ALDI

Updated 1 March 2015
3.1

ALDI Presidents Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm
Chuck Youngstrom, Jason Hart & David Behm

Pros
  • You are very well compensated for the work that you do, both in pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits always a need for people so its easy to pick up hrs (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 35 reviews)

• Most District Managers are right out of college with little or no experience (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

fair company with rewards for hard work

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Liverpool, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

very good starting salary

Cons

not really any cons you may work hard but you earn your rewards

look to promote within

Disgusting and shocking

Former Employee - Webchat Advisor in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Webchat Advisor in Manchester, England

I worked at ALDI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The salary wasn't too bad, my team was supportive and a good bunch of people to work with.

Cons

Was told to pull in additional chats even thou that was not measured on targets and informed from senior management

Learn to do your job in a professional manner and support and listen to the front line staff.

Good for a temp job whilst looking for a decent job.

Current Employee - Stock Assistant Nights in Lincoln, England
    Current Employee - Stock Assistant Nights in Lincoln, England

I have been working at ALDI (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are sound, and I made good friends.

Cons

Aldi will cut your contract hours by upto 50% if theyre not hitting their sales targets, so dont work at Aldi if the money from this job is your main income.
    Started doing 30 + hours per week with 3 people on the shift, now expected to do the same amount of work but in 18 - 20 hours per week, and with only 2 people on the shift instead of 3. No pay rise or incentive to do extra work expected.
    I arrive at 10pm for the night shift, and will be told my finish time when I arrive, which will be anything from 4am - 8am.
    Was told during induction that nightshifts are blocked together to help the nightshift have more regular sleep patterns. Hardly ever happens. Everytime a worker leaves theyll be hundreds of applicants willing to take their place, Aldi know this and exploit it to the max. They keep prices low by screwing over their work force. You must be clean shaven for every shift, no designer stubble at all. And you are told you cannot say anything negative about Aldi on the internet or social media, this a an instant sackable offence. Stock assistants are not entitled to sick pay because theyre classed as a business perk.

Dont over staff, take temp workers on over busy times, so permanent staff dont lose money. Group shifts together. Start the Uni graduates off as assistant managers and build them up to Area managers gradually, so they know how to do the job properly.

Awful from the first day

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Northampton, England
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Northampton, England

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

It's not bad pay however that is the only benefit of working for the company.

Cons

Where to begin?

On my first week of working as an Aldi Store assistant, I was treated so horribly. I was shouted at in front of customers as I made small mistakes due to members of staff near breathing down your neck as you try to get used to the tills. As I was young and quite shy, at first, they tried to push me further. Other employees didn't make me feel welcomed, the manager didn't even speak to me. It felt like higher up had forced the store to employ new people but the store and everyone in it was dead against new faces.
    I remember on one of my first shifts, I walked home crying my eyes out because I couldn't believe I'd traded in my old job for somewhere so horrific.
    The employees they told to train me, openly told me they didn't want to do training and were aggressive. It was like they wanted to scare me into quitting. They gave us a list of hundreds of PLUs and told us we had to learn a certain amount per night, I felt like I was being taught by Miss Trunchable from Matilda, no exaggeration.

Then there are the managers. In Aldi, there are LOADS of managers to every store and 99% of them are unprofessional, perverse and just in capable of managing. One particular manager would come in, his shirt unwashed, marks of food and rubbish down him, smelling. It was disgusting.
    One manager would refer to me as "sexy lady"... MANAGER. Once he even grabbed my shirt, pulled me into his face. I just didn't know what to do.
    Another manager was forever angry, you'd think that being spoken to in a polite manner was a privilege reserved for birthdays. She would shout, scream, give you dirty looks and just on a whole, make you feel uncomfortable. Again, her hair was filled with grease and she was unpresentable, despite us new employees being warned that lack of presentation is an offence at Aldi.

The store system on a whole is kind of like a hierarchy. You have the employees that are the same level as you but are clearly far more 'valued' than yourself. Without promotion, they were given manager keys, which is a sackable offence had they been caught by anyone higher up and would often throw it in your face. I had a number of these, 'elite team members' we'll call them, say to me "We might be the same level, but I'm still higher".

