Acquia

Acquia Reviews

Updated Jul 08, 2014

Acquia CEO Thomas Erickson

Thomas Erickson

Incredible opportunity - seize the moment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsAcquia is an incredible place to work and an amazing opportunity for employees. It has very mature sales operations and marketing processes as well as a great professional services and support team. Prospects are plentiful and the demand for the products and services is very high. Customer satisfaction appears high.

Employees are passionate, intelligent and a pleasure to spend time with and they have a great can-do attitude across the globe. The leadership team is very experienced and approachable and the open door policy is refreshing. They are willing to listen to ideas and suggestions and you feel empowered to make decisions and own things.

With the momentum of open source and Drupal and the rise of the importance of digital within Enterprise organisations, Acquia is definitely on track to grow and grow and if you seize the moment and are along for the ride, you'll be handsomely rewarded!

ConsAs with any growing company, there are some issues and problems that crop up but they are becoming less and less and the ones that do are more day to day operational ones that any business experiences.
    The pace is hectic and you can feel pushed and pulled in all directions. You need to be organised to cope with the demands but that's how any work hard, play hard company operates.

Opportunities like this are rare....

Sales (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsI have been here since the start of 2014 - with 25 years of experience in the IT industry I have seen both good and bad across large and small and I have to say that organisations like this are rare. It has a compelling combination of capable people, high ambition, significant opportunity and great leadership. Acquia's value proposition is unique in the industry and it is fuelled by a group of people who want to make a difference. It is said that you only do something in life for one of three reasons 1/ To make money 2/ To have fun and 3/ To learn new things - here you have the chance to do all three. For those who are just starting out in your careers enjoy it and make the most of the experiences it will give you - this is the benchmark by which you should measure future roles - I suspect many will be found wanting.

ConsIt is a performance culture. It will challenge you, require hard work and will need your commitment. If you are averse to any of those then this is not for you. To be clear - all progress takes place outside the comfort zone but that is where the adventure begins! Yes Acquia is still finding its way and some things don't work but we are a young company and in exciting times. Acquia does not get everything right but it recognises that and everyone is empowered and challenged to make it better. Those who know LEAN principles or KANBAN will understand the power of this in building successful organisations. It values its people, their skills and talents but it does not accept passengers - everyone has their hands on the wheel here.

Advice to Senior Management1/ We seem very process heavy and they are not always well documented or clear. 2/ More coaching and support around the onboarding side of things would help - there is a lot to take on and it changes quickly. 3/ Introduce "beer Friday" or even better "beer and pizza Friday"! Finally, 4/ would be good to see us do something for the "community" side of things here in EMEA - would help with the team building etc.

Great company but management still experiencing teething problems.

ProsThis company has great potential with some amazing success stories over the last few years. Great rates of pay.

ConsVery little training provided. Expected to work several extra hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementDysfuntional Management still need to be more realistic about their goals and there is too much overruling.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One company I would never work for again!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salary was ok, but not the added pressure of the environment

ConsNo Strategy
    No Management responsibility
    No stability in the company (hire and fire mentality)
    No retention plan
    No Career Development
    No support at all
    No respect for fellow colleagues

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than just throw people in at the deep end and let them sink. Would it not be better to hire the right people and retain them by giving them support and the relevant training for their chosen markets. A few dodgy leads from Africa and Asia will not help grow the European business!

Great people, horrible management

Sales (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsAcquia EMEA had some great people. Unfortunately middle/senior management pushed them all out. Nice office but not great location for acquiring and retaining talent. The tech and support side of things run very smoothly. Great people there and middle management there knows what it takes to keep people happy both on the customer side and employee side of things. Wish I could say the same of sales. Also, really believe in the product and the passion of those working to improve it.

