Aetna Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 102 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions (in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Contractors BEWARE!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Aetna as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

i liked what the CEO stood for - in theory - and what the company was supposed to be about (but wasn't).

Cons

Fellow contractors - especially in Learning & Performance - BEWARE! This turned out to be the most awful experience of my 15 career history! This role was NOTHING like the role that was described during the lengthy interviewing & selection process. Apparently the diva director of L&P has had extensive, previous "issues" with contractors. This "tidbit" of info was only mentioned after being hired, to which I'm thinking, "I've never known there to be so many 'bad' contract developers." Well guess what - there's not, and it WASN'T the contractors.
    What was to be a long assignment was very short, and it was filled with passive-aggressive communication, unspecified expectations, a choke-hold of micro-managment, and a twisted invitation to "drink the department kool-aid" - only to find out later that the person offering the drink was the company's version of JIm Jones.

I have no advice. These people are not going to change. My advice is to those going in. And that is: DON'T.

Excellent company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Middletown, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Middletown, CT (US)

I worked at Aetna as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very structured but organized company.

Cons

The parking at this facility was terrible.

Unfavorable Experience

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are great and supportive. Management micro-manages.

Cons

Call Center expectations are unrealistic.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Desktop Support

I worked at Aetna

Pros

Laid back office environment, nice coworkers

Cons

Outsourced all their IT support to overseas

Go back to in-house IT support

Good, but they are prone to layoffs

Former Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not a good place to work during mergers and acquisitions

Cons

Prone to layoffs during periods of mergers and acquisitions and when the economy has an adverse effect on corporate economic growth

Treat your employees better

Able to be a Strong Patient Advocate (RN) but working for Big Business mentality

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Like what I do on a day to day basis and have the ability to work at home. Compensation when figured into an hourly pay is okay, it's fair. Work-life balance is okay there is some flexibility. My immediate supervisor is very good. Overall I am a happy Aetna employee.

Cons

Big business, job security is always in question. Squeezed for more and more, disposable employee culture. Work in crisis mode till burn-out. Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited. Aetna can write a great benefit package but they do not provide that great package to their employees. I always wonder if the C-suite has the same benefit package.

Aetna was an okay place to work.

Former Employee - Health Care Consultant RN  in  Sandy, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Health Care Consultant RN in Sandy, UT (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Allowed to telecommute, timely raises, okay benefits. I believe the intent is to provide a good product.

Cons

Lots of change, pressure to do more with less resources, minimal chance for promotion. I worked in a place where micromanagement was the norm, and metrics were the only way you were measured, not by any other means. Being given minimal time to take a bio break or get a breather. Had to spend many hours after work catching up, of course I was salaried, but there was no other way to get the very redundant work done.

So many layers, and the top layers have no clue what is happening in the trenches. Very frustrating to have change coming down on top of you, and such pressure put on the people actually having contact with the members.

Great Flexibility, Some Great People, Below Market Pay

Current Employee - Counsel  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Counsel in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The flexibility at Aetna is the best I've ever seen - the ability to work from home, and the limited travel make a home/life balance extremely easy to attain. In addition, the people who I get to work with on a daily basis are exceptional.

Cons

The flexibility comes at a price - Aetna seems to pay most of its employees well below market value compared to other companies. Also, in a company of this magnitude, naturally there are a lot of people who keep their head down and skate by for years. Finally, while management is trying to change the culture at Aetna, it seems more of window dressing. A selfish, whiny, blameworthy culture is seemingly ingrained in a lot of the legacy employees. It is going to be truly monumental to change the culture at a 160 year old company in a relatively antiquated industry.

Pay employees a more competitive wage to retain good talent. Spend a lot more time and money on innovation, rather than tweaking existing processes. Exhaust every option in attempting to change the culture, even marginally.

I used to like working for Aetna

Current Employee - Complaint and Appeal Analyst
    Current Employee - Complaint and Appeal Analyst

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work time is flexible and the amount of vacation time we get is good.

Cons

Department management is far removed from the needs of the employees. My department is a stressful environment where we are overworked and understaffed. Complaint and appeal analysts are resigning because of the work environment and management is not replacing them.

We recently did a company wide employee survey, please read them and make positive changes.

Awesome work from home opportunity but medical benefits are not good.

Former Employee - Senior/Lead Informatics Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior/Lead Informatics Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Aetna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Remote/tele work, training opportunities, online job boards and intranet are very easy to use. Pto and sick time accrual

Cons

Medical benefits have high deductibles and dont cover much anyway.

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!