ALDI

Updated 15 December 2014
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Varied...

Current Employee - Apprentice
    Current Employee - Apprentice

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, good apprenticeship scheme (in theory), the days usually fly by, you don't need a gym membership!

Cons

The pay keeps you there, they work you incredibly hard (sometimes you wonder if anyone had met their time scales!) Very physically exhausting but you adapt, just very hard to get used to in general

I really love our management team as they're incredibly flexible, however other stores can have a very different reputation and can struggle to even keep staff a few weeks

The worst I have ever been treated in my life.

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at ALDI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good wages compared to other retailers.
    The store is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
    People I work with are nice, excluding managers.

Cons

As a Store Assistant, formerly a Stock Assistant, I can honestly say from my experience from these two positions that working for this company is the worst I have ever been treated in my life. I am expected to lift heavy objects from great heights, above my head height, and if I complain, I'm looked down on or guilt tripped with the "this is a team and we all have to pull our weight" speech, despite it being against health and safety regulations. My sleeping pattern has completely messed up with the 6AM starts one day and not starting until 2PM the next and working on until 3AM the next morning. The management tend to look down on people who are new starts or younger employees such as myself, especially if you're in some form of education as they seem to think that I must think I'm better than them for studying at college and only working part-time. I have been made to stay on past my finishing time almost every shift that I'm on without being asked, and if I ask to leave most times they point-blank refuse to let me go "until all of the jobs are done" and I'm not being paid for it. So this means I have no social life whatsoever and finding time to study has become increasingly difficult as I am tired all the time from work. I'm usually asked to pick up the slack for other people that haven't finished their tasks, and managers seem to have no qualms about patronizing and bullying you into it when you try and object. Despite complaining to my Store Manager about how I'm treated, nothing is being done about this. As someone who suffers from Anxiety Disorder, this has wreaked havoc on my mental well-being, and I'm currently applying for a new job after working for the company for almost 2 years.

Store managers/assistant store managers stop asking staff to do difficult jobs in impossible amounts of time. Comply with health and safety by making sure pallets are safe to work before telling staff to work them, don't ask the person that's under 5'2'' to work the 8ft high bread order.
    Area managers start taking an interest in what is going on around the store rather than just the store productivity. Ask employees what they think, you might actually hear a few good ideas that may help the company improve in the future and improve staff morale. All too often the area manager comes in to speak with the store manager for whatever reason and doesn't seem to care about the other employees. It makes us feel like we don't matter and that what we have to say doesn't matter.

keeping prices low by not paying employees

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

cheap shopping before or after work

Cons

-you start 15 minutes before you get paid
    -you often finish 30-90 minutes later than you're supposed to - sometimes this time gets lost in administration and you don't have access to the company records to check - you have to do the math 1-1.5 months later, when you get your payslip (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who actually does that at our store) so probably the company owes hundreds of £ to my colleagues
    -you are told several times during your training that your till is your responsibility alone - however, you never get to count the till after your shift, your till difference is 'declared' by a manager who can easily miscalculate the total - also, sometimes you're given a till with misplaced coins so the coin scale gives you a mistaken figure
    -your till speed is measured each day and you have to meet a pretty high standard - however, some customers intentionally delay you and managers often don't show up for a long time when you bell them - but you're the one to be pressured with the final result at the end of the day
    -shifts often last 7.5 hours so you can only take a 20-minute break - however, if you stay longer and your shift is actually 8 hours long, you still get only your 20-minute break unless you explicitly point out that you're entitled to a full 30-min one
    -most managers act like you're born knowing all the procedures of the company - they tell you what you should have done only when it's too late in the presence of other employees/customers and you're made feel guilty for things you can't possibly know

Bad Place to Work (Aldi UK)

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Teesside County Borough, England
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Teesside County Borough, England

I have been working at ALDI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Higher level of pay than most other retailers (but you definitely earn it!)

Cons

I work as a store assistant in an Aldi store in northeast England. I have worked for other retailers and Aldi are by far the worst.
    When I started with the company I was working 40 hours per week, just what I wanted, but in the last few months my hours have been cut to around 24 hours per week, meaning that my outgoings are more than my take home pay. This is mainly due to a recent mass recruitment campaign where many stores have doubled their staff numbers, but hired too quickly and taken on many poor and incompetent staff.
    The management do not care about staff, if you question any policy you are shot down and have your card marked as a complainer, meaning that you get your hours cut further and have even less chance of promotion.
    The stores are really run by area managers who are usually 21 year olds fresh out of uni, who have no idea about retail and have never had a job. They have no personnel skills and no idea on how to treat or speak to staff.
    Aldi will cut staff hours right back, but still expect you to be 100% flexible and will rota you to be off and then call you into work at the last minute. They will guilt trip you and you'll go to the bottom of the overtime list if you can't or won't come in to work.
    The final straw came this week when staff were told that they would not be allowed to park in the shop car park over the 2 week xmas period, meaning staff now have to find a parking space elsewhere in a very run down area and will have to walk long distances to the shop. Aldi really couldn't care less about their people.

