Aetna Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 102 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions (in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience

Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant  in  Bismarck, ND (US)
    Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant in Bismarck, ND (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good computer resources to make day to day work easier
    Supportive team and leaders
    Flexible work at home position .
    Good benefits including work balance benefits
    Company is filled with well qualified , caring people

Cons

Lost position after unit downsized.

Value employees that stick in though all of the changes

Steady advancement is possible if you search out opportunities and make your goals and qualifications known.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most employees are proud to work at Aetna. The CEO's drive to impact health care and wellness, as well as making Aetna a Fortune Fifty company, inspire the staff to contribute toward those goals.

Cons

Currently Aetna is integrating the Coventry tools and staff. In such a large undertaking, the individual employee cannot be considered and talented people have not be able to obtain an optimum position for their skills and background. Some of my peers are having to find other employment.

The practice of limiting pay increases to a flat percentage often keeps an internal candidate from reaching the minimum salary for a new position; this is short sited. After marking time in the new job they may consider making a lateral move to a competitor to obtain market rate compensation. Employees who have to contribute to family financial stability often cannot sacrifice pay for the hope of greater opportunities. Young talent and drive is being forced find more appropriate salary structures.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Provider Service Specialist  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Provider Service Specialist in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Aetna has a great at work education system. the benefits are good considering the high deductible plan which could be more affordable but they have all types of incentives to stay healthy. If you have a company that cares about your health and well being in my opinion its a keeper. In addition to the online education they have numerous opportunities to grow which helps you to believe you will have a future in the company.

Cons

with all the great things aetna has to offer you still have to deal with corporate policies and procedures which at times can be tedious and un rewarding. when applying for jobs it helps to have someone in your corner but I seen to often its not what you know its who you know that will get you ahead.

Compensation is generous but look more closely to the mid level management that might hold back decent employees that can support the company and continue to make this a great place to work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a growing experience. I was mentored by my manager.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Bell, PA (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO, relaxed environment is good stuff!! Fair managers.

Cons

No different from anywhere. People everywhere are different attitudes. Just deal with it! :-)

Out with the old....

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, high percentage of staff work remotely (either FT or a few days a week), decent benefits and PTO accrual.

Cons

Way more cons than pros. Constant restructuring, layoffs (one or two per year), bias towards hiring from the outside and not cultivating talent, no upward mobility (at least in the area I was in), bias against longtime staff, little operational direction from leadership, always chasing the "next shiny object", poor follow through on strategy, political in-fighting hampers progress.

Figure out who Aetna wants to be when it grows up, and stick to a game plan. Grow your established dedicated talent instead of wanting to get rid of them for "younger, cheaper talent"

Stressful..no job security

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to work from home; decent salary

Cons

Constant lay-offs due to reorganization and outsourcing of jobs. Frustrating to have to reprocess claims due to inaccurate processing by overseas processors....and then be job eliminated after 15 years. Focus now is on quantity, not quality.

Be realistic in expectations.....go back to when quality mattered, not just quantity of claims processed. Consider keeping more jobs stateside...

Actuarial Area

Current Employee - Actuary I  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Actuary I in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Generally a low stress environment.
    Good people to work with
    Generally good work/life balance

Cons

Room for advancement can be challenging.
    Salaries are borderline uncompetitive with the market

Review compensation and opportunities for advancement

good and bad

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

friendly people, stable place to work, generous benefit package, if you can get stock its performed very well over last few years, strong leadership team at top levels but middle managers / senior teams are pretty much a joke.

Cons

has somewhat large bureaucracy to deal with, middle level / senior managers don't know what their doing and usually are not that skilled, culture depending on location can be depressing and feel like its stagnating, moving up is a difficult proposition given the hierarchy and the fact that some people stay there for life.

promote within, offer better stock packages for younger skilled workers, don't be afraid to listen to new ideas.

Company undergoing significant transformation.

Current Employee - Financial Manager
    Current Employee - Financial Manager

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Opportunities for entry level employees and interns to advance a few levels relatively quickly. Good PTO and decent benefits. Diversifying business lines means opportunities to move around to more non-traditional insurance related businesses.

Cons

Company has hit a rough patch as the integration of Coventry systems and personnel progresses. Underlying medical costs driving core insurance business caused pressure on stock price.

Be clearer with your vision for the company. Constant change and repeated layoffs do a number on morale, but more visible strong leadership can improve that.

Technical Specialist

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Great place to work at aetna

Cons

None I an think of

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!