24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair

Elizabeth Blair

Pros
  • With employment here you get a free gym membership(in 131 reviews)

• Hourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average(in 25 reviews)

• I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up(in 23 reviews)

Front Desk Receptionist

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat place to have communication and interaction with people that enjoy fitness and health. They had good training for each position and they provided several ways to learn.

ConsIt was hard to make process and get promotions to better position with better pay. I worked late at night sometimes and safety was always a concern for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay once individual progress and growth is seen.

Slightly better than being unemployed.

Member Counselor (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsFree gym membership
    Fun co-workers
    Paychecks arrive on time
    Upward mobility if you want to move up in the company

ConsHigh pressure sales good without the commission or bonuses that one would expect.
    Sales/assessment metrics need to be refined.
    Corporate spends all of its efforts trying to get people in the doors by promising them free workouts, its your job to get them to purchase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore squat racks.
    Eliminate the entire position by giving free trials only if you put a credit card on file that will automatically charge if it isn't cancelled before the trial period ends. Like every other company that does free trials.

It was an enjoyable, but minimum wage job.

Service Representative (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsI was grated all time-off that I requested, friendly fun work environment, always seeing new faces, work around school schedule

Consthe job can be confusing at first since there are a lot of new situations, some of the managers don't like helping you out when you need help, like watching the front desk when changing a TV channel for a member, their EFT setup is horrible...if a credit card expires just before the member's payment date it is a horrible mess to fix

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease fix the EFT problem, the rule of changing a card 10 days ahead of the payment date is really a big hassle for members and creates a lot of frustration for both the members and employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on the club

Personal Trainer III (Current Employee)

ProsThe team I work on is great, we're a tight-knit group, and we have fun. My FM cares about my actual training skills.

ConsWhile MY fitness manager cares about my training skills and education level, the company could not care less. All they care about are sales and new business units. They've gotten really stickler-y on non-session hours (2 per week, only), but expect you to somehow bring in all kinds of sales and new business, while trying to be a great trainer. I've actually been told "you're doing really well with time management!" And then, "we need you to bring in new business." In the same 10 minute meeting!

If you enjoy training, and you're good at it, work somewhere else. 24 will only care about the revenue you can provide them, and, if you're good at training, will pressure you into management, even of you're not interested in moving up (because moving up means moving away from actually training people).

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off and let your trainers actually train. At least attempt to hide the money hungry world of corporate. No one wants to feel like an expendable pawn whose only use to make you money.

Lots of work for little pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Membership, fun coworkers, discounts

ConsWhat too much expectations for not enough pay. Management Egos- usually ran by young workers with no management skills. Rude people. Dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your front staff as much as your sales people!

Lots of fun, but you have to be driven to reap the rewards,,,

Membership Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsThe environment is great. Great colleagues (generally speaking). The feeling of success when goals are met is very rewarding. It's just a good time, it least it has been for me. If you show energy and are a high performer it doesn't take long to get noticed and move up the ladder.

ConsIf you don't like sales, you probably don't want to work here in any Membership, Fitness, or Leadership position. It's not necessarily a con if you're on board, but I know many consider this to be a negative. People are pushed to deliver more and more and it's never enough. It's very "What have you done for me lately?" type of feeling.

Pay. Most people are underpaid, particularly the front line team members. Over the last several years cuts in labor have really made the job difficult. We're now expecting much more from our team members and we aren't compensating properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back some form of commissions for sales team members. If we really want to get to a higher level we have to create incentive and reward people, not just give folks a pat on the back. That only goes so far.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work while you are in college.

Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) Stockton, CA (US)

ProsThe atmosphere of the clubs are great and friendly. Coworkers all share the same goals and are very positive and motivating within the employee circle as well as the members. Free membership is a good thing.

ConsHigh turnover rate. Managers and supervisors seem to change very often, leaving you feeling like you're only part of a temporary workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit restructuring your management staff. The bottom line is not as important as maintaining a high employee retention rate with people who want to work there.

24 Hour Fitness is not the place to work if you are looking to make a good paycheck

Personal Trainer III (Former Employee) Aurora, CO (US)

ProsThere is a lot of room to move up the corporate ladder or move laterally and gain experience in the fitness industry. It is an organized environment and you can learn a lot from the experience if you really apply yourself.

ConsIt takes quite a bit of time before you can make a decent paycheck. The company is fine with having most of its employees being low-paid students or entry level workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business model is working as is proven by the success and growth of the company. Individual gyms will stand out only if the "ownership" and "community" values are instilled into each employee by those managing them.

Positive

Service Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you really want to take initiative and be developed, you can learn a lot of great skills with 24 hour fitness. Also dealing with members is awesome and it's nice to deal with people in a fast paced environment. What the company stands for is positive and a nice way to keep the company aligned.

ConsLow compensation, not much support from the cleaning crews in keeping the gym clean, very large job scope and high expectations. Sales is a must even from the service side with absolutely no commission

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better support on a corporate level to help teams be successful, whether that's investing in club leaders in the field, or holding contracted employees accountable more effectively.

Forget it, unless you like being under a bus

Facility Technician (Current Employee)

ProsHourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership.

ConsCulture of blame instead of problem solving, huge corporate upheavals with purchase by new ownership.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwning mistakes does not mean funding one of your subordinates to blame for them.

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!