Yelp

Getting the Interview

52 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied through LinkedIn and within a couple days was contacted via email that they wanted to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview was a very basic series of questions about my background, "why sales", "why Yelp" and things of that nature. I got through that interview and the next step was an on-site interview. The office is loud, with music playing, and a lot of young employees working the phones. I was taken into a conference room by an HR person who gave me a lowdown of what was to ensue. There was 3 rounds of interviewers and role playing. I felt like I was at a Pokemon gym, getting through each round and finally to the gym leader. The first round was a really nice guy who asked me some basic questions and then a role play. The role play was basically me calling a business and getting an appointment with them. He said I did well and got the appointment (role play appointment, not a real one). His only criticism was to be a bit more assertive. Round 2, I was greeted by a woman, and asked similar questions. The role play was to close a deal with a business selling them an ad package. I didn't think I did as well as she made it out to be and felt a bit flustered at one point, but she said I did great so I'm not complaining. The final boss I had to face was, as expected, the most difficult. She wasn't as nice and smiley as the first two, but she was by no means unpleasant. I guess she just didn't seem as enthusiastic or impressed, but this could simply be her demeanor. We got into the role play rather quickly, and I had to try to sell her "a product I was passionate about". CHOOSE SOMETHING YOU KNOW INSIDE AND OUT. I must stress this. Whoever the interviewer will be I can guarantee will be very resistant. I chose my juicer. Her feedback was that I knew the product well, but need to show a little more passion about it. To conclude the interview she asked me why they should consider hiring me, what makes me stand out, etc... You know the deal with these ubiquitous, generic interview questions. All in all, the interview wasn't too difficult, but not a breeze. Be prepared for the role plays, be yourself, and don't panic. Most of the employees there, including the interviewers, had no sales experience initially, so don't worry if you make some minor mistakes and get a little criticism like I did. I was told I'd be emailed in 3-5 business days. I received it in one and was told by a senior recruiter that she wanted to set up a half hour phone call to talk more about the position, if I'm interviewing with other companies, and what the next steps would be. This means they are interested in hiring you. This isn't another interview, it's really just to see how interested you are in the position and to decide if you'd like to accept their offer and commence with the training program. Good luck!

Interview Question – What is a quality that your family or friends say you have that you think is off mark?   View Answers (2)

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp.

Interview Details Got a phone interview after I applied through linked in through a friend referral. First interview was a phone interview which was only 15 minutes asking you basic questions. Made it to the next round in person in NYC. Thought it went well.

Interview Question – Role play I found somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in March 2014.

Interview Details Initial phone interview, in person role plays, follow up call

Interview Question – What is something your friends and family say about you that is off mark?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Account Executive Sales Interview

Account Executive Sales
New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Yelp in January 2014.

Interview Details The first interview is over the phone and only lasted about 15 minutes. The initial questions are
1) What is Yelp
2) What is the product we offer local businesses
3) How would you succeed in a mainly cold calling, fast paced environment
5) Why do you want to work at Yelp
The next part of the interview the interviewer talks a little but about what they do and their experience at Yelp

Interview Question – 4) When was a time you had been rejected or failed at something, what did you do to respond?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

Interview Details A little long but its very in-depth and I hope it helps someone getting a job with them

2 total interviews.

PHONE INTERVIEW:

Guy was supposed to call me between 10-10:15am but ended up calling around 10:45.
He was apologetic so it was okay.
Asked questions like Why Yelp, Why should we hire you and some other standard questions. Not too difficult.
MAKE SURE YOU READ THE EMAIL THEY SEND YOU!! They will ask what you know about Yelp. Just follow the email and you'll be fine.
The Interviewer said "Wow, you killed it!!"
Their 15 min interview only lasted 8 minutes with me. I felt great
Once I passed that(you'll know immediately), they scheduled me an in-person interview.

They also sent me link to complete a background check. Kind of odd since all my previous employers submitted one after all my interviews. I could be wrong though.

