Accelrys

Scipio M. (Max) Carnecchia

18 great years

Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Accelrys full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTerrific people, all committed to making great products. Good scientists, very open atmosphere for discussions etc. Company looks after people quite well, lots of events/things going on. Good mix of scientists and engineers, very young and driven workforce. Very international too.

ConsHave to find 20 words - not easy. It is a great place!

Interesting place for short term work. Don't expect long-term stability.

Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Accelrys

ProsGreat colleagues, and collegial environment. Interesting product portfolio. Location is good.

ConsThere is a large disconnect between executive management & real issues in workforce.
The Workplace is under-resourced for the set objectives in all departments. The company has experienced annual redundancies (7 years running) & struggles for profitability. The lack of financial stability leads to limited growth & development opportunities. Annual Salary adjustments do not keep up with inflation. Human resources management is quite poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more open & receptive communication with workforce. Work on focused strategy & reasonable objectives for work force.

Well run.

Director of Product Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Accelrys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat science. Good people. Lots of moving parts to integrate, but a good team of execs workingon making it happen. Messy at times, but overall for the greater good.

Conslots of change in today's world so for folks uneasy with change, not a smooth ride

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work, but remember the "little people"

Challenging environment - crazy work hours

I have been working at Accelrys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChallenging environment, Decent compensation,Great colleagues.

ConsFewer resources force employees to work crazy hours. they have more than regular lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to have a solid direction and work on implementing it.

Politics, no appreciation for long term customers, killing most important product lines

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Accelrys full-time

ProsGood place for people who can handle changes in direction on a regular basis and know how to handle politics.

ConsCompany is wrought with politics. They only care about M&A's and positioning themselves to be sold. They don't appreciate long-term employees and are not thinking of products that customers rely on heavily. They think that R&D employees are easily replaced instead of recognizing the complexity of work experience the products require.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure people in headquarters work with people in remote offices and that they don't ignore or sabotage them. Stop promoting people who are not respected by your employees. Don't forget your Cheminformatics baseline.

Ten years with the company(s)

I have been working at Accelrys full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMarket leading product suite, interesting science-centric domain, strong team of contributors.

ConsKnee-jerk reactions to problems often resulting in blindly prescribed, process-intense "solutions".

Advice to Senior ManagementUse common sense.

Nice & Friendly Environment

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Accelrys full-time

Pros1.Smart professionals.
2. Friendly work environment.
3. Happy Hour on Thursday
4. Lots of projects to work on.
5. Provide training
6. Flexible hours

It's a great place to work on new projects. Management will support training to deploy new technologies. Everyone works hard and have been there for years.

Cons1. Work long hours.
2. Team gets consolidated to smaller group yearly.
3. Outsource work to India.

If you like a fast pace environment, heavy workload, with little rewards; this is a place to be. Here you'll learn how to manage your time.

Good Company, Growing Fast

I have been working at Accelrys full-time

ProsSmart people and interesting work.

ConsYou have to be a self-starter.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to engage more with employees

A company that truly respects and appreciates your contributions

Software Support Specialist (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Accelrys full-time for less than a year

ProsThe best thing from my own experience, is that they don't micro-manage you. They hire you to do the job and don't feel the need to hover over you to ensure you get it done. They provide a friendly open environment where everyone works together, without a defined hierarchy. You are treated as an equal by everyone, regardless of the initials that follow their name. They strive to provide a relaxed atmosphere and grant employees opportunities to have fun with their co-workers, whether it be at the weekly on site happy hours, to the amenities like, pool table, shuffleboard and Foosball or the full gym and basketball court. I also like the relaxed dress code.

ConsHonestly, I haven't found any. I'll update my review should I stumble across something later.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. You've assembled an eclectic group of people that are on board with the companies goals and work to continue pushing us forward.

Politically Charged - Disfunctional Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Accelrys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place for PhD scientists in chemistry and materials science - a good launchpad for for college grads with PhD.

ConsCompany is wrought with politics. The Scietigic (acquisition) folks create a caustic environment and fight against the rest of Accelrys. HR is one of the worst in the industry - very political. The company is hardly growing. Most of the products are not doing well and it is very difficult to grow within the firm. Most people learn at Accelrys and then get better and more senior roles elsewhere

Hiring and firing is very subjective - you could be the best at what you do but if HR does not like you, they can get rid of you.

I resigned from the firm as I found better opportunities. others were not that lucky.

Advice to Senior Management1. Integrate the company so ti behaves as one. The scietigic employees are destroying Accelrys - even though they brought Pipeline pilot product to you.

2. Know how to identify good talent ans retain it

3. Reconsider who is running your HR.

4. Focus on Business Growth and not on internal politics

Worked for Accelrys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accelrys reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Accelrys CEO Scipio M. (Max) Carnecchia. All 32 reviews are posted anonymously by Accelrys employees.