Zillow Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 9 Apr 2015
Updated 9 Apr 2015

2.9

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Got an email asking to solve 2 coding problems as soon as possible. Finished in one week, and got no feedback on the problems. After one week, received another email said that I was rejected.

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Zillow in February 2015.

Interview

This was the stupidest interview I have ever attended yet. I was told to code two questions before a phone screen, passed that and went to the phone screen. A person called me and asked a very simple tree traversal question which I solved using recursion first. He then asked to solve it in a different way which I did and gave him three other solutions. All this took less than 20 minutes. I had written working code which you could compile and run. And then I get a reject next morning. I am relieved that I got a reject cause God knows how people work in this company. I would never recommend anyone to interview with them. There are much better places to work in Seattle so please don't even consider this to be an option.

Pointer: For those who are still going to take a shot, I think the they filter out the code sample answers is by looking at the timestamp of your files that you send. So make sure that the date/time of creation and date/time of last modified is not more than one hour. A simple solution would be to solve the questions, create a new file and paste the solved questions, wait for about an hour, modify the file and send it.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Zillow in January 2015.

Interview

Everything seems fine at beginning. I did really well during the two technical phone interviews and the interviewer said so, too. Yet two weeks after the time that I should be contacted, the recruiter told me that I was not selected for further process. I do not have any idea why it turned out like that. I am really confused where went wrong during the process that made me lost this opportunity.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Zillow.

Interview

I had applied online and also contacted the HR via email. The HR replied asking me to start on with the process
    Step 1: Take home coding challenge - the same 2 questions that Zillow asks everyone
    I completed this in 4 days
    Step 2: Phone interview
         - general discussion on my previous projects
         - find all pairs that add up to a certain value in an array
    Step 3: Skype interview
         - general discussion on my previous projects
         - find lowest common ancestor
    Step 4: Onsite - 4 technical rounds on whiteboard with different team members. The code that you write needs to be perfectly compilable.

Over all my experience was great. The HR was very quick to follow up and I completed my process very fast. Amazing office in downtown Seattle, with a great view from the 34th floor.

The interviews were very helpful and always carried a happy face.

Interview Questions

• a modified dynamic programming took me some time to figure out   Answer Question

Negotiation

They had a great offer (overall including benefits) and I loved the company culture, so took it straight away.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Zillow.

Interview

First they sent me two coding problems to finish. It's not difficult. The first one is convert a string to a long int. The second is implement insert and delete in a tri-nary tree. Two or three days after I submitted my solution, they made a phone interview with me. Why Zillow? How do I know Zillow? They also gave me some questions to coding in collabedit, such as Fibonacci, factorial calculation, which are not difficult.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online, received word from a recruiter that they wanted me to complete a coding exercise, as others here have stated. Completed the exercise, sent it to them, was told that it would be reviewed by an engineer, and heard that I would not be moving forward.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Three weeks after submitting my resume, I got the email from recruiter. Two coding questions just like many have said. Two phone interview, just normal questions. And Onsite interview. Great office location.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Zillow in November 2014.

Interview

They sent me one coding challenge consisting of two questions one is to implement insert and delete for tri-nary search tree, other one is to convert string to integer. They just asked me to send code in a file, they don't use Hacker rank or any such tools. I did both and tested it well, but i got a rejection mail after three days. I have read similar experiences.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Zillow (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Offline programming assignment containing 2 questions.
    1) Implement the function to convert a string to integer.
    2)Implement a ternary tree, i.e a tree in which each node has three children left, right and middle. Left is smaller than the node value, right is larger and center is equal to the node value.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair and gave them my resume. A week or so later they sent out a coding challenge, which I completed and sent back the next day. They responded very quickly, and I was set up with a phone interview for the following week, which consisted of big-O questions, then a short coding question involving data structures. We had some time left over, so he talked about working at Zillow and answered some questions I had. The interviewer was very nice and organized, and it went well overall.

A few days later I got an email saying I had passed the phone interview phase and they wanted me to come in for an onsite interview sometime the following week. Onsite, I was interviewed by three separate employees for about 45 minutes each. They have you sign an NDA, but the questions were typical of what you expect from an interview for a coding position, nothing extremely easy, but nothing insane either. I got a bit stuck on one problem, but the interviewer did a nice job of nudging me in the right direction. After the technical interviews, they gave me a tour of the place and answered any remaining questions I had. I got a call two days later saying they enjoyed talking with me, and gave me an offer that I had two weeks to decide on, which I accepted. I received interviews with three other companies, and Zillow's was the most enjoyable by far.