ALDI Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
Updated 22 October 2014

Privately-Held Family Company

Pros
  • Aldi is a great company to work for because of the pay and benefits, especially as a manager (in 48 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 33 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Varied...

Current Employee - Apprentice
    Current Employee - Apprentice

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, good apprenticeship scheme (in theory), the days usually fly by, you don't need a gym membership!

Cons

The pay keeps you there, they work you incredibly hard (sometimes you wonder if anyone had met their time scales!) Very physically exhausting but you adapt, just very hard to get used to in general

I really love our management team as they're incredibly flexible, however other stores can have a very different reputation and can struggle to even keep staff a few weeks

Angry unhappy stressed people

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

Competitive pay compared to other similar positions in the retail field

Too busy to be bored

Cons

There is no actual training process for store assistants. They give a big book about the shop, and let you watch a store introduction dvd, that is all. No meeting no feedback no training no information even for very basic things like paycheck, holiday and break exist. You find out everything on your own. You are thrown in the jungle and nobody really teaches or cares anything. So, you feel vulnurable if you are doing alright or wrong, that other staff might blame you for what you do even though you havent been taught properly. They say totally opposite things about how to do to new staff, which is very confusing. You feel like I have to survive as if you were in military or war. It is somehow good making you a stronger person but definitely not desirable atmosphere considering in the humanitatian aspect.

In general, managers have firm angry unfriendly looks and usually 'order' you to do anything 'as fast as possible' without saying please. Even the same store assistants ask new people like me to do the jobs they want to avoid very obviously. Dirty or annoying tasks are avoided and hidden and they expect somebody else does it. Low job ethics are from low respectful work environments, I suppose. Ridiculous co-operation is required by new staff to back up what other people dont want to do. Most of staff look unhappy, pressured and mean.

You need to be 100per cent flexible for schedule as you sometimes work from 5am or 5pm or 12pm or 7am.

Systematically everything is very old-fashioned. If they earn loads of money they need to invest some on the facilities and technologies. That is the way to achieve 'productivity', the word they love to use. Every time you put out products from pallets, you have to mark 'with a pen' how many and what you did from the very confusing pick lists. You still need to write down several things with a pen. It is 2014, not in the 1970s.

Adopt new technologies and train your employees properly so they can do tasks in order with efficiency. Dont cover up your faulty management by saying 'use your initiatives'. Treat people with respect. New staff are not your slave. Have better management and communication system. Doesnt seem people talk to each other to share information, probably too busy or too hostile atmosphere.

Slave Labour

Former Employee - Stock Assistant
    Former Employee - Stock Assistant

I worked at ALDI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

ALDI is a great company to work for if you have what it takes to rise to the top of the barrell if you like a company that is very structured and regimented then this is the place for you ALDI profits continue to rise aiding to the building of more stores be prepared...

Cons

ALDI tends to work on a small number of productive staff they do not believe in full time work instead they use smaller teams of staff ususally on part time hours to get jobs done quicker to rely on productivity bonus, everything in ALDI is timed even down to going outside and litter picking a car park you may laugh when you see this but it is true.

ALDI are one of the few companies who control there loss and gain by making the staff mark off palets as they arrive for delivery they will often deliberatley take things off the order or ask managers to hide things in an attempt to catch staff out this to me is very childish and unprofessional of a company that on paper is doing so well.

The training at ALDI is almost non existent you are thrown in at the deep end almost from day one and alot of management and current staff use new starters to do all the horrible tasks that they do not want to complete.

ALDI tills are like something from 1985 they are set for you to work incredibly fast but in order to do so you must remember at least over 100 PLU numbers on the tills again management will often send in area managers in plain clothes with test trollies in a bid to keep staff in check

The "amazing" pay at ALDI only really kicks in after your probationary period has ended 3 months which unless your made of steel more than 60% of new starters at ALDI probably dont last this long.

You are also only paid 4 weeks of your weekly salary at ALDI any extra hours you do are accountable on your next paycheck also if you are late finishing say you are due to finish at 7 but have to work an extra 30mins to compete your work that extra half hour is not accounted for ALDI also demands you must arrive at least 15mins early for your shift which is also unpaid "What the hell" get a grip ALDI

If you want a company where you have to kill yourself in a dictated environment this may be the place for you but I would definitley think long and hard before accepting a position at ALDI try using forums like this for some general idea of the company or speak to members of staff instore to see how they feel not to long though you do get told off for standing and talking in ALDI.

1 Use a form of respect 2 Dont be Bulldogs 3 We cannot work as fast as you can on our first day 5 Call us by our names 6 Dont use threats and intimidation to get your point across 7 Answer a question no matter how stupid it may seem 8 If a member of staff informs you they have just had a baby offer them some time off work 9 Get a sense of humour

Awful

Current Employee - Store Assistant
    Current Employee - Store Assistant

I have been working at ALDI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and most of the people

Cons

The managers treat you like garbage, very long hours (bad work/life balance), expected to do big tasks in a small amount of time

I hope in future that the managers that Aldi employ will actually treat staff like normal human beings and not just pieces of trash. Treat work mates as you would want to be treated.

