Aéropostale Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014
Updated 27 August 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount (in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

overall, great company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is always something to do. Merchandising opportunities help train and develop the visual eye. District Managers are always ready to assistant all members of management.

Cons

low payroll makes the amount of tasks burdensome. Many marketing/ promotional changes and constantly changing business strategies complicate and impede the goal of one clear business direction. Opportunities to advance past assistant and store management are very scarce.

with few opportunities for promotion, management needs to be rewarded more on how hard they work and how flexible they are. would love to see more attention and care put towards personal growth

Worst Company To Work For

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible if you're in school or in entertainment

Cons

No hours (the company is broke as hell and irrelevant), no room for advancement the employees and managers act like they're in high school: cliquish, unfriendly, gossip, superficial, and the list goes on.

Pay your employees more than minimum wage, make better clothes, discourage high school behavior, and treat customers better, you suck

Good for seasonal work ONLY

Former Employee - Seasonal Worker  in  Wayne, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Worker in Wayne, NJ (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

pretty relaxed, fun coworkers and lax enviroment

Cons

horrid hours USUALLY, some part time workers could not get enough hours, seem to just have had them there in case they were needed but not as bad as gamestop!

not much, im sure managers have very little say in how things are actually run

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cool for a first time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Sunrise, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sunrise, FL (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Met some really cool people. You make tons of friends working here. The environment is fun & friendly. The music is okay, but could use some diversity. Managers were really cool as well.

Cons

Hours are HORRIBLE. Sometimes I would be assigned 0 hours for the week, or the entire pay period, no matter how hard I worked. The pay is extremely low to not get any hours. In a way it’s almost as if it was a way to frustrate you out of the company. Most of the customers didn’t speak English as well, mostly Spanish and Portuguese. I learned to adapt though. The dress code is extremely strict as well. It was aggravating how many times I was told that something was wrong with my outfit, as basic as I tried to dress for work.

Most of the managers that I worked with left a little while after I did. But the managers were extremely cool, and their was no favoritism that went on in the store between managers and sales associates.

Worse experience of my career.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for less than a year

Pros

What interested me at first with this company is the Career Development Plan they start with all new managers. About 70% of store managers with the company have been promoted from within.

Cons

I was recruited to Aeropostale with false promises. I want to educate everyone so they do not make the same mistake as I did. After you work 40 hrs a week, you receive "half time". Instead of time and a half pay, they actually CUT your hourly wage in half. They require you to work 45 to 50 hours a week during holiday season, but will not pay you your full salary. This is a struggling company and in my opinion, will be dissolved in the near future.

You're relaunching the company, now's the time to get your associates and managers up to date. Workshops and classes would be beneficial. Provide a better work-life balance, and provide better compensation. You get better and more reliable part-time associates with competitive pay as opposed to minimum wage.

Don't Work Here!

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was above minimum wage at the time. (2012)
    Friendly co-workers
    Great Customers
    Got to meet people from all over the work

Cons

Horrible Management.
    Managers were often rude and nasty.
    Worked overtime with out overtime pay or breaks
    Given tasks that had nothing to do with job like pick up cigarettes for managers.
    Would cut off all hours and never let you know your job is terminated.
    It's been two years and I haven't had any hours and the never said I was fire.

Managers are actually the ones who need training. At least notify an employee if they have been fire don't cut off their hours and delete their employee account without notification.

It's been a major learning experience.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The store teams are just that: teams. Store managers have the ability to recruit for their own store teams and our training guidelines are updated with the current trends in the retail industry. Managers have the ability to be creative with visuals and merchandising while maintaining standards set forth by the company. It gets very busy during the back-to-school and holiday seasons which means more sales and longer hours, but we are constantly told how much we are appreciated by upper management. Enjoy great discount, bonus incentives, company contests, paid vacation, and employee recognition programs.

Cons

Constantly changing communications from corporate, sometimes unclear with the direction. Task load is heavy and varies with little payroll. Not much advancement once you are at Assistant and Store manager level.

Need to be more clear on company direction. Someone should proof read the communications that come through to stores.

So much work, so little time allowed!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Ogden, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Ogden, UT (US)

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talking with customers and training employees.

Cons

Not enough time to do what was needed to succeed. Held responsible when store is slow and sales are down.

Allow a little more time for employees so we can get stuff done.

Pretty average work place

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts
    Easy Work
    Fun enviornment

Cons

Call in shift-were you call in an hour before your shift so you can't really plan anything.
    Few hours
    Such short shifts you don't really get to know your fellow co workers
    Black Friday

recognize team members and challenge them.

Horirble

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Independence, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Independence, MO (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

selling is fun, and people love the deals so it's easy and peronsble

Cons

the managers are an absolute pain to work with, attitudes and unwilling to help.

If you don't love your job, quit. No one should suffer for your unhappiness.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!