AKQA

www.akqa.com

AKQA Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Ajaz Ahmed

Pros
  • You'll get to work on some massive clients and work with some great people(in 16 reviews)

• Lots of great clients, good budget and wonderful people to work with(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I know some other departments have a much less favorable work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• Long hours (9am until 9pm and one day at weekends not uncommon)(in 19 reviews)

fast-paced and inspirational

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIf you want to work with some of best clients around on some truly innovative and inspirational projects, this is the place for you.

ConsIf you want a life outside of work, or a sensible hourly wage once you take into account overtime, look elsewhere...

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more.

CV booster but...

Creative (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- Projects
    - Brands you work with
    - Colleagues

Cons- No fair wages
    - Poor senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your people or it will be really hard to restore their confidence

A company at the top of its game. Work hard, play hard. It's a journey.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsYou will work with some of the best talent in the industry. It's inspiring to work alongside these people. I've been in meetings and the level of expertise and thinking is exceptional.
    If you want to travel to work in other offices you can. I've had the chance to travel the world with AKQA.
    Variety; one day you'll be brainstorming the future for a top automotive client. The next day you might be figuring out how a new technology is relevant for retail.
    Very very client focused, you work closely with them nearly everyday.
    Good culture, lots of cool people, work hard and play hard.
    I've learnt more at AKQA than anywhere else in my whole career.

ConsAny journey worth taking is never easy. If you want a job where you sit back and watch the day go by then AKQA isn't for you.
    If you want to get stuck in, be part of the team and contribute then it is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more company wide events for staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood opportunities abroad, high calibre clients, good people to work with

ConsLong hours, tend to pay staff less than industry standard, not very transparent about salaries or how to get promoted.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Very unpleasant people to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice looking office, good location

ConsRacist, bigoted, egotistical staff, watch you back

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Great work and people, poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCreative work at AQKA is top-notch, and for the most part the people are great. The work is especially rewarding if you're interested in the brands you're working with.

ConsMost of the management is awful, almost all project managers are incompetent and the worst tend to rise to the top through political cunning.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to do your job, or go elsewhere.

Great technically but not so great management

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) London, England

ProsFast paced, cutting edge work. Smart and creative people. Plenty of chances to go forward

ConsManagement seems poor at many levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and focus on your people

Rollercoaster

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGet to work on some great client projects and most of the folks you work with will be great at their job. If you put in the effort you will generally be rewarded.

ConsMiddle management - PMs and TDMs can be hit or miss. Some are great others you wonder how the hell they have a job in the industry. This means you'll either have a great experience on a project or just be wishing to work on another team. Also promotions seem to be handed out to whoever does the most overtime not the people with the talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork smarter not longer.

Great variety of work, but an immature environment and no career progression

(Former Employee) London, England

ProsThe work is usually varied, and projects are beautiful and innovative. Wonderful offices, very friendly colleagues, culture of politeness, good equipment, central location surrounded by bars/cafes, travel opportunities.

ConsEvery project is a ground-up restart with few lessons shared or work re-used. The pay is uncompetitive compared to other industry roles, and hiring is done more on cultural fit than skill. Getting development support is hard. Managers are great at their day jobs, but poor at managing people and their development. It's easy to feel overlooked and interchangeable. There's a rule on 'no promotions or pay-rises within a year of joining', regardless of performance. There's a rigid career ladder and there's no scope to carve out new roles - skills outside the narrow job spec will not be recognised or used.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease develop your senior managers. Many are incumbents who aren't that effective. Many manage by giving a 'thumbs up' to initiatives from their teams, but won't support initiatives and can't make things happen. The founder's monthly hyperbole-and-air emails make staff roll their eyes, and set a bad precedent for the VPs, who attempt to do the same and just look disconnected.

good company, hard clients to work for, very rewarding

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- great experience
    - never boring
    - challenging
    - only the best work there

Cons- clients can be over demanding
    - work life balance can be difficult to balance

Worked for AKQA? Contribute to the Community!