Appoint area managers and store managers who know the business and have the relevant experience and training.
    Offer promotion opportunities to those with experience and give people a chance to demonstrate their abilities.
    Consult current staff who want more hours before embarking on mass recruitment campaigns.
    Retrain area managers and store managers on how to speak to staff and other personnel and leadership skills.
    Spend some time working on how to keep existing staff and how to improve moral.

My experience working for ALDI

Current Employee - Store Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in London, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff, decent pay, as many hours as you can handle. The staff I work with are great, including the managers, though obviously this could vary tremendously between stores and regions.
    I'm never really bored at work. Angry, tired, happy... Sure, but never bored.

Cons

The rota can be an nightmare. Your shifts can vary so wildly from week to week that your sleep and social life will most definitely suffer. If you're a particularly social person and enjoy regular weekends out and being with friends you should forget about the job right now because I haven't had a weekend off in months. One morning you're up at 3am, the next you're not on until 2pm and so on... Basically it's very hard to have any kind of regularity in your free time because the rotas are so varied and inconsistent.

There's also a lot of variation in the way staff are treated. The gents are expected to do more heavy lifting, more physical work and that's fine, sure, but they're also typically the last people to get the time off that they want. In my store it's all too easy for a girl to bat her eyelids and get whatever time off she likes. Likewise certain members of staff seem to get away with murder. They perpetually under perform (making more work for the rest) without any repercussions.

There really isn't that much room for advancement. At best, after many years of thankless grafting you can make your way to store manager. The money at that level is good, yes, but in return you basically have to live in the store. If you've any ambition to make it into upper management you need to reconsider because there is no opportunity for store employees to advance to that level. They would rather employ people straight out of university.

My last little gripe is the uniform. The clothes are fine and good but men have to be clean shaven. This might not bother you at all but to me seems antiquated and discriminatory at best. There's no hygiene basis for it whatsoever. You are allowed facial hair for religious reasons though, which is almost more insulting. Beards are okay, basically, as long as you're the right race and skin colour.

Start hiring from the lower ranks and putting people with an intimate knowledge of actual store operations in positions of real responsibility. A kid straight out of university does not understand the minutia of store management in the 3 months they get actually working in shop.
    Take better care of your staff. Grumbles that have been around for ever are getting louder and louder. ALDI is making more and more money year upon year and still trying to cheap on their employees. You have the resources to show your appreciation a little better. Use them.
    Sort the rotas out. I guess this could vary wildly between stores but, in my experience, this is the single worst facet of working at ALDI. It is so demoralising working every single weekend for months on end. It is not good for productivity to have your staff tired and miserable because they haven't had a regular sleep pattern in years.
    The family 'everyone muck in' attitude covered all the weak spots when this chain was small and in it's infancy. Now ALDI is becoming a major player. They're on target to be THE store in the next 5-10 years. It's time to address these oversights before the staff that made you so great start to see the disparity between their efforts and their rewards and start to quit in droves.

Industrial placement

Former Employee - Industrial Placement in Darlington, North East England, England

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are paid well and as a graduate. There is a lot of opportunity for progression particularly with the growth of the business in the current economimic climate.

Cons

A little political and sometimes backwards. They like to test you so thick skin in required. You don't get a lot of positive feedback, you must take no news as good news. The pay is good but you definitely work hard for it. Not the best organisation to work for if you would like a life.

Respect employees a little more, and don't be rude. People need to like their job to be beneficial to the company.

Aldi UK - AWFUL really terrible place to work, treated as a number and abused

Current Employee - Store Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to shop AFTER work IF you have time

Cons

YOU CAN NOT BE PROMOTED TO AREA MANAGER EVEN IF YOU HAVE BEEN A STORE MANAGER FOR 10 YEARS AND ARE THE BEST IN THE COMPANY, ALDI ARE OPEN ABOUT THIS. You may read the salary is great but on a 48 hour contract for a manager (you will work 10 hours + OT easily) taking that into consideration the hourly wage eqiv is poor! The expectations are SERIOUSLY unrealistic and being performance managed by a 21yo that knows nothing about retail and has never had a job is a hard pill to have to swallow! I am a relatively respected manager and I do not under perform, however this company will want you heart and soul, prepared to be owned by them. Your life will be consumed.

Stop making rash business decisions. Actually abide by h&s for staff and customers and also lastly move into the 21st century. The culture, software and mentality of senior managers in draconian and cut throat. I have never been as unhappy in my life then with you. Lastly WAKE UP, there are some amazing and great store managers in the company and you hire 21yo graduates who can bearly wipe there own a55, promote some people who know the business and move away from the 100% external area manager recruitment. I have wasted years of my life with you.

Worst job of my life

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It started out as a good job with great benefits however these benefits turned sour rather fast.

