Aetna Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 110 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions (in 22 reviews)

• Each year's health insurance costs more with lesser benefits and higher deductibles (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, Professional work enviroment, Always taking 1 hour weekly updates in training, regarding State laws and company's E-policies, in order to give the good service to members. If employee manage to get good Quality reviews, get pay a Bonus every 3 months.

Cons

Terrible Health Insurance benefits to employees.

Improve Health Benefits to emmployees, and Aetna would be consider The Best Company to work for.

Satisfactory place to work!

I have been working at Aetna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Reputable company with a strong presence; Great training for new employees, and continuous learning opportunities for seasoned employees; strong leadership; plenty of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Benefits package is not the greatest; compensation doesn't necessarily coincide with the job expectations; Human Resource Department not easily accessible, as most of them work from home.

Great company that any one would be proud to work for!

Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of benefits and a very great work-life balanced job. Work from home is available for those who earn it. Management is very good. Excellent PTO structure and 100% matching 401k up to 6% of salary.

Cons

Difficult to progress in some departments. I found my particular department to be a little top heavy making it difficult for promotion.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Company!

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rewarding job. CEO's often visit various locations to meet employees. Benefits/perks include casual dress and telecommute (work from home).

Cons

Promotion is based on who you know, not necessarily what you do. Schedule changes very often (ever 3-6 months).

Great company, and continuing to grow

I have been working at Aetna full-time

Pros

Company is challenging itselft to double in size in the next 6 years, so this is leading to lots of opportunity. Something like 65% of the company is work at home.

Cons

They have a PTO bank, but at the end of the year if you have anything greater than 40 hours they do not let you roll it over.

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is very focused on maintaining a work life balance. The company policies go above and beyond what you would expect. Policies such as giving employees a $200 wellness reimbursement per year, having semiannual team outings covered by the company, and maintaining a laid back environment are all positive value added policies for the employees. The companies management staff is also generally very laid back and nice.

Cons

Sometimes Aetna can be too laid back. The compensation package is generally less at Aetna than other healthcare insurance providers.

Aetna is taking over Coventry.

Current Employee - Complex Case Manager  in  South Jordan, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Complex Case Manager in South Jordan, UT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Aetna is a large company which means there are many opportunities. If you like working at home there are many opportunities to do that. My 2nd and 3rd line supervisors both work at home. I am hoping to go home in the next few months.

Cons

Since so many people work at home there are many phone meetings. I think that dilutes the interactions and makes it difficult to really get to know who you are working with. I don't fine staff support to be very high. For example Aetna took away all the amenities in the lunch room and took away our on site tech support person. They lowered our budget for celebrations. This lowers morale and a sense of office community.

On site management is important. Going home is great but staff still need to come into the office periodically for face to face meetings and to stay in touch with the office flow. To that end hotel desks should be set up with schedules for staff to be in the office once a week or twice a month.

One of the best companies out there

Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Analyst  in  Walnut Creek, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is built on great values and really cares about what they're doing. There is a lot of room for advancement and great people at every corner of the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the company.

Awful place to work

Former Employee - Applications Development Manager  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Applications Development Manager in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have a fabulous cafeteria, very new and modern. The gym is top notch.

Cons

Constant layoffs. Many managers have no people skills and should not be in management.

Stop pretending to care about quality and excellence. It is a joke. It's all about a race to the bottom line. Just get it over with and outsource the entire operation which seems to be what the top level management wants to do.... Mark Bertolini should move to Arizona.

Would not recommend this company to anyone, friend or not.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Fresno, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fresno, CA (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Competitive salary to start, dangles ideas of advancement opportunities, bonus opportunities, overtime, telework, fair work environment, equal opportunity employer...all to get you in the door. Casual dress code is a huge plus.

Cons

It's not what you know, it's who you know and who likes you with this company that will determine how far you will go and what jobs you will advance to that you apply for or if you even keep your job. If you go in and mind your own business and do your job, 99% of the time, you won't be favorited. Valid complaints to immediate supervisors that should be taken serious are swept under the carpet and the employee is told that they are "dealt with" when they are not. Concerns are commented back with smart remarks and comments. Retaliation is a huge fear with this company. If you speak up, you may just find yourself getting fire or laid off because they don't like the wrong things coming to light. If you don't fit in, you will find yourself very quickly pushed to the outter circle, supervisor included. We are understaffed and overworked and when we bring it up how stressed out we are, we are told to do more or work overtime or that we aren't a team player. The department doesn't seem to care for our personal well being or health when it comes down to crunching the numbers. It's do do do, but don't Ask questions or for help to get stuff done quickly, instead, send off your question and wait a day or two for an answer. Employees are not compensated well for the amount of work that they do. There has been no cost of living increase in many years. The benefits come with such a high deductible that If you have to use it, you better make sure you get everything done with in one year to make it worth it. You have to tell the customer service reps that handle employee benefits what to do and how to do something when you call them because they have now clue. The CEO gets huge raises and the employees get a small lunch tote for a milestone anniversary gift. I will ask that unless you take this job as a stepping stone to a much bigger and better career, because it works with a school schedule, please do not get sucked into the Aetna environment. Not only is it harmful to your stress levels, it's harmful to your personal life as well.

You ask employees to take a survey each year, take the comments seriously. Very seriously. Make the supervisors accountable for their employees. Don't let them sweep concerns and complaints under the rug to hide the fact that they can't run a unit effectively. When employees are out of complaint with state and company laws, take action, don't hide it. Take your employees concerns seriously and realize that not every one lives and breathes Aetna or can do 20-40 hours of OT a week. We have to have a life as well. Reward those employees that deserve it and stop rewarding those that do not deserve it!! Keep the casual dress code; however, cover up some tattoos, enforce it when it's out of control, don't punish everyone for those that want to hardly wear anything. Punish them.

Aetna Photos

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!