Aéropostale

Aéropostale Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson

Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount(in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage(in 21 reviews)

Ehh

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Chesterfield, MI (US)

ProsEveryone is so nice and helpful. They are also understanding about just about everything.

ConsPay- after working there for 3 years I've only received a $0.10 raise

Sales Assoicate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat and fun people! Not a difficult job.

ConsYou do not get any hours. If you want $$$ don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more hours.

Pretty good for a first job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsNice management, decent training great discount

ConsLittle to no hours when you first start

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us some regular hours and we. Will be happier

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overall, great company

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThere is always something to do. Merchandising opportunities help train and develop the visual eye. District Managers are always ready to assistant all members of management.

Conslow payroll makes the amount of tasks burdensome. Many marketing/ promotional changes and constantly changing business strategies complicate and impede the goal of one clear business direction. Opportunities to advance past assistant and store management are very scarce.

Advice to Senior Managementwith few opportunities for promotion, management needs to be rewarded more on how hard they work and how flexible they are. would love to see more attention and care put towards personal growth

It's been a major learning experience.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe store teams are just that: teams. Store managers have the ability to recruit for their own store teams and our training guidelines are updated with the current trends in the retail industry. Managers have the ability to be creative with visuals and merchandising while maintaining standards set forth by the company. It gets very busy during the back-to-school and holiday seasons which means more sales and longer hours, but we are constantly told how much we are appreciated by upper management. Enjoy great discount, bonus incentives, company contests, paid vacation, and employee recognition programs.

ConsConstantly changing communications from corporate, sometimes unclear with the direction. Task load is heavy and varies with little payroll. Not much advancement once you are at Assistant and Store manager level.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more clear on company direction. Someone should proof read the communications that come through to stores.

Pretty average work place

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsDiscounts
    Easy Work
    Fun enviornment

ConsCall in shift-were you call in an hour before your shift so you can't really plan anything.
    Few hours
    Such short shifts you don't really get to know your fellow co workers
    Black Friday

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize team members and challenge them.

Horirble

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Independence, MO (US)

Prosselling is fun, and people love the deals so it's easy and peronsble

Consthe managers are an absolute pain to work with, attitudes and unwilling to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't love your job, quit. No one should suffer for your unhappiness.

First Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI got to meet a lot of cool, amazing people that worked with me.
    For a first job it was really good pay at the time.
    Discount was cool too.
    Great introduction to the industry and retail.
    Good experience

ConsTerrible work scheduling. Shifts would get cut or extended out of no where. The store would close at 10, sometimes the employees wouldn't go home till 12-1am. This was horrible I had an hour subway ride home at 12-1am! The managers didn't care!
    The managers kept changing, and the rules kept changing, and the expectations only grew. I never got a pay increase 6 plus months I worked there !

Advice to Senior ManagementClose on time! People have lives and need to get home!

A great idea thrust upon a sinking ship.

Role Model (Former Employee) Parkersburg, WV (US)

ProsGreat style and merchandise, competitive prices, better variety in recent years than in its inception.

ConsThe deals are too frequent and too shortsighted, which causes the business to lose more money than it makes. Also, we the employees are being asked to provide free advertising for the company - off the clock - on our own time under penalty or humiliation if we do not comply.

You have to take the bad with the good

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount here is very hard to beat, especially if you take advantage of the clearance rack. I have bought really great basics for $2 or less. Most of my coworkers were really energetic and great to work with. They made working there fun, and made the shifts go by quickly. Although I disliked most of my managers, there were a few that were really fantastic. They were supportive and really cared. Store standards were kept at a good level and it was not difficult to get on board and learn the ropes. If you are looking for a first time retail job in high school or want a part-time job in college, I would consider Aero because they really encourage a young, fun ambiance. If you are older, consider a retail store that caters to adults.

ConsThis sounds like every other retail con review but management was a nightmare. The store manager was unprofessional and talked about inappropriate things like her love life. But if you wanted hours or to have a good shift, you had to smile and listen. Although I had a BA and applied as an assistant manager position, I was hired first as a sales associate (so I could learn the ropes before becoming manager) but then was passed over for someone who the store manager was close to. Later I found out that the store manager and that particular employee had a personal relationship before I had gotten there. There were other, great candidates as well, people who had been working there for years, but they were passed over as well. There was drama in the back, with managers crying or yelling at times. I knew this place did not fit with my working lifestyle but I stayed because I was having a hard time finding another job due to the recession. Aero gave me more hours than my last retail job. I left after I found a full time position in a school.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider workers for promotions who are consistent and hard working. Do not solely rely on your store manager's opinions. Regional managers, please do more to pay attention to what is going on in your stores. Be professional and do not play favorites.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!