They also make you feel guilty for being ill. During my time there, I got the chickenpox. God, you'd think I ordered them, they were so rude to me on the phone.

In the end, I was signed off of work from my doctor who advised me to look for another job as I had to be put on medication for anxiety due to Aldi.

I provided sick notes covering my absence but, low and behold, they didn't even pay me statutory sick pay in the end, which again is illegal.

I handed in my notice on the 10th of January and when that letter came through the post to say I officially didn't work for Aldi anymore, I literally could not have been any happier!!

Honestly, unless all you care about is money and are happy to be treated like mess on the bottom of your shoe, I would highly recommend you work anywhere else but Aldi.

You have to ask yourself, why do they need to take in so many staff if it's such a great place to work? Why are they constantly hiring? Why is everyone leaving?

i thought it was just the store I got put in but reading this reviews it just seems across the board it's just in general an awful place to work.

Good job for sector but hard work

I worked at ALDI

Pros

excellent team ethos from staff

Cons

poor hours, high expectations for minimal return, progression takes too long for most to remain interested

higher wage for entry level staff, more opportunities for responsibiltiy to keep people interested in staying

The worst I have ever been treated in my life.

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at ALDI part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good wages compared to other retailers.
    The store is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
    People I work with are nice, excluding managers.

Cons

As a Store Assistant, formerly a Stock Assistant, I can honestly say from my experience from these two positions that working for this company is the worst I have ever been treated in my life. I am expected to lift heavy objects from great heights, above my head height, and if I complain, I'm looked down on or guilt tripped with the "this is a team and we all have to pull our weight" speech, despite it being against health and safety regulations. My sleeping pattern has completely messed up with the 6AM starts one day and not starting until 2PM the next and working on until 3AM the next morning. The management tend to look down on people who are new starts or younger employees such as myself, especially if you're in some form of education as they seem to think that I must think I'm better than them for studying at college and only working part-time. I have been made to stay on past my finishing time almost every shift that I'm on without being asked, and if I ask to leave most times they point-blank refuse to let me go "until all of the jobs are done" and I'm not being paid for it. So this means I have no social life whatsoever and finding time to study has become increasingly difficult as I am tired all the time from work. I'm usually asked to pick up the slack for other people that haven't finished their tasks, and managers seem to have no qualms about patronizing and bullying you into it when you try and object. Despite complaining to my Store Manager about how I'm treated, nothing is being done about this. As someone who suffers from Anxiety Disorder, this has wreaked havoc on my mental well-being, and I'm currently applying for a new job after working for the company for almost 2 years.

Store managers/assistant store managers stop asking staff to do difficult jobs in impossible amounts of time. Comply with health and safety by making sure pallets are safe to work before telling staff to work them, don't ask the person that's under 5'2'' to work the 8ft high bread order.
    Area managers start taking an interest in what is going on around the store rather than just the store productivity. Ask employees what they think, you might actually hear a few good ideas that may help the company improve in the future and improve staff morale. All too often the area manager comes in to speak with the store manager for whatever reason and doesn't seem to care about the other employees. It makes us feel like we don't matter and that what we have to say doesn't matter.

keeping prices low by not paying employees

I have been working at ALDI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

cheap shopping before or after work

Cons

-you start 15 minutes before you get paid
    -you often finish 30-90 minutes later than you're supposed to - sometimes this time gets lost in administration and you don't have access to the company records to check - you have to do the math 1-1.5 months later, when you get your payslip (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who actually does that at our store) so probably the company owes hundreds of £ to my colleagues
    -you are told several times during your training that your till is your responsibility alone - however, you never get to count the till after your shift, your till difference is 'declared' by a manager who can easily miscalculate the total - also, sometimes you're given a till with misplaced coins so the coin scale gives you a mistaken figure
    -your till speed is measured each day and you have to meet a pretty high standard - however, some customers intentionally delay you and managers often don't show up for a long time when you bell them - but you're the one to be pressured with the final result at the end of the day
    -shifts often last 7.5 hours so you can only take a 20-minute break - however, if you stay longer and your shift is actually 8 hours long, you still get only your 20-minute break unless you explicitly point out that you're entitled to a full 30-min one
    -most managers act like you're born knowing all the procedures of the company - they tell you what you should have done only when it's too late in the presence of other employees/customers and you're made feel guilty for things you can't possibly know

