Abercrombie & Fitch

2,424 Reviews

Abercrombie & Fitch Chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries
1,337 Ratings

Pros
  • Working with generally cool good looking people is a perk (in 49 reviews)

• The store is small so it's easy to manage so it's a very laid back job (in 121 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time workers get minimum wage (i've never heard of any models getting a raise) (in 250 reviews)

• Work-life balance varies based on how much time you are willing to make for personal activities (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

It is boring to do nothing.

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can do nothing all day and get paid(Min, Wage) for it. Flexible schedule.

Cons

By not doing anything and knowing it is not a career, folding clothes is not fun.

Give leadership roles to those that do something at the job, and don't just stand there.

Atore manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

The people who work for you

Cons

The companys standards on hiring

I enjoyed working as and Assistant Manager because I enjoyed learning about working with associates.

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

International; Travel opportunities; Different every day

Cons

Not diverse; Favoritism; Long hours

Truly appreciated! Great company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

Great job building fundamentals and training

Cons

Salary
    Retail hours

Keep up the good work!

If you aren't gorgeous, don't work here.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For me a pro was the atmosphere. I loved the loud music and dark lighting and the fragrance didn't bother me. I loved the clothes too.

The other pro was the people. Got to meet really awesome people and made friends.

The amount of responsibility and power you have over running the store is awesome too. A good place to learn management skills.

Benefits were pretty good.

Cons

A lot here... First off the pay is atrocious for a position that requires a bachelors degree. The pay is not negotiable. It's 28,000 per year in most places. In some cities it pays a little more but never more than 32,000 for an assistant manager.

What you look like will determine everything with your career here. When you start as a manager they take your picture. The DM then has to submit this picture and your Regional Manager and all the other DMs in the region will assign you a score 1-5 based on your appearance. They will discuss how you look and then determine you as "high potential" or "low potential" based on what you look like. Only very attractive people will be high potential. This is all secretive and they don't tell managers about this process. Girls, they want you tall, thin, with a natural pretty face and natural healthy hair. You can't really wear makeup or dye your hair.
    Guys, you need to be masculine. They discriminate against gay men. They want the stereotypical frat guy that's tall and muscular or fit. Clear skin and classic hair. THEY ARE VERY HARD ON GUYS. You need to have the look. Girls are promoted more often. It's easier for them to fit the image.

High potential managers will be promoted quickly, even if they are mediocre. Low potential managers will not ever be promoted, even if they are great at their job.

They purposefully try to make this job very easy so their good looking people will not quit. You can be mediocre and they won't care as long as you are attractive.

They also obsess over recruiting. You are expected to constantly go on recruiting trips to get part time associates and managers. You recruit by going places and approaching people that have the "look." Problem is, no one wants to work for minimum wage. Even chick fil a pays more. And managers have to have a degree. Educated people don't want to work here either.

Please take my warning and do not work here if you aren't very good looking and physically fit. They only value GREAT looking people.

Other con is the customers, they are pushing and gross. Also, retail hours and all the other retail struggles apply.

Increase pay. Start promoting people based on performance, not what their picture looks like. Be harder on store managers and stop letting them get away with running messy and disfunctional stores.

Model Job Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Albany, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Albany, NY (US)

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Environment was comfortable. I enjoyed the employee Discount. It was easy to fit with my student schedule and they were flexible.

Cons

Managers weren't really helpful to me at all. I was on my own most of the time at my job. Most of my questions got "i don't know" answers and it was frustrating.

In the end, I had to quit because this was not the type of position for me. As a model, we had to mostly stand out front and say hello to costumers and act as a sales associate as well. I was told I had to fit the style of the company and I had to straighten my hair, I'm African-American, in order to fit the company's look. So, I just stopped working there after that day. I don't think anyone should change their image for a job.

Other than that, the job really isn't that bad.

Fun place when you are at the right store

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros

great managers (most of the time) and high expectations

Cons

managers who don't know what they are doing and make your job harder

Inside look at retail run by 20-some year olds

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of the best things for young people working at this company is the networking. You get to work with others who have just finished high school or currently attend college, meaning you'll have a lot of common ground when it comes to interests, education, and career. You also receive 30 percent discounts off the sticker price. This helps because they want you to come to work with their merchandise. I think it's relaxing that you can come to work in relaxing dress clothes. You may be limited to the shoes you can wear though, most likely Converse or flip flops.

Cons

This varies with everybody, but my manager was probably the worst I have ever had in my four years of job experience. I believe it was because she was a recent college graduate who had to co-manage the whole store on Broadway. She often took out her stress on everybody in the morning but as the day progressed, she cooled down and tried to be funny (which was funny in itself). Don't get me wrong, I keep a professional attitude and do not talk bad about anybody. But she hated me for the littlest things, like not redecorating the closets in 40 minutes when I actually took 45. So all in all, higher-ups can be a drag. Unfortunately, your hours will vary greatly depending whether or not they like you,

Another thing is the atmosphere. The place is huge, but you cannot avoid the dim lighting or the loads of cologne they spray in every room. I got headaches sometimes, so be wary. If you can handle this, no problem then.

Works you to the bone but teaches you how to run a business

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great people, relaxed atmosphere, thorough manager in training program, great benefits & PTO

Cons

long hours, extremely high standards with not enough resources, low paying considering the amount of work

Higher ups need to be more realistic about running business successfully and not worry about keeping the "standard" - who cares if a table isn't perfectly folded as long as the customers are happy?

Good job for younger kids.

Former Employee - Impact Team Member/Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member/Sales Associate

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was my first job and I ended up making a lot of friends that I still hang out with to this day. Friendly environment.

Cons

Very low wages, even for retail. I also did not agree with some of the company values. They value good looking people vs good workers. No room at all for growth. Hours were constantly cut because corporate does not know how to run the company.

I advise that corporate actually put time into fixing their broken system.

Abercrombie & Fitch Photos