We aim to give our employees every chance to flourish in their careers and grow as part of a global company.
We believe in supporting, developing and rewarding those who work for us, at every level. Just as we lead the way in our specialist fields – steel and mining – we also aim to pioneer when it comes to giving our employees every chance to develop their careers and grow as part of the worldwide ArcelorMittal family.
As part of the world’s leading steel and mining company, ArcelorMittal USA offers a wealth of diverse opportunities. Whether you work in production in Pennsylvania or as a purchaser in Indiana, joining ArcelorMittal is the start of a journey that, we hope, will lead to a fulfilling, diverse career.
Work with us and we’ll work with you to help you achieve your potential. We operate extensive career enhancement programs that serve not only to ensure that our workforce is constantly learning and improving, but also that members of the ArcelorMittal family have the opportunity to be motivated to develop and to satisfy their ambition to have a rewarding working life.
Key facts and figures that show what makes our company unique
- In 2011, USA salaried employees logged a total of 50,054 hours of training
- 2,411 USA employees participated in a free biometric screening program through the company’s wellness program, Transforming YOU
Enriching our Communities
In addition to providing good paying, sustainable jobs that contribute to the local economy, ArcelorMittal USA is also committed to investing in programs and projects that are making a positive impact in three key areas that are critical to our communities and our business: education, environment and health and safety. We believe that our success as a company truly depends on the success and sustainability of our communities.
- USA Community Support in 2011:
- Total philanthropic contributions: $5.8 million
- Total community beneficiaries: 5 million
- Number of grants awarded to local nonprofit partners: 190
- Number of completed volunteer projects: 131
- Number of community service hours donated by employees: 3,087
- Dollars donated to nonprofits, hospitals, schools and community-based organizations through the employee matching gifts program, Give Boldly: $1.9 million
- Number of organizations supported through Give Boldly: 356
- Number of employees making donations through Give Boldly: 5,300
Sustainable Steel Products
Through advancements in research and development, ArcelorMittal USA plays an important role in the innovation of steel products that meet today’s sustainability requirements, from automotives and appliances to buildings and infrastructure.
- ArcelorMittal’s S-in motion product line, launched in 2011, identifies a catalogue of 43 key vehicle parts that together reduce the weight of a modern 5-door C-segment vehicle by 22 percent. These advanced steel solutions offer the most competitive life cycle emissions profile of any competing material, allowing today’s automakers to achieve safe, affordable and fuel efficient vehicles.
- In addition to providing steel solutions that help reduce emissions for the vehicles on our roadways, ArcelorMittal USA also supports the growing need for public transportation to address the challenge of traffic congestion in America’s cities. In 2011, ArcelorMittal Steelton became the only U.S. manufacturer of tram rail, or 112TRAM, used in street car projects.
- Our facility in Coatesville, Pennsylvania has supplied more than 10,000 tons of steel plate for the 105-story World Trade Center building in New York City.
- Built from approximately 57 percent recycled steel, the ArcelorMittal Orbit is now the tallest sculpture in the United Kingdom, created with more than 2,200 tons of steel, 35,000 bolts and more than 5,000 gallons of paint.
Sustainability and the environment
Steel is the most recycled material in the world – more than aluminum, paper, gas and plastic combined. In North America alone, more than 80 million tons of steel are recycled or exported for recycling annually, according to the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI).
- All of ArcelorMittal USA’s operating facilities received ISO 14001 certification from the International Standardization Organization
- ArcelorMittal USA is the first and only steel company to be recognized as an ENERGY STAR® Partner by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). The ENERGY STAR Award for Sustained Excellence, awarded in March 2012, marks our fifth consecutive award, recognizing our continuous growth and accomplishment in energy management and commitment to energy efficiency.
- Recognizing the important role water plays within our business and our communities, we continued to take a leadership role in Sustain Our Great Lakes, a public-private partnership with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Forest Service, and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. Sustain Our Great Lakes’ mission is to restore and protect fish, wildlife and habitat throughout the Great Lakes basin. This is accomplished by leveraging funding, building conservation capacity, and focusing partners and their resources on key ecological issues. Through 2011, Sustain Our Great Lakes has provided support to the restoration/enhancement of:
- 17,000 acres of wetland, coastal and associated habitat
- 86 miles of streams and river banks
- 774 stream miles of aquatic connectivity
Rewarding our employees
Today's steel industry is increasingly competitive, advanced and innovative—and full of attractive job opportunities. As the industry leader, ArcelorMittal is developing the advanced processes that are transforming the steels used in the automotive, appliance, construction and energy sectors.
At ArcelorMittal, we encourage our employees to be innovators and leaders, and place great emphasis on personal development. So if you don't want to grind away at a routine, now is the time to join ArcelorMittal. You'll enjoy a stimulating work environment with exceptional learning and growth opportunities.
