Accelrys

Accelrys President, CEO, and Director Scipio M. (Max) Carnecchia

Scipio M. (Max) Carnecchia

18 great years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

ProsTerrific people, all committed to making great products. Good scientists, very open atmosphere for discussions etc. Company looks after people quite well, lots of events/things going on. Good mix of scientists and engineers, very young and driven workforce. Very international too.

ConsHave to find 20 words - not easy. It is a great place!

Interesting place for short term work. Don't expect long-term stability.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

ProsGreat colleagues, and collegial environment. Interesting product portfolio. Location is good.

ConsThere is a large disconnect between executive management & real issues in workforce.
    The Workplace is under-resourced for the set objectives in all departments. The company has experienced annual redundancies (7 years running) & struggles for profitability. The lack of financial stability leads to limited growth & development opportunities. Annual Salary adjustments do not keep up with inflation. Human resources management is quite poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more open & receptive communication with workforce. Work on focused strategy & reasonable objectives for work force.

Changes are the constant

Director of Product Management (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsPassion of the people and diversity in corporate culture make Accelrys a high energy environment. Leadership is focused and demanding which is why the company has been able to execute so well in such a tough market filled with competition.

ConsLike all places, corporate politics and opinions can shape directions and careers. Being able to march to a drum that is off-beat can be difficult.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well run.

Director of Product Management (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

ProsGreat science. Good people. Lots of moving parts to integrate, but a good team of execs workingon making it happen. Messy at times, but overall for the greater good.

Conslots of change in today's world so for folks uneasy with change, not a smooth ride

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work, but remember the "little people"

Challenging environment - crazy work hours

ProsChallenging environment, Decent compensation,Great colleagues.

ConsFewer resources force employees to work crazy hours. they have more than regular lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to have a solid direction and work on implementing it.

Politics, no appreciation for long term customers, killing most important product lines

Manager (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

ProsGood place for people who can handle changes in direction on a regular basis and know how to handle politics.

ConsCompany is wrought with politics. They only care about M&A's and positioning themselves to be sold. They don't appreciate long-term employees and are not thinking of products that customers rely on heavily. They think that R&D employees are easily replaced instead of recognizing the complexity of work experience the products require.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure people in headquarters work with people in remote offices and that they don't ignore or sabotage them. Stop promoting people who are not respected by your employees. Don't forget your Cheminformatics baseline.

Ten years with the company(s)

ProsMarket leading product suite, interesting science-centric domain, strong team of contributors.

ConsKnee-jerk reactions to problems often resulting in blindly prescribed, process-intense "solutions".

Advice to Senior ManagementUse common sense.

Nice & Friendly Environment

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

Pros1.Smart professionals.
    2. Friendly work environment.
    3. Happy Hour on Thursday
    4. Lots of projects to work on.
    5. Provide training
    6. Flexible hours

It's a great place to work on new projects. Management will support training to deploy new technologies. Everyone works hard and have been there for years.

Cons1. Work long hours.
    2. Team gets consolidated to smaller group yearly.
    3. Outsource work to India.

If you like a fast pace environment, heavy workload, with little rewards; this is a place to be. Here you'll learn how to manage your time.

Good Company, Growing Fast

ProsSmart people and interesting work.

ConsYou have to be a self-starter.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to engage more with employees

A company that truly respects and appreciates your contributions

Software Support Specialist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThe best thing from my own experience, is that they don't micro-manage you. They hire you to do the job and don't feel the need to hover over you to ensure you get it done. They provide a friendly open environment where everyone works together, without a defined hierarchy. You are treated as an equal by everyone, regardless of the initials that follow their name. They strive to provide a relaxed atmosphere and grant employees opportunities to have fun with their co-workers, whether it be at the weekly on site happy hours, to the amenities like, pool table, shuffleboard and Foosball or the full gym and basketball court. I also like the relaxed dress code.

ConsHonestly, I haven't found any. I'll update my review should I stumble across something later.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. You've assembled an eclectic group of people that are on board with the companies goals and work to continue pushing us forward.

Worked for Accelrys? Contribute to the Community!