eBay Inc. Interview Questions

Updated 16 Apr 2015
Updated 16 Apr 2015

3.1

Analytics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2014.

Interview

I had 3 telephone interviews and 4 face to face interviews over a 7 month period. The final interview consisted of 4 back to back interviews each lasting one hour with a different person. I was surprised to find that I did not see any English people in the Richmond London office. I can only assume that eBay does not employ English people.

Interview Questions

• What has happened to eBay in the news recently?   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Interview

I found their handling of the initial application process very unprofessional. I did a two-hour screening test for eBay. It was administered in Germany for a job based in the UK. I was initially asked to do the test between 8am and 6pm within 2 days of asking, despite the fact that I was working at the time. I was able to rearrange it for the evening.

The woman administering the test kept me waiting for half an hour from the agreed start time for the two hour timed test, which they emailed to me.

They never sent even a form rejection after the test, despite my taking the time to arrange to do a two-hour test at short notice. Even when I emailed (politely!) to follow up, they never bothered with the courtesy of a reply.

Advertising Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (Richmond, London, England).

Interview

Quick call with the recruiter, very professional. 1:1 onsite interview with the hiring manager who showed up late and without my CV, we sat in an open space, I was asked very basic and general questions. Few and confused info about the position. Waited more than a month for a feedback. Disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult but quite unexpected and useless for the level of the position. Why would you be awesome for the position? My questions were more focused on the business and on eBay advertising plans for the next years. Maybe having at least the CV of the candidates in front of your eyes would help interviewing better. The person was constantly looking at the mobile.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at eBay Inc. (London, England) in May 2013.

Interview

Recruiter found me CV on a job board. I had a telephone conference interview with two people. It was a technical interview & it was pretty standard apart from few questions related to TDD. Being a graduate, I found it difficult to have knowledge about Test Driven Development. Other questions were straightforward including binary search, pass by value vs pass by reference & java related questions

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding Agile software development & TDD which I found unexpected as being a graduate I did not really have any experience in TDD.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

HR phone screening and then 1-2-1 Competencies based interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to work with people who were resistent to change   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

3 rounds: hiring manager, case interview presentation & panel interview, and peer interviews

Support Function Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. (Richmond, London, England) in May 2012.

Interview

Nice location in Richmond, not an impressive reception and quite small for a business of this size I thought. Everyone dressed down in jeans and t-shirts; while I was very booted and suited. Interview was very friendly and chatty to the point of being very unstructured which surprised me-in hindsight I question whether I was being tested on whether I would pull the "agenda" back on track; which I did not do.

Classification Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (London, England) in May 2012.

Interview

Interview for an entry level contract - permanent position:

1. Online numerical test:

They use a very demanding banking numerical test (the type you'll find on efinancial careers) to vet applicants as they are looking for a 'certain calibre of individual'. The average mark is around 40%.

I was given a series of questions and asked to prepare a short presentation around those questions to be performed during the interview. This involved ideas on how the classification structure of the website can be improved based on other websites/your own knowledge of the concepts behind classification.

2. Series of interviews

The first interview was where I delivered the presentation I had prepared (with print outs from the website/other websites to show my reasoning. I was then challenged on some of my ideas.

In the second I discussed more at length why I wanted to work for eBAY and why this role in particular

The third was an unprepared case study where I was shown some typical classification problems and asked what I thought the solution was.

The final interview was more of a discussion about myself, my interests and what I could bring to the role. The interviewer focused a lot on my personal interests wanted to find out 'what made me tick in the world of work'

Two interviews were a panel and the other two were 1:1

I was rejected because they weren't convinced this was the right role for me and thought I didn't demonstrate enough interest in the day-to-day work of a classification specialist.

They were very prompt about giving feedback and it was refreshing to be given the chance to conduct different interviews with different people on the same day where your strengths and weaknesses could be assessed as a whole. I also thought the team were very friendly and unintimidating.

Interview Questions

• What are the good and bad points about eBAY's classification structure based on what you've seen of other similar sites. What would you change?   Answer Question

Senior Category Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. (London, England) in March 2009.

Interview

I applied after seeing the job posting on LinkedIn. I emailed with the recruiter and had a phone conversation/interview - about the role, my current position, etc. I was invited to come in for an interview with the person I would be reporting to. That interview was a basic resume interview, plus a market sizing case related to the role. I was told I would hear back the following week but didn't; when I followed up I was told they wanted to invite me in for a second and final round, consisting of interviews with 3 more people and a presentation on a topic related to the role to all the people I'd interviewed with. This was all supposed to happen in one afternoon but as it happened one interview, with the MD, had to be rescheduled to the day before the other interviews and presentation. That interview was one of the more awkward I've had (beyond typical awkwardness): the MD was aloof. I was fine with that and the interview was going fairly well until one point when, talking about a particular topic, I asked the MD for some examples of what they'd done. She didn't give me specific examples so I asked for some, she still didn't give any, so I asked again and she became (it seemed to me) annoyed/angry ('we're going off on a tangent, we don't need to go into detail'). So I backed off. Then later in the interview she checked her mobile while I was speaking. I was surprised at how unprofessional she seemed given that she was the MD. I got a call later that evening saying that I didn't need to come in the following day as they thought they needed someone with more direct relevant experience, but there was also a comment that they needed someone more 'analytical'...although the interview involved no sort of assessment of analytical skills. That just seemed absolutely ridiculous since I'm one of the most analytical people I know! More importantly I thought it was inconsiderate to have had me go to the trouble of preparing the presentation and then not give me the opportunity to present it. In the end I emailed them the presentation and I also asked for more specific feedback on my performance and (mis)match for the job, but never heard back. Again, unprofessional, I thought. It's just a shame because (a) I know I could have done a very good job in the role (actually I think I am overqualified for it), and (b) it's left a terrible taste in my mouth about this company and it would take a long time before I'd consider working there after this experience.

Interview Questions

• Value/size the market of the category you'd be managing   Answer Question
    • How would you improve the product?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc..

Interview

I apply on line and get a phone interview. The interviewer was 30 minutes late and only interview me about 5 minutes, just asking some simple question about my resume. And then I get rejected next day.