Cons

lack of respects for employees, lack of training I was taken on as a assistant manager and told I would be trained in a store where all company standards were met. However into my training I was made aware of how physical this job was you are expected to pick up weight exceeding what you can physically carry the training was not adhered to as there was obvious racism and favoritism. no sense of customer satisfaction, poor work ethic. I would say Aldi is about twenty years behind other supermarkets almost as if you are working for a foreign country it is very strange and the management think they can talk to staff, customers and trainees like crap. no amount of money in the world would make me work like a dog Aldi is completely not what it makes out to be. Very unsociable hours compared to other supermarkets. In a ten hours shift on your feet all day long and your lucky if you get 15 minutes break. Worst job I ever had....

need to re instate company values
    not the family run business they make out to be
    Lack common sense towards staff

Angry unhappy stressed people

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Competitive pay compared to other similar positions in the retail field

Too busy to be bored

Cons

There is no actual training process for store assistants. They give a big book about the shop, and let you watch a store introduction dvd, that is all. No meeting no feedback no training no information even for very basic things like paycheck, holiday and break exist. You find out everything on your own. You are thrown in the jungle and nobody really teaches or cares anything. So, you feel vulnurable if you are doing alright or wrong, that other staff might blame you for what you do even though you havent been taught properly. They say totally opposite things about how to do to new staff, which is very confusing. You feel like I have to survive as if you were in military or war. It is somehow good making you a stronger person but definitely not desirable atmosphere considering in the humanitatian aspect.

In general, managers have firm angry unfriendly looks and usually 'order' you to do anything 'as fast as possible' without saying please. Even the same store assistants ask new people like me to do the jobs they want to avoid very obviously. Dirty or annoying tasks are avoided and hidden and they expect somebody else does it. Low job ethics are from low respectful work environments, I suppose. Ridiculous co-operation is required by new staff to back up what other people dont want to do. Most of staff look unhappy, pressured and mean.

You need to be 100per cent flexible for schedule as you sometimes work from 5am or 5pm or 12pm or 7am.

Systematically everything is very old-fashioned. If they earn loads of money they need to invest some on the facilities and technologies. That is the way to achieve 'productivity', the word they love to use. Every time you put out products from pallets, you have to mark 'with a pen' how many and what you did from the very confusing pick lists. You still need to write down several things with a pen. It is 2014, not in the 1970s.

Adopt new technologies and train your employees properly so they can do tasks in order with efficiency. Dont cover up your faulty management by saying 'use your initiatives'. Treat people with respect. New staff are not your slave. Have better management and communication system. Doesnt seem people talk to each other to share information, probably too busy or too hostile atmosphere.

Slave Labour

Former Employee - Stock Assistant
    Former Employee - Stock Assistant

I worked at ALDI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

ALDI is a great company to work for if you have what it takes to rise to the top of the barrell if you like a company that is very structured and regimented then this is the place for you ALDI profits continue to rise aiding to the building of more stores be prepared...

Cons

ALDI tends to work on a small number of productive staff they do not believe in full time work instead they use smaller teams of staff ususally on part time hours to get jobs done quicker to rely on productivity bonus, everything in ALDI is timed even down to going outside and litter picking a car park you may laugh when you see this but it is true.

ALDI are one of the few companies who control there loss and gain by making the staff mark off palets as they arrive for delivery they will often deliberatley take things off the order or ask managers to hide things in an attempt to catch staff out this to me is very childish and unprofessional of a company that on paper is doing so well.

The training at ALDI is almost non existent you are thrown in at the deep end almost from day one and alot of management and current staff use new starters to do all the horrible tasks that they do not want to complete.

ALDI tills are like something from 1985 they are set for you to work incredibly fast but in order to do so you must remember at least over 100 PLU numbers on the tills again management will often send in area managers in plain clothes with test trollies in a bid to keep staff in check

The "amazing" pay at ALDI only really kicks in after your probationary period has ended 3 months which unless your made of steel more than 60% of new starters at ALDI probably dont last this long.

You are also only paid 4 weeks of your weekly salary at ALDI any extra hours you do are accountable on your next paycheck also if you are late finishing say you are due to finish at 7 but have to work an extra 30mins to compete your work that extra half hour is not accounted for ALDI also demands you must arrive at least 15mins early for your shift which is also unpaid "What the hell" get a grip ALDI

If you want a company where you have to kill yourself in a dictated environment this may be the place for you but I would definitley think long and hard before accepting a position at ALDI try using forums like this for some general idea of the company or speak to members of staff instore to see how they feel not to long though you do get told off for standing and talking in ALDI.

1 Use a form of respect 2 Dont be Bulldogs 3 We cannot work as fast as you can on our first day 5 Call us by our names 6 Dont use threats and intimidation to get your point across 7 Answer a question no matter how stupid it may seem 8 If a member of staff informs you they have just had a baby offer them some time off work 9 Get a sense of humour