Great Start!

Current Employee - Stock Assistant in Stratford-upon-Avon, England
    Current Employee - Stock Assistant in Stratford-upon-Avon, England

I have been working at ALDI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I must admit, following the reviews I read on here I was a little apprehensive about starting in my new job as a 'Stock Assistant' in the Stratford-upon-Avon store. Following my first week, I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed it! I was greeted with a very warm welcome and the managers and floor staff have all been very supportive (and patient!) and I can honestly say that I couldn't have wished for better colleagues and managers! The pay is also excellent for a 16 year old and is even still set to rise! Now is a great time to join this prosperous business.

Cons

My only issue is that I can't fit in as many hours as I'd like when I start at sixth form in September!

Keep it up and this company will continue to prosper!

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Stock Assistant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Stock Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at ALDI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co workers (store assistant)

Cons

No breaks, very hard job.

No breaks
    No progression
    They expect you to do everything very fast even if you only have 1 day working there, the manager told me is very hard to get a promoted, they will tell you they will support but that is just a lie, if you are applying for this job just think why Aldi is always looking for new employees is because is a horrible job, you will be lifting very very heavy stuff, you need to finish every pallet in less than 30 minutes, if you are stock assistant is no change to move to store assistant. £7 per hour is not enough for all the things you need to do. As stock assistant you will do more things that an store assistant.

Good money and used to be a well run company.........

Current Employee - N/A in Chester, England
    Current Employee - N/A in Chester, England

I have been working at ALDI as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

The money and the store team (by that I mean Store/Stock assistants).

Cons

Where do I start? Having worked for the company a considerable number of years I can tell you now over the last 2ish years it has gone DOWNHILL rapid. I put this down to a number of reasons, these being as followed:

1) Head Office couldn't run a ps up in a brewery.
    2) Area Management must be the worst there is in retail, main factor in this being 90% of them being recruited straight from University many of which have actually NEVER worked in a shop before. Store management cannot for whatever silly reason progress to area management.
    3) Outside recruitment of store management team (store manager and assistant store managers) again instead of progressing from store assistant to deputy store manager then to salaried positions. Many stores in my honest opinion are run off the backs of decent deputy store managers and long serving store assistants, recognition of which is little or non existent.
    4) Wanting to compete with the main supermarkets, however not adjusting to the new demands of the business (Many stores running with below staff levels to cope with the footfall) and unrealistic 'productivity' targets, which are now more hindered than ever before! (PLU knowledge gone out of the window and the implementation of baskets which affects till speed targets, which might I add have also gone out of the window in many stores). Lack of till points (many stores only using 6 tills, which as you can see are under strain due to the new Aldi culture of 'packing' at the till points instead of at the packing bench).
    5) Employee suggestions are completely disregarded, whereas in previous years were a vital tool for the company to maximize efficiency.
    6) Training? whats that? All new employees are poorly trained if even trained at all. You'd be hard pressed to find a employee who can work a pallet in the 'allocated' time that has been employed in the last 2 years (Not the employees fault, again poor management at Head Office and at store level).
    7) Store management teams taking the ps in regards to breaks and lack of work ethic. I would however like to stress this is the mainly the case for the newer employed management and not for many of those who have worked for the company a number of years and worked their way up. Some of the best managers I have had the pleasure to work with have come from Aldi, many of whom have left to the bigger supermarkets where their service is valued considerably more. I come back to points 3 and 4, decent managers are leaving in droves and the company is trying its hardest to fill the positions with sub-standard SMs and ASMs.

There are many more problems with the company I would like to stress, however do not have the time.

Do the jobs you're paid for.........

Not bad, but some very ingrained issues...

Former Employee - Area Manager in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Salary, company car, professional senior management, dedicated staff in-store.

Cons

Far too much of the "just get it done" mentality, which is what many junior (graduate) managers come to perceive in their first management role as being leadership. Communication at all levels is poor. Capacity in busy stores in danger of being outstripped by demand. Work/Life balance is poor, although if you're a graduate in your first job then why not...

Invest in helping graduates to know the difference between "Leadership" and "Management".

Love it!! Can't wait to progress!

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Sudbury, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Sudbury, East of England, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Obviously the pay is very generous but yes they expect you to earn it! Our store is a very close group and I was welcomed with open arms. You get out what you put in. If you show kindness and respect you will receive it and show hard work and my management team shows appreciation and praises your hard work. I love my job and hope to be promoted to deputy soon!

Cons

Hard work. If your idle don't apply you won't like it :)

New starter, chucked in the deep end to fend for myself!

Current Employee - Store Associate in Gloucester, England
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Gloucester, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Colleagues you meet to help get through the day! & rate of pay

Cons

Imtimidating from all management! Expect you to do everything and have a thousand pair off hands! stay late after shift has ended and not aloud to talk while working!!!

Realise that us workers have a LIFE outside of work and shouldn't have to stay behind when our shift has ended! we work hard for 10-12hrs a day and just want to go home to rest! Your all imtimidating and not very approchable to talk to.