Aflac Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
Updated 29 September 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 21 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 27 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, tough to get ahead.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Lots of training and support, but the market is very saturated. The management program offers very little in terms of financial support.

Cons

You have to invest in evey aspect of the company. Yes there is a flexible schedule, but you still need to put in at least 60 hrs a week to break even.

Invest more in first level management instead of putting a heavier burden on them.

Great Company!

I have been working at Aflac for less than a year

Pros

Great people & great money making potential

Cons

You have to keep yourself motivated - since you are now basically working for yourself & making your own hours. So it's up to YOU on how well YOU succeed.

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Columbus, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ethical Company, great pay and benefits.

Cons

Call Center schedule is difficult when you are a single parent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PYRAMID SCHEME. THEY HIRE LITERALLY ANYONE

Former Employee - Coordinator-In-Training  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Coordinator-In-Training in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Making your own schedule
    - Taking as much time off as you want (because they don't pay you, so technically they can't tell you you have to work)
    - Some people are cool (until they get the opportunity to snake an account from you behind your back)
    - Really... there are no benefits to working here besides personal growth, learning how to handle rejection all day long, realizing you are better than you give yourself credit for
    - Good product for customers if they know how it works

Cons

- They will hire ANYONE willing to pay for their training. This is because it makes the management look better and makes them money ( I was in management and witnessed this often)
    - NO BASE PAY... It's a rough gig and many people go broke waiting on the "big pay out" that will most likely never come
    - Absolutely ZERO work/life balance. You work harder and more than you ever have, and get paid less than you ever have
    - If you are looking for an office job or a place to make friends at work... This is NOT the place!!!
    - They did a bunch of redividing the territories this year and even State Sales Coordinators were fired. I wanted almost half my office either get let go or quit because they realized this company has no morals or ethics.
    - Must give out your personal cell phone number to clients... Which is insane!! I quit over 6 months ago and still get angry voicemails from people
    - Most people who have succeeded with Aflac have no other skills, degrees or qualifications and this is their last resort
    - ALL the management lies about how you can make big $$$ and make it seem easy to live the "Aflac dream" when in reality only 4% of people who get licensed with Aflac make it... They don't tell you that in the interview, they wait and tell you when you've been promoted
    - Are not honest during interview, they will lie to anyone to get them to sign the contract with them ... Which means you have to pay around $400 just to start working there... RED FLAGS

This was honestly the most unethical, dishonest, BS company I have worked for and believed their lies for over a year until I was privileged to see how they management actually ran the office and it was appalling!!

STOP LYING TO NEW HIRES ABOUT THIS JOB!!! It's a no base pay, 100% commission, no benefits, 10-99, pay for all your own training, "job". Cut the crap and tell people how it really is... 96% of people who float through that office fail within the first year and go broke in the process. This company disgusts me.

My extremely wrong review just crashed so I will be giving the footnotes

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Aflac as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Cool, environment in the beginning. They also give you sales training and since the job is 100% commission, you can work and not work whenever you want

Cons

Extremely high turnover, companies absolutely hate Aflac because they are contacted constantly. The job is a bait and switch. They say you will get a list of current and past clients but it is simply a cold calling/ door to door sales position.
    No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything. The company is completely not diverse, at least 70% were old white males and another 25% were old white women.

Treat employees like an asset not like garbage. Maybe you won't have such huge markets where companies absolutely hate aflac.

Treating the Duck better than Associates

Current Employee - Regional Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Coordinator

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Independence, freedom to control your schedule,

Cons

The company has abandoned its core mission when it comes to the Aflac Sales Associate in the field, which, built the company.

Go back into the field. Home office has forgotten what is like to slug it out on the ground in the field. Come out of the Ivory tower and see for yourselveds.

Frustrating Work

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

You make your own schedule and are your own boss.

Cons

Commission only. Unless you are an experienced salesperson with many connections, this will be a very frustrating job for you. Cold calling, walking in on businesses that mostly don't want anything to do with you. There is a huge turnover of employees at Aflac. I am also leaving shortly.
    There are no warm leads at all. You go through a database, and with MANY agents working in the same state and calling the same places, this is very frustrating. If you have excellent phone skills and are confident, you can make it work. I am leaving because I got sick and tired of hearing "no" all day, and I made hardly any money.

A base pay would be at least an incentive for people to stay.

This Is What You Are Getting Into (Aflac Columbia, MD)

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative  in  Columbia, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Columbia, MD (US)

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You will develop people, cold calling and presentation skills.

Cons

This is a pyramid scheme, they want to bring you in, put you to work cold calling which is fruitless, and don't do themselves. If you want to make money you must canvass. Training is 2 days then they throw you into the fire. It's commission so their is a lot of expense for the first month or two so try and have a part time gig on the weekend. They don't want you learning so they can come with you and take half of your commission. They will try to fleece you down with all your warm network contacts so they can take half the commission, hold back until if and when you get on your own unless you need the money, if you have a good size company through a warm contact then hold back. The people above you when never include you in one of their deals. The "elites" who rake in the cash have health brokers that drop accounts in their lap. You do the grunt work of cold calling and canvassing. Then they will also put you to work trying to recruit people on the same lie that got you on. They will have weekly meeting touting success and opportunity, but that is because the people raking the cash in have brokers, it will be a different story for you. This is a stepping stone job. This was my first sales job out of college and one my ship came in I got on.

They know what they are doing. They don't hire people, they hire to use people to waste time on the phone and drive around town trying to land a small business so they can "help" you enroll to take half the commission while their broker drops them whales that they only share among the inner circle management. But if you keep working hard they might let you in on it. (This is so you keep showing up everyday) selling you on potential instead of reality.

Not a good job for a family man who needs a steady income. unpredictable.

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

big company with good advertising so everyone knows what aflac is but its a hard sell because they want you to get the hr department at a business to let you do a presentation

Cons

straight commission. its hard to even get your foot in the door because you are cold calling on businesses that have usually had multiple aflac agents in prior to you. i felt like a door to door salesman. made almost no money . the money i did make was taken back from me beacuse the company i signed up decided to cancel aflac as a part of their benefits package. i was paid based on one years commission from that company. when i quit i owed aflac money and they were going to send the debt to collections. what a nightmare. run dont look back. no benefits and you are a contractor. even my manager doesnt work there anymore. what a joke. wasted a lot of my time. i will never sell insurance again.

if you have such a great company then pay your agents salaray plus commissions. no benefits offered.

Former employee

I worked at Aflac

Pros

Good commission structure - if you can sell

Cons

Considerable lack of training and support - I made $0.00 the whole year I worked for them. If you are experienced and don't need an immediate income, they are okay to work for, but if you are looking to support a family, go elsewhere.

Keep your promises to support and continue training associates.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!