AXA Advisors

Updated 27 January 2015
3.3

AXA Advisors Chairman and CEO Henri de Castries
Henri de Castries

Pros
  • You can make a lot of money if you are truly dedicated and passionate about the job (or about the money) (in 8 reviews)

• Creating your own work schedule/ Flexible Hours (This is not a 8-5 job) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, heavy sales focus, no formal training (in 8 reviews)

• I would suggest buying a book of business, starting from scratch can be daunting (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

If you have ethics this isn't a good place for you.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Potential to make a lot of money, but only if you sell every client an annuity or insurance.

Cons

Management and upper management only care about selling products that aren't in the clients best interests!

Have some ethics and do what's in the clients best interests.

Not much different than most financial advising companies

Former Employee - Financial Professional in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Professional in New York, NY (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The harder you work, the more you will make. Almost entirely commission based
    -If you have a lot of customers/clients from another business who trust you, this job is for you. I would say this is ideal for people with previous sales experience and knows a little about finance. Be prepared to contact all your old clients. If you don't have 50-100 people minimum you have worked/sold for in the past, forget it.

Cons

-sell to your friends and family if you don't have enough former clients
    -rent your office back to you

I really did not agree with AXA Advisors approach to financial planning.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

Flexibility in terms of your schedule. Sky is the limit depending on how hard you want to work.

Cons

They push their proprietary products regardless of what is right for the client.

An annuity isn't always the best option for everyone.

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Professional in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Professional in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to use Network with Insurance and Investments, 401k match group life di. No real schedule you work when your clients need you.

Cons

W-2 vs other networks 1099 pay, health benefits awful, cost of E&O Insurance is outrageous, cost of salesforce and other required CRM is outrageous, minimum requirements to not be fired are high. Opportunity is just that, you still need to go find your clients.

Take away minimum requirements, let us choose our own E&O, and get rid of the W-2 system, I lose 1/3 of my paycheck to the government and they aren't working any harder.

Upstate New York Branches (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany) provide great support for new advisors

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely helpful management team, training is consistent and very useful, income can easily be $100,000+ in first year, love being a part of a team, great benefits, fun work environment, get to help out clients and your work day feels meaningful.

Cons

It can be a lot of hours in the first few years, but this is more of a career that you are building your own financial planning practice. As time goes on the hours become much less. I know the management team here is very selective in who they bring in, so be prepared to show them you are willing to work in the interview process.

Continue with upward mobility for advisors to become managers and build out their own teams.

Starting a career as a Financial Planner/Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Meadville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Meadville, PA (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of any other possible entrepreneurial opportunity where you can begin with no start-up money and build a business that can pay you for what you did year 1, for your whole career. The management team is extremely dedicated to the success of their Advisors. I started in the business over 10 years ago without a strong natural market and was able to build a financial planning practice where I am able to make my own hours, help the people I really care about, and control my income. The atmosphere is very competitive and team oriented and is excellent for previous athletes like myself.

Cons

If you do not want to work a lot of hours at the beginning of your career, or you do not have the entrepreneurial spirit, this is not the place for you. This is a very demanding business and takes a lot of time to build. There is times you have to invest in yourself and your business, so if you do not want to spend your own money to help yourself grow, this will be a bad fit as well.

Financial Planning Career

Current Employee - Financial Professional in Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Professional in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Highly Supportive Management Team (Endless, great training!)
    -Ability to make A LOT of money (paid for what you do)
    -Flexible Hours (able to go home, kids games, functions whenever I want)
    -Building a business
    -Teamwork and a great culture
    -The Branch that I work in is a Top 10 Branch in the Country
    -Management is very selective in who they hire

Cons

-Hard To Get Going (took me 2 years to break 100k, which felt like forever)
    -Worked 60-70 Hours Per Week for 3 Years
    -Management Has High Expectations of Associates (this can be a pro I guess)
    -Can be difficult to "get in"

From my experience the management was fantastic. They helped me get up and running and now act more as a consultant for my business. Each of them have been "through the ranks" and have done what the new advisors are expected to do....they have walked the walk, which I appreciate.

Do not work here

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee

I worked at AXA Advisors

Pros

Great industry, nice offices, enthusiastic managers

Cons

no base salary, have to pay for everything to work here including desk, phone, printer, COMPANY SOFTWARE.

Actually do something

Good products, but terrible training

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at AXA Advisors as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Some very competitively priced life products. Note that you do not have to work for AXA Advisors to sell their products.
    The company will (eventually) reimburse you for exam costs (series 7, 66) but only after successfully passing and only after successfully securing a contract with the company.

Cons

Securing a contract consists of bringing in a minimum amount of business in before you are an official employee. Whereas other insurance-oriented companies will provide training and a starter salary, AXA provides little and none of the same. Training varies wildly from manager to manager, and many managers are not very qualified to train in the first place, as they are usually not the top talent. Instead, for being willing to take on new candidates and hires, they have something of an advantage in gaining your clients when you fail to make numbers, which you must do each quarter - otherwise, you are fired. Yes, despite all of your pay coming in from insurance/annuity commissions, you WILL be fired if you cannot make numbers, despite the llack of training or new business leads from AXA.

AXA was apparently once known for training new employees well. Now, with training done so abysmally, anyone who succeeds at AXA would likely have found success at any run-of-the-mill insurance company. The fail rate of new hires at this company is spectacular - probably comparable to Edward Jones.

Internship

I worked at AXA Advisors as an intern

Pros

Internship program was a lot of fun, but didn't provide much insight into how being financial advisor would be.

Cons

Doesn't portray the financial industry at all for someone trying gain experience.