eBay Inc.

299 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Advertising Sales Manager Interview

Richmond, London, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details Quick call with the recruiter, very professional. 1:1 onsite interview with the hiring manager who showed up late and without my CV, we sat in an open space, I was asked very basic and general questions. Few and confused info about the position. Waited more than a month for a feedback. Disappointing.

Interview Question – Not difficult but quite unexpected and useless for the level of the position. Why would you be awesome for the position? My questions were more focused on the business and on eBay advertising plans for the next years. Maybe having at least the CV of the candidates in front of your eyes would help interviewing better. The person was constantly looking at the mobile.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

London, England

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2013.

Interview Details Recruiter found me CV on a job board. I had a telephone conference interview with two people. It was a technical interview & it was pretty standard apart from few questions related to TDD. Being a graduate, I found it difficult to have knowledge about Test Driven Development. Other questions were straightforward including binary search, pass by value vs pass by reference & java related questions

Interview Question – Questions regarding Agile software development & TDD which I found unexpected as being a graduate I did not really have any experience in TDD.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details HR phone screening and then 1-2-1 Competencies based interview with hiring manager

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to work with people who were resistent to change   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview Details 3 rounds: hiring manager, case interview presentation & panel interview, and peer interviews

Interview Question – Case interviews on e-commerce   Answer Question

Classification Specialist Interview

London, England

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2012.

Interview Details Interview for an entry level contract - permanent position:

1. Online numerical test:

They use a very demanding banking numerical test (the type you'll find on efinancial careers) to vet applicants as they are looking for a 'certain calibre of individual'. The average mark is around 40%.

I was given a series of questions and asked to prepare a short presentation around those questions to be performed during the interview. This involved ideas on how the classification structure of the website can be improved based on other websites/your own knowledge of the concepts behind classification.

2. Series of interviews

The first interview was where I delivered the presentation I had prepared (with print outs from the website/other websites to show my reasoning. I was then challenged on some of my ideas.

In the second I discussed more at length why I wanted to work for eBAY and why this role in particular

The third was an unprepared case study where I was shown some typical classification problems and asked what I thought the solution was.

The final interview was more of a discussion about myself, my interests and what I could bring to the role. The interviewer focused a lot on my personal interests wanted to find out 'what made me tick in the world of work'

Two interviews were a panel and the other two were 1:1

I was rejected because they weren't convinced this was the right role for me and thought I didn't demonstrate enough interest in the day-to-day work of a classification specialist.

They were very prompt about giving feedback and it was refreshing to be given the chance to conduct different interviews with different people on the same day where your strengths and weaknesses could be assessed as a whole. I also thought the team were very friendly and unintimidating.

Interview Question – What are the good and bad points about eBAY's classification structure based on what you've seen of other similar sites. What would you change?   Answer Question

Support Function Interview

Richmond, London, England

The process took 1 week - interviewed at eBay Inc. in May 2012.

Interview Details Nice location in Richmond, not an impressive reception and quite small for a business of this size I thought. Everyone dressed down in jeans and t-shirts; while I was very booted and suited. Interview was very friendly and chatty to the point of being very unstructured which surprised me-in hindsight I question whether I was being tested on whether I would pull the "agenda" back on track; which I did not do.

Interview Question – What are the future challenges for eBay?   Answer Question

Senior Category Manager Interview

Senior Category Manager
London, England

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2009.