My experience working for ALDI

Current Employee - Store Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in London, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great staff, decent pay, as many hours as you can handle. The staff I work with are great, including the managers, though obviously this could vary tremendously between stores and regions.
    I'm never really bored at work. Angry, tired, happy... Sure, but never bored.

Cons

The rota can be an nightmare. Your shifts can vary so wildly from week to week that your sleep and social life will most definitely suffer. If you're a particularly social person and enjoy regular weekends out and being with friends you should forget about the job right now because I haven't had a weekend off in months. One morning you're up at 3am, the next you're not on until 2pm and so on... Basically it's very hard to have any kind of regularity in your free time because the rotas are so varied and inconsistent.

There's also a lot of variation in the way staff are treated. The gents are expected to do more heavy lifting, more physical work and that's fine, sure, but they're also typically the last people to get the time off that they want. In my store it's all too easy for a girl to bat her eyelids and get whatever time off she likes. Likewise certain members of staff seem to get away with murder. They perpetually under perform (making more work for the rest) without any repercussions.

There really isn't that much room for advancement. At best, after many years of thankless grafting you can make your way to store manager. The money at that level is good, yes, but in return you basically have to live in the store. If you've any ambition to make it into upper management you need to reconsider because there is no opportunity for store employees to advance to that level. They would rather employ people straight out of university.

My last little gripe is the uniform. The clothes are fine and good but men have to be clean shaven. This might not bother you at all but to me seems antiquated and discriminatory at best. There's no hygiene basis for it whatsoever. You are allowed facial hair for religious reasons though, which is almost more insulting. Beards are okay, basically, as long as you're the right race and skin colour.

Start hiring from the lower ranks and putting people with an intimate knowledge of actual store operations in positions of real responsibility. A kid straight out of university does not understand the minutia of store management in the 3 months they get actually working in shop.
    Take better care of your staff. Grumbles that have been around for ever are getting louder and louder. ALDI is making more and more money year upon year and still trying to cheap on their employees. You have the resources to show your appreciation a little better. Use them.
    Sort the rotas out. I guess this could vary wildly between stores but, in my experience, this is the single worst facet of working at ALDI. It is so demoralising working every single weekend for months on end. It is not good for productivity to have your staff tired and miserable because they haven't had a regular sleep pattern in years.
    The family 'everyone muck in' attitude covered all the weak spots when this chain was small and in it's infancy. Now ALDI is becoming a major player. They're on target to be THE store in the next 5-10 years. It's time to address these oversights before the staff that made you so great start to see the disparity between their efforts and their rewards and start to quit in droves.

Industrial placement

Former Employee - Industrial Placement in Darlington, North East England, England

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are paid well and as a graduate. There is a lot of opportunity for progression particularly with the growth of the business in the current economimic climate.

Cons

A little political and sometimes backwards. They like to test you so thick skin in required. You don't get a lot of positive feedback, you must take no news as good news. The pay is good but you definitely work hard for it. Not the best organisation to work for if you would like a life.

Respect employees a little more, and don't be rude. People need to like their job to be beneficial to the company.

Varied...

Current Employee - Apprentice
    Current Employee - Apprentice

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, good apprenticeship scheme (in theory), the days usually fly by, you don't need a gym membership!

Cons

The pay keeps you there, they work you incredibly hard (sometimes you wonder if anyone had met their time scales!) Very physically exhausting but you adapt, just very hard to get used to in general

I really love our management team as they're incredibly flexible, however other stores can have a very different reputation and can struggle to even keep staff a few weeks