Accenture

3.6 7,987 reviews

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme

Pierre Nanterme

(3,149 ratings)

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 488 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 456 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 971 reviews)

• No work-life balance for consultants trying to make it up the ranks to Managing Directors (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights
7,987 Employee Reviews

Good starter company but toxic

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIntelligent colleagues
    High profile projects
    Reasonable pay

Cons- Needs commitment of 55 hours per week (that's 9-7pm + frequent evening schmoozing)
    - Staff are seen as disposable commodities; be careful not to get blown in the wind from one project to the next, without building consistent expertise you can take to your next employer.
    - Despite glossy case examples, in reality many projects fail to deliver value to clients (3/4 of my teams' project work came to nothing across a number of clients in the first few years). This was through the delivered product not being used, not being thought out properly by management, or the client's technology moving on before the project is finished and thus the work becoming obsolete. This was demotivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear on IT-heavy nature of majority of projects to prospective applicants

Decent student experience

Industrial Placement Programmer (Former Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England

ProsGood salary for placement, really fun and interesting colleagues, good challenging work.

ConsThere could be more opportunities to move about.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

All round a positive experience

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat benefits: Gym, Pension, Company car (Manager level and above), Private health care (paid for £60,000 worth of medical bills, when insurance stopped paying Accenture paid the rest!), some very inspirational people, great social events, you learn a lot, varied work (sometimes interesting, sometimes boring), you work with some of the world's largest companies. Having Accenture on your CV opens a lot of doors for you, just be careful which doors you go through as potential employers will do and say anything to have someone with Accenture experience on their CV.

ConsFor every one good person you meet there are nine not so good people. Depending on what stage of the project you are at, you more often than not will work long hours - especially during project delivery or when you have a rubbish manager who has missed numerous targets and the client is angry. You need to remember, especially as an analyst, that clients are paying upwards of £500 per day for you to be there. So you need to know your stuff, and if you don't, find someone in Accenture's vast network who can educate you, most people will be helpful. Most clients will try and push you to your limit and ask you to go above and beyond. You need to be mindful of your own well being and learn to diplomatically manage expectations. Some members of the client organisation will be keeping a close eye on you, watch out when you take coffee breaks, and if you need to smoke then do it well away from the front door of the client's office. It should go without saying, but stay off Facebook, Twitter etc in the client office. If you feel the need to social network during the day, do it slyly on your phone, in the toilet or at lunch break.

Salaries for an Analyst range between £31-32,000, and for a Consultant £43,000+. Since leaving Accenture I have realised that this is incredibly low for the amount of work you do, and for the qualifications you no doubt have. However, you are in a privileged position if you get a job there to learn a great deal about business, sharpen your relationship management skills and generally be a bit of a boss :).

Some people get put straight into a software / IT testing role, and hate it. It does seem a little strange at first, and if you have a non technical degree it might be difficult to get a grasp of. Testing is the least glamorous. However, I feel that spending a few months doing it is a blessing in disguise as most consulting engagements you will work on throughout your career will have an IT element, knowing about the testing process and it's importance will stand you in good stead, You will need to move on from it though as it get's a little boring, so you need to build a network to utilise to get on other projects. There's no harm in finding a partner of a particular practice and dropping them an email, or even cold calling them. Even the friends you'll make from your start group will be able to help.

The only major problem I have with Accenture is their performance management process, a forced distribution model. Someone has to get the top rating, and someone has to get the bottom rating (it's a little more complex than that). This can create a rather cut-throat atmosphere and I have experienced other people of my level being deliberately unhelpful as a result of this. That said, I worked on some projects where people didn't behave like that so it's luck of the draw.

Overall it's a fantastic experience. I wouldn't want to work for them again, but that's just me. If you have an offer from them, take it. Even if you decide you don't like consulting, there are things you can do there that will stand you in good stead for other career avenues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to gain experience and guidance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsPeople are fantastic to work with, the culture was great to be part of. The role was very varied which helped build new incredibly useful skill set

ConsSometimes work life balance was very uneven, having to work late nights and start early mornings,

A good company to work for

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

Pros-Exposure to high profile clients
    -They invest in training
    -You get to work with some really clever people
    Certainly a good place to start a career

Cons-There is a lot of travelling, but that is the nature of a consulting career
    -The performance management process is not the fairest because you are represented by your current project manager not your counselor in the rating meetings. This means that you can be at a disadvantage if you start a new project a month or two before the end of the performance period.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay thank you a bit more often to show that you appreciate the hard work and long hours that people put in - sometimes this goes a long way than financial rewards.

Worst career move

I'd Rather Not Say (Former Employee) London, England

ProsNothing positive unfortunately, apart from non management employees who were all very nice. In my opinion, the communication and morale are both poor. It's a shame, this company used to be excellent by all accounts

ConsMicro management, disorganised, poor communication. Lack of work/life balance. Those that has been with the business a long time seemed regined to that fact of 'this is just how it is'.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more trust in your employees rather than concentrating on their negatives. Invest in good training.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning and development, great people to work with, good company perks and reward scheme. Great reputation - very well known company.

ConsToo much change rather than adopting a continuous improvement approach. Need to work on knowledge management and knowledge transfer. Career opportunities limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on knowledge management and knowledge transfer.

Accenture - London

Technology Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsYou own your career. Great people, sense of business and create value for the clients..

ConsMany technical delivery is done off-shore. The performance assessment many times does not promote the bright people but who is better connected.

A lot of promise, but ultimately disappointing.

ProsA wide range of projects, companies, challenges.

ConsMassive company, a lot of politics.

Innovative company - backwards HR/Recruitment Division

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) London, England

ProsAccenture as a company are fantastic, their training and development program for consultants is amazing and if you are a high achiever you can progress very, very quickly.

ConsWorking within the HR/Recruitment team it is the most backward organisation I have ever worked for. If you apply direct to the company you will not here anything for 1 month, before being called for an interview. If this goes well, they will book you in one month later for another interview - the final step. They do not qualify salary expectations etc - so I am forced to constantly interview candidates who want £20-30,40k more than the role is paying. Who in their right mind doesnt check basics up front, like salary, location, eligibility to work in location - they will waste an entire recruitment process as they ask these questions at the LAST step. The idea of changing this is completely foreign and the team are afraid to come up with their own ideas - they simply follow process even if the process is obviously wrong. If you come up with a way to improve things you are seen as a trouble maker/difficult and trying to rock the boat. It drove me insane. I had to quit!

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of recruiting mindless drones afraid to think actually empower and encourage the team to challenge established ideas and improve things.

Worked for Accenture? Contribute to the Community!