AT&T

6,106 Reviews

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson
2,861 Ratings

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are pretty impressive for the amount of work that's required (in 316 reviews)

• Work life balance is fantastic - they never interfere in my free time (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • However what they don't advertise is the absolutely horrendous work/life balance (in 275 reviews)

• Upper management will throw store management under the bus to look good to RSC's (in 294 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment with many informative managers

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy coming to work everyday....its something I look forward to. This company is the first I have ever had that makes me feel like I count and matter. I have worked for quite a few companies who couldn't care less about you. Great salary, commissions and overtime pay.

Cons

Can't think of anything yet.

Mixed Bag

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay scale in midwest

Cons

hard to advance from entry level

Great.

Current Employee - AT&T Mobility RSC in Danbury, CT (US)
    Current Employee - AT&T Mobility RSC in Danbury, CT (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, hard work but definitely worth the pay.

Cons

The goals you have to hit are a little bit high but definitely attainable.

Technical Architect in IT Department for 24 years

Former Employee - Professional - Technical Architect in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Professional - Technical Architect in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, great benefits, tuition reimbursement, overall good working environment, talented top-notch employees.

Cons

Must be able to handle constant change. Getting too bogged down in extensive software documents required in development life cycle to the detriment of producing actual software products. Very complex IT system to understand. Lots of outsourcing and offshoring going on in IT.

Streamline the amount of documents needed in software development life cycle, so that time can spent in actual software development. Recognize knowledge of employees who know your systems and how they interact, and reward those employees instead of outsourcing them to companies who will offshore their jobs.

Great experience

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful training and professional experience.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities. Frequent leadership changes.

Marketing communicaitons role at AT&T.

Current Employee - Lead Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff of people, fantastic medical benefits. The company encouraged creative, group thinking - productivity developed by energized teams meeting and bouncing ideas off of each other.

Cons

Relocation. AT&T has decided that all of the business marketing members should be centrally located in Dallas Texas. Again, pushing the idea that by having everyone in an Office 2020 (open office, no cubes, no offices) it leads to better productivity.

Pros and cons

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Brandon, FL (US)
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Brandon, FL (US)

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent job security as you're unionized. Depending on management you have a lot of freedom. You can walk in making good money with no experience. Regular raises and time off adjustments with seniority. Great benefits.

Cons

A bad manager can make every day miserable. Schedules are based on business needs and seniority. Don't plan on a weekend day off your first two years there if it's not paid time off. Commission is based in multipliers so you can miss your sales goals and be down 1000$ for the month. Customers come first, even if you're right. Customers make it soul sucking work.

Good experience overall

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Union City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Union City, CA (US)

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation for the position is way above other retail sales positions. Nice that you get hourly wage and commission.

Work life balance is good.

Company was good about telling employees what they were looking for in management. Plenty of upward trajectories within my store.

Discounts on wireless service, u-verse, accessories, and digital life for employees.

Cons

Expect to work 45-50 hours if you're full-time and you want to meet quota.

Sales positions in general are not for everyone.

Micro-attention to all of your sales metrics. Goals change month to month.

I had great management at my store. I would recommend that others follow their style:

-Support your team when customers act like jerks.

-Ask for their honest concerns/feelings about new products, show employees how to overcome objections by example.

-Competitions (with prizes!!) within the store for meeting sales goals was nice. Made work more fun.

It's not for sensitive people who don't like hard selling to customers.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocala, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocala, FL (US)

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of pros. You get plenty of paid time off, you are able to choose a 4X10 schedule with 3 days off. The pay is great and you get lots of incentives for sales you make on top of commission.

Cons

The stress level. You have to understand corporate America and how to work it in your favor. If you take things personally you may crumble. You're being yelled at by customers while your supervisor or rep assists are behind you telling you what to do even if you know what you're doing. The ability to make quick decisions under pressure and ability to multitask with 7 or more systems running, type, talk, and listen is a must.

Don't pour the stress you're getting into your reps. You need them to be comfortable and confident to make the sales that make you money. Their metrics are impossible to achieve 100%. To meet one metric you have to miss another. Keep the stress from upper management away from your reps and keep them confident. Criticsm is sometimes needed but keep it professional and respectful. If you make your reps not like you they're probably not going to respect you it get the numbers for you.

Fantastic company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Good Time off policy
    Good compensation

Cons

Little unorganized
    Too many process