AECOM

AECOM Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally(in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees(in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year(in 44 reviews)

A job is a job, right?

Graduate Structural Engineer (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsYou can get projects all over the world, it is relatively easy to transfer from one office to another - even across countries (except to America from anywhere else).

ConsPeople always are complaining that their pay should be more - especially when comparing to what other companies offer. The senior management use the excuse of "you get to work on high profile projects and it is great experience for you" when they are challenged by the pay issue - as if that pays for our holidays?!

Advice to Senior ManagementLess concealment behind typical management lingo and more honesty, then subsequently action on the issues the employees offer.

Dissapointing

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Albans, England

ProsGood maternity/ Paternity policies and some other benefits are good. As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects.

ConsThe business has been struggling over the last few years and has not managed change and integration of other businesses well. Below inflation pay rises and an overall poor benefits package (which has worsened during the downturn) do not help. No company wide programme for development and promotion of staff. No effective training.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your ship in order. Stop talking about change and do it, there are too many managers being paid too much to lose major bids while lower grades have no view on where their careers are taking them within AECOM. It is not enough to only take action after the horse has bolted.

Walk the talk

ProsStill some good people. Great systems and processes. Have some massive clients. There isn't much else that is keeping me there.

ConsOver-managed from the US, local management have no real authority, fee earning staff spend far too much time dealing with internal bureacracy and too little time with clients. The company's values trumpet people, but few of the staff really believe what they are told. Good place for graduates to get experience, but not so great for people looking to advance post-qualification.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Bristol, England

ProsLarge company
    Lots of opportunities and diversity of projects

ConsAmerican company culture forced upon UK company which used to be Faber Mansell and have nice feel

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep some feel of being independent of US and not completely homogenised

Really enjoy working for AECOM, lots of great projects to work on!

ProsGlobal company, good people, great projects

ConsSometimes decisions take too long

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up processes

Great!

Summer Placement Student (Current Employee) Birmingham, England

ProsA lot of responsibilities and great people to work with. Friendly environment and everyone is keen on helping you getting chartered

ConsNothing I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the improvement of the graduate scheme, keep it up I'd say!

Excellent Building Engineering Experience

Building Engineering Vacation Student (Former Employee) Saint Albans, England

ProsGreat company with a number of prestigious projects to work on. Very talented and friendly staff to work with and learn from. They are also supportive of career aspirations and offer great development opportunities.

ConsOpportunities to go on site are few and far between during the summer so for those engineers seeking site experience I would recommend look elsewhere.

Hard work, little gain. No attempt to keep top talent, whilst senior management cream the few rewards

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Albans, England

ProsUsed to be full of good people. Some very technically good engineers. Legacy companies were great to work for. You get to go home eventually once work as finished.

ConsDreadful, below market pay. Head in the sand senior management approach. Exploitative of staff. No idea of how to make the company great. Very unthankful culture, leading to demotivation of staff. Exodus of best staff with inability to recruit talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on delivery and providing what the client is paying for. Appreciate your staff more, as they are your greatest asset. Take your head out of the sand and listen to what your employees are saying. React accordingly rather than the unbelievable arrogance displayed. Pay rises are usually a good idea to keep staff motivated, and would be good if staff other than senior management actually saw a bonus. John D managed to pocket a ridiculous salary whilst the majority of staff in the uk havent seen a payrise for 4 years. Does this sound like a place you want to work? Maybe the senior management should use 360 ingenuity to see further, to go further (if that last sentence makes no sense to you, you arent on the AECOM gravy train)

excellent company

Engineergineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood procedure with regard to company system. Aecom looks after their staff by paying well and lots of benefits.

ConsAs Aecom is a big company with lots of employees, it is difficult to communicate well

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more with junior employees

Not the best possible Employer

Associate Director (Current Employee) Leeds, England

ProsBig company with global opportunities

ConsBig company with an oppressive bureaucracy. Does not really care about the staff, although it feels like the management may have a read a book about it at some time in the same way that a farmer might read a book about how to increase milk yields.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most important people, in order of importance: The Clients; the people who look after the Clients; Everyone else.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!