Aéropostale

Aéropostale Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson

Thomas P. Johnson

Pros:
  • "Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount"
    in 32 reviews
  • "The discount was pretty good, you could combine store discounts with your employee discount"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management did not provide a work life balance"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awful company to work for

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Minot, ND (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for less than a year

ProsWork Life Balance
Bonuses
Discounts
Monthly Employee Sales

ConsWhen $50.00 from sales we had to buy items to reach sales goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Manager did not like me speaking spanish to spanish speaking customers because they would find it offensive even if sales would increase. I was forced to quit by the District and Store Manager, the store manager had occasionally threaten to write me up in numerous times until she found different excuses to write me up. Poor training on the store manager's side. They need to find open minded people and look how beneficial it is to have employees that are bilingual.

Worked at P.S. From Aeropostale for 2 years!

I worked at Aéropostale part-time

ProsDiscount was very good
People I worked with were nice and around my age

ConsPay was horrible only made $7.40 and after two years I was making $7.50
Management was every immature and would talk about employees
Customers were very rude
Hours were nonexistent I only had 4 hrs a week and some people had none they only had on calls , during holiday the most I worked was 15 hrs a week
The company is falling fast , our store would only make $400 in a whole day
Yet management blamed us for that even though no customers would come in
No room for advancement I had 3 managers quit and they would go to justice or Claire's and recruit people from there instead of promoting from within
They give you 100 projects to get done in a 3-4 hr shift which was impossible

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less people and give people who have been there for a while actual hours

Your experience depends entirely on the management at your store.

Cash Wrap Specialist (Former Employee)
North Attleboro, MA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe discount is great, but you will get bullied into making purchases often. If your manager is competent, everyone will get fair hours and you'll get real training and help. Working with a young group of people can be really fun.

ConsSometimes managers are more worried about how you look than whether or not you can do the job, because looking the brand is their way to sell clothes. Hours are unpredictable, and even though you're working a part-time job, managers get upset when you can't come in at whim or need to change your availability. Call-in shifts are a pain, and managers tend to take call-ins at the beginning of the week and then have to cut scheduled shifts on Friday and Saturday when they're over on payroll, but those are their busiest nights. There is a complete lack of training unless you're hired as management. The work environment is toxic, and some managers take out their frustrations on the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to understand that the company value of "Aero Cares" means nothing when they treat their employees terribly. The disconnect from corporate to storeline is why the company is going under.

Fun High School Job

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
Vancouver, WA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

ProsIt was great working here as a teenager because you get to work with a lot of people who are of similar age. Good environment with a schedule that will work with normal school hours. I liked operating in the cashier section the best.

ConsYou have to be a people person, who can smile and be polite to every customer no matter how bad your day is going. Have to learn how to be fast and efficient at folding many different types of clothing. It did not appear that there were many opportunities for promotions, but I do know that some people received pay raises after about a year of working there.

Overall not a bad experience

I worked at Aéropostale part-time

ProsGreat environment and great people

ConsThe signage changes so often it's hard to remember what the prices are for customers. Managers sometimes forget to let you have a break or are short staffed and can't let you take your break until after the crowd thins.

eh

I have been working at Aéropostale

Prosit's a good job for high school students

Conspays terribly, lots of pressure

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany stands behind their values. Pay and benefits are good. Casual work environment. Most people are great.

Cons50+ hours a week. Some of the upper management is unprofessional by talking about others and gossiping. You better get on the band wagon or you are not liked.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional this isn't high school. and don't talk down to people. Listen to other reasoning don't assume everything is an excuse.

An okay job if you really never want to be scheduled..

Hagerstown, MD (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

ProsThe job itself was easy and not very stressful. The discounts were also pretty nice, and the people you get to work with are mostly in your age group, so that's a plus.

ConsDon't ever expect a raise, have fun folding jeans over and over and over again, and be prepared to never get your breaks, even when you are a minor. Also, don't expect to get many hours... ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employees with respect and give them the time on schedule that they deserve.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not amazing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for less than a year

ProsPassionate employees. Potential to move up.

ConsLack of leadership. Poor inventory system and computer systems are slow.

Don't work here unless you really love retail

Joplin, MO (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSpecial half of discounts every month
30% off everything else
Late night or overnight floor sets are fun because you can come to work in your pajamas

ConsMinimum wage
After 3 years working there I finally got a raise...15 cents
You are expected to sell to customers but make no commission
You are expected to wear their clothes and the new ones at that so pretty much you spend your paycheck buying clothes to work...makes no sense
Only time you receive more than 10 hours a week is during the holiday season

Advice to Senior ManagementI would never recommend for anyone to work here unless you really love retail and plan on going into management. The pay is awful and when you do finally get a raise it's like 15 cents which is pretty much a slap in the face. Working weekends sucks and having to spend money to wear their clothes is ridiculous. You are expected to sell to customers without making any commission and it's really annoying to ask for their email and add something on every time you ring someone up. This job made me never want to work in retail ever again.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aéropostale reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson. All 411 reviews are posted anonymously by Aéropostale employees.