Aéropostale Reviews

Updated 30 August 2014
Updated 30 August 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount (in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Best first job

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount is great! 30% off everything and 50% off once a month! The music and vibe is fun, just like hanging out with friends most of the time! The dress code is easy, just in style jeans and a cute top with a layer underneath!

Cons

Holiday and Back to School are the two most stressful times of the year. There are a lot of hours that go into making the store presentable for the next day of business.

Great values

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time

Pros

Great training program and company values

Cons

There are no cons with the company

Keep it up and real

Fun, fast paced, but not enough hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at PS From Aeropostale for almost two years. The work was really easy, just folding shirts and ringing up customers here and there. Try to make friends or get close to the managers if you can because it will help you look forward to coming in for your shift. Moving up in the company can be easy for some people, hard for others. Most of the associates are 16 or 17 year olds but you can't move up to Sales lead until you're 19 and have worked there a year...and of course if the position is open. They do a lot for the community like teens for jeans and give bears to sick children around Christmas. Also they have internal programs for employees like AeroCares, there's a fund that is there to help employees if they are going through something tough.

Cons

The managers get all the hours. Then there's barely left for the associates. You get 4 hour shifts and you only make minimum wage. It's basically enough money to put gas in your car and a couple meals. You are constantly being micromanaged by your store or assistant manager which is extreme since literally all you are doing is folding shirts most of the time. Also shipment is the worst. You will have to sensor boxes on boxes on boxes of shipment while helping customers and ringing and they expect you to do it all in like an hour, not to mention it's soooo boring.

Be more realistic with the amount of time you give an associate to complete a task...not fair to give someone a small amount of time to complete an enormous task especially when they are barely making any money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but not great.

Former Employee - Merch Flow Associate  in  Macon, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Merch Flow Associate in Macon, GA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Community service.
    Discounts.
    Fun coworkers.
    Awesome awards for doing a good job.
    Nice clothes.
    Cool work environment.
    Flexible hours.
    Great place to learn more about retail.
    Opportunities to move up the ladder are good.

Cons

If you work for Areo you will have not have any other life. You become company. In other words your life is all about working for Aero.

Realize that your coworkers have a life outside of Aero and respect that.

Great Business

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Opportunities for people interested in retail career, Promotions come very frequent. Been with company for almost 9 years and is changing for the better and changing with this generation.

Cons

Work Holidays and Weekends (Normal retail things)

A company who cares about it's employees

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, great team of managers, promote from within and fast (I went from sales associate to assistant manager in less than 2 years), great employee discounts

Cons

PAYROLL PAYROLL PAYROLL. they do not give us nearly enough hours to get everything needed to run a successful business. You will work your butt off. Also, having every promo change every week gets really annoying

I believe that Aero has great core values and rewards their employees for hard work. I do believe we should do away with the current promo process and give us more hours to get things done.

Good company to start at, not much for pay growth or changing hours.

Former Employee - Sale Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you work part time while going to school this is a good job. They will generally work around your schedule. I was there for two years while going to college.

Cons

When I first started working there you could change positions every day from being a sale associate to being a greeter and working the fitting rooms. After some time they changed it so you have to be stuck at one thing, ie a greeter always a greeter.

When they put this into effect I was going to school in the day and working the closing shift. After a while I got tired of it and changed my school schedule to later hours in hope of them putting my in the early shift instead of closing. Since you are not set in a position there is not much room to move out of it.

The raises are not worth it. The max raise you could get is 30 cents a year. They started me off at $8.25 and after two years I was only making $8.75. If I went to another company like Uniqlo I could have STARTED at a higher pay than that.

Increase raises, especially got good workers.

Really depends on who you work with.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on who you worked with and who the team was composed of, it could be a good job.
    Not much is expected of you - just basic retail practices.
    Discount is very generous, 50% off on a limited amount of merchandise, an "accelerated discount" and 30% off all the time.
    Hours are very flexible, if you are asking for more time to be taken off or a more specific schedule, it is very easy to do so. Asking for more unreasonable hours or taking extended periods of time off isn't too much of a big deal - simply talk to the general manager or the manager who is in charge of the schedule.

Cons

Leadership was very irresponsible. Never really did anything for the team, had one manager on her phone scrolling through reddit every shift while eating chips.
    Customers are extremely ridiculous and demanding for a store that has so many options.
    High turn-over rate, employing tons of staff at a time then firing them once the need for lots of staff had declined.
    "On-call" shifts that were never used were very annoying. You would call in, be told that they don't need you, then an hour into the on-call shift, you would be called in. Make up your mind.
    A majority of the people you work with are high school kids, which fits the clientele of the store - teenagers, but at times it can be very cliquey.

Learn to actually behave like management - not someone who is simply there because the store requires a manager to be present. Have a positive vibe at work instead of constantly complaining and pointing fingers at staff for things that you are responsible for.
    Stop hiring so many people - give your staff more shifts or longer shifts, not "on-calls" that never actually get confirmed or 4 hour shifts that are used solely for cashwrap or greeting.

A once great company, gone bad

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Once was a company focused on the customers as well as the employees. The original group when a private company were amazing. The passion for the company and its employees was one of a kind.

Cons

Loss of classic, conservative look for teens was a downfall. High turn over due to poor choices in hiring. Loss of caring about employees and any kind of quality of life. Low pay.

Company values were discussed, however not supported. Greed and decete are not qualities most people are looking for in a work place.

Don't even bother

Current Employee - Aero Ambassador  in  Merrimack, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Aero Ambassador in Merrimack, NH (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

-The discount comes in handy
    -The customers are friendly for the most part
    -I can see all of the new merchandise and decide what I want when it goes on sale

Cons

-The managers get all of the hours
    -They change my schedule without telling me and then I get yelled at for not being able to cover the shift or get the shift covered
    -Its a good first job for teenagers, but managers take advantage of that being your first job
    -I had to go out and get another job because I wasn't getting more than 8 hours a week
    -Minimum wage
    -Managers don't help clean the store up at closing, and go out back and eat food
    -Employees usually leave the company within 2 months of being hired
    -The schedule is copy and pasted onto the next week
    -Schedules are usually done extremely late

-We need raises
    -We should be able to pick our managers, because ours is rude, but our assistant manager is amazing
    -You need to check on managers in the store more often. They usually just walk around texting while the employees do all of the work in the store.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!