AXA Advisors

Be The First To
Add Photos

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries

Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible hours most of the time (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary offered in Manasquan (in 8 reviews)

• Sell to family and friends" marketing mentality (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Hit and Miss

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Phila, PA (US)

ProsGood product mix to offer customers and there are some decent advisors that are willing to partner with you knowing that it benefits them and the company.

ConsUltimately you are on an island. For all the talk of great training, reputation, and support you are expected to do the classic "hit up your family/friends/previous co-workers" to get business and then work on referrals. You will find that on the insurance side that there is a long time frame before you get paid. very frustrating

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some ownership with the people you bring in the company because the place is turnover-city. Brutal the way people work hard and nobody seems to care if they stay: stop parroting the company line and the formula for success when it really depends upon the partnership of senior advisors working with new people to get them through the first 2 years while they develop their own personal markets.

Good experience, but moving on

Financial Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt was a good place to start after college. Learned a lot about different product platforms and underwriting process. Was able to arrange time off to travel.

ConsIt feels as though you never "arrived" or accomplished anything since the tasks/processes are continual. Also bad pay and benefits are at the whim of the employer you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn HR department and corporate to invest in administrative support for Advisors. Advisors are great at seller, but more often than not bad at managing.

Good place to learn the basics.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Columbia, MD (US)

ProsGood basic training to get acquainted with financial services. If you're a "drink the Kool-Aid" sort of person, you'll fit right in.

ConsCrummy products to sell. Good people come and go. Sketchy people make a career there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Bad At All

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities for hard workers.

ConsLots of hours are needed and expected, but not required management.

If it sounds too good to be true, it's probably not true...

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsYou can definitely make a lot of money, if you choose to focus on the life insurance side of the business (which they heavily encourage/promote). It really does feel like running your own business, complete autonomy.

ConsOne of the most challenging career choices one can take on, very high fail rate. You will burn through you savings/ go into debt just to get started since its commission based. Predominated focuses on risk management/insurances.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire recent college grads since most don't have savings to give them fair chance to get started in the business.

Not Quite a pyramid scheme, but. . .

Financial Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGood resources to get started. You control your own schedule. They hire people with no previous experience. I met some great people there (who have all left).

ConsThere is a very high liklihood that you're going to get a ton of accounts and end up turning them over to your manager when you leave. They really push proprietary products. If you don't sell AXA products you're not going to have benefits. When you compare AXA compensation to what you get as an independent advisor you'll be shocked by how much AXA DOESN't pay their advisors.

Take Initiative

Intern (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat people to work with and it's a nice balance between professionalism and having fun. As an intern you aren't disrespected and you can become part of the team if you want to be. Do your work, don't complain and they'll appreciate you, the work isn't too complicated. You can attend client meetings as well, but you have to ask-again take initiative. They are very lax with students and you can rearrange your schedule, they don't mind if you take a day off or two for tests or other things.

ConsThere isn't really much formal training so you have to quickly pick up things yourself and take initiative to learn. Also the internship isn't really on a track for a financial advisor role, I look at it more as a way to potentially get hired or make connections. Again if you want to learn things about being an advisor you have to take initiative and ask A LOT of questions.
    If you aren't into learning or selling insurance, this isn't the right place to learn about other investment services. Yes they do money management and other things, but it is very limited and again you to have actively search for someone who actually does those things and work with them.
    Sometimes it's hard to look at your day and say "wow I just gained an invaluable amount of knowledge", but then again you are just an intern.. This goes back to the grooming aspect

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with interns to grow them into the advisors you want them to be. It's almost like you're expecting them to leave, when you should be courting them to stay. There are may areas for improvement that the branch can take:
    -utilize intern to make you more money, phone calls, scheduling reviews, gathering client information
    -Stress how much money you can make from a given client or case
    -Make them smarter and more knowledgeable than when they walked in by providing classes/presentations specifically for interns.

Awesome if your district and branch managers are good

Financial Consultant - Sales Force Associate (Current Employee)

Pros-This is going to depend entirely on which branch you're based out of but the leadership is friendly and there are always people looking to help anyone who's new.
    -Lot's of flexibility with hours and time off
    -Eat what you kill (commission; "pro" if you're good)
    -Unlimited earning potential

Cons-Not a 40 hours a week/9-5 job. If you want to survive, you'll work at least 50 every week.
    -Eat what you kill (commission)
    -Lots of "no", you have to have thick skin
    -High rate of attrition (same as anyone in the business)

advisor

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosgreat place to work good people

Consmoney not great but if you work hard you can make bank

Advice to Senior Managementbe willing to put in time

Lots of potential & good training but have deep pockets for your first few years

Financial Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsIt all depends on the manager of the branch. No company can dictate the culture of a local agency, so check out your VP and local culture. My branch was big on joint work, so expect to split commissions. Good training for those new to the business, company paid travel to training in NY during 2nd year. Good wholesalers, insurance and investment. Good products with option to go outside brokerage (limited crump) on insurance products if needed. Technology is decent, e-apps and salesforce. LPL is behind on adapting site to iPad.o

ConsBrand recognition in US, which can be important to newbies, continues to be a challenge. Expenses can be high (E&O, appointments, limited free marketing materials, purchase your own computer & stationary, LPL fees, etc). Training was REQUIRED in my branch even if you don't need it, until you hit certain production numbers.
     Joint work is great training, but check out your work partner on FINRA broker check. I didn't and lost a big client (1m aum) because my "expert" joint work partner had a client complaint and I didn't know about it.
    Need a STRONG natural market to approach or lack of filters. Orphan clients have been recycled many many times.

Advice to Senior Managementtraining is good, incorporate some how to run a business (my VP didn't know much about home office deductions for statutory employees). Develop customized training at local branch level to avoid wasting time in training when it's not needed.
    senior company execs can seem a tad conceited - introducing themselves to a room of 100+ advisors with their first names when we have no idea who they are or their position, seemed like we were expected to know.

Worked for AXA Advisors? Contribute to the Community!