24 Hour Fitness

Updated 15 December 2014
3.1

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair
Elizabeth Blair

Pros
  • Hourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership (in 164 reviews)

• There is a free gym membership with the job and discounts for family and friends (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up (in 29 reviews)

• Some of the upper management didn't seem qualified to run a large corporation (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company with a great vision

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Good environment, many growth and promotion opportunities

Cons

When sales are bad, no one is happy and no one gets promoted.

Inspiring place to work in, remarkable leadership that cares about it's employees.

Current Employee - Club Manager
    Current Employee - Club Manager

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership, 10 personal training sessions a year. Personal development, on going training and learning. Innovative. Supportive place to work. Good benefits and pay. There is no better place to work!!!

Cons

Sometimes have to work long hours

Continue to develop and support us. Keep staying ahead of the curve, thank you for listening to your team on the field. I look forward to growing with this company for many years to come. Don't ever change your core values and mission. Make future summits overseas

Membership Counselor

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

-Members are great and makes your day go by faster
    -Great co-workers
    -Amazing gym

Cons

-Non-commission
    -Expected to sell personal training as well (not getting paid for it)

Reward your membership counselors, or give them a high hourly pay.

Happy with the company

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in San Bernardino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in San Bernardino, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Always evolving to get better. Friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Could work on better marketing on the personal training side of the business but better than some of the other gyms IMO.

I probably don't know more than our management team but I would like to see a more sustainable marketing strategy that will keep the flow of new clients at a steady rate.

could be better

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

great hours,people and the atmosphere

Cons

low pay, long days rude people sometimes

Fun place to work part time

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Fun place to work part time, flexible schedule while in college. Free membership, learn customer service skills.

Cons

Lack of concern for employees, commission was taken away from front desk staff. Too much politics between managers, schedules changing every week (more hrs, less hrs) depending on who the manager liked, not based on job performance.

Train managers better, give incentives to loyal employees.

Ehhh

Current Employee - Service Representative Night in Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Service Representative Night in Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overnight is very laid back..no managers...hardly any members

Cons

No raise, gets very boring at times

Raises to the ones that actually bend over backwards to cover shifts...made me stop covering

Fun place to work

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Working with individuals that are passionate about fitness. Flexible schedule while in school learning about customer service. You meet a variety of customers.

Cons

Multiple benefits taken away. Front desk staff was given commission for accounts that were behind however that stopped along with commission on supplements.

Implement different ways to show your staff they're appreciated.

Not bad for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Free membership for you to work out

Cons

Bad pay even with experience

Decent company from corporate stand point, but still needs improvement.

Former Employee - Fitness Manager, Assistant Fitness Manager, Master Trainer in San Marcos, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Number one: The clientele. Some of the best people I've had the please to work with, both professionally and on a personal basis. To clairify this, the professional relationships I built lasted for years (not typical for most staff to retain clients for 5-6 years consistently). After helping to change lives to the extent i had to opportunity to, was a truely satisfying experience. Helping clients through divorces and many types of negative experiences, losing 40-80 lbs not only changed their lives from a physical stand point, but on a confidence and psycological level was truly profound. I even attended several weddings, as my clients and I formed those type of realationships.
    The management could be hit and miss, however, there were often changes and if one didn't exacly "get along" with the mgt., as a trainer one is primarily left to manage one's own business. As long as one the trainer was productive, meaning one hit/ exceeded sales numbers you were left alone to manger your clientele. It was a lesson as in which one could learn to be an independent business owner.

Cons

Work life balance: Dependent on how much personal time you were willing to sacrifice. My biggest complaint was how much I was charging my clients ($70/ hour) compared to how much my maximum I could earn ($23/hr plus up to 25% commission on peronal training sales). Taking into account a 40 hour work week (training actual clients), which is pretty hard to accomplish and $8,000/mo in sales (taxed as bonus 39.5%) max gross was $5,680 with a net. So, net was $1,210 (@39.5% TR) + $2,760 (@25% TR) = $4,020.
    However, to do this, actually training 40hr/s wk means, having to book 50-60 hrs/wk due to cancellations etc. This is considering one is one is a Master Trainer (a bachelors, three nationally recognized certificatons, and over 5,000 training hours), not to mention the sacrifice of personal time. So, work/life balance if one is to pull max pay as a seasoned, dedicated trainer is virtually non-exhistent. This is a good job, not career, unless one has minimum of a bachelors, which is essential to making it into management and making a real salary, anywhere b/w 80-120k. Assuming as managemnet, one maximizes staff peroemance bonuses. If one is young, single, and willing to sacrifice a great deal of time its a gratifiying personal experice changing lives, litrerally. But supporting a family as a trainer....nope.
    If not training i.e. starting a clientele, vacation, and sick pay $8.25/hour (MINIMUM WAGE). So plainly, unless one is willing to take a significant pay cut for the time off, these benefits afforded to almost every other profession are non-existent.
    The culture on the surface if high energy and very friendly, to ensure sales a customer satisfation in this highly service oriented business. However, underneath it's an extremely competitive industry, dog eat dog, and lets face it; its business and to really trust anyone is a mistake!! My advice take care of your business, don't worry about what everyone else is doing and take care of one's clients at all cost, because other staff had and will undermine one's business given the chance. You control and are expected to manage one's business, which is a great life lesson.

This advice is for upeer managemnet; when considering sustaining quaity human capital. Pay the staff what they are worth. Paying top quality a max (gross pay of $35.50) @ 40 hrs 23.00/ hr + $2,000 = $5,680/ 160 is absoluty rediculious. After leaving the company to obtain a degree in finance, this is an extremely poor business model. Which is what one learns how to do as a finance major. Breaking down financial analytics and making business consulting advice. To create long-term sustainable training profits, the company should pay their quality staff more than 50% (at maximum) for a service (keeping their facilities open) they provide for members who don't pay for training and never will. The company earns 1/2 of what the trainers work their rear-ends for and the company doesn't pay for education etc. except for everyonce in a while, they'll provide NASM cerifications. For which they have, or did have, agreements with.
    Not taking anything away from NASM, it's a great company and from my experience had/ have been at the fore front of training. Introducing functional training, which now is common place in the industry. Used to train for injury prevention, as post rehad, weight loss, muscle gain, improve sports performance for everyday people to elite sports athletes. One of the most positive moves the company had made to sontribute to the industry.