AXA Advisors

Be The First To
Add Photos

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries

Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible hours most of the time (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary offered in Manasquan (in 8 reviews)

• Sell to family and friends" marketing mentality (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of potential & good training but have deep pockets for your first few years

Financial Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsIt all depends on the manager of the branch. No company can dictate the culture of a local agency, so check out your VP and local culture. My branch was big on joint work, so expect to split commissions. Good training for those new to the business, company paid travel to training in NY during 2nd year. Good wholesalers, insurance and investment. Good products with option to go outside brokerage (limited crump) on insurance products if needed. Technology is decent, e-apps and salesforce. LPL is behind on adapting site to iPad.o

ConsBrand recognition in US, which can be important to newbies, continues to be a challenge. Expenses can be high (E&O, appointments, limited free marketing materials, purchase your own computer & stationary, LPL fees, etc). Training was REQUIRED in my branch even if you don't need it, until you hit certain production numbers.
     Joint work is great training, but check out your work partner on FINRA broker check. I didn't and lost a big client (1m aum) because my "expert" joint work partner had a client complaint and I didn't know about it.
    Need a STRONG natural market to approach or lack of filters. Orphan clients have been recycled many many times.

Advice to Senior Managementtraining is good, incorporate some how to run a business (my VP didn't know much about home office deductions for statutory employees). Develop customized training at local branch level to avoid wasting time in training when it's not needed.
    senior company execs can seem a tad conceited - introducing themselves to a room of 100+ advisors with their first names when we have no idea who they are or their position, seemed like we were expected to know.

make sure you're ready

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat products great company one of the largest finance companies in the world.

Consits difficult to get started in this industry make sure you are ready when considering this as a career choice.

growing experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsDespite the cons, it's definitely a place where you'll experience the most character development. It'll force you to either give up the comfort of a high paycheck in the beginning or to have you reach out and network with people you never thought you would talk to for life. But through these processes, it's personal growth and relationship building, whether you made a sale or not at the end of the day. Plus as AXA advertises, it's not about selling but about helping, which I genuinely believe it's true otherwise I would've never even stepped in this industry if the company or the industry is not filled with people who are kind at heart. I was there for 6 months but I believe I've seen both the goods and the bads. I still believe given the motivation and passion in insurance and retirement planning and a kind heart, you will succeed. Also you will meet some of the smartest coworkers because they all have good degrees. Despite the fact that most people don't make it, those that do are high-achieving and intelligent.

ConsIt's more on you to make a difference. Not so much relying on the manager or the company to push you. No parking. No base salary in the beginning. A lot of cold-calling before successfully building that referral network.
    Definitely not for everyone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Helpful if you get the right mentor

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsDefinitely not a job for someone straight out of college to get into unless you are willing to really bust your butt and probably be broke for a year or two. If you are willing to put all the effort into it, you WILL get results but until then, its really rough.

ConsDepending on your mentor, your experience here may be a complete waste of time. If your mentor does suck, go latch on to somebody else.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes interns are replaceable but treat them well and you can help them help you! Its a win-win situation!

Bad experience waste of time

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

ProsBig company. Not many pros unfortunately. Great location.

Consmany false promises to get you in. Didnt deliver promises. Left you alone to do business like independent not office support as promised. Push there products not real full service and brokerage as claimed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new manager. Get new life in the office. Do you really want to grow with new people? or just numbers game.

Karr Barth/AXA Advisors

Financial Consultant (Current Employee) Bala Cynwyd, PA (US)

ProsKarr Barth is one of the top AXA offices in the country for good reason. The training is second to none; coming from another broker/dealer and new to the business, the training I received and continue to receive at Karr Barth is amazing. Management does an extremely good job assisting new advisors in launching their business.

ConsBeing an advisor is extremely difficult--no one at Karr Barth will try and hide that from you. It is difficult for good reason, however. Other reviews cite having to pay for licensing or tapping your "natural market" as negatives. Launching a business that holds a tangible value has a cost up front. However, having ownership over your own business allows you the freedom to be as successful or unsuccessful as you want to be--there is no ceiling.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Lacking professionalism

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe ability to build a network. Learn about front-office work. Flexible hours. Great location in Midtown.

ConsOffice culture: lacking professionalism. Testosterone-filled. Loud, inappropriate banter. Inappropriate dress-code. Unpaid. Indifferent managers who want to maximize profit earning potential. Leaves intern with mundane business development work where the intern does not gain any knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees and interns better. Don't hire incompetent employees who spend more time gossiping than working.

As long as you are aware there is no job security

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGood training and the ability to earn an excellent income with hard work. Flexibility in working hours although you will probably work far more hours than in a traditional job.

ConsYou are encouraged to believe that you are starting your own business, but the business is always theirs.
    Selling life insurance and annuities produces renewals that are supposed to be with you as long as the business is on the books and as long as you are vested. There is a small pension, but the allure of the insurance business is that your renewals will be your true pension. The contract you sign says that at some point the renewals become "service fees". Even if you are still servicing the clients and have your licence, you must still must produce new business or they will terminate you and you will lose all "service fees". that you have built up over the years and "your" clients will be given to other agents or retained by the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew business should not be required of a representative after an agent reaches 65 and signs retirement papers. . If the agent is compliant and servicing his business he should not be required to go out and hustle new business. Terminating these representatives, not allowing the client to be serviced by their trusted adviser and absorbing their hard earned fees is tantamount to stealing. I would say that you should find a firm that actually lets you keep your clients as long as you are vested and able to service their accounts.

If you work hard you will be compensated.

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGrowth, Independence, Sales Driven, Pays well

ConsNot much help, Need to work with others

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the younger guys more tools for success

Marketing Internship

Marketing (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsEasy-going, non micromanaging and generally friendly working environment. The people are nice and encouraging. Not a bad place to start a career out of school.

ConsThe pay is very low starting. It is hard to get clients and very little to no training is provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what the job can offer before offering the job.

Worked for AXA Advisors? Contribute to the Community!