eBay Inc.

Updated 20 Feb 2015
Updated 20 Feb 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. in February 2015.

I got a phone call from the recruiter who mentioned that eBay is their direct client. The recruiter herself asked some basic Core Java questions. Then they send me a email to solve a technical question and write up about my experience in cloud computing.

Interview Questions
  • Write a program in Java to assess a given string whether it complies with following patterns. Return true if a given string complies with these patterns else false.

N = N1 + N2
    N>= N1 >= N2
    where N is the Nth element in the string or element at Nth position;
    N1 is the (N-1) element in the string & N2 is the (N-2) element in the string.

Example 1: 224610
    Elements in this string are 2, 2, 4, 6, 10.
    First Set: 2+2=4 (N2=2; N1=2 & N= 4);
    Second Set: 2+4=6 (N2=2; N1=4 & N=6);
    Third Set: 4+6=10 (N2=4; N1=6 & N= 10)

Example 2: 1112233558
    Elements in this string are 1, 11, 12, 23, 35, 58

Example 3: 1101102203
    Elements in this string are 1, 101, 102, 203

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for eBay Inc.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc..

2 Phone screens and an onsite

Interview Questions
    negotiated and agreed on mutually accepted offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2013.

2 skype interviews. Usually programming. Gayle lakman book algorithm questions.

4 onsite technical interivews which are agian from same book.

3 skype or onsite rounds with director/manager which can be combination of algorithms and managerial questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given staircase on which you can climb 1,2 or 3 steps at time. Give count of all combinations to reach top of staircase.

Doubly linked list, find middle element and delete.

Remove all occurence of a character out of string in array.

Answer Question
    Usually what you ask is what you get. Sometimes less than that. So they often bump up the joining bonus and relocation bonus to match up. Note that joining bonus are subject to 44% tax.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview process went very smooth as I was getting hired as a full time employee coming from over a year working there as a contractor. Technical part was fun and challenging.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at eBay Inc..

Got a call from recruiter and she setup 2 PS back to back .

The first interviewer was polite and would give time to think . he was sensible and patient .whereas the second interviewer who was member of technical staff was extremely rude and arrogant and looked to be in a hurry as it was friday eve 5.00 pm . she kept interrupting even when i said give me a minute to think. very bad style of interviewing people . she kept 15 mins for me to ask questions to her in 45 mins of interview process and gave me only 30 mins to answer two big data structure questions in which she did 15 mins of talking explaining questions .

i work for amazon so no way was going to settle with arrogant ppl.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in June 2012.

I applied online via dice
    Recruiter called me after a few days and scheduled a telephonic technical round
    then 5 rounds of in person interview at ebay office each 30-45 minutes

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at eBay Inc. in December 2011.

I got contacted by a recruiter back in Nov. We setup a time to talk, and then 2 phone interviews. One of them was primarily focused on Java. The other interviewer was more interested in general problem solving abilities, and my knowledge and experience with data mining. Both phone interviews went well and I was invited to an on-site interview.

I interviewed on-site for a couple of hours with 5 people and had lunch with the hiring manager. All interviewers were very nice to me and seemed interest in my experience and projects.

A week later I received a call from the recruiter saying they were giving me an offer. We went through the details and I accepted it. A few days later I was asked to complete all the necessary paperwork, including background check and references. Everything was fine up to that point. Then a new recruiter took over this hiring and we discussed relocation details etc.

A few days passed, then weeks, and I kept calling the recruiter to ask why I haven't gotten anything. The recruiter gave me different versions about the story, including that they were processing my offer letter. I've called them several times for many days and they sometimes answer the phone and say something different but never call me back.

To say the least, I am very disappointed. I declined two other job offers while I was going through this process, thinking I had a job. Now that I declined the other job offers, the recruiter doesn't even call me to tell me what happened to the job offer. Extremely unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at eBay Inc. in October 2011.

This was a group of Paypal folks and interviewers were pretty casual at the same time knowledgeable. I could feel the passion in their pulse. Also everybody looked very laid back and did not show stress on their faces which was most important to me.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple of on the go questions from the manager. These were not typical questions and he didn't really expect the correct answer but just wanted to know how I thought. From what I remember one was the way I would think to use quadratic equations to solve a daily problem. I don't remember the other one.   Answer Question
    Not much was there to negotiate as they offer more than what I asked for.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at eBay Inc. in August 2011.

Got a call from recruiter.
    First was a phone screening which went well.

Second phone was horrible :
    Interviewer was not at all interested in taking interview, inspite of all the correct answers he gave a negative feedback.
    He was looking frustrated and was in super hurry looked like he was on a coffee break while taking interview.
    Did complaint to recruiter ..

Interview Questions
    • Which one better to either div or table for a grid ?
      which will perform better ?

Answer Question
    • what are different type of CSS selectors ?
      What are Id selectors ?

Answer Question
    • what is difference between
      Arraylist a = new Arraylist (); and
      List a = new Arraylist () ?

• what design patterns have you used .. explain how.   Answer Question
    • Difference between singleton and a class with all static methods.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at eBay Inc. in July 2011.

The interview consisted of the following questions:

1. Lowest common ancestor problem with different scenarios. The interviewer asked me to come up with all possible solutions and then compare them.
    2. Hash table related question.
    3. Producer consumer problem.
    4. C++ STL questions and class related questions (constructor, destructor, automatic garbage collection)
    5. Implementation of heap
    6. questions related to resume
    7. implementation of hash table and collision resolving techniques

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. You either accept it or leave it.