ConsVery cut-throat culture for the sales team. The "you're only as good as your last quarter" mentality has never been as true as here. And even if you do well but don't play their political games you stand the chance of being given the boot. You're not encouraged to think for yourself at all. The weather in the UK changes less than process, procedures and structure at Acquia (Not to mention employees). This was literally the worse job I ever had but with the highest potential. If only they would get their act together.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise senior management in the US to take a very close look at what's happening in the EMEA office. With the high level of staff turnover for more than a year and a half now they must realise that the problem lies more with management than with the sales team. People don't even get the chance to finish their ramp-plan before getting pushed out. You'll never have a fully functioning sales team if you don't provide the proper training or push them out before they even had a chance. You need to get a proper sales structure in and stick to it. Listen more to your employees as they are at the frontline with your customers. They hear the a

May 22, 2014

I'm sorry that your experience at Acquia was not a positive one. I personally have made several trips to Europe to ensure our initiatives there were on track. We've made some mistakes for sure ... More

One hell of a ride.....

ProsI've worked in a number start-ups and by far this is the most exciting. If you've done the whole pre-IPO thing a few times you learn to sniff out the DNA of those few companies that have the potential to really shake things up.....become disruptive I believe is the term.

Acquia is fast moving, entrepreneurial, challenging, focused and for the most part...Winning!

ConsIts fast, fast, fast....you cant possibly grow a business this quickly without the a few teething problems. There are problem in every organisation and Acquia is no different. I am however glad that our problems are driven by demand for our services and not by lack of opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the recruitment bar high.........

Nov 17, 2013

Wow. Excited to have team members like you. As I have mentioned, the ride at Acquia is not for everyone, but you seem to really enjoy the pace. As for teething, some times I think of it like a ... More

Great Culture. Company really cares about its employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsGreat company culture - more so in the HQ. Senior management seems to genuinely really care about its employees and are really approachable. 'Fun' start-up culture. Lots of opportunity to learn. Hard work recognised and appreciated. Very nice people in general to work with.

ConsSometimes too many people get involved in a single project which slows it down, but I guess we do have the slogan 'jump in and own it'!

Nov 17, 2013

I really appreciate you taking the time to complete this review, and am pleased you like being part of the team. I agree that our intensive focus on customer success and the DNA of "jumping in ... More

Acquia

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- Most of the tech people are amazingly helpful.

Cons- Working long / odd hours is not unusual and my family hates it.
    - Ironocally the company made Drupal much less fun for me.
    - Drupalcon is no longer a fun event but a mere business opportunity.
    - Because of the workload, I struggle to contribute back to the community.
    - Sales can be too aggressive at times

Sep 17, 2013

From Michael Krause, VP Customer Solutions:

Thank you for your post! Your courage, candor and willingness to be transparent helps us increase the quality of our experience here at Acquia and yours
    ... More

Great US organisation but extremely poor EMEA organisation,

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England

Pros- OSS which is different than proprietary
    - multi cultural environment

Cons- high turn over of staff (EMEA) ; 10 sales people left in first 6 month of the year, on a team of 15
    - obsolete sales strategy and same for marketing dept.
    -micromanagement a la callcenter ( who wants to buy a 1mil+ service from an agent)

Advice to Senior Management-implement tools allow greater reach into the market
    - transform your message from transitional to consultative
    - localize and expand to asiapac

Sep 13, 2013

Thanks for the note. We have had a rocky time with our EMEA staff. We made some mistakes in hiring, not applying the same criteria as we had in the USA, and that has resulted in more turnover than ... More

Great place to work.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Burlington, MA (US)

Pros- Great values.
    - Lots of star players on every team, very inspiring.
    - Tons of commitment to our customers and products. "Jump in and own it!"
    - Progressive vacation and sick policies, mutually respectful "do your job well and enjoy your time off" attitude.
    - Very flexible to telecommuting, at least in my department.

Cons- Way too much to do ALL the time, can feel overwhelming.
    - You're responsible for your own work/life balance. You can work yourself into the ground if you are not careful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Jul 09, 2014

Very excited to see that you enjoy being part of the Acquia team! There's no doubt we have tons of stuff to do as we try and change the way enterprises think about innovation around their digital ... More

Worked for Acquia? Contribute to the Community!