AT&T

5,705 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,647 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 289 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 149 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the biggest struggle because of the long retail hours (in 241 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 274 reviews)

More Highlights

Big corporation with all the benefits and limitations that brings

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Program Manager in London, England

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits in terms of pay and associated benefits such as pension, bonus and car allowance are all good. Leadership is changed frequently within functions which leads to changes in direction and lack of continuity, albeit the overall leadership quality at senior levels is OK. Work life balance is what you want it to be.

Cons

Lower level management are stuck in the 70's. Lots of old boys club activity seen with jobs going to someone who may not be best for the role. People there to pick up the money until they retire leads to a negative environment with lack of innovation.

Change is good. Trying to maintain how things have always been done is not. You must buy into and support innovation and accept that evolution has to happen.

awesome experience

Former Employee - Senior Engg  in  Newyork, Scotland
    Former Employee - Senior Engg in Newyork, Scotland

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

it deals with research in technology

Cons

competition is here .so,get ready to work hard

Satisfactory

I have been working at AT&T for more than a year

Pros

Good chance for advancement
    Around very knowledgeable people

Cons

Tons of bureaucracy
    Old school principles

Check agile principles/ update systems

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic Oppurtunity for the future

I have been working at AT&T full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of experience with wast amount of different technologies

Cons

Too long working hours if doing 24x7

Happy with management. They are not pushy and they are easy going

Network Engineer

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in London, England

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good life/work balance. Large multi-national company and global telecommunications provider. Well oiled internal staff management.

Cons

Not enough interaction with colleague in the office, limited opportunities for international assignments, less opportunities in the UK as emphasis on resourcing from cheaper cost centres (e.g. India or Eastern Europe)

Big learning cure. big targets but good opportunity.

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Quality brand, big investor (in services and people), quality products.

Cons

Still too US focused. Big learning cure to understand/work internal processes. Limited carear prospects outside US.

Accountant at AT&T in Uk

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Accountant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big established world number one telecommunication company.

Cons

Segregation of duty is down to details.

NA

Stay for the money. Leave to get some respect.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Good pay, Great perks, Especially if you are a manager

Cons

Plenty. But mainly stems from a disrespect of people. This leads to all kinds of unnecessary behaviour, like cloak and dagger business change plans, subverting line management, hiding bad decisions as a "need to know", calling people victims when it is clear a denial of accountability for actions.

Show some respect. Give your people ownership and accountability. Then your business will run.

Big company, good benefits, Director level needs to be more realistic

Current Employee - Network Operations Manager  in  Havant, England
    Current Employee - Network Operations Manager in Havant, England

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

They offer a good benefits package, with ample vacation. There is a flexibility to work changeable hours if you need to leave early or come in late, and generally treated as a professional without too much complaint. However, senior manager has been heard to state " Im the teacher, you are the schoolkids" which is not a phrase a good leader should ever utilise.
    Team cohesiveness is great, the average engineer has a teamspirit that keeps everyone going. Everyone chips in to help each other, to achieve the goals laid down. Relaxed environment, always able to fit in short pieces of "personal" activities during a day without complaint.

Cons

Expectation to give up personal life to meet senior management expectations. They dont want to hear "cant".
    Have a need to have "Yes Men" in significant positions, and do not take kindly to realistic communications sometimes

Listen better to your teams. If they say something cant be done, it usually has a very good reason. We want to succeed, without breaking the customer, and this is often overridden.

Very Satisfied

Current Employee - HR-Benefits  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - HR-Benefits in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a growing, diverse company, with many benefits in addition to a good salary and bonuses. Although they have restructured their bonus system in the last year, it is still a very fair way of compensating employees. They spend money on training and keeping us up to date on our skills set. Most management is approachable with issues you might have that need to be worked out. They have started Employee Engagement Surveys which really help them focus on what we as employees are thinking and how they can approach solutions.

Cons

In the past there has not been a clear path to getting the "next job" or promotion. It's a hit or miss approach. Recently, they put in place more of an outline of what you need to do to get your next new job or promotion, but the promotion aspect of the job is not one that is in line with more responsibility translates into an automatic raise. You have to wait for the annual review, so you are stuck in maybe getting an increase once a year, and it is usually not even keeping up with the rate of inflation. We have union employees, so every three years or so, we have to train for completely different jobs to take over their slots in case of a strike. These jobs are totally out of our realm of experience or expertise, and we are required to train for them while keeping up with our own work load at the same time. There is still this stigma that if your boss does not want to release you to a new job or promotion, they can deny you moving to an opportunity, which I think just translates into bosses not wanting to let go of great team members, instead of exercising their leadership skills in developing their team members to move on and ahead. They don't want to lose their good workers. I don't think that releaseability should be left solely to their whims.

Take more of an attitude of developing your team members into the next opportunity. This strengthens the company and lends itself to great employee relations. You are on the right track with recent developments in that area. I come to work to make a living primarily, but also to do a good job for you, so help me do both.

Worked for AT&T? Contribute to the Community!