Aéropostale

Updated 21 November 2014
3.1

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 41 reviews)

• Aero also gives employees a great discount (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I've worked with several girls who have been in Sales for YEARS and still get paid minimum wage (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

Great training programs for management, excellent leadership (DM/RM/corp partners) ability to grow and move up in the company, fun atmosphere, and great tools to help make daily goals.

Cons

The peak seasons could've been supported better with payroll hours. Training part time associates would cut into your floor coverage, making it difficult to train during the peak seasons.

The stores need more hours to help support the daily tasks so that it doesn't interfere with floor coverage, hindering the customer experience we are trying to deliver. This would also ease the stress of the management team, less turn-over. Every store runs completely different so not all stores need the same amount of hours. Give your part-time employees raises, it's difficult to keep great talent when they are stuck at minimum wage every year.

Worked at P.S. from Aeropostale. (Children's Aeropostale)

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Merchandise Flow Associate in Coral Springs, FL (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked here for a year and 6 months. I absolutely LOVED the job itself. The interview was friendly, the training process was fun, and the whole staff is amazing. I was so sad to leave it!

-I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this job.
    -Flexible scheduling
    -fun, upbeat environment
    -there's a lot you can learn from working here

Cons

-Pays minimum wage ($7.93)

-No raises are given to associates. And if there are, they're done yearly. And usually only 13 or 15 cents.

-You cannot be promoted to a sales lead (or anything else) unless you are at least 21 years old. This was a big problem for me, because I had worked for the company for a long time. Multiple managers told me I deserved to be promoted, but the company denied it each time because I'm only 19 years old.

-There aren't a whole lot of hours to be given. When I first started I was getting scheduled 3-6 hours per week. (But once they know you're good they will schedule you more.) By the time I left I was regularly working 12-15 hours during the school year, and 15-38 during the summer time (and during the Holiday season).

-You will work with mostly teenagers. All the associates are usually 16-18 and they have no prior work experience. Aeropostale likes to hire all teenagers so they can pay them minimum wage.

-Have a few less employees on staff so your hard working employees can have a few more hours.

-Have evaluations for raises! Every 6 months or yearly. I worked here for almost 2 years and was never evaluated.

-Don't be so strict about the age limit for sales leads. I believe that if you have an employee that has worked for you for 2 years, has NEVER called out sick, works hard, and deserves the job, they should be seriously considered.
         I had multiple managers tell me that I was more then qualified for the position, but could not be promoted because I was one year younger than required for the position. I had managers tell me that i was the best sales associate they had ever worked with.
         I worked hard, and got almost nothing in return. You lost an excellent employee because of this rule.

Great environment!

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

What you put into the job is what you will get out of it! If you are willing and able to work a ton of hours, you will move up in the company. Aero offers great benefits and career development programs. DM's & RM's are amazing to work for. They will go out of their way to help you succeed!

Cons

There is no life-work balance, especially if you want to move up in the company. It's retail, you have to work nights & weekends but you do get one weekend off a month!

Excellent opportunity

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gives you a lot of responsibility to run the store, but corporate also takes responsibility for things that may go wrong, instead of blaming issues on the storeline employees. Truly a team effort! There is always something new and exciting going on, so it never gets boring. As store manager, you can really set the tone for your store, so you have the power to make changes to get the environment that will get the results. The company also invests in your training through a career development program, workshops, and quarterly management meetings. There is also an incentive trip to Florida every year for the top 100 store managers (based on a points system). The bonus plan is also pretty great!

Cons

Hiring can be difficult, as well as getting employees bought into the business so they want to work with you toward store goals. Going through a transition can be exhausting while you are trying to set the expectation. It is very easy to burn yourself out when getting carried away with all that can be done.

Keep focusing on our areas of opportunity, and helping us get new people into the store. Make sure not to get away from what brought employees to Aero which is the awesome culture of teamwork, respect, integrity, and compassion!

Inefficiencies and Fellow Employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Best coworkers I've ever had.
    -Friendly management.
    -Motivated hardworking staff.
    -Work well with my university upper-level studies and my second job schedule.

Cons

-resource wastefulness (excess plastic and coupons)
    -inefficient supply (receiving large amounts of product that isn't selling versus product that sells well (sales are too predictive) and too much of a particular size for example 15 small light hoodies is not an efficient distribution of sizes)
    -too long to receive a raise above minimum wage

Streamline supply efficiency, maybe provide a forum for store manager feedback to fix potential ineffiencies that are costing the company money.

Not the best pay but fabulous hours

Current Employee - ELS and Fashion Specialist
    Current Employee - ELS and Fashion Specialist

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great hours
    -Get to work with great people
    -Clothes are actually awesome since relaunch
    -Room for advancement
    -Fabulous employee discount! (More if you are an ambassador)
    -In my case a very comfortable store

Cons

-Hours can be low if you don't have great availability
    -Lonnng shifts if you arent used to them they can be a killer
    -Inter-coworker drama is never-ending
    -You are kept verrry busy

Commissions!

Great employers and customers, the interview process was cool and easy. All I did was talk about past achievements.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, CA (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great work life balance people are easy to get along with and they are flexible.

Cons

They expect you to come in early to help on special days but it isn't that bad

Third Key Manager

Former Employee - Aeropostale in Christiansburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Aeropostale in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Environment
    Good Pay For Part-time
    Great Management

Cons

The basic retail cons.
    Dealing with a younger work base.

Build the brand better. Reach out more to employ's to find that out.

Good part time job

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, nice people, friendly management

Cons

Loud music, chaos in the store

Ups and downs.

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Upbeat energetic teams. Fun to work with at a store line level. Good discount.

Cons

Nothing is ever good enough mentality.

Aéropostale Photos