AIG

AIG Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

AIG President & CEO Robert Benmosche

Robert Benmosche

Pros:
  • "Good working hours, good work life balance if you are working in a good department"
    in 32 reviews
  • "has a work from home program that enables employees to work from the comfort of their own home"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "opinions/suggestions are not easy to get pass to senior management team"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Long hours - No work life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Retrospectives

Underwriter (Former Employee)

I worked at AIG full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent product range, unbeatable operational footprint and global reach, it should not fail.

ConsEgo strokers in positions without necessary skills; middle management that
subcontract work out incapable of doing it themselves is not cost effective. Better qualified, or proven staff often overlooked by a week empire building manager leading to loss of key productive staff. Systems that for eons do not work....should not be, or ever have been tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne off review of skill sets for each employee at underwriter, sales, accounts etc upward grade. Vetting by a third party or another country management of promotions to ensure deserved. . Top down review of systems; penalties to be imposed for repeat & gross incompetent choices.

Crisis brought the people together. Good team work and direction ahead

Senior Auditor (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at AIG full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly people
Decentralised environment. Not too bureaucratic for institutions of same size

ConsBrand tarnished due to crisis. Many re branding efforts.
Employee morale was low but improving with better directions

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove employee morale

Long hours and understaffed

London, England

I worked at AIG full-time for more than a year

ProsRecognizable name to add to the resume

ConsLong hours
Understaffed
Poor internal communication with employees

Brutal politics and turf wars.

I worked at AIG

ProsVery diversified. Very multicultural and staff a pleasure to work with.

ConsHorrible middle management that lies and cheats just to get to the next day. These people almost never get fired and will never leave because this is the best that they will ever get. Complete chaos at meetings and a lack of desire for best practices. Brutal politics and turf wars. Too many managers for too little staff. 4 or 5 managers for one staff. Way too top-heavy. Lousy middle management drives out all of the good people and all you are left with are foreign-born talent tied to the company via work permit or Brits who can not get a better job anywhere else. Average employee tenure is ~10 months; annual turnover rate is deep into the double digit % area.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting your friends in managerial positions- your friends who are incompetent. Reward people who work very hard for you and promote people on merit.

Growing Pains May Last a While

I have been working at AIG full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood place to learn. The company is committed to modernization and there are some very interesting projects.

ConsNot everywhere a happy ship. In my area it is very hierarchical and a state of constant flux. You must be able to manage chaos. Can be difficult to "own" anything due to competing matrix owners and micro-managers. Be careful in what you ask or suggest....

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid over-engineering things, AIGFP failed for a reason. Also, might be some lessons to learn from Circuit City. Finally, sometimes one size fits no-one.

Great underwriters & underwriting management & claims.

Underwriting Management (Former Employee)

I worked at AIG full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat P&L managers, 5 stars had the non profit center management been at all of use.

ConsToo many cost center managers of little skill have ear of senior management.

Far too many & unnecessary initiatives, these distract employees from production & profit matters.

Too little use of technical experienced staff in trtaining new staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIneffective managers in cost center & sales distract from better talent in Profit Centers. Keep top performers by making PC managers the next level of management to Senior Management, thus demoting the others.

learning experience

Professional - Support Role (Former Employee)

I worked at AIG

Prosgood learning experience in the sector, lots of training, challenging interesting work

Consmicro-managing, hierarchical, lack openess, old fashioned culture

Advice to Senior Managementinvolve employee more, do not just feed already made decision downwards

very hierarchial, bureaucratic, non-merit based

Croydon, England

I worked at AIG

Prossalaries good, location,benefits,good for laid back people

Consvery political , extreme networking required to get ahead, no vision

Not Your Father's AIG...........

New York, NY (US)

I worked at AIG full-time for more than 10 years

ProsUsed to be the pension and job security, but both of those are gone now.

ConsNever recovered from near collapse in 2007. Totally changed focus and strategy that made it a world class operation and leader in the insurance industry. Ability to "do the deal" is gone. No looking for ways to write business, but more about trying to re-write the business and becoming just like everyone else. Do not care about the employees at all. Many unhappy people over there. Layoffs have been rampant for years, just done quietly as they were under the federal bail out and that wouldn't have looked good in the papers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to squeeze every nickel out of the place - mostly at the employees expense and trying to run it like a life insurance company. Bring back the entrepreneurial spirit that made the place great - seemingly a long time ago. Market leadership is declining fast.

Fair and reasonable but unhappy as contract worker.

Claims Examiner (Current Employee)

I have been working at AIG as a contractor

ProsI would like the benefits and paid time off. Good philosophy for customer service. Flexible work schedules and work life balance is okay.

ConsIt is an American company and they appear pulling jobs into the US or sending them to India. Some departments are over using contract workers.

Worked for AIG? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AIG reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for AIG CEO Robert Benmosche. All 507 reviews are posted anonymously by AIG employees.