matter how well you do initially, they just want to see how you implement their feedback. I was also asked why I was passionate about sales and what I knew about Yelp as a company, and about the specific position of Account Executive.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Yelp.

First, I had a phone interview where they asked basic behavioral questions. We also had a basic role play. The interviewer was very nice and engaging. She told me on the phone that I was going to have a second round interview. The second round interview was in person and I had two role plays with two different people. I was asked to try to pitch Yelp to the person. It was very important to implement the feedback from the first interviewer. Then I attended a webinar

Interview Questions
    • Role play question - leave a voicemail for a business   View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview first. There was a scheduling error on their end day of, which was quite frustrating since I didn't plan to clear out my entire day just to wait for their call, and they just assumed I'd be available. That being said, the actual interview itself was fine. The interviewer was nice and engaging. She told me at the end of the interview that I had made it to the next round, which turned out to be 2 sales managers interviewing me in person at the location in SF.

I applied online – interviewed at Yelp.

Phone interview that was about 15 minutes long. The questions were typical interview questions for the most part. At the end, there was a role-play scenario that involved leaving a voice message for a pizza business that had been avoiding your calls. The person who interviewed me was rude and did not seem to know what they were doing.