Aetna

Aetna Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 102 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions (in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for

Bilingual Customer Service (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL (US)

ProsGood pay, Professional work enviroment, Always taking 1 hour weekly updates in training, regarding State laws and company's E-policies, in order to give the good service to members. If employee manage to get good Quality reviews, get pay a Bonus every 3 months.

ConsTerrible Health Insurance benefits to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Health Benefits to emmployees, and Aetna would be consider The Best Company to work for.

Satisfactory place to work!

ProsReputable company with a strong presence; Great training for new employees, and continuous learning opportunities for seasoned employees; strong leadership; plenty of opportunities for advancement.

ConsBenefits package is not the greatest; compensation doesn't necessarily coincide with the job expectations; Human Resource Department not easily accessible, as most of them work from home.

Great company that any one would be proud to work for!

Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsTons of benefits and a very great work-life balanced job. Work from home is available for those who earn it. Management is very good. Excellent PTO structure and 100% matching 401k up to 6% of salary.

ConsDifficult to progress in some departments. I found my particular department to be a little top heavy making it difficult for promotion.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, and continuing to grow

ProsCompany is challenging itselft to double in size in the next 6 years, so this is leading to lots of opportunity. Something like 65% of the company is work at home.

ConsThey have a PTO bank, but at the end of the year if you have anything greater than 40 hours they do not let you roll it over.

Overall good experience

Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

ProsThe company is very focused on maintaining a work life balance. The company policies go above and beyond what you would expect. Policies such as giving employees a $200 wellness reimbursement per year, having semiannual team outings covered by the company, and maintaining a laid back environment are all positive value added policies for the employees. The companies management staff is also generally very laid back and nice.

ConsSometimes Aetna can be too laid back. The compensation package is generally less at Aetna than other healthcare insurance providers.

Awesome Company!

ProsRewarding job. CEO's often visit various locations to meet employees. Benefits/perks include casual dress and telecommute (work from home).

ConsPromotion is based on who you know, not necessarily what you do. Schedule changes very often (ever 3-6 months).

One of the best companies out there

Senior Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA (US)

ProsThe company is built on great values and really cares about what they're doing. There is a lot of room for advancement and great people at every corner of the company.

ConsI have nothing negative to say about the company.

Aetna is taking over Coventry.

Complex Case Manager (Current Employee) South Jordan, UT (US)

ProsAetna is a large company which means there are many opportunities. If you like working at home there are many opportunities to do that. My 2nd and 3rd line supervisors both work at home. I am hoping to go home in the next few months.

ConsSince so many people work at home there are many phone meetings. I think that dilutes the interactions and makes it difficult to really get to know who you are working with. I don't fine staff support to be very high. For example Aetna took away all the amenities in the lunch room and took away our on site tech support person. They lowered our budget for celebrations. This lowers morale and a sense of office community.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn site management is important. Going home is great but staff still need to come into the office periodically for face to face meetings and to stay in touch with the office flow. To that end hotel desks should be set up with schedules for staff to be in the office once a week or twice a month.

Good People, Good Strategy Strong Management

Director (Former Employee) Blue Bell, PA (US)

ProsOverall strong strategy and reasonable communication from Upper Management . Strategy directed towards consumerism is sound. Resources directed to ACO areas makes a lot of sense.Work balance is good and encournged to take time off and to grow through . Plenty of training opportunities

ConsContinued layoffs and tough to move around. Insure that metrics for how effective middle management is from an innovation and alignment perspective are in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct layoffs in waves and try to foster allowing those displaced individuals to post for openings before leaving

fast paced and challenging

QA Project Manager (Current Employee) Hartford, CT (US)

Prosample opportunities to work and gain experience, very fast paced, lots of good resources available to employees (internal training, various perks)

Constoo aggressive with cost cutting initiatives, management not true to values preached, a bit politically charged and vision frequently changes

Advice to Senior Managementstay true to values, give more value to leadership (doing the right thing versus doing things right), appreciation should be more sincere

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!