eBay Inc. Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
346 interviews

3.1

Editor Interview

I found their handling of the initial application process very unprofessional. I did a two-hour screening test for eBay. It was administered in Germany for a job based in the UK. I was initially asked to do the test between 8am and 6pm within 2 days of asking, despite the fact that I was working at the time. I was able to rearrange it for the evening.

The woman administering the test kept me waiting for half an hour from the agreed start time for the two hour timed test, which they emailed to me.

They never sent even a form rejection after the test, despite my taking the time to arrange to do a two-hour test at short notice. Even when I emailed (politely!) to follow up, they never bothered with the courtesy of a reply.

Head of Customer Insight Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

I had one interview in the London office. The manager outlined what the role involved and then chatted about the company. The manager did not ask questions about my CV and as I talked about my experience it became apparent that the manager had not read my CV prior to the interview. The manager was changing jobs at the end of the month so wanted to recruit a mediocre replacement in order to make herself look good.

Advertising Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, London, England
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, London, England

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Quick call with the recruiter, very professional. 1:1 onsite interview with the hiring manager who showed up late and without my CV, we sat in an open space, I was asked very basic and general questions. Few and confused info about the position. Waited more than a month for a feedback. Disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but quite unexpected and useless for the level of the position. Why would you be awesome for the position? My questions were more focused on the business and on eBay advertising plans for the next years. Maybe having at least the CV of the candidates in front of your eyes would help interviewing better. The person was constantly looking at the mobile.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2013.

Recruiter found me CV on a job board. I had a telephone conference interview with two people. It was a technical interview & it was pretty standard apart from few questions related to TDD. Being a graduate, I found it difficult to have knowledge about Test Driven Development. Other questions were straightforward including binary search, pass by value vs pass by reference & java related questions

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding Agile software development & TDD which I found unexpected as being a graduate I did not really have any experience in TDD.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

HR phone screening and then 1-2-1 Competencies based interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to work with people who were resistent to change   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

3 rounds: hiring manager, case interview presentation & panel interview, and peer interviews

Classification Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2012.

Interview for an entry level contract - permanent position:

1. Online numerical test:

They use a very demanding banking numerical test (the type you'll find on efinancial careers) to vet applicants as they are looking for a 'certain calibre of individual'. The average mark is around 40%.

I was given a series of questions and asked to prepare a short presentation around those questions to be performed during the interview. This involved ideas on how the classification structure of the website can be improved based on other websites/your own knowledge of the concepts behind classification.

2. Series of interviews

The first interview was where I delivered the presentation I had prepared (with print outs from the website/other websites to show my reasoning. I was then challenged on some of my ideas.

In the second I discussed more at length why I wanted to work for eBAY and why this role in particular

The third was an unprepared case study where I was shown some typical classification problems and asked what I thought the solution was.

The final interview was more of a discussion about myself, my interests and what I could bring to the role. The interviewer focused a lot on my personal interests wanted to find out 'what made me tick in the world of work'

Two interviews were a panel and the other two were 1:1

I was rejected because they weren't convinced this was the right role for me and thought I didn't demonstrate enough interest in the day-to-day work of a classification specialist.

They were very prompt about giving feedback and it was refreshing to be given the chance to conduct different interviews with different people on the same day where your strengths and weaknesses could be assessed as a whole. I also thought the team were very friendly and unintimidating.

Interview Questions
    • What are the good and bad points about eBAY's classification structure based on what you've seen of other similar sites. What would you change?   Answer Question

Support Function Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, London, England
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, London, England

The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2012.

Nice location in Richmond, not an impressive reception and quite small for a business of this size I thought. Everyone dressed down in jeans and t-shirts; while I was very booted and suited. Interview was very friendly and chatty to the point of being very unstructured which surprised me-in hindsight I question whether I was being tested on whether I would pull the "agenda" back on track; which I did not do.

Senior Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2009.

