Aflac

Updated 30 January 2015
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 22 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 30 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started my sales career with Aflac and received the best sales training I could have ever asked for. I had great District and Regional Coordinators who cared about me personally and about my development and success. It is 100% an outstanding product and great company who stands behind what they sell.

Cons

There are no territories so you will learn to overcome the objection that someone else just stopped in recently. Mostly, you need to know the type of person you are. You will need to be able to stay focused and motivated with very little oversight or structure. This did not work out well in my case, but if you're able to excel under these conditions, then the flexibility this job provides is fantastic.

Business development

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Friendly Email and Phone Conversation with the hiring manager. Encouragement with entrepreneurship and every possibility.
    Fortune Magazine has ranked us as one of the 100 best companies to work for in America.

Cons

You Background may not quite match the job and you are contacted and led to a position which you may lose focus.
    You need to rely on yourself on the carrier-building path.

District Sales Coordinator

Current Employee - District Sales Coordinator in Victoria, TX (US)
    Current Employee - District Sales Coordinator in Victoria, TX (US)

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Paid on performance. Brand recognition. Ethical company.

Cons

Absolutely nothing. Come on, it's AFLAC!!!

Keep on keeping on!

Great sales experience, really teaches any given individual what it takes to become a great salesperson.

Current Employee - Independent Agent
    Current Employee - Independent Agent

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Great, fast-paced work environment.

Cons

There is no base salary; therefore, making it hard if you are an entry-level sales person.

Have a base salary to invite top talent to the company.

Great Sales

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Aflac

Pros

Unlimited earning potential with promotion comes more pay

Cons

Commision only and no benefits

Managers vary by each state

False Promises

Former Employee - Independent Agent in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nationally branded company. Opportunity to build one's own business with the potential for residual income. Great product that actually helps people (policy holders) in a time of need.

Cons

Despite assurances in my hiring interview, I received little field training at the regional and district level. I was told in State level trainings that a new agent should be working with their District Sales Coordinator on a daily basis for the first 30 days. I received less than 20 hours of field training in my first 4 months. I was told that I could expect to be generating revenue on a regular basis after 90 days. I did generate some revenue in my third month but such proved to be more happenstance than repeatable.

"Practice what you preach"! Make sure your Regional and District Sales Coordinators are held accountable and are actually with new agents in the field for the first 30 days training best practices so that the proper foundation for success is demonstrated.

Fired for requesting the tools needed to do my job

Former Employee - Business Process Analyst III in Columbia, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Business Process Analyst III in Columbia, SC (US)

I worked at Aflac (less than a year)

Pros

Team was collaborative and really want to help the people in the trenches doing the day-to-day work.

Cons

1st day on the job: 1/21/15 - Last day on the job Noon 1/28/15. Reason: "Don't fit AFLAC culture", until I asked for specifics...I was then told I was "too aggressive" for following up daily on the procurement of a laptop & Visio (requisitioned at time of job offer...before 1/19/15) which I needed to be a Business Process Analyst (mobility required to meet with SMEs and visio needed to document process flows) on a "Rapid Improvement Event" scheduled for 2/9/15. Got that? 2.5 weeks to document processes for a highly visible project and 1 week spent without the tools required & requisitioned to do my job. Specifically told by HR that I was technically competent to do the job, I was just "too aggressive". I never received any verbal communication that I shouldn't be pursuing resolution of this...just "BAM" you don't fit in!

I guess I don't fit AFLAC culture if that means setting people up for failure instead of success out of the gate, and expecting folks to do their job without the tools they need.

Great training program.

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Great potential earnings. they offer a great product with a lot of value. they stand behind what they sell and have excellent claims service.

Cons

Too many agent in an over saturated market.

Focus on quality agent.

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You make your own schedule. Unlimited earning potential.

Cons

It's full commission. The business model is to saturate areas as much as possible, so if you don't have the skills required to be good in sales you will most likely fail.

Hire canidates you feel there is a good chance will be successful. Hiring everyone who applies is discouraging to a new hiree.

Difficult to make a living. Your salary is all dependent on how good of a sales person you are with cold calling.

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

You have unlimited potential to make great money.

Cons

There are no territories and chances are someone from a different city is calling in your area.

Spend more time with new agents and don't assume they know everything about the buisness.