Akin Gump

Be The First To
Add Photos

Akin Gump Managing Partner Kim Koopersmith

Kim Koopersmith

Good managers and bad managers

Associate Attorney (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat pay, easy to find work within the fast-growing sections, lots of autonomy and respect among lawyers, and great location within D.C. The usual perks of being at a large law firm, with a bit more tech-savvy crop of yound partner than you'd expect.

ConsEasy to get pigeonholed if you're not careful with your development; Lots of work-related travel and, like most biglaw, no work-life balance; High-level management tends to be great but lower level management can sometimes get in the way of getting interesting work; Some high attrition within certain groups, especially where management and clients can be quite difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how to keep people from leaving the firm by preventing them from getting stuck working for the same client or partner; better orientation and training within the section would be great

LA OFFICE-Infighting, politics, layoffs, poor pay for non lawyers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsPartners and associates are rich and well fed.

ConsEveryone not a lawyer is treated like a dog (not in a good way). Long hours, low pay, no job security, threat of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the non lawyers with respect. THEY are WHY you get to bill so many high priced hours. Paralegals and legal secretaries and support staff do most of the work. They arrorneys sign off on the work.

New York Office - supportive despite the fast-paced environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsColleagues are for the most-part very supportive. Management is also supportive. Good benefits.

ConsStressful deadlines lead to an imbalanced work-life schedule.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The technology professionals were both talented and people I sincerely enjoyed working with on a daily basis.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, good management, willingness to buy tools required to complete projects.

ConsAs they got bigger and influence shifted from the DC and Texas offices to the NY office, I felt they put partner compensation above all else. Traditionally they had focused on development and appreciation of both staff and attorneys. Obviously, attracting and retaining the top attorneys is key to the success of any law form, but valuing staff is also important.

Long Timer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsI am and have seen the upward mobility of the firm's employees (staff) over the years.

ConsTimes have changed in the workings of the firm.

Collegial atmosphere. Great compensation. Long Hours.

ProsThe atmosphere is collegial. The compensation is consistently at the top of the market. The management is extremely competent and focused on long-term stability.

ConsAs with all firms, the hours are long and unpredictable. Work-life balance is a constant struggle.

Fabulous Firm!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, positive work environment, beautiful offices, and management with integrity.

ConsBig firm life is demanding and the hours are tough no matter what firm you are in.

Great place to work with good management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsRelaxed work environment with good management. Great benefits and excellent training tools for any necessary jobs/tasks. Nice people to work with.

ConsRigid work schedule (not very flexible on hours). High stress environment. Nothing really else to say. Yes, you have to be able to meet deadlines and what-not, but heh, that's called having a JOB!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease news about the company flowing to the lower levels.

Tax Counsel International

International Tax Counsel (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat people, interesting clients, good relationships and mentoring

ConsGood dealwork requires high time commitment, flexible hours are not possible

Advice to Senior ManagementNone--they know what they are doing

good

Litigation Paralegal (Current Employee) Century City, CA (US)

ProsThe company pays very well

ConsThey hold on to dramatic co-workers

Worked for Akin Gump? Contribute to the Community!