Accenture

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme

Pierre Nanterme

(2,749 ratings)

7,161 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work Life balance, Easy to commute as good connectivity of shuttles across the city"
    in 392 reviews
  • "senior employees were very helpful in getting me accustomed to the work culture"
    in 355 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work-life balance for consultants trying to make it up the ranks to Managing Directors"
    in 777 reviews
  • "You work long hours you have to leav the copany sooner or later"
    in 464 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A turbulent career full of highs and lows

Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than a year

ProsAccenture has an amazing client list and they hold good reputations with them. There is flexibility to move between clients/industries if you know how to work the system. Your career is very much in your hands and it is up to you to shape it - no one will be holding your hand.

ConsPerformance management is not handled particularly well but this is understandable given the size of the company. More often than not, the firm feels like a mass production machine.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more visible on projects and not just at events.

Fantastic company to work for and gain experience

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Manchester, England

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou do get good training and working with many clients is a great way to build experience. The internal knowledge base is also very good. Pretty much anything you can think of has been done elsewhere across the world and people are generally very willing to help you do something similar for your client. Generally the best people do get promoted first.

ConsIt is your career and nobody is going to book training for you - you have to be proactive and make that happen (not necessarily a con, more something you need to understand).

Promotions are done as fairly as possible considering the variety of roles Consultants work on but if your line manager doesn't rate you then you are going to lose out against your peers - better to move to a different project in that case. However, don't discount how much work you need to do to ensure that those in the meeting have a good view on what you have done - over and above your line manager.

Finally, Accenture does expect at all levels but particularly as you get more senior to manage a lot of internal work "on the side" in addition to your client role. This is true of all big Consultancies but be prepared for this. It can be quite tough. I can be finishing client work at 7-8pm and then working on Accenture items until midnight-1pm typically at least one to two nights a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore than 10 years after IPO, Accenture is now very much a listed company with shareholders to please. As a result from an accounting perspective reducing salary increases to the next level continually and very limited 'in level' salary increases can make sense on a balance sheet, but culturally undermines the feeling that after all the late nights you are at least getting well paid. Consultancies rely on this so be careful before going much further in this direction.

A lot of opportunities if you're self motivated and a fighter

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company itself had been very good to me. They do look after their people and accommodate them if there is an opportunity to do so and if they like you. The benefits are fairly good, and salary is good too. Leadership can be subjective as there are many different areas in the business that operate pretty silo'ed but overall the support, thought leadership and direction is there. The concept of having a career counsellor is very good as it gives an opportunity for the employees to have a confidential and objective conversation with someone who's not involved in you'd say to day work in order to seek support and advice.

ConsMany complain about work life balance and although I have tried hard not to fall victim of this, the sheer pressure of having to not only achieve but over achieve in order to get ahead is enough to stress you out. You are up against some very bright talented people who are not scared to run over you for a higher place on the ladder or next promotion. Much of my work has been directly for the client which does beg the question of why not just work for them or go independent.

You really need to be strong minded and driven in order to survive in this environment and so it is definitely not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more support and feedback to your employees, it's sometimes better to be approached proactively rather than wait to be asked.

Great foundation for future career, certainly learnt a lot to take me forward

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Accenture full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVaried work, working with high caliber like minded people

ConsFewer consulting opportunities tending towards large SI engagements

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider alternative career paths at key landing points

A great learning experience

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA fantastic firm to start your career
Provides excellent exposure to a range of industries

ConsPoor performance management / promotion process
Once aligned to an area its very difficult to move

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing

Hugely varied career over 20 years across 3 countries

Partner (Former Employee)

I worked at Accenture full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFantastic place to start your career and learn many different skills
Great colleagues and team members to help you deliver interesting projects
One global firm made international work possible and fun

ConsDemanding culture of long hours (not always productive)
Very complicated matrix structure which made decision making slow

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the organisation and bring back the entrepreneurial spark that grew the company

Best for Technology consulting

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAll the big names in industry as clients, large scale transformation projects, compensation is good as long as you join at the right band

ConsLaddering process needs to change, most of the times it is not what you do in your actual job or skills but who knows you matters, also experienced hire people suffer a lot if they join at lower bands and most of the cases they are brought in on lower bands

Advice to Senior Managementchange the laddering process

Good for CV

I have been working at Accenture

ProsCan work on different domain
Best if you work as consultant
Good brains

ConsIn technology salary is not up to the mark.
Politics
Performance system poor
Hr chooses your project if you don't find any in 2 months

Advice to Senior ManagementJust for your promotion and bonus don't push others to put more effort and save money for Accenture

Good starter company but toxic

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIntelligent colleagues
High profile projects
Reasonable pay

Cons- Needs commitment of 55 hours per week (that's 9-7pm + frequent evening schmoozing)
- Staff are seen as disposable commodities; be careful not to get blown in the wind from one project to the next, without building consistent expertise you can take to your next employer.
- Despite glossy case examples, in reality many projects fail to deliver value to clients (3/4 of my teams' project work came to nothing across a number of clients in the first few years). This was through the delivered product not being used, not being thought out properly by management, or the client's technology moving on before the project is finished and thus the work becoming obsolete. This was demotivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear on IT-heavy nature of majority of projects to prospective applicants

Decent student experience

Industrial Placement Programmer (Former Employee)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Accenture part-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary for placement, really fun and interesting colleagues, good challenging work.

ConsThere could be more opportunities to move about.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Accenture? Contribute to the Community!

Accenture – Why Work for Us?

Join a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company, with approximately 281,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries. The sheer scale of Accenture’s capabilities and client… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accenture reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme. All 7,161 reviews are posted anonymously by Accenture employees.