Accuvant Reviews

3.4
Dan Burns

Great!

I worked at Accuvant

Pros

Great place to work; Sorry I had to leave; would recommend this to anyone. Management was great; very tuned in to employees

Cons

can't think of anything bad to say about the company; would highly recommend this to any and everyone. Wish I didn't have to leave

Awesome Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Accuvant

Pros

Great Company
    401K
    Benefits
    Paid Internet & Phone
    Smart group of people

Cons

Long Hours
    Travel Time / Holidays

3. Not the Best

Current Employee - Security Engineer
    Current Employee - Security Engineer

I have been working at Accuvant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice Co-Workers
    Some training
    Laid Back
    Good Salary

Cons

Very Unorganized to new hires.
    No real day to day schedule, some days i log on and have NO CLUE what i should be working on first.
    Expensive Benefits
    No 401k Match.
    If you work remote, you feel forgotten.
    Get ready to work 24/7!

Advice to Management

You guys make the big bucks. Figure it out or Sink.

Business Partner Relationships > Clients. Consultants are drone foot soldiers, fodder if you will.

Former Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel on their dime
    Fast way to get a resume built
    Chance to build up people networks

Cons

There are plenty....here on the highlights.

* Concur is used for expenses and the expense people are lazy. Expenses are often paid weeks after travel. Expense reports are returned for the most trivial reasons. Once I had one returned for $16 in a travel fee. Why didn't the expense people just fix it, send an email, and release the expense?

* No per diems. All actuals. No exceptions. Bank on 3 hours of expense report time per engagement.

* The most major downside is the managers' bonus is directly tied to the performance of their subordinates. So if you have a manager, sitting in his office and making sure the business relationship is a-ok with the provider of the appliance you are installing, that could care less about the client and they make it obvious. Managers lose bonus money if anyone was on the bench, which happens from time to time. So mine would make us to take PTO if a day of bench time came along. Not cool.

* While there is often good relations among the teams, managers and non-managers might as well live on different planets.

* Never badmouth IBM, Mcafee, or any other vendor with a "business partner" relationship. That is like smack talking God himself. You'll find yourself unemployed real quick. Business Partner > Client.

* Also, you'd THINK there would be a "fast track" for consultants to get ahold of a vendor for support but you'd be wrong. You call the same number and waste lots of hours trying to get support to help you in case of a major problem....and of course, billing the client.

* I left a LOT of hours on the floor and never charged the customer for them because of problems above. I could not sleep at night knowing I burned hours on the phone with the vendor trying to get their system up. Of course, Accuvant has no such problems. Check your ethics at the door on this one.

* Never exceed the SOW. If you do the client a favor and code something or plug in a CAT5 cable that is not in the SOW, be prepared for 10+ salesmen to email you telling you should have submitted a change order. The customer is a turnip, and the blood squeezed feeds their bonuses.

* Some engagements are "remote, which is fine if they can be performed remotely. Piece of advice...webex is for MEETINGS, not carrying out engagements.

* The Fishnet merger went bad for the Fishnet side of the house. Most Fishnet salespeople lost their accounts and regardless what was said, people were fired via attrition. In order to keep the holy “business partner” relationships, people with the correct certifications were kept and those without were shown the door. But there was no “layoffs”.

Advice to Management

Time to clean house. The worst people who are more interested in Accuvant's business partner relationships end up in management. The client is #3 or #4 on the priority list even though that is where the REVENUE comes from. Sales people sell and do not have to deliver what they sell, nor do they held accountable if an engagement goes wrong when the consultant ends up on site with no equipment or needs to perform work NOT in the SOW. Far too many engagements get delayed by months, if not longer, because the sales people have zero idea what they are selling and it's not in their job description to know so. So when the consultant does arrive on site they often might encounter an angry client.

Again...webex is for meetings, not engagements.

Security Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Accuvant

Pros

Training and communication are srtong points

Cons

Travel can be hard when not spread out

Rewarding work and lots of travel

Current Employee - Security Consultant in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in El Segundo, CA (US)

I have been working at Accuvant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great opportunity to gain experience working with different industries and building solid professional connections.
    - Fun travel opportunities
    - Excellent exposure to different technologies and vendors

Cons

- Training can be difficult to come by. You will need to sacrifice weekends to stay on top of technology.
    - Does not include 401k match or education reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Continue rewarding exceptional contributors and dedicate two weeks a year for a consultant to attend a training course.

Lost its luster

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has a team of people that rock and care about being on the front side of the wave

Cons

The labs team was awesome but over the years fell into disarray. Constant reorgs and upper level management meddling ruined the best place to work ever

Advice to Management

Clean house in middle management...

Director of Security Architecture

Current Employee - Director of Security Architecture in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Security Architecture in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Growth: A major private equity firm recently acquired a majority stake in Accuvant.
    - Knowledge: Many companies I have worked at in the past had many talented employees however Accuvant blows all of then out of the water with the number of staff with extremely high technical knowledge.
    - Culture: The culture at Accuvant stretching from the senior management team to junior consultants is amazing. The day to day is a relaxed atmosphere where results matter much more than internal appearance, etc. When working with clients we always make sure to put our best foot forward.
    - Equality: I will never forget our yearly company kick off, where employees from all over the country converge on Denver, when the CEO put an emphasis on equality numerous times. I knew at that point that this is a company I could work at for a long time.
    - Senior Management: The guys who founded Accuvant are great people. To this day they still make time for any employee and when they do make/have that time they are sincere.

Cons

- Growth: I did list this as a positive as well because of the opportunities available during a companies rapid growth. This type of Growth also brings a lot of work which can make things hectic at times. The beauty of it though is the fact that I love the work that I do.
    - Politics: I do my best to stay away from internal politics though because of Accuvant's rapid growth it is to be expected there will always be people positioning for new titles, positions and larger salaries.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. It is amazing what has been accomplished and I look forward to many more years of the same.

10. Strong security focus.

I have been working at Accuvant full-time

Pros

Relationships matter a great deal.

Cons

Company is struggling to decide what it wants to be when it grows up.

Denver Office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the Denver office, which was a lot different than a lot of the reviews on here, which are from consultants and sales people. Of course sales people are going to be upset when a company lets them go because of poor sales. In the corporate office we had good support, great co-workers and the CEO is great. I haven't liked one more at any other place I have worked. They had lunch catered every month but I think that might be gone now. Since they are a technology company, they had top of the line equipment for users.

Cons

They don't match 401k. Benefits are mediocre at best. HR talks about world class health care, but monthly cost to employees was high and most doctor visits were expensive. Turnover is VERY high. When I left we had about 500 people, and up to 50 people fired, laid off, or quit per month. I heard they got acquired, which means less frills. The company that bought them is only interested in the bottom line.

Advice to Management

I really like the Dans. My advice is to not grow so fast. Consultant turnover is high. Better to slow down a little and get your bearings and become stable and reputable.

RSS Feed </> Embed