IN PERSON INTERVIEW(TAKE A NOTEBOOK WITH YOU):

My interview was scheduled two days after my phone interview.
Once I arrived, the place seemed like a zoo(loud music, felt like a dorm, lots of young guns on the phones hustling), but I liked the atmosphere.
Had an interview with THREE sales managers separately

First Manager was a young lady who asked me some questions that the person from the phone interview did(Why Yelp, tell me something about yourself, etc.....) After that, we did some role playing.
"Pretend im a business owner and try to sell me Yelp... Ring Ring.."
She said I did well and gave me some pointers for minor improvement. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN WHAT THEY SAY!!
We did it one more time and she said "Very Good".

Second Manager was a nice kid and asked WHAT DID THE PREVIOUS MANAGER SAY(WRITE DOWN THEIR FEEDBACK)? He then asked "Try to convince me on getting Yelp instead Google"
I did most of the talking and he said, "Wow, Outstanding".
Once he said that, he went over benefits, pay, career advancement, etc...
He then asked me if I really wanted to work here because I was very qualified and this is indeed an entry level sales Job. I said "absolutely"
I pretty much said to myself that I got the job.

Third interviewer was a young women who asked me to sell her anything I wanted.
You can choose whatever you want. BE SMART ABOUT THIS! Don't sell something like a Kindle or an Android phone because she'll be like, "well, I won't give up my iPhone or iPad". Choose something that doesn't have much competition and make sure you know the product inside and out. She was tough but her objections to me were quite amusing.
After selling my item to her, she said "good job" and tried to give me some pointers.
I honestly didn't agree with most her pointers but kept it to myself. I just kept saying okay and agreeing with her. She said she's done phone sales her whole life and gave me horrible sales advice. Her advice was "don't waste too much time pitching and talking to a customer, pitch the deal and close it!" I said I was building rapport since thats what huge corporations like AT&T and other fortune 500 companies taught me. She really didn't agree but we were laughing about it and I was being as professional as possible.
Listen, you may be great on the phone, but selling face to face is a different animal. I've been doing it for almost 10 years!! Give me advice on phone sales(because thats what ill be doing), not face to face since I've excelled at it.
After that she thanked me and walked me out. I honestly felt like I KILLED IT!! I felt like a million bucks. All three managers said I was very enthusiastic and had great selling abilities and I expressed to them that I am very coachable.

Once I got home I emailed the recruiter and the other managers who interviewed me a Thank You Letter.

About 10(!!) days later, I received an email stating they found other qualified candidates.
I was shocked since I was more than qualified and all three managers said I did very well. If you don't think I did well, just say "you could have done a little better"!!
Don't kiss my ass and say you did Great or Outstanding. I wasn't too disappointed because after you BUST your ass and hit your quota, you'll only make 45K TOPS. I mean, it is an entry level position and everything happens for a reason.

I would have likely declined the job anyway since the pay was abysmal but I was honestly going back and forth back and forth about it because its a product and company I believe in. The job market sucks so thats another reason why I was debating

Interview Question – Something negative people say about you   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in September 2013.

Interview Details Had phone interview with a very tense woman who already had made her decision before speaking to me

Interview Question – She seemed bored there weren't any questions   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY (US)

I interviewed at Yelp in June 2013.

Interview Details Weird role play questions, snotty interviewers

Interview Question – Tell me the most disappointing thing in your life   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

Interview Details Put in an application through jobvite for an employee referral (I have a friend who works there) and heard back a few days later. They emailed me asking when was a good time for a phone interview, so I set one up the next day.

Phone interview went really well and I was able to set up an onsite interview two days later.

Went to the onsite interview, looked nice, felt good, felt prepared, and was greeted by the recruiting manager who had been emailing me. He showed me around the office and brought me to a conference room strangely titled "Galaga". I waited for the interviews.

