Act-On Software Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
Updated 22 October 2014
4.3

Raghu Raghavan

Put in the work, reap the rewards. Be prepared to Grind!

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great fast paced work environment. Never a boring day.
    Good Benefits, Catered Food, Snack, Beverages.
    Good team culture.
    Great way to grow as a person and professional.
    Put in the hard work, stay focused, get paid!
    Its a grind.... but a good one.
    Company has a lot of potential.

Cons

Long Days. High stress. Very transactional sales enviroment. You have to be willing to sacrifice some of your personal time because this job requires you to be a self starter, and self finisher.
    You can't just become an expert overnight. Takes hard work and dedication. If you can handle that... Great job.
    If you want a cushy 8hr a day job... keep looking.

Keep focused on keeping employees that work hard and show potential.
    There has been high turnover, which is bad for morale, but this job isn't for everyone.
    Stay engaged with your employees and listen to their concerns.

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Sales in Roseville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Roseville, CA (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, friendly colleagues. Lots of VC funding, and money is being spent in the right places.

Cons

The company is growing at such a break-neck pace, unfortunately at the expense of the employees. Work-life balance is non-existent (not if you want to succeed here). Definitely NOT a good fit for anyone with a family because you will never see them. Don't be fooled, they cater lunch to keep you at your desk. If you are looking at a Sales position, prepare to be just another number. This company goes through salespeople more than any other I've seen. 90% of the salespeople on staff have been there less than 1-yr. Tons of turnover and as another ex-employee stated, there's always a threat of being fired if you miss your quarter, no exceptions. Some people thrive in this type of environment, if you're one of them, then this is a great company for you for the pros mentioned above. If you don't, then don't let the perks sway you and definitely look elsewhere because you'll just be unhappy and fired within 6-months.

No amount of incentives, spiffs, bonuses, perks, can replace work-life balance. I recommend you start taking this more seriously and promote more reasonable work hours. Otherwise, this is a law-suit waiting to happen.

Great place to work

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, catered lunch 2 times a week, great people working with you.

Cons

Long days, feels like you are a robot sometimes if you do not make an effort to switch things up.

Let people work from home.

Trust the negative reviews on this one. You wll save yourself a mistake like I did!

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food. Honestly that was it.

Cons

Pretty much what is said in the negative reviews. No work life balance. Churn and burn culture. Management (especially in Scottsdale) is a joke. People who were telemarketers two years ago are running the place!
    The Scottsdale office was like a morgue vibe from the start. The weekly sales meetings people would put on a smile and thank god those were just one hour. You have to hear from people who are practically teenagers all the stupid stuff they try to do to get a sale. We are talking worse than used care salesmen.

When I knew these people jumped the shark so to speak is when I brought up working over 12 hours is not normal. You would have thought I told them the Earth is flat. No one is that stupid and they fully know no inside sales place is going to expect people to put in 12 hours a day! We all work extra hours to get the sale but Act-On takes it to the extreme.

Like my title says trust the negative reviews. Yes, most of the time I ignore negative reviews but quickly learned at Act-On they are spot on.

Just copy Hubspot like you actually do and hire college kids. They are the only ones naive enough to stay for a year. (if that)

Stop with the clicks and insanity. Any positive review here is from someone who wears keen pads if you know what i mean.
    Word is already out Act-On is a bad place to work for. Do your best to try to reverse it and get to business. Quit hiring all the damn time and actually focus on headcount you have!
    Bring in people who have actually sold a conceptual product elsewhere and not WebEx!!!!!!!!!!

Turnover is way too high- there is no value for sales team

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food
    You can drink all the booze you want while working

Cons

Work_life balance doesn't exist
    Expect 20 hour days end of quarter
    Expect 12 hour days to be the norm..along with weekends
    Always being told you suck
    You will get fired or Constant threat of being fired if you miss 1 qtr unlessbyou are part of the in crowd
    Pressure customers daily to sign or else
    Charge backs on your sales that you can't fight

Get real managers who know how to coach and build team loyalty
    Tell the truth
    Evaluate culture
    No value of employee input
    Churn and burn of sales team will destroy reputation in industry
    Stop burning your people out
    Listen to the truth your employees share without being defensive
    You will continue to lose good employees blinded by your greed

Just another start-up.....

I worked at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

Easy product to learn, understand and sell.
    Shares

Cons

Sales driven management with zero focus on organizational development. Like most start-ups, they sell the dream of being purchased.
    Senior management was all about "group outings"- another term for "lets get drunk on company time and money." Great for college students just trying to get by, not really for career seekers.

Growth is great, but focus on the end game....

National Sales Manager

Current Employee - National Sales Manager
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Opportunity to make a lot of money
    -Strong/experienced/fair management
    -Feeling like you are truly making a difference in the growth of a company
    -Spiffs, prizes, contests, bonus', commission, trips and more
    -Great co-workers who support each other
    -Investment in employees through additional training on and offsite
    -Don't have to deal with all the corporate tape of larger organizations
    -Clear goals and objectives
    If you are driven and looking for a challenge this is the company for you!

Cons

This is a very ambitious company. We are growing rapidly and with that comes a lot of change. Some people have a hard time riding the waves and remembering that with the fun and excitement of a growing company also comes A LOT of hard work. With ALL jobs you have to take the good with the bad and it is up to you with how you choose to handle that.
    After reading some of my co-workers comments on the lack of work/life balance, I have to say the decision to balance your life is 100% in your control. If you are working 11 to 12 hour days and not happy about it, don't take the easy way out and blame the company but instead ask yourself if you are being as efficient with your time as you could be.
    I left a very large company to come to Act-On Software. I knew I was leaving a comfy yet complacent position for the unknown but I was also ready to challenge myself and see what I was made of. I love the quote below. In my opinion it is what Act-On represents for those ready to accept the challenge.
    "Don't Be Afraid to Work Hard to Find Out How Good You Can Really Be"

Continue to streamline processes and procedures. Would love to see the CEO visit the different offices a few times a year.

Relaxing Atmosphere, Great place to grow, Good Management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff here are very knowledgeable.
    The company is growing rapidly which allows room for growth.
    They make sure that you are well fed with their stocked kitchen and 3 times a week catering.

Cons

There does not seem to be a balance between work and personal life.
    Benefits could be a little better
    Wish there was a well defined training sessions for new hires

Great Culture with Promising Career Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Roseville, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Roseville, CA (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are many reasons I enjoy working at Act-On. For one, the culture is amazing. Everyone works together to ensure a great customer experience, start to finish. There are awesome perks like free snacks, coffee, and catered lunch twice per week.

The Sr. Management is very visible and present. If you want to grow within this company, all you need to do is let them know. They are extremely supportive and want nothing more than for their employees to succeed.

Cons

Because this is a new(er) company, standard processes don't exist for many things. The training I received was seriously lacking and it was really up to me to figure things out for myself. This can really be a Pro if you're looking for an easy way to stand out, but more structure from the start would have made things a lot easier.

Act-On values developers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR (US)

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Developers are well treated, respected and encouraged to find creative solutions to improve the current implementation without fear. It takes time to transform from a startup to a more organized, disciplined company but I can see improvements every week.

Cons

Lots of ideas/work, not enough developers, need to hire more/quicker.