ALDI Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014
Updated 27 August 2014

3.1

Hartmuth Wiesemann

Pros
  • Very competitive pay and benefits, even for the lowest paid employees (in 38 reviews)

• Great Pay, loved the physical part of the job, no need for a gym membership (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain a work life balance of any kind, but know some who managed (in 24 reviews)

• Only hire District Managers just out of school, some it was their very first job they ever had (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Start!

Current Employee - Stock Assistant  in  Stratford-upon-Avon, England
    Current Employee - Stock Assistant in Stratford-upon-Avon, England

I have been working at ALDI part-time for less than a year

Pros

I must admit, following the reviews I read on here I was a little apprehensive about starting in my new job as a 'Stock Assistant' in the Stratford-upon-Avon store. Following my first week, I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed it! I was greeted with a very warm welcome and the managers and floor staff have all been very supportive (and patient!) and I can honestly say that I couldn't have wished for better colleagues and managers! The pay is also excellent for a 16 year old and is even still set to rise! Now is a great time to join this prosperous business.

Cons

My only issue is that I can't fit in as many hours as I'd like when I start at sixth form in September!

Keep it up and this company will continue to prosper!

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Stock Assistant  in  Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Stock Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at ALDI part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly co workers (store assistant)

Cons

No breaks, very hard job.

No breaks
    No progression
    They expect you to do everything very fast even if you only have 1 day working there, the manager told me is very hard to get a promoted, they will tell you they will support but that is just a lie, if you are applying for this job just think why Aldi is always looking for new employees is because is a horrible job, you will be lifting very very heavy stuff, you need to finish every pallet in less than 30 minutes, if you are stock assistant is no change to move to store assistant. £7 per hour is not enough for all the things you need to do. As stock assistant you will do more things that an store assistant.

Good money and used to be a well run company.........

Current Employee - N/A  in  Chester, England
    Current Employee - N/A in Chester, England

I have been working at ALDI as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

The money and the store team (by that I mean Store/Stock assistants).

Cons

Where do I start? Having worked for the company a considerable number of years I can tell you now over the last 2ish years it has gone DOWNHILL rapid. I put this down to a number of reasons, these being as followed:

1) Head Office couldn't run a ps up in a brewery.
    2) Area Management must be the worst there is in retail, main factor in this being 90% of them being recruited straight from University many of which have actually NEVER worked in a shop before. Store management cannot for whatever silly reason progress to area management.
    3) Outside recruitment of store management team (store manager and assistant store managers) again instead of progressing from store assistant to deputy store manager then to salaried positions. Many stores in my honest opinion are run off the backs of decent deputy store managers and long serving store assistants, recognition of which is little or non existent.
    4) Wanting to compete with the main supermarkets, however not adjusting to the new demands of the business (Many stores running with below staff levels to cope with the footfall) and unrealistic 'productivity' targets, which are now more hindered than ever before! (PLU knowledge gone out of the window and the implementation of baskets which affects till speed targets, which might I add have also gone out of the window in many stores). Lack of till points (many stores only using 6 tills, which as you can see are under strain due to the new Aldi culture of 'packing' at the till points instead of at the packing bench).
    5) Employee suggestions are completely disregarded, whereas in previous years were a vital tool for the company to maximize efficiency.
    6) Training? whats that? All new employees are poorly trained if even trained at all. You'd be hard pressed to find a employee who can work a pallet in the 'allocated' time that has been employed in the last 2 years (Not the employees fault, again poor management at Head Office and at store level).
    7) Store management teams taking the ps in regards to breaks and lack of work ethic. I would however like to stress this is the mainly the case for the newer employed management and not for many of those who have worked for the company a number of years and worked their way up. Some of the best managers I have had the pleasure to work with have come from Aldi, many of whom have left to the bigger supermarkets where their service is valued considerably more. I come back to points 3 and 4, decent managers are leaving in droves and the company is trying its hardest to fill the positions with sub-standard SMs and ASMs.

There are many more problems with the company I would like to stress, however do not have the time.

Do the jobs you're paid for.........

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, but some very ingrained issues...

Former Employee - Area Manager  in  Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Salary, company car, professional senior management, dedicated staff in-store.

Cons

Far too much of the "just get it done" mentality, which is what many junior (graduate) managers come to perceive in their first management role as being leadership. Communication at all levels is poor. Capacity in busy stores in danger of being outstripped by demand. Work/Life balance is poor, although if you're a graduate in your first job then why not...

Invest in helping graduates to know the difference between "Leadership" and "Management".

Love it!! Can't wait to progress!

Current Employee - Store Assistant  in  Sudbury, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Sudbury, East of England, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Obviously the pay is very generous but yes they expect you to earn it! Our store is a very close group and I was welcomed with open arms. You get out what you put in. If you show kindness and respect you will receive it and show hard work and my management team shows appreciation and praises your hard work. I love my job and hope to be promoted to deputy soon!

Cons

Hard work. If your idle don't apply you won't like it :)

New starter, chucked in the deep end to fend for myself!

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Gloucester, England
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Gloucester, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Colleagues you meet to help get through the day! & rate of pay

Cons

Imtimidating from all management! Expect you to do everything and have a thousand pair off hands! stay late after shift has ended and not aloud to talk while working!!!

Realise that us workers have a LIFE outside of work and shouldn't have to stay behind when our shift has ended! we work hard for 10-12hrs a day and just want to go home to rest! Your all imtimidating and not very approchable to talk to.

Employed at store level there is no promotion from that ponit

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Royal Leamington Spa, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Royal Leamington Spa, England

I worked at ALDI full-time for more than a year

Pros

What I enjoyed most about the job is that each day can be very different. You are part of an organisation that is growing rapidly. This can be seen in its recent sales growth.

Cons

If you are employed as an assistant manager you can only be promoted to store manager. There is no upward movement. The position then becomes static and there are no prospects for promotion from that point.

Appoint Area Managers from your pool of Store Managers. They have the experience and expertise to make strong Area Managers.

Great place to work,nice colleagues and customers

Former Employee - Store Assistant
    Former Employee - Store Assistant

I worked at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible hours, different tasks every day, I know my rota a month ahead

Cons

Never get off the till on time

Underappreciated and ultimately disposable

Former Employee - Trainee Area Manager  in  Neston, North West England, England
    Former Employee - Trainee Area Manager in Neston, North West England, England

I worked at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary though expect to work hard for it

Cons

No social life
    Management expect you to manage the 'ALDI' way i.e. just being bossy
    Use you until they have no need for you and then you're out

Allow people greater flexibility in management style

New Starter Review

Current Employee - Store Assistant  in  Wolverhampton, England
    Current Employee - Store Assistant in Wolverhampton, England

I have been working at ALDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good wages, good variety of roles and tasks. You quickly gain good knowledge of all aspects of the store.

Cons

Training is a little confusing, although basics are taught. putting them into practice is not set out as simply as you are taught. this may lead to confusion in the first few weeks.

take new starter through each step they would be expected to do ad not just a general over-view. Stop giving new starters a sugar coated idea of the work involved on closes.

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!