Beckman Coulter develops, manufactures and markets products that simplify, automate and innovate complex biomedical testing. Our diagnostic systems are found in hospitals and other critical care settings around the world and produce information used by physicians to diagnose disease, make treatment decisions and monitor patients. Scientists use our life science research instruments to study complex biological problems including causes of disease and potential new therapies or drugs.
Hospital laboratories are our core clinical diagnostic customers. Our life science customers include pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, universities, medical schools and research institutions. More than 275,000 Beckman Coulter systems operate in both diagnostics and life sciences laboratories on six continents. For more than 75 years, our products have been making a difference in peoples’ lives by improving the productivity of medical professionals and scientists, supplying critical information for improving patient health and reducing the cost of care.
We value honesty and courage, and strive for excellence and innovation. We have a genuine desire to do the right thing – always. We work in a fluid environment in which flexible responses and accommodating change on a regular basis is important. Much of our work is accomplished in partnership with others and within the framework of large, inter-disciplinary teams that stretch beyond the traditional boundaries of time and geography.
Our employees enjoy a large degree of autonomy and responsibility because we trust them to achieve results. We have a number of global initiatives that have succeeded because of grass roots efforts by a number of our employees. Our employee engagement program has succeeded in large part because of a ground swell of movement at the local level. Our Wellness program has successfully spread to every site in the United States in just one year because of efforts by employees at the site level.
We believe in the principle that work can be accomplished in many ways other than sitting at your desk. In fact, the open design of the new Beckman Coulter World Headquarters is based on that idea. Employees can be seen holding an impromptu meeting at our Coffee House or Coffee Bar over a cappuccino, or gathering for a brainstorming session in our Outdoor Park during a game of ping pong, horseshoes or the putting green. We also have a number of Quiet Rooms in each building whenever employees need to be focused or handle a confidential matter.
We work hard to make sure we reward our employees with competitive and comprehensive benefit packages – so we can add value to their lives and their families’ lives. We provide ongoing support for your personal and career development through our tuition assistance program as well as internal training, conferences and seminars. Our annual Performance Share Plan provides bonus opportunities for all employees based on Beckman Coulter’s achievement of financial goals plus individual performance.
Our benefits include:
- Flexible benefits plan including options for medical, dental, and vision care
- Generous paid time off policies
- An award-winning Wellness program that includes an annual health screening and personal health assessment to identify any current or future health risks; and resources, including a personal coach, to help guide employees toward their individual health goals
- Retirement plans – Beckman Coulter offers a company-funded, defined contribution plan as well as a voluntary 401(k) program with a matching contribution of $.50 for each dollar on the first 7% of pay.
- Life insurance and disability income protection
- A Beckman Coulter Credit Union with exclusive rates and services.
- A whole host of volunary benefits like discounts on auto and homeowner’s insurance and discount tickets to major attractions and special events.
Many of our summer interns and participants in our four rotational programs have found a home at Beckman Coulter. We take great pride in our College Relations program and believe we offer a well-rounded and enriching experience, offering exposure to a variety of functions within our company. Our programs will provide you with a substantial and noteworthy entry on your resume. Your success is our success.
Rotational Programs Benefits:
- Competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k) program, and a stock purchase plan, tuition assistance, and a generous paid time off policy.
- Housing, travel, vehicle and moving costs covered for duration of the programs
- Fellows rotate among multiple Beckman Coulter facilities
- Full-time job placement at completion of the program.
Innovation Fellowship Program
- 12-month program with four, three-month rotations. Each rotation will be located at a different company site.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Biomedical, Software or Computer Engineering, or Computer Science required.
- At program end, we offer job placement at one of the following sites: Brea, CA; Chaska, MN; Indianapolis, IN; or Miami, FL.
- 10 to 15 candidates hired in July.
Scientific Development Program
- 12-month program with three, four-month rotations. Each rotation will be located at a different company site.
- PhD required in a science field, which includes immunology, chemistry, biology, or molecular biology.
- At program end, we offer job placement at one of the following sites: Brea, CA; Chaska, MN; or Danvers, MA.
- 4 candidates hired in 2010; 5 to 8 candidates targeted for hire in 2011.
Commercial Leadership Program
- 9-month program involving several office- and field-based rotational assignments exposing individuals to many areas of the business including sales management, marketing, finance, client services and product development.
- Bachelors degree in Business, Life Sciences or Liberal Arts required.
- Upon successful completion of the program, we offer full-time field sales assignments in any of our geographic regions within the United States.Candidates must be open to geographic relocation.
- Program begins annually in July.
Beckman Coulter is currently seeking talented individuals to join our Summer Intern Program. For current opportunities, please search our Jobs-USA site. We ask that you apply on line for any opportunities that you are interested in.
Campus Recruiting. We are continuing to take part in campus life activities and look forward to meeting you when we are on campus. Be sure to look for events at your local University to see if we will be on site.
Join Us. Be sure to check back periodically for any updates.
Beckman Coulter Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (more than an year)Pros
Various opportunities for growth with increasing levels of responsibility. Pay is decent.Cons
Workload can be overwhelming, training can be limited. Faced fending for yourself to get the necessary tools to get the job done.RecommendsNeutral OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online. The process took 2+ months – interviewed at Beckman Coulter in August 2014.Interview Details
About three weeks after my application, I had a phone interview of an hour with two managers of BC's Genomics division. The interview was mainly about my educational and professional background and about details concerning the position. The interviewers were very focused and professional. In between, I felt that the conversation was slightly too stiff but my overall impression of them was very good. So I was glad to receive an invitation for a face-to-face meeting in London. The interview was planned to last 3 and a half hours and to include a 30 minute scientific presentation from my side.
I confirmed the date and asked very cautiously if they would share travel expenses to some extend as I needed to take a flight from Germany and the final phase of my Ph.D. studies had not been financially very rewarding. To my surprise, the HR department was completely unprepared for this question. I decided to leave it at that and booked the trip anyway as the position sounded very interesting.
Twelve days before the date, I was informed by e-mail that the interviews might need to be postponed due to one of the manager's schedule. I called the HR department and told them that this would be very unfortunate as I took a day off at work and booked the trip. The HR staff was very friendly and promised to discuss the situation with the hiring manager. Exactly one week before the date, I was informed by e-mail that the interviews will definitely be postponed. No financial compensation was offered but I was asked succinctly if I would be happy to be contacted again once a new time-frame for the interviews was set up. I declined.Interview Questions
No OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
- As pointed out in the job description, you would need to fulfill a variety of different tasks. Where do you think you would need most help to be able to perform well. Answer Question
Like the nerdiest kid in school, Beckman Coulter never saw a test it didn't love. The company makes more than 600 diagnostic testing systems and supplies, from simple blood tests to complicated genetic diagnostic tools. Its wares are used by hospital and other clinical laboratories to suss out diseases and monitor their progression. Its clinical products include immunoassay, clinical chemistry, and hematology systems, as well as products in the growing field of molecular diagnostics. In addition to its systems for diagnosing patients, Beckman Coulter makes life science...