First interview - younger guy, had me try to make an appointment to pitch yelp to a Pizza shop by cold calling the shop. Did it once, he gave me some feedback, tried again and did really well. He asked me a few other questions, basic stuff like "why yelp?" "why sales?", etc..

Second interview - another younger guy. Had me try to follow up on a potential client who I'd already called, but the catch was that the owner had decided to advertise in Newspapers instead. My job was to convince him that yelp was a better path to go down. The first try, again, was a little off, but after feedback I did better.

Third interview - younger woman, had me try to sell any product. I tried spotify. She was very resistant, as other reviews here had suggested she might be, but the trick was to be persistent. I did so, but with this third interviewer I didn't feel as comfortable. She was definitely the toughest interview of the three.

I left feeling I had done a pretty good job in my interview, but got an email back at the end of the following week saying they'd found other candidates with better experience to move forward with. I'm skeptical that they just didn't think I was a good fit, though, since I've seen my friend (employed there) post online that they're looking for help as of a couple days before I heard back.

Overall, Yelp's NY office seems like a good group of people to work with, and the pay and benefits are definitely fine for a recent grad. The interview was a pretty good experience and I've got some points to take away from it for sure!

Interview Question – What would you do if you got to the end of your training period and everyone else in your class had closed on a sale except you?   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied through my college career site and got an email the next day saying I had been selected for a brief phone interview.

The phone interview was simple, probably lasted about 15 minutes. I was asked what I knew about yelp as soon as I answered the call. Then I was told more about yelp. Then I was asked why I wanted to go into sales and if I thought I would be happy making cold calls all day everyday. She really wanted to just make sure they weren't wasting their time by interviewing someone who was not interested in an entry level sales position. My advice for the phone interview is to just seem super excited and make sure you read up on what yelp is and does and what you will be doing. You could be based in NYC, but be calling Toronto, Atlanta, San Diego whatever territory you are assigned.

At the close of the interview she said I sounded like I would be a great fit and asked me to set up a skype interview as I was in Florida and the job is in NYC. They were rushed for time so the interview was scheduled for the following day.

The skype interview was HARD. I had never interviewed for a cold calling position so role playing was a foreign concept to me. We did 3 role plays as everyone here has said. The first was to set up a follow up call with a pizza place in Brooklyn that is trying to blow you off, the interviewer will say things like they have no budget or don't really need any advertising. The second interviewer pretends to be a business that has decided not to use yelp but to put money into their website or google ads. They will say things like well if our website is crap nobody will take us seriously and we only have money to invest in one. The third interviewer wants you to sell them something you are passionate about... I chose a kindle. BAD choice, he just kept saying how he wanted an ipad and everybody has an ipad and he wasn't concerned about price because he really wanted an ipad.

The keys to the skype interview are... be passionate, smile, be energetic, ASK QUESTIONS--- why do you want to do that, what got you to that conclusion, why does that matter, never accept a NO, and remember their names! The 2nd interviewer asked me what the first ones name was and what she said.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you failed...   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Yelp in November 2013.

Interview Details Phone interview does not allow much room to show character and impress. The interviewer expects you to repeat the 10 facts about yelp, and the daily blog of an account executive.
In my opinion, it does not properly screen potential workers, as it does not allow any room for creativity or self expression. Not sure on what basis the interviewer grades the phone interviews.

Interview Question – The question are as follows "
1. Tell me what you know about yelp (10 facts)
2. What can you tell about the product
3. What do you know about the position
4. Why do you fit the job (examples can be found in the provided blog)

Hardest question? When the interviewer asked what i want to ask him.
After this mutually scripted phone interview i wasnt sure i am talking to a real person at that point.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Something better came up

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!

Yelp Videos

Yelp – Why Work for Us?

Yelp (NYSE: YELP) connects people with great local businesses. Yelp was founded in San Francisco in July 2004. Since then, Yelp communities have taken root in major metros across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yelp interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 52 interview reviews posted anonymously by Yelp employees and interview candidates.