Interview Details I applied after seeing the job posting on LinkedIn. I emailed with the recruiter and had a phone conversation/interview - about the role, my current position, etc. I was invited to come in for an interview with the person I would be reporting to. That interview was a basic resume interview, plus a market sizing case related to the role. I was told I would hear back the following week but didn't; when I followed up I was told they wanted to invite me in for a second and final round, consisting of interviews with 3 more people and a presentation on a topic related to the role to all the people I'd interviewed with. This was all supposed to happen in one afternoon but as it happened one interview, with the MD, had to be rescheduled to the day before the other interviews and presentation. That interview was one of the more awkward I've had (beyond typical awkwardness): the MD was aloof. I was fine with that and the interview was going fairly well until one point when, talking about a particular topic, I asked the MD for some examples of what they'd done. She didn't give me specific examples so I asked for some, she still didn't give any, so I asked again and she became (it seemed to me) annoyed/angry ('we're going off on a tangent, we don't need to go into detail'). So I backed off. Then later in the interview she checked her mobile while I was speaking. I was surprised at how unprofessional she seemed given that she was the MD. I got a call later that evening saying that I didn't need to come in the following day as they thought they needed someone with more direct relevant experience, but there was also a comment that they needed someone more 'analytical'...although the interview involved no sort of assessment of analytical skills. That just seemed absolutely ridiculous since I'm one of the most analytical people I know! More importantly I thought it was inconsiderate to have had me go to the trouble of preparing the presentation and then not give me the opportunity to present it. In the end I emailed them the presentation and I also asked for more specific feedback on my performance and (mis)match for the job, but never heard back. Again, unprofessional, I thought. It's just a shame because (a) I know I could have done a very good job in the role (actually I think I am overqualified for it), and (b) it's left a terrible taste in my mouth about this company and it would take a long time before I'd consider working there after this experience.

Interview Questions

Financial and BI Analyst Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

Interview Details get 2 rounds phone interview, first from a Director of Data Center Operations, second from a Senior Manager at Global Data Center Service and a Senior Finance Manager.

Interview Question – How to build the financial model for Data Center future capacity expansion?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Product Manager Mobile Intern Interview

San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at eBay Inc. in April 2014.

Interview Details I had two rounds of interviews. First with the Hiring Manager and then with his manager. People were friendly. The whole process took less than a week's time. However, it took a long while to receive the offer letter.
First Round:
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. What language did you use as a developer. Tell me the pluses and minuses.
3. Walk me through your achievements.
4. Where do you rate yourself in SQL?
5. Did you face challenges when dealing with other teams? How do you come out of it?
6. Any questions for me?

Second Round:
1. How did you land up in your college? Do you think you made the right decision? How do you know it?
2. Why do you think internship is necessary for you and at eBay?
3. How are financing your education?
4. Tell me the analytics similarities and differences between my previous company and eBay?
5. Any Questions for me?

The entire recruitment team was very friendly and helpful.

All the best!

Interview Question – I never thought they would ask about my college and questions related to that!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer, I heard, is one of the best in the industry! Also, it very closely matched to what I wanted to post my MBA, I did not really bother!

Software Engineer II Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at eBay Inc. in March 2014.

Interview Details Initially the recruited contacted me and scheduled a 30 minute phone screen. He asked me about my background and resume and noted down everything I said, and told me he would pass on these details to all hiring managers.

After a few days, I was scheduled for two technical phone screens on the same day - one hour each.

I was asked basic algorithm questions in both the interviews.

I solved the algorithm asked in the first interview within 20 minutes. But, he kept asking for other possible solutions. He accepted my initial solution to be the best approach, but still wanted me to identify other approaches. I would have suggested 5 or 6 approaches. He then asked the question #2 when there was just 5 minutes left.

The interviewer in the second call was in a high position, but hardly knew how to talk in an interview. She could not answer me a simple question I asked to her (about development methodologies the team used).

I received a rejection email within 3 days after the interview.

Interview Question – 1. Implement a function that would accept two strings and check if one string is an anagram of the other.
2. Given an array(list) of integers, write a function that would determine if the elements in the array can be divided into two parts each giving the same sum.
3. Email address drop-down application. For example, when we type email address while composing an email, we get a drop down of suggested email address options starting with same letter(s). Write code to do this. (This was basically the implementation of trie data structure).
  Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. interview questions and advice. All 299 interview reviews are posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees and interview candidates.