ASDA

Be The First To
Add Photos

ASDA President & CEO  Andy Clarke

Andy Clarke

Pros
  • Benefits are great and the 10% discount always helps (in 16 reviews)

• For most it is good pay for easy work, especially if you run a till (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As 1 manager said to me" this company, doesn't like full time staff" (in 9 reviews)

• Queue clarity and general checkout atmosphere is awful and does nothing for shop floor maintenance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Your treat fairly, and as an individual... amongst a great team.

Section Leader (Former Employee) Blackpool, England

ProsYou get good breaks, fairly treat, given opportunities to further yourself... its a really good place to work. It was honestly like one big family. Even now, the few times i shop there, the staff are so lovely and welcoming.

ConsThe wages aren't that great, but you have to understand, food has become expensive. And supermarkets competitive aim is to have the lowest prices. Wages come with responsibility.... and if you are willing to do overtime, the wages arfe there.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would tell a colleague not to do it, dont do it yourself.

EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE

ProsFRIENDLY, GOOD MANAGEMENT, BENEFITS, perks, well structured

ConsLATE SHIFTS, NO extra shifts, little BENEFITS, night work, heavy work in seasonal time

It was great working with Asda.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsWell best thing for me was flexible timings. You can find a job with the timing which suits your life. Although its a cheapest super market but they still give discount to their employees which is wonderful:)

ConsI feel there is a lack of training and development for employees. and if there is any its not well commnicated around.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had no issues with managment what so ever but managers should not overly interfering.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood, fun atmosphere. Met some great people who made shift work easier. Able to swap shifts when I needed to. Excellent discounts.

ConsWas never offered a full time position. Understandably though, it was difficult to get time off at Christmas. More variety in skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore full time positions

Good introduction to working life.

Checkout Colleague (Current Employee) Winsford, North West England, England

ProsEnjoyable, friendly work atmosphere. There was often overtime available for those who worked hard and wanted some. I was trained on several other departments and quite often did other tasks which helped bring some variety to my job.

ConsThere isn't really much scope for growth, I was excellent at what I did and scored 100% on all of my audits (about ten of them), yet due to the number of more experienced colleagues I'd have had to wait a while for a management opportunity. Repetitive job actions. (about half) Other employees were always moaning over very little.

Advice to Senior ManagementASDA gave a great introduction of what it's like to work within a big organisation, my advice would be to improve the attitude and overall happiness of colleagues, and to utilise the talents of those whom you employ.

Suits my life at the moment

Checkout Operator (Current Employee) Poole, England

ProsYou have your set hours every week, so you know when your working and not. Overtime is easy to come by and you can pick and choose what suits you. The staff discount is a great bonus.

ConsWhen it is busy, there are less opportunities to do other tasks. The role can be a bit boring doing the same thing all the time. It would be good to have more opportunities to get off the till and do other things.

Advice to Senior Managementit would be good to get till trained staff varying their roles more to include self scan and kiosk and customer service so the job becomes more variable and people can explore their strengths and weaknesses.

Positive place to work - like one big family.

ProsProgression opportunities, good team working.

ConsNone yet! So far so good.

A precarious balance...

Services (Current Employee) Rhyl, Wales

ProsSome great colleagues. Some good leadership, mostly. A safe environment, and lots out there to protect the colleagues. Knowing I'm working in such a competitive and competent store is great too. Many, MANY opportunities to further your career and education within work.

ConsToo many managers who seem to proactively do very little, aside from lurk and berate. I must point out that some supervisors are brilliant, helpful and have a great attitude though!
    A lot of stupid policies; Queue clarity, combined with an ever growing number of self-scans and Hybrids, leaves us having to drag customers against their will to the Self-Scans to keep Queue Clarity at 100%, and I for one don't like playing a part in 'The Experience that put customer X off shopping from Asda ever again'.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more hands on, be more compassionate. Do you want to get 100% in an inspection from the bigwigs, or do you want to get 100% in our Loyal, ever paying Customer's eyes. Because currently, it's one or the other. And one is damning Asda.

Exactly the sort of job I needed at this point in my life.

Grocery Colleague (Current Employee) Bristol, England

ProsThe other colleagues are fab, and management generally tell you when you are doing something right! The pay isn't too bad, especially for a student, when compared to some of my friends' wages at other similar companies.

ConsManagement aren't always good at telling you when you need to improve, and as a part time colleague I rarely get to participate in meetings and huddles which allow you to learn about the positive and less positive things you are doing as a department. There are also very limited opportunities available to me to diversify my career with ASDA, and if there are any I don't get to hear about them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefits of working for ASDA should be made clearer to colleagues and part time colleagues need to be made more aware of the opportunities available to them and the changes being made in store by management rather than hearing patchy, second hand information from fellow colleagues.

Thoroughly enjoyable experience that throws you straight into the deep end.

Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) Cardiff, Wales

ProsHaving managers look out for you above everything, teach you the tricks of the trade and make you feel comfortable around the other colleagues. Becoming a part of a large network where everyone looks out for each other and are willing to help one another. Being able to use my own skills and knowledge as part of my everyday routine.

ConsNo two days are the same so you must learn to adapt to an ever changing environment. Having customers ask you where things are every two minutes can be difficult especially when you are trying to accomplish a task and when you don't know where the specific item is. Although training is satisfactory, they throw you into the thick of things on your first day without any guidance or a helping hand. This is a very daunting experience but may prove useful in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe department managers have an incredibly tough job maintaining their own departments whilst having relationships with their employees. I'm sure they would appreciate it they severely disciplined if an item goes missing or they miscount a product.

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!