I applied after seeing the job posting on LinkedIn. I emailed with the recruiter and had a phone conversation/interview - about the role, my current position, etc. I was invited to come in for an interview with the person I would be reporting to. That interview was a basic resume interview, plus a market sizing case related to the role. I was told I would hear back the following week but didn't; when I followed up I was told they wanted to invite me in for a second and final round, consisting of interviews with 3 more people and a presentation on a topic related to the role to all the people I'd interviewed with. This was all supposed to happen in one afternoon but as it happened one interview, with the MD, had to be rescheduled to the day before the other interviews and presentation. That interview was one of the more awkward I've had (beyond typical awkwardness): the MD was aloof. I was fine with that and the interview was going fairly well until one point when, talking about a particular topic, I asked the MD for some examples of what they'd done. She didn't give me specific examples so I asked for some, she still didn't give any, so I asked again and she became (it seemed to me) annoyed/angry ('we're going off on a tangent, we don't need to go into detail'). So I backed off. Then later in the interview she checked her mobile while I was speaking. I was surprised at how unprofessional she seemed given that she was the MD. I got a call later that evening saying that I didn't need to come in the following day as they thought they needed someone with more direct relevant experience, but there was also a comment that they needed someone more 'analytical'...although the interview involved no sort of assessment of analytical skills. That just seemed absolutely ridiculous since I'm one of the most analytical people I know! More importantly I thought it was inconsiderate to have had me go to the trouble of preparing the presentation and then not give me the opportunity to present it. In the end I emailed them the presentation and I also asked for more specific feedback on my performance and (mis)match for the job, but never heard back. Again, unprofessional, I thought. It's just a shame because (a) I know I could have done a very good job in the role (actually I think I am overqualified for it), and (b) it's left a terrible taste in my mouth about this company and it would take a long time before I'd consider working there after this experience.

Director Level Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Campbell, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2014.

Got asked to interview mostly because I was able to connect to the hiring manager via a contact I have at eBay. I suspect that uploading resumes would not have worked.

Initial "screening" call with HR ("talent acquisition") was fairly bland, just talking about why I wanted to work for eBay.

Main interview took place a week later, with a series of 6x 30-60 minute one-on-one interviews lasting all morning and into the mid-afternoon. Many of the interviewers appeared unprepared, with very few probing questions, lots of repetition between them, and quite a few empty gaps where you could see them trying to think of something else to ask.

A more junior interviewer had obviously been asked to run a case study, but it was pretty simple - "what process and tests would you run to check the effectiveness of this change to the user interface".

Some questions came up about my lack of retail experience, but as this role was more related to business operations, I stated that it's more my business operations experience that counts.

A week later, I was offered the role and sent all the relevant forms to fill in, along with a request for references.

Unfortunately this is where things started to go wrong... My 6 reference (must have 5+) were sent a link to a web-based review questionnaire from an external company called "Skillsurvey". This was a full-on 360 review. I had to chase the references to let them know what was going on, as they had many problems with something appearing in their inboxes that looked suspiciously like spam / phishing. No problem with 360 reviews, I've had a ton before, but it would be useful to explain how this fits into the process.

Silence ensued for 2 weeks, with no feedback from eBay until a week prior to my allotted start-date. At this point I had a call from the HR rep to say that my references were not to the "standard required" by the company and my offer has been withdrawn.

I asked for feedback in the form of the anonymized report from Skillsurvey, but they refused to share this. I reached out to my referees who all confirmed that they'd given me high marks, nothing that would indicate that they didn't think I'm a strong fit for the role. However, none of the referees are able to access what they submitted online to check / confirm this.

Obviously something has gone wrong with the Skillsurvey black box? Have eBay received the correct data (they referred to my low scores being "across all five references", even though I'd had 6...) Surely eBay would be keen to understand this and rectify if possible? No. After sending copies of positive comments from the referees, I have had stony silence from eBay with no desire to either provide me with useful constructive feedback, or potentially just explain that although I got an average of 6 out of 7 they are looking for 6.5 out of 7...

In summary, the interview process was quite simplistic and the post-interview experience has been very poor with little interest in providing useful feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Many people were interested in knowing my eBay feedback score.   Answer Question

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!