AMRI Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014
Updated 26 August 2014

2.6

William S. Marth

Pros
  • There are some really good people here, but they get overshadowed by company culture as a whole (in 5 reviews)

• He is a sound businessman, unlike his predecessor who was a mere hard working scientist at best (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary and long hours causes a high turnaround for this organization (in 7 reviews)

• No concept of work/life balance, your life needs to revolve around your job (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Review of AMRI

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Albany, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Scientist in Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a place for people who want to be busy. You will learn to multi-task and become efficient and deal with pressure. Most people are pretty nice to work with. There appears to be more companies using outsourcing agencies like AMRI instead of directly hiring, so there could be more job security working here if that trend continues).

Cons

Long hours, lower pay (by about 20%) than other companies. There is also high turnover, especially by lower level employees who are over-worked and underpaid.

If you can't increase the pay, at least give out bonuses to people who deserve them.

Global Interaction

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team to work with. Co-workers are well aware of their duties and team work is always there. The benefits are great, it covers the essential health, dental, etc.

Cons

Personal growth, fast-pace environment,

It Is a Job in a Dysfunctional Organization

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist  in  Albany, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fortunate people get to learn the business and possibly develop connections for other positions in the industry.

Cons

Salary structure has not improved, expenses are rising with health care and other benefits. Company values have eroded significantly during the 2007-2011 recession; the management style now is fear of job loss. Management does not listen to employees and clients. Dead weight stays entrenched to continue destruction of company. Constant drive to reduce corporate costs with overseas acquisitions, while downsizing in US.

Departing middle managers always have opportunity to get a good severance package.

Senior management needs to be replaced or reorganized, under the direction of strong leader and operations officer. There is another domestic CRO in mid-Atlantic region, with smaller personnel size, that is doing well. AMRI should talk to them for improvements.

Company values have eroded to the point of no return. Need to improve benefits and employee career development. Just because the economy has been bad is not a good excuse for no change.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worth It..Very supportive people.

I worked at AMRI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good work ethics,proactive people and well cultured

Cons

Just a lot of calls and hectic due to being offshore

Provides a living.

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits. Good co-workers. Fun environment if you work with the right group of guys.

Cons

standard 2% raise per year, very weak yearly bonus if any at all.

pay could be better for the hazardous work.

You will never materially advance nor be rewarded for having the company's back. It's just not that kind of company.

Current Employee - Dedicated Soldier  in  Albany, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Dedicated Soldier in Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great technical experience. Lots of great equipment. Great river views from the second floor. Exceptionally nice colleagues from all over the world.

Cons

Meaningless performance evaluations; Complete waste of everyone's time. Hard work/ownership not valued/rewarded. Poor work not punished. Laziness condoned. PhD's hired to do mundane Associates Degree work. Embarrassingly lame mid-level management. They and the level above have no tools to motivate people. Fear of loss of job is all they have. Everyone is treated exactly the same, regardless of talent or industry.

It's obvious that a calculation was made to NOT take an active role to manage/optimize the most expensive aspect of your operations. It's managed by attrition. It appears to be fairly effective unfortunately. I'm surprised that it's worked so well, but the awful Obama economy makes it possible. Fortunately, I'm able to motivate myself and the balance sheet still works for me personally. It's heartbreaking to have witnessed the exodus of so many insanely talented, effective people over the last few years. They made the company strong. You're less so now, but like I said, that's the course you've decided upon. I think if things grow as you hope, a case can be made that experienced lab folks would be a HUGE asset. Please dispense with the performance evaluation process every year. It will benefit your group leaders/supervisors. They have no time for it. It should be like a flat tax return, one page or even pass/fail. Pretty hopeless, which is quite discouraging, but most weeks I can rise above all this and know that sometimes doing the right thing is its own reward. Finally, it doesn't take a great deal of money to keep people's head in the game. If it were my company, I'd want people to be willing to take a bullet for me (figuratively, of course). That'll never happen here due to the approach you've taken. Not only does it not cost a great deal of money to motivate people, you don't even have to mean it.

Decent

I have been working at AMRI

Pros

Really great people to work with.

Cons

Not a competitive salary...many people are looking for other opportunities

New management but still terrible

Current Employee - Research Scientist I
    Current Employee - Research Scientist I

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Effective Jan 1, 2014, William Marth is now CEO. He is a sound businessman, unlike his predecessor who was a mere hard working scientist at best.

Cons

Effective March 1, 2014 AMRI is now asking employees to pay more for health insurance. AMRI is immune to healthcare policy changes because they're self-insured. Ultimately AMRI is cutting employee benefits when salary is still abysmal.
    Pretty much all employee support system is in dismay (HR, IT, Maintenance, Janitorial, etc).

Management has a lot to benefit from actually having a short conversation with the people who actually do the work. While this is a prevalent problem in many companies, AMRI management just couldn't care less.

Looks good on the surface...

I have been working at AMRI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learned a lot
    Like my co-workers

Cons

Over-worked, Under-appreciated, Under-paid

I was told there would be room for growth...when opportunities were available, I was over-looked

Share the wealth
    A little goodwill goes a long way
    Appreciate every employee you have

Learn a lot; did a lot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA (US)

I worked at AMRI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good place to learn for new people like myself. Get exposed to different things, you wear different hats.

Cons

Very low pay but demands long hours. If you dont work 50-60 plus hours, you are slacker. There is no chance of advancement until and unless you are buddy buddy with somebody or they need to fill some spot (even if you are not fit for that spot). Very bad culture.

To demand so much from your employees, please see what you are offering to them. Please know that you have to treat your employees well to get back what you want. It is not like there is only one company to work for. Please be open and respect your employees.

Worked for AMRI? Contribute to the Community!