ARAMARK

Updated 18 August 2014
Updated 18 August 2014

ARAMARK CEO Eric J. Foss
Eric J. Foss

Pros
  • Good work-life balance if you are in the right account, good 401k program and benefits (in 16 reviews)

• Ability to learn various aspects of contract management; opportunity to work in different lines of business (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It has a horrible work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The upper management that wasn't at the direct location was never seen (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Cool

Former Employee - Back of House Kitchen Worker  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Back of House Kitchen Worker in London, England

Pros

Being paid weekly was good.

Cons

The amount of food for lunch was not enough.

More food for people at lunch.

Could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Struggling to find one...

Cons

Not enough support or training given, not enough head office people listen to the front line team. Won't supply uniforms for you or safety shoes!

Start listening to front line colleagues before you start losing business....They/we know the customer better than anyone.
    Reputation is extremely important but are you really get g a good with at the moment from you employees..?

UK Aramark do not work to Aramark ideals

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

I had a great time and felt honoured to have had the chance to be part of the Olympic team.

Cons

I understand that businesses have to expect re- structure once in a while to stay competitive, but the way this process was carried out across the East Midlands region by my area manager was disgraceful, if not in some incidences illegal. My team and I all had the arduous task of applying for our own jobs, conveniently re titled to avoid redundancy payments. This process was scheduled to take 10 days, and in actual fact took over 8 weeks, with the roles offered changing 3 times, and appointments/interviews cancelled without notice. Every member of my team was treated unprofessional, and many as a result chose to find alternative employment rather than carry on working for Aramark, maybe what they wanted all along. One of my colleagues heard my area manager discussing my replacement, with his assistant, prior to my interview, and thought it courteous to let me know, my replacement being an ex colleague of the area manager. The final indignity in this whole affair was when I had to share a waiting room with this person, as my manager had arranged his interview directly after mine. In my time as a manager with Aramark, my area manager cancelled 27 business meetings in 3 months, and to say I got very well acquainted with his voice mail is an understatement
    I understand the U. S arm of the company has a fabulous reputation, not so here in the UK.

Choose very carefully, the people below you are not just stepping stones to tread on as you carve your own career.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good so far

Current Employee - General Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - General Manager in London, England

Pros

My immediate bosses they are fantastic the family feeling of being in our team is great

Cons

Our office culture is encouraging and empowering I can make my own decisions and drive my business for my client

It isn't always one size fits all concepts don't work everywhere

A company with the worst management systems.

Former Employee - Cashier, Team Member  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Cashier, Team Member in London, England

Pros

The wages are good, I'd say and you don't have to spend money on meals when you're working.

Cons

This is list is not gonna end. There is no value of the opinions of the ones that are below in the chain, the managers always seem to be pissed off and they tell you off for the simplest reasons. The workers are made to feel that they are working FOR Aramark, not working WITH Aramark and I believe the outcomes would be much better if the managers let the workers feel that it's all about group achievement in this sector of business.

Please read my response to the 'Cons' section and try to improve those aspects.

No problems in my employment and good pay as a high school student.

Former Employee - Mess Steward  in  Wattisham, England
    Former Employee - Mess Steward in Wattisham, England

Pros

Good pay, good work experience for a high school student that had no prior experience - I'm glad they gave me a chance. Good holiday, and a nice Christmas bonus too.

Cons

Probably should have been given more training, particularly in COSHH. There were times I realised I was lacking training which was made more difficult by the fact I worked alone on weekends, for example I didn't know how to give a customer a refund, and there was no present who could do this for me.

Make sure the staff is fully trained and supported when in need of help.

Weymouth Olympic Sailing Village

Former Employee - Front of House Supervisor  in  Weymouth, England
    Former Employee - Front of House Supervisor in Weymouth, England

Pros

They paid me a decent wage
    My colleagues were all friendly and supportive
    I enjoyed being given Instant responsibility

Cons

Management were sometimes reluctant to make changes
    Over an 8 hours shift would have nothing to do for 4 hours and then be swamped for the other 4 though that's the nature of the culinary industry perhaps.

The team could be used more effectively. We never had the correct number of staff - always too many or too few.

A great company to work for

Current Employee - Food Service Director  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Food Service Director in New York, NY (US)

Pros

In B&I and have most weekends off and evenings too.. Hours can be long, usually from early morning to late afternoon. Good company benefits and a nice 410K plan

Cons

If you loose you account for reasons that you can't control you could be out of a job. You can cover over accounts if your colleagues go on vacation, but this usually involves you being willing to travel far and work lounger hours, while learning how they do things at their account.

be honest

Mostly positive

Current Employee - Food Service Director  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Food Service Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

OK pay and benefits. Co Workers interesting

Cons

didn't support promotion and working in jails hard on the "Soul"

It all depends on who the manager is, really

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN (US)

Pros

Request offs were always permitted
    Flexibility with schedule
    Fellow college students are a better group of customers than the general public
    Coworkers are either fellow college students or really easy-going people. Coworkers that knew what they were doing and were reliable made the work environment.

Cons

Pay raises were once every year and usually consisted from $0.05 to $0.15. Once had a raise that was just $0.01. I worked for this company for 4 years and never came close to $8.00/hour, although people hired in with no experience would receive $8/hour.
    Football Saturdays means no parking and no reliance on management, because they're all pulled to work the stadium.
    Forcing employees to upsell to college students who barely make above minimum wage at their own jobs: not the best idea.
    Upper management has no respect for how stores run. Every store is not a cookie cutter replica of the next one and some stores deliver better in areas that others don't.
    The ridiculous amount of times I would call managers for assistance with a problem (register not working, replacement/breaker not showing up) and hearing back several hours later grows old pretty quick.
    Supervisors ended up doing most of the work and had nothing to show for it (in terms of payment).

Be willing to work with storekeepers about what they really do/don't need in their individual stores (meal plan items, amounts of product). They know their stuff.

Worked for ARAMARK? Contribute to the Community!