Accenture

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme

Pierre Nanterme

(2,750 ratings)

7,171 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work Life balance, Easy to commute as good connectivity of shuttles across the city"
    in 431 reviews
  • "Good work culture, Vast training programmes, inter -technology & domain shifting"
    in 415 reviews
Cons:
  • "Don't respect work life balance or personal commitments unless you have kids"
    in 850 reviews
  • "No work-life balance for consultants trying to make it up the ranks to Managing Directors"
    in 143 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Once loved the company, but over time it has lost its shine as poor work/life balance wore me down.

Consultant (Current Employee)
Manchester, England

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany passionate about its diversity and always striving to do better. Strong leaders who are dedicated, compassionate and value their people. Many people in the company are bright, driven, hard-working and inspiring. Innovation and collaboration is valued and encouraged. A lot of interesting projects and challenging roles. Opportunity to shape your career and change directions. Exposure to a range of work and clients. Good investment in training and development. A place to build skills and experience quickly.

ConsLong hours (overtime is expected on every role - no one works their contractual hours) and terrible work-life balance. Some roles involve considerable travel and living out of a suitcase can become exhausting and is not sustainable long-term. The Performance Management process is awful - the company aims to be a meritocracy, but there is a lot of luck involved (timing, manager, project dynamics) and it can become very competitive and at times bitchy. Some people are not recognised for their true contribution, particularly if they have had a non-standard situation during the period e.g. part-time working, returned from maternity, been unwell etc. If you want to succeed you need to be prepared to walk over other people. Process and policy can sometimes be lip-service and the reality does not always live up to the promise.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on ensuring the meritocracy that you speak of exists in reality - reform the performance management process. Continue to support diversity within the company and maintain the positive culture - challenge those who do not value or support this. Look at ways to make flexible working an option for junior consultants as well as those in senior or Enterprise roles.

Great place to gain experience and guidance

London, England

I worked at Accenture as a contractor for more than a year

ProsPeople are fantastic to work with, the culture was great to be part of. The role was very varied which helped build new incredibly useful skill set

ConsSometimes work life balance was very uneven, having to work late nights and start early mornings,

All round a positive experience

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Accenture full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits: Gym, Pension, Company car (Manager level and above), Private health care (paid for £60,000 worth of medical bills, when insurance stopped paying Accenture paid the rest!), some very inspirational people, great social events, you learn a lot, varied work (sometimes interesting, sometimes boring), you work with some of the world's largest companies. Having Accenture on your CV opens a lot of doors for you, just be careful which doors you go through as potential employers will do and say anything to have someone with Accenture experience on their CV.

ConsFor every one good person you meet there are nine not so good people. Depending on what stage of the project you are at, you more often than not will work long hours - especially during project delivery or when you have a rubbish manager who has missed numerous targets and the client is angry. You need to remember, especially as an analyst, that clients are paying upwards of £500 per day for you to be there. So you need to know your stuff, and if you don't, find someone in Accenture's vast network who can educate you, most people will be helpful. Most clients will try and push you to your limit and ask you to go above and beyond. You need to be mindful of your own well being and learn to diplomatically manage expectations. Some members of the client organisation will be keeping a close eye on you, watch out when you take coffee breaks, and if you need to smoke then do it well away from the front door of the client's office. It should go without saying, but stay off Facebook, Twitter etc in the client office. If you feel the need to social network during the day, do it slyly on your phone, in the toilet or at lunch break.

Salaries for an Analyst range between £31-32,000, and for a Consultant £43,000+. Since leaving Accenture I have realised that this is incredibly low for the amount of work you do, and for the qualifications you no doubt have. However, you are in a privileged position if you get a job there to learn a great deal about business, sharpen your relationship management skills and generally be a bit of a boss :).

Some people get put straight into a software / IT testing role, and hate it. It does seem a little strange at first, and if you have a non technical degree it might be difficult to get a grasp of. Testing is the least glamorous. However, I feel that spending a few months doing it is a blessing in disguise as most consulting engagements you will work on throughout your career will have an IT element, knowing about the testing process and it's importance will stand you in good stead, You will need to move on from it though as it get's a little boring, so you need to build a network to utilise to get on other projects. There's no harm in finding a partner of a particular practice and dropping them an email, or even cold calling them. Even the friends you'll make from your start group will be able to help.

