ALDI
www.aldi.com Essen, Germany 500 to 999 Employees

ALDI Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
ALDI – Newark – “Outside an Aldi store in Newark, Ohio (Photo…”

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros:
  • "Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance for a Manager is almost non-existent"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love it, and have for 8 years!

Sheffield, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSalary, the way the business operates, the daily challenges along with the freedom to decide how best to solve them.

Honest black and white expectations. Deliver as asked and opportunities are there for all.

The knowledge of very strong job security.

Busy event filled days, every day! No time to be bored!

ConsAbsolutely none (how do I write 20 words about this when I have no cons to discuss?)

Absolutely none

None

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, the future looks good!!

Great company to work for

I have been working at ALDI part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexibility, pay, working with great people.

ConsNo perks, no full time contracts, elitism.

good company to work for

Liverpool, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 8 years

Prosfair, honest, no rubbish management speak. Business is booming so its a really exciting time to be working for Aldi

Consstores are not big enough for the sales we are experiencing

A few months After the interview

I have been working at ALDI

ProsI have a slightly bigger pay than I was used to before and it beats being out of work in this day and age

ConsI had several other opportunities to work at other companies and I wish I'd have chosen them as I think I'd have gotten more satisfaction out of the job. If you have a few opportunities on the table take anything but assistant manager for aldi, sometimes I stop late and have early starts - so I may as well be on minimum wage rate

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't feel like a manager, I'm always emptying boxes and stacking shelves

bad company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Prosthe money is good but that's about it

Cons70 hour weeks!!! don't expect to do anything less. expect to only sleep 5 hours max a night and you wont get an 11 hour rest period

Unpaid Overtime and told not to make plans for a home life!

Customer Assistant (Former Employee)
Stoke-on-Trent, England

I worked at ALDI full-time for less than a year

ProsI cant think of any

ConsBack breaking work if you are petite, Never finish your shift on time and expected to stay over to finish jobs that are given with unrealistic timescales and with no pay! I was told to make any plans for my home life incase they needed me to stay over after my shift

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to retrain and actually apply common sense to situations. Aldi staff are entitled to a life outside of work and need a work / home life balance and certainly should be paid to stay any longer than their given shift, slavery was abolished a long time ago!

work a lot, pay a lot, still expect more

Nottingham, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time for more than 8 years

Prospay well, good career prospects up to store manager.

ConsThe whole infrastructure has not kept up with the upsurge in sales. Very Area management expect managers to work well in excess of their contracted hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide if they are a discounter or a main stream supermarket. Sort out recruitment issues.

Really enjoyed my time with Aldi

Store Assistant (Former Employee)
Cardigan, Wales

I worked at ALDI full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, nice hours, great co-workers, great management!

If you do as asked and contribute to team Aldi has a lot to offer. It's very team work orientated and if you help out your co-workers and vise versa everything works as it should. Weak links are quickly pointed out though they do compensate for new starters by having an extra team member on for a week or so cut pick up the slack.

The pay is ok, but you do work hard for it. Shifts are usually 6,8 and 10 hours starting from 6am on an early shift or until 9pm on a late.

Days consist of working working deliveries (main, bread, chiller, freezer and produce) produce can be hard work at 6am let me tell you! Working on till which is like nothing else. You scan as quick as you can for hours on end whilst remember fruit, veg and various other product numbers. It's easier than it sounds as you pick up the numbers quickly on the job. Then there's carding which is basically tipping out what left in boxes and rearranging the shelves and putting the card in the compactor. Then there cleaning up on the late shift.

Providing you show your worth on the shop floor you will find your self on the tills less.

Contract was 20hrs minimum but I usually averaged 30-35 per week. You got one Saturday, one Sunday, one whole weekend, and worked one whole weekend per month plus days off in the week. No complaints.

ConsThe main point here is that you work HARD for your money. If you're lazy, like the odd skive, fancy a quick smoke...Forgot it, you will not last a week.

It's physically demanding, expect to lift heavy loads throughout the day. If you're ok with this you'll be fine.

Sometimes finishing on time proves tricky. I'm unsure why this is but it annoyed me on a few occasions.

The first area manager we had was great, a people person yet still professional. The last one we had (they seem to change often) was a miserable and rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf staff finish their shift at a certain time, they should be out of the door at that time. Apart from that keep up the good work!

Love the job, love the salary, NEVER a boring part of the day.

Deputy Manager (Current Employee)
Brighton, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced, massive career opportunities, great pay and holidays. I've been working for Aldi for 12 months and I have been made a deputy manager after expressing my interest in becoming a manager. I am now hoping to get an assistant manager position in the next 12 months. The money is fantastic and so is the job. Honestly haven't got a bad word to say about the company.

ConsI haven't got a single 'con' to write, the company is the best I've worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere isn't a word of advice I could give to upper management. They are as committed and the store management and staff

fast paced, hard work - good pay

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Liverpool, England

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood rate of pay, holidays,

ConsLong hours that come with retail

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ALDI reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for ALDI CEO Hartmuth Wiesemann. All 383 reviews are posted anonymously by ALDI employees.