Aflac Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
Updated 19 September 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential (in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great (in 24 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Coordinators rip you off and get slap on wrist

Current Employee - Associate  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company name!!!! Good products and pay claims like no one else.

Cons

They have breed a culture of greed. Coordinators take any chance they can to get override off peoples work while corporate headquarters turns their heads. Flagrant abuse is given a slap on the wrist. We had to give a percentage of our business on a large enrollment to the coordinators wife for doing nothing. They went on the President's Club cruise, received a slap on wrist and still maintain their position. The state sales coordinator got no punishment and is now rumored to go on a $400,000 salary plus bonus. No wonder veteran associates are writing more and more business for other companies. One associate has a court case against a coordinator that is requesting millions of dollars in compensation. We are hoping they win so Alfac Corp will overhaul Virginia from top to bottom. I hope other states are better than Virginia.

Very informative and willing to train.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive outlook with good product and advancement.

Cons

Takes a while to earn good commission.

Please lay out a formal plan for salary and advancement.

Bad business model

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent  in  Boynton Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Boynton Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Received a lot of support and a welcoming atmosphere which was encouraging starting off with. Lots of training, encouragement, and an overall good culture whenever I was in the office. I really enjoyed the people I worked with.

Cons

100% commission, so unless you're a very experienced salesperson with good connections it will be challenging to make any money. I received no compensation for driving all over town trying to set appointments in a saturated market where most business owners don't want anything to do with you or already have policies. Even when you do get your foot in the door and set appointments there was a tendency for them to flake last minute.

More luck than your higher-ups would ever like to admit is needed to have the great success initially promised with this job. If you can handle working lots of hours with no guaranteed paycheck at the end of the week go for it- I quickly decided this wasn't suited for me.

Base salary would be a great incentive to stick it out. Update the business model since high turnover is a bad sign.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The hype doesn't match the reality.

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Manassas, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Manassas, VA (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genuinely good products to sell. Potential to do well.

Cons

Sales agents are under so much pressure they undermine each other's business and steal appointments from each other. Management sells folks on earning vacations and bonuses that very few will ever qualify for. Expect to spend more money than you earn the first few months.

Don't forget where you came from.

Commission Based

I worked at Aflac

Pros

Flexibility to work in office and from home. Nice people and managers are willing to help you succeed. It''s great if you like to work on your own and you are self-motivated.

Cons

Too many agents, so a lot of cross-over when cold calling. Heavy turn over. Have to get and pay for licensing prior to starting.

Too risky

Former Employee - Benefits Associate  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Benefits Associate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a newcomer, there is lots of training, a welcoming atmosphere, and a competitive environment to inspire you to make sales.

Cons

If you're too young to have a book of business already, you're wasting your time. Most of their techniques are based on people you already know. As a transplant to the area, I made cold calls 98% of the time. Potential clients will get your hopes up, then cancel at the last minute. After months without a sale, I attempted to recruit an individual and presented my supervisors with an untapped market of unemployed individuals to reach out to and was told I could profit from each person that became an employee. The supervisor ignored the former and forgot about the latter.

Respect the efforts of your employees, especially if it's their only chance to make an income.

Good interning experience for the short term, but not recommendable for a full time position

Former Employee - Health and Accident Insurance Producer  in  College Park, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Health and Accident Insurance Producer in College Park, MD (US)

I worked at Aflac part-time for less than a year

Pros

Aflac offered numerous incentives, which were unrealistic for interns to achieve; including 5-8% commissions for interns per health insurance policy interns sell to each business.
    The pro would be gaining experience in how insurance is sold and cold calling potential customers.

Cons

Inadequate employee training, high turnover, pay only by commission and the feeling that management didn't care too much about new hires. Essentially, us interns were thrown to the wolves after a week of training and required to do a lot of cold calling with no success.

Management really needs to consider investing more time and interest into training new hires and teaching the essential skills of hooking and selling potential insurance clients.

Roller coaster

Former Employee - Associate  in  Rapid City, SD (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Rapid City, SD (US)

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It is your own business, you work as much or little as you want.

Cons

It is not as easy as they make it sound.

Turn and burn agents lack of training

Current Employee - Independent Agent  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

Potential for income is limitless if you do not want a family life.

Cons

Lack of training for new agents

Train and some income from corporate for those who are willing to give 100% for a lifetime of financial security.

Not A Job For Most

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

The sky is the limit if you can actually do the job. Minimum supervision. Set your own schedule.

Cons

Dog eat dog. Aflac contracts 100s of associates in your area to flood the market with associates. Management encourages associates to support each other, but really associates mainly support the managers by helping them to win trips and bonuses. 98% fail. The 2% make very good money. There is no real help to succeed past your initial training. If you produce numbers that help the managers, then they will help you. While you are independent Aflac does have a management structure that you must deal with. Once you are successful you can ignore management most of the time. If you are struggling they will try to get you to quit. For every 100 who start, only 1 or 2 remain after 24 months.

Aflac as a company needs to hire the managers instead of having independent ones. Management needs to be consistent. Management should have the highest ethics ( right now it's all about the earnings). If you want clients to see a professional face on the associates, then managers need to be professional. Contract fewer associates. Train those you contract. Reduce the turnover. Clients see the "new faces" coming in their doors. Some clients see new associates every annual enrollment. That is not good for anyone.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!