The only major problem I have with Accenture is their performance management process, a forced distribution model. Someone has to get the top rating, and someone has to get the bottom rating (it's a little more complex than that). This can create a rather cut-throat atmosphere and I have experienced other people of my level being deliberately unhelpful as a result of this. That said, I worked on some projects where people didn't behave like that so it's luck of the draw.

Overall it's a fantastic experience. I wouldn't want to work for them again, but that's just me. If you have an offer from them, take it. Even if you decide you don't like consulting, there are things you can do there that will stand you in good stead for other career avenues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

A good company to work for

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Exposure to high profile clients
-They invest in training
-You get to work with some really clever people
Certainly a good place to start a career

Cons-There is a lot of travelling, but that is the nature of a consulting career
-The performance management process is not the fairest because you are represented by your current project manager not your counselor in the rating meetings. This means that you can be at a disadvantage if you start a new project a month or two before the end of the performance period.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay thank you a bit more often to show that you appreciate the hard work and long hours that people put in - sometimes this goes a long way than financial rewards.

Software Engineer

I worked at Accenture

Proslots of projects, chance to travel

Consvery low salaries, lack of consistency, expected to take on jobs which you do not want to do, cannot be selective, colleagues are distant, managers are unapproachable, treats employees like they are factory workers almost like a sweatshop. not open to new ideas. Still a very microsoft dependent company. unprofessional atmosphere.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease payscales, provide more professionalism across the company, more ethics, stop treating employees like they are factory workers, provide more options for employees to support their career growth. look to more open source options. be willing to try new things with clients.

Micromanaging, bullying and stressful with a side of endless admin procedures

Candidate Manager (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Accenture full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat brand on you CV
Once you have been there, anything else is actually not that bad nor as stressful

ConsIntimidating and bullying culture.
Lots of mindless admin and convoluted processes procedures.
Blame culture- they are always looking for someone to throw the blame on and it’s all a big covering your back game.
No room for new ideas or independent thought- things are as they are and you jus have to deal with it.
Absolutely no life work balance- it’s extremely long hours, working during weekends is not said but quietly expected and lunch breaks don’t exist. They go as far as saying that if you have 30 minutes to have lunch you don’t have enough work. Your life belongs to the organization.
Big egos that enjoy using heir position of authority to intimidate others.
This might be obvious by now, but there is no interest in employee wellbeing. Nobody cares about you and some managers don’t even acknowledge you existence when you walk into the office unless they need you to do something. The result is low morale, fear, and a very high turnover.
Don’t be fooled by the glossy offices and the high tech look of the place. It is a soulless big corporate where you become another cog in wheel. Utterly soul crushing and negative experience. I have never been so unhappy at a job in my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you all have targets, manage multimillion pound portfolios and all the rest, but your employees are people. Treat them as such

Worst career move

I'd Rather Not Say (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Accenture as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNothing positive unfortunately, apart from non management employees who were all very nice. In my opinion, the communication and morale are both poor. It's a shame, this company used to be excellent by all accounts

ConsMicro management, disorganised, poor communication. Lack of work/life balance. Those that has been with the business a long time seemed regined to that fact of 'this is just how it is'.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more trust in your employees rather than concentrating on their negatives. Invest in good training.

A lot of promise, but ultimately disappointing.

I have been working at Accenture

ProsA wide range of projects, companies, challenges.

ConsMassive company, a lot of politics.

Good brand bad leadership

people

ConsLeadership
Pay is way below market
Work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the politics and actions speak more than words

Great company to work for

I worked at Accenture full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat learning and development, great people to work with, good company perks and reward scheme. Great reputation - very well known company.

ConsToo much change rather than adopting a continuous improvement approach. Need to work on knowledge management and knowledge transfer. Career opportunities limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on knowledge management and knowledge transfer.

Worked for Accenture? Contribute to the Community!

Accenture – Why Work for Us?

Join a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company, with approximately 281,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries. The sheer scale of Accenture’s capabilities and client… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accenture reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme. All 7,171 reviews are posted anonymously by Accenture employees.