ARMA Reviews

CEO

Great Not For Profit

Current Employee - Senior Level
    Current Employee - Senior Level

I have been working at ARMA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for ARMA has provided me with a wealth of opportunity I may not have had otherwise. I've been encouraged to take on new roles and projects, improving my professional skills. Encourages work-life balance and the staff is like a family.

Cons

Sometimes it becomes difficult to work closely with a smaller staff. Also, since we are accountable to board and members,, it is challenging to meet the needs of all.

2. Generally, things are good here. Like every company there are negatives. The grass is always greener.

Current Contractor - Systems Administrator
    Current Contractor - Systems Administrator

I have been working at ARMA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

3 Weeks of annual leave is nice. Most benefits are good for a smaller company. The company is relatively open minded regarding future ops and staying current in technology.

Cons

Upper management is pretty disconnected from the workforce. This poses issues with making proper decisions regarding upgrade strategies. The company offers money towards education but is extremely difficult to take advantage of.

3. Poor Communication

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at ARMA

Pros

My manager was not looking over my shoulder every 10 minutes. He allowed his employees freedom to get their jobs done. Pay was excellent.

Cons

My team members were petty and childish.

Advice to Management

When you takeover a contract from a competing services company, it is a good idea to bring onboard some legacy human resources but after a year you should cut them loose. They are the reason why you got the contract in the first place. You can't rebuild a culture if you keep the same people onboard.

5. Great Company

Current Employee - Contractor in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Contractor in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at ARMA

Pros

Benefits, pay, and backend support are all fantastic. Whenever I need something from HR, they are very responsive. My manager has been very supportive of my desire for career progression and the money has been right from the start.

Cons

Typical defense contractor shortfalls. There are always going to be obstacles set in place by contract limitations and customer demands. Hopefully, as this company matures, they will become more adaptive to these types of challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and be sure to maintain communication with your employees. The best managers do not wish for their employees to remain in the same position long term, but have a desire for those individuals to move up the chain and forward in their career. Keep an active dialogue open with your employees to ensure that they will not jump ship simply for upward mobility. That has to be available to them here at ARMA.

6. Worst Defense Contractor to work for and very DISCRIMINATING Employer

I have been working at ARMA

Pros

There is nothing pros to talk about this organization after my experience.

Cons

I worked for Arma for sometime. After couple of months they demoted me to another group as I was not Subject Matter Expert in the position I was hired into. I was hired by the company after a thorough interview by the Tech Lead and Manager. After 3months, without saying a word about my job performance demoted me and cut my salary of $25,000 because I was not prior military or veteran. Their excuse was that I was not SME in the subject but the reality is that they take care of only people with military backgrounds and move them up. I knew this after I started working with the other group they moved one person to the Data Center into a position that was required to be a SME. The person that they moved had no IT background whatsoever. I believe that ARMA discriminates against non-veterans and against minorities.
    They also didn't give my vacation pay as I had so many hours and was taxed at a high rate. Management is terrible. They smile when you are hired, but when it was time to save the organization they become different human beings. The sad reality they don't realize is that one day they will be let go. They also report to someone higher up.
    I am glad I moved on from ARMA.

Advice to Management

Show some respect and equal treatment to people of minority backgrounds and non-veterans. Otherwise tomorrow the Company will go bankrupt.

7. Very bad experience

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at ARMA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customer was great, but I can't say the same for my former management and co-workers.

Cons

Very bad experience at an overseas site. Found it impossible to succeed in the living and work environment ARMA provided. On-site and conus management were little help. First job I was ever terminated from in thirty years of work. Management kept allowing unprofessional employee behavior to continue. The customer recognized my performance. I know that they had nothing to do with my dismissal. It was my co-workers and a very weak on-site supervisor who permitted situation to persist. I would never consider another position from this company.

Advice to Management

Take control of the work and living conditions, and don't allow the inmates to run the asylum. Establish rules and enforce them, so everyone gets a chance to succeed. I know that no one is listening at ARMA. .

Work Place

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at ARMA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping out soldiers within DoD

Cons

Arma hires folks that has the clearance for current positions. How can you hire someone that has never worked in the current job environment and put them in charge of a 3 man team. It takes to long to get any thing done in the environment. The manager does not believe in 8570 put personnel in position that they are not quilified for.

Advice to Management

Hire managers and personnel that know what they are doing.

9. Great Company!!

Current Employee - Tampa Office in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Tampa Office in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at ARMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great. ARMA treats their employees well. Relaxed environment with a lot of hard working people.

Cons

I have no Cons to report

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

10. Great company, fast growing corporation but without the typical office politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at ARMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee benefit costs are unmatched in Tampa Bay, company pays majority of cost. Above average compensation and excellent work/life balance. Very refreshing environment. No micro management.

Cons

None to report at this time.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on employee retention. Listen to your employees and retain your top performers.

11. Good company, if you look at the constraints of doing business with the government

I worked at ARMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, interesting work environments. I've seen many complain about pay, but that has a lot to do with what your position is billeted for and the government's compensation based on that position. I had the top pay for the area by far, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will be compensated what they believe is fair.

Cons

Typical cons of working as a government contractor, which the company cannot mitigate. Their inflexibility to negotiate increased PTO. Annual performance review process can be improved and streamlined. Ultimately, the only reason I left was for a better opportunity elsewhere. Due to the constraints of working as a government contractor, my upward mobility was hindered if I wanted to stay in the same area.

Advice to Management

Consider allowing employees and candidates to negotiate an extra week of leave. Your inflexibility in this area is indicative of a young company, but there should be some form of wiggle room when it comes to leave. Don't fall back on the "well it wouldn't be fair to everyone else" excuse.