ARAMARK

Updated 25 November 2014
2.9

ARAMARK CEO Eric J. Foss
Eric J. Foss

Pros
  • Good work-life balance if you are in the right account, good 401k program and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Ability to learn various aspects of contract management; opportunity to work in different lines of business (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • They have great training programs, great work life balance, great benefits (in 21 reviews)

• The upper management that wasn't at the direct location was never seen (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Regional Services Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Services Manager in London, England

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 3 years, they offer a good package and give flexibility. There is very much a collaboration culture, can rely on your colleagues. Some possibilities for promotions. Recently went through restructure and improving processes and procedures.

Cons

Not so great benefits (like maternity leave etc). They also have short annual leave allowance of 20 days but you can collect days in lieu. Training programs could be better.

Look at annual leave allowance and training provision.

At this moment in time , absolute madness ,

Current Employee - Chef Manager in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Chef Manager in Nottingham, England

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None,none none none none

Cons

No stock ,consult unit managers , no help ,consult unit managers

Talk to your staff

UK Aramark do not work to Aramark ideals

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at ARAMARK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a great time and felt honoured to have had the chance to be part of the Olympic team.

Cons

I understand that businesses have to expect re- structure once in a while to stay competitive, but the way this process was carried out across the East Midlands region by my area manager was disgraceful, if not in some incidences illegal. My team and I all had the arduous task of applying for our own jobs, conveniently re titled to avoid redundancy payments. This process was scheduled to take 10 days, and in actual fact took over 8 weeks, with the roles offered changing 3 times, and appointments/interviews cancelled without notice. Every member of my team was treated unprofessional, and many as a result chose to find alternative employment rather than carry on working for Aramark, maybe what they wanted all along. One of my colleagues heard my area manager discussing my replacement, with his assistant, prior to my interview, and thought it courteous to let me know, my replacement being an ex colleague of the area manager. The final indignity in this whole affair was when I had to share a waiting room with this person, as my manager had arranged his interview directly after mine. In my time as a manager with Aramark, my area manager cancelled 27 business meetings in 3 months, and to say I got very well acquainted with his voice mail is an understatement
    I understand the U. S arm of the company has a fabulous reputation, not so here in the UK.

Choose very carefully, the people below you are not just stepping stones to tread on as you carve your own career.

Could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ARAMARK

Pros

Struggling to find one...

Cons

Not enough support or training given, not enough head office people listen to the front line team. Won't supply uniforms for you or safety shoes!

Start listening to front line colleagues before you start losing business....They/we know the customer better than anyone.
    Reputation is extremely important but are you really get g a good with at the moment from you employees..?

Cool

Former Employee - Back of House Kitchen Worker in London, England
    Former Employee - Back of House Kitchen Worker in London, England

I worked at ARAMARK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being paid weekly was good.

Cons

The amount of food for lunch was not enough.

More food for people at lunch.

A company with the worst management systems.

Former Employee - Cashier, Team Member in London, England
    Former Employee - Cashier, Team Member in London, England

I worked at ARAMARK part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The wages are good, I'd say and you don't have to spend money on meals when you're working.

Cons

This is list is not gonna end. There is no value of the opinions of the ones that are below in the chain, the managers always seem to be pissed off and they tell you off for the simplest reasons. The workers are made to feel that they are working FOR Aramark, not working WITH Aramark and I believe the outcomes would be much better if the managers let the workers feel that it's all about group achievement in this sector of business.

Please read my response to the 'Cons' section and try to improve those aspects.

Very good so far

Current Employee - General Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - General Manager in London, England

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My immediate bosses they are fantastic the family feeling of being in our team is great

Cons

Our office culture is encouraging and empowering I can make my own decisions and drive my business for my client

It isn't always one size fits all concepts don't work everywhere

No problems in my employment and good pay as a high school student.

Former Employee - Mess Steward in Wattisham, England
    Former Employee - Mess Steward in Wattisham, England

I worked at ARAMARK part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good work experience for a high school student that had no prior experience - I'm glad they gave me a chance. Good holiday, and a nice Christmas bonus too.

Cons

Probably should have been given more training, particularly in COSHH. There were times I realised I was lacking training which was made more difficult by the fact I worked alone on weekends, for example I didn't know how to give a customer a refund, and there was no present who could do this for me.

Make sure the staff is fully trained and supported when in need of help.

Weymouth Olympic Sailing Village

Former Employee - Front of House Supervisor in Weymouth, England
    Former Employee - Front of House Supervisor in Weymouth, England

I worked at ARAMARK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They paid me a decent wage
    My colleagues were all friendly and supportive
    I enjoyed being given Instant responsibility

Cons

Management were sometimes reluctant to make changes
    Over an 8 hours shift would have nothing to do for 4 hours and then be swamped for the other 4 though that's the nature of the culinary industry perhaps.

The team could be used more effectively. We never had the correct number of staff - always too many or too few.

Food Service, Hospital Cafteria. Large Amount of Prep Work 50-60%, Customer Service 25%, Misc tasks 15-25%, Busy 7-2 pm

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Naperville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at ARAMARK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy dealing with people, complaints, and providing solutions ARAMARK Food Service is for you. Opportunity to meet people all ages all races. Opportunity to help sick persons visiting the cafeteria and providing them wonderful customer service. First Shift very relaxing after 2:30 pm before 2:30 pm busy and hectic. Evening dinner way more smooth and less stressful than lunch time. Manager usually leaves by 5 or 6 pm making the evening and closing relaxing so you can work at your own pace without getting hassled or yelled at.

Cons

Time Management is Key and Prioritizing your daily work. Great job for a student or someone seeking temporary work, Low Wages / Minimum Wage, Can be stressful, Can become boring day in day out. Can easily incur customer complaints for stupid things out of your control like unavailable products, out of a product, not agreeing with customers, failure to produce a product exactly right. If you have a cool / laidback supervisor your day wont be too bad, however if you're supervisor is a lifer or someone trying to climb the chain you're gonna be hauling all day. Days can get aggravating when getting yelled at by a supervisor, getting yelled at by the manager, and then getting yelled at again by the supervisor after he gets yelled at by the manager. Life all food service, hard work, and low paying jobs older employees often are bitter and expect things their way and younger employees will be laid back and most likely don't care. Best advice is to be friendly and treat all employees with respect, give second chances, If you're getting bullied by experienced lifer employees have a talk with them in private instead of talking back, ignoring them, or continuing to not hear them out.

Spend more time teaching your employees corrections rather than yelling at them when they make a mistake. Offering starting wage of $10-11 would help fill frequent employment turnaround. Hold daily A.M or P.M team meetings allowing each employee to give input on a situation or work problem that is affecting them and then actively spend time trying to think of solutions for them, not just hear and ignore. As the Manager provide notice of special events or unusual times of traffic. Do not just yell at an employee if they receive an average of under secret shopper score, help them develop better conversation skills with customers. Provide fun competition / rewards for your employees to do better than average / standard work. Walk around your managing area more often and get involved with employees and customers and compliment employees openly and in public when they provide excellent customer service or do something out of the ordinary. Avoid getting angry or stressed out during peak hours, if you see an employee slacking or doing something wrong, politely talk to them in private and find out what the problem is and give suggestions instead of orders when possible.

ARAMARK Photos