Career opportunities – what we offer
Steel is everywhere. In the structure of our homes, in the cars we drive, in the buildings around us – steel supports and shapes the world in more ways than we realize. Because of its essentiality, the steel industry provides dynamic and sustainable career opportunities.
As the world's leading steel company, our ongoing success is based on our core values, which we live every day: Sustainability, Quality and Leadership. These are the building blocks of our brand promise, "Transforming Tomorrow," which reflects our commitment to setting globally recognized standards with the needs of future generations in mind.
With competitive benefits and pay, a multicultural work environment and ongoing training, ArcelorMittal offers excellent career opportunities. We are always looking for the best, brightest minds to help us transform the future of steel. In return, we offer a engaging work environment that allows our employees many unique opportunities to explore the latest technological advances-—advances that will ensure our position of strength and leadership for years to come.
Preparing the workforce of tomorrow
ArcelorMittal supports and spearheads programs across the entire education continuum by building partnerships and providing funding, volunteers and subject matter expertise.
- STEM Futures - At partner schools in the United States, ArcelorMittal supports education initiatives in kindergarten through 12th grade, primarily in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). Funding supports professional development, sustainable STEM resources and efforts to build awareness of manufacturing jobs as a career alternative, addressing the required skill set and education needed to succeed.
- Steelworker for the Future - ArcelorMittal, in partnership with participating community colleges or technical schools, offers an associate degree program that combines targeted curriculum, developed collaboratively between ArcelorMittal and the institution, with paid on-the-job training at a USA facility. Graduates earn a degree in Mechanical Maintenance or Electrical Maintenance.
- Campus Partnership Program - Through partnerships with leading four-year colleges and universities, ArcelorMittal supports engineering and technology curriculum to ensure that students are prepared to enter the workforce upon graduation.
Through our summer internship program, ArcelorMittal USA offers unique opportunities for students to apply the knowledge and skills they are learning during their undergraduate studies. Our program is typically a 10-12 week paid summer internship. For eligible interns, we offer housing assistance in the form of a stipend paid directly to the intern.
Diversity and inclusion
We believe the diversity of our workforce is an asset, bringing fresh ideas, perspectives and experiences in a welcoming environment where everyone has the opportunity to fully participate
To us, people matter. To be a truly international and innovative company, we consider it vital to respect the individuality of every person working with us, and to embrace the opportunities that diversity in the workplace brings.
Diversity and an inclusive workplace are critical to our company and we are taking extensive measures to ensure that the attitudes of openness and inclusivity are embedded at every level of ArcelorMittal.
With a presence in 60 countries, we are a truly global company and we want our workforce to reflect this. Our diversity and inclusion policy spells out our intentions to have a workforce that is reflective of different cultures, generations, genders, ethnic groups, nationalities, abilities, social backgrounds and all the other unique differences that make each of us individuals.
Women at ArcelorMittal: gender diversity and inclusion
We are focused on enhancing gender diversity and supporting women leaders across the company. Towards this aim, we have created a steering committee of ten senior ArcelorMittal executives, five men and five women.
The mission of this committee is to define our strategy for achieving a gender balance in the workforce, and to support the implementation of the measures agreed upon:
- to define the gender diversity and inclusion strategy and how it complements ArcelorMittal’s business strategy
- to understand gender-related challenges and barriers to create and communicate frameworks, policies (including HR policies) and KPIs to support women at ArcelorMittal to ensure that a gender-diverse and inclusive culture within ArcelorMittal becomes a competitive advantage for our sustainable growth, making us an ‘employer of choice’ for women
ArcelorMittal USA Photos
I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (more than 10 years)Pros
Good company to work forCons
none what so ever retiredAdvice to ManagementAdvice
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through college or university – interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA.Interview Details
I talked to them at my university's career fair and they scheduled me for an interview during the fair. The recruiter I talked to was very sincere, answered all my questions to his best extent and really wanted to help students grow. The interview was on campus the next day and was about 4-6 behavioral based questions all STAR format. No technical or creative questions, pure behavioral questions. Some questions were: what was the hardest programming project you have completed, what are your strengths and weaknesses, describe a time where you and group members weren't getting along, describe your leadership experience, and a few more.Interview Questions
No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
- So you volunteered for a non profit organization, what didn't you like about the organization? Answer Question
ArcelorMittal USA is part of ArcelorMittal, the world’s leading steel and mining company. Guided by a philosophy to produce safe, sustainable steel, we are a leading supplier of quality steel products in major North American markets including automotive, construction, pipe and tube, appliance, container and machinery. ArcelorMittal USA employs more than 20,000 people